• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Facebook is secretly using your iPhone’s camera as you scroll your feed

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There of been many people saying this very same thing since the introduction of the smart phone. And they were laughed out as conspiracy theory.

Wait until people find out that dual layers of your pages and posts are a real thing too. And the hard layer you don’t see (that keeps everything there that you delete on the “soft layer” you do see), is sold to the highest bidder, and yes that means establishment and governments.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
It's been a long time since I've had an iPhone - does iOS not allow you to manage permissions for each app like Android does?

Breakage

Most people won't care. Privacy isn't as important as it once was for the masses. I mean just look at how many people comfortably live with smart speakers these days.

Papa

Banned
I stopped using social media back in 2012. My Facebook account is still active, I just don’t use it. I saw this big brother shit coming from a mile off and got out as early as possible. They probably still have a lot of my info, but hopefully less than they otherwise would have. Kinda scary to think what these authoritarian freaks are doing with the data given how politically retarded and censorious they are. Especially so since they’re in bed with Chinese assholes.

Tesseract

Banned
when those authoritarian freaks begin to swell, brothers

giphy.gif

John Day

It doesn’t have to be IOs, alarming as it sounds i’m sure any smart phone with an OS can do this.

So yes, even those government hand outs.

Don’t be real on the net, create a persona for shit and giggles.

lefty1117

Gold Member
yes I dropped FB after zuckerberg went from wanting regulation on misleading content, to filing it under free speech. up yours, zuckerberg

Mistake

Reading up on that article about camera permissions makes sense. I always knew that because there is no “one time” option, that it would get abused. I don’t know why apple upgraded location permissions and not the camera. Seems obvious to me

millions of faces busting nuts while looking at their crushes

we'll send your o face to your crush unless you pay us a fee

i mean what benefit is there to look at your face while you scroll

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

I stopped using social media back in 2012. My Facebook account is still active, I just don’t use it. I saw this big brother shit coming from a mile off and got out as early as possible. They probably still have a lot of my info, but hopefully less than they otherwise would have. Kinda scary to think what these authoritarian freaks are doing with the data given how politically retarded and censorious they are. Especially so since they’re in bed with Chinese assholes.

Yep. I quit social media years ago. Its weird because my wife lives on it and I watch her get angry all the time over fake this and that.

I still use twitter but never tweet anything. I just sub to different news and organizations for the latest info, sales, announcements, etc..

-Arcadia-

Banned

Advertising. IIRC, there’s been several patents circulating for years about reading the human face for emotions, and targeting ads accordingly. Likewise, they can probably also track how you’re feeling, and target content appropriately to keep you hooked and visiting as much as possible.

I’m surprised anybody is still left on Facebook. How many times do they have to get caught with their hand right in the cookie jar? It’s crazy what modern people will agree to, as long as they get their comforts.

MilkyJoe

The number of people who put a proverbial gun to their temple and weaponize their own personal data against themselves always astounds me. It's never worth it, you are the product.

Exactly. Anyone that gives a real name on social media, or installs the apps, are out of their minds.

Grinchy

Banned
I hope there is a point in my lifetime where the only people who survive the robot uprising are those who have never had a facebook or myspace account. We could group up together and repopulate the earth, but this time, vapid things like taking pictures of your lunch before eating it will be punishable by death.

Tesseract

Banned
I hope there is a point in my lifetime where the only people who survive the robot uprising are those who have never had a facebook or myspace account. We could group up together and repopulate the earth, but this time, vapid things like taking pictures of your lunch before eating it will be punishable by death.

just another group to walk away from

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
millions of faces busting nuts while looking at their crushes

we'll send your o face to your crush unless you pay us a fee

Analysis of what part of the screen you’re looking at, more metrics on engagement and personal habits, so they can tune the experience to capture your attention longer and optimize advertising. Even a 1% or 2% difference at that scale makes them a significant amount of money.

Of course, they could still run successful services without any of it, and with timelines that you can sort by time rather than an algorithmic black box, and there wouldn’t be all these ideological bubbles forming or ethical concerns coming to light.

But that 2% extra profit margin...

keraj37

Analysis of what part of the screen you’re looking at, more metrics on engagement and personal habits, so they can tune the experience to capture your attention longer and optimize advertising. Even a 1% or 2% difference at that scale makes them a significant amount of money.

Of course, they could still run successful services without any of it, and with timelines that you can sort by time rather than an algorithmic black box, and there wouldn’t be all these ideological bubbles forming or ethical concerns coming to light.

But that 2% extra profit margin...

Since you here, do you sell neogaf users data to 3rd parties like Indonesian government and like?
Just asking....
"Joke of course, but better to be clear about my intentions."

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

people thought they was just only upgrading the camera for better picture quality every year, most people don’t have nothing to worry about, unless you are famous or your doing some real big illegal things you don’t need to worry, just keep your personal stuff off the net.

Starfield

They collect data of you even when you don't have a fb account.

We live in a world where people spend all day taking photos of themselves and putting pictures of their di ner on the internet.

The phone recording them BY ITSELF will be welcomed by such morons

Shifty

The official excuse is something to the effect of "we screwed up a bugfix to stop it opening in the wrong orientation, and because the quick access camera is adjacent to the feed screen it activated by accident. we're not recording or transmitting any video, because the camera is only in preview mode."

Make of that what you will. Seems plausible enough from a frontend engineering standpoint, but you know how it is with these social media fuckos.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I feel safer now, thanks! ;)
If he doesn't own and host the servers himself it probably doesn't mean much. Even if he does, there are probably hacking webcrawlers to mine it clandestinely. The people buying your information don't care who they buy it from or how that person got it.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Especially so since they’re in bed with Chinese assholes.
Horrifying.

Why can’t they just be in bed with that bastion of privacy and democracy that is the U.S. Government instead? They would never spy, censor or do anything untoward to the average citizen.

It’s a travesty, really. :pie_eyeroll:

Papa

Banned
Horrifying.

Why can’t they just be in bed with that bastion of privacy and democracy that is the U.S. Government instead? They would never spy, censor or do anything untoward to the average citizen.

Big Brain Scopes unwittingly selling us out to the CCP

Tesseract

Banned
Horrifying.

i think we're enemies now

Papa

Banned
Just don’t bleet like a sheep. You are way smarter than that, my Aussie brother.

Seriously though, it’s pretty silly calling me a sheep since I’ve been discussing the dangers of China since long before the media narrative switched from Russia to China (with a brief, on-going detour through Ukraine). Just search my posts with China as a keyword. The narrative is starting to conform to things I’ve said, not the other way around.

Top Bottom