• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factor 5 reacquires Turrican license (Interview with Factor 5 founder)

It's more than that. Fast runs at 640x720 on Wii U and 1280x720 with better frame rate and graphics on Switch. That suggests it's at least 2x more powerful when undocked and we don't even know if shinen used fp16. This is also still a port, not a game made for Switch from the scratch.

I don't see how you can draw that conclusion based off of one game that probably wasn't that well optimized when it first came out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't see how you can draw that conclusion based off of one game that probably wasn't that well optimized when it first came out.

I don't know if I'd ever criticize anything Shin'en does as "not optimized."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Is Fast RMX a better one?

My question when it comes to using Fast RMX as a comparison would be what was bottleneck for FRN that made Shin'en use the checkerboard rendering?

I mean look at MK8. It run at 720p60fps on Wii U and it will be 1080p60fps on Switch.

What made FRN more resource intensive than MK8?

So far we have these:

Zelda: adaptive 648-720p on Wii U, adaptive 810-900p on Switch
MK8: 720p on Wii U, 1080p on Switch
Fast R: checkerboard 720p on Wii U, adaptive 900-1080p on Switch (with drops below 900p at times and the promise that a future firmware will fix it at 1080p)
Splatoon: 720p on Wii U, 720p on Switch (but still in development)

RootCause

Switch undocked is still better than the wiiu. That's the one thing I'm sure about. 😛

I think much worse CPU, slightly better gpu. Also has huge advantage from being a dedicated gaming platform with better tools etc.
That's what it really comes down to. If the switch had something like an A9X chip. It would perform better than the iPad pro that has the A9X chip. Shame those chips don't get used to the fullest potential.

beril

So you can switch between fp16 and fp32 mid frame? That makes fp16 performance extremely relevant.

fp16 is something you specify per variable in your shader code. so yes you're absolutely mixing fp16 and fp32.

The problem with fp16 on maxwell though is that not all instructions are supported, so in more complex shaders you'll be converting values back and forth between fp32 and fp16, and may loose any potential benefits if you use it incorrectly. So you're unlikely to get an x2 increase in performance for using fp16; then again FLOPS is and has always been a bullshit number.

Fredrik

I mean judging off handheld performance in Zelda alone we know the Switch can out do Wii U which had games like:

There shouldn't really be any question if it can out perform PS3 games.
Problem is that PS3 was impressive because of devs like Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream, Guerrilla Games, Sony Santa Monica etc and is there any dev who makes games for Nintendo consoles that could compete with those for visuals? Maybe Retro Studios but then what? So I'm thinking that the majority of the games on Switch might still end up looking worse than many AAA PS3 games.

disap.ed

fp16 is something you specify per variable in your shader code. so yes you're absolutely mixing fp16 and fp32.

The problem with fp16 on maxwell though is that not all instructions are supported, so in more complex shaders you'll be converting values back and forth between fp32 and fp16, and may loose any potential benefits if you use it incorrectly. So you're unlikely to get an x2 increase in performance for using fp16; then again FLOPS is and has always been a bullshit number.

Good to have you here; do you have anything in the works for the Switch? I would even triple-tip on Gunman Clive.

I think BotW is the biggest, best looking game on a PORTABLE device til now. I think Mario Odysse will be awesome too. And the Project Retro is working on.

Shiggy

They DIDN'T have the rights.

He said they have Switch Dev Kits.

They also had Wii U dev kits. They created the VoD technology.

They have the Terri can rights for some time already though. Both Trenz and Huelsbeck would be on board according to an interview from last year.

geordiemp

Lol. So 1080p60 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is fake? ;)

LOL racing game, you do know that Wipeout 3 was 1080p60 in 2008, 9 years ago.

Taxing genres for console CPU / GPU / Bandwidth are large open world games and density of enemies and NPC's.

There is a reason people talk about Witcher 3 or the like on performance and can hardware do this for that game. Do I think Scorpio could run Witcher 3 at 60 FPS - hell no. Do I think Switch could run Witcher 3 and look decent - hell no.

If your hoping a kart racer or 2d platformer performance is an indication of power its going to be a long generation for you.

jdmonmou

I think Nintendo missed an opportunity by not going with the tegra 2 processor in the Switch. Most people would have gladly paid an extra $100 to buy a more powerful Switch at $399. But now that we have a general idea of where the Switch is performance wise I think it can still get third party support if sales continue to be strong. Hopefully, third parties will start to port over their AAA games (e.g. Red Dead Redemption 2, Madden, etc.) over to the Switch. I'm hoping for some big announcements come E3. This can keep Switch a strong platform until they release an iterative upgrade 2 years from now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think Nintendo missed an opportunity by not going with the tegra 2 processor in the Switch. Most people would have gladly paid an extra $100 to buy a more powerful Switch at $399. But now that we have a general idea of where the Switch is performance wise I think it can still get third party support if sales continue to be strong. Hopefully, third parties will start to port over their AAA games (e.g. Red Dead Redemption 2, Madden, etc.) over to the Switch. I'm hoping for some big announcements come E3. This can keep Switch a strong platform until they release an iterative upgrade 2 years from now.

Maybe Tegra X2 was just not ready for the show. We don't have any small device using Tegra X2 yet.

beril

Good to have you here; do you have anything in the works for the Switch? I would even triple-tip on Gunman Clive.

I have a devkit and have my code running on it, but failed to make any headway with the game I've been working on. I've been kindof depressed and not been able to get a lot of work done for the last year or so, so right now I'm just taking some time off.

I don't know if I'd ever criticize anything Shin'en does as "not optimized."

Maybe they didn't have good development tools on the Wii U. I wouldn't just automatically claim the Switch undocked is twice as powerful just because the development environment made it easier for them to utilize the hardware.

I think Nintendo missed an opportunity by not going with the tegra 2 processor in the Switch. Most people would have gladly paid an extra $100 to buy a more powerful Switch at $399.

I really doubt that Nintendo breaks into the main market with a $400 USD device just to get a pascal based chip.

emag

I think Nintendo missed an opportunity by not going with the tegra 2 processor in the Switch. Most people would have gladly paid an extra $100 to buy a more powerful Switch at $399.

NVIDIA is pricing the Tegra X2 board (Jetson TX2) alone at $399. That's without any display, card readers, housing, input buttons, fans, batteries, etc.

I always wanted a portable device that runs a game like Skyrim or Oblivion. Now we got a BETTER and bigger game than these two (Zelda ofc) and as a Bonus we get Skyrim too lol.

Problem is that PS3 was impressive because of devs like Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream, Guerrilla Games, Sony Santa Monica etc and is there any dev who makes games for Nintendo consoles that could compete with those for visuals? Maybe Retro Studios but then what? So I'm thinking that the majority of the games on Switch might still end up looking worse than many AAA PS3 games.

You're right that we probably won't get too many games on the scale and budget of Sony's first party PS3 efforts but games like the upcoming Unreal Engine 4 Shin Megami Tensei, Sonic Project 2017 and Dragon Quest 11 will likely look much better than anything on PS3. Heck even games we have now like Breath of the Wild and FAST RMX surpass comparable PS3 games:

wipeout-hd-fury-playstation-3-ps3-014.jpg

screenshot25.jpg
(Wipeout HD on top, FAST RMX on the bottom)

I get where you're coming from but I think there will be at least a handful of games that surpass AAA PS3 efforts, even the Switch's Skyrim will no doubt surpass the PS3 version.

DLaicH

LOL racing game, you do know that Wipeout 3 was 1080p60 in 2008, 9 years ago.

Taxing genres for console CPU / GPU / Bandwidth are large open world games and density of enemies and NPC's.

There is a reason people talk about Witcher 3 or the like on performance and can hardware do this for that game. Do I think Scorpio could run Witcher 3 at 60 FPS - hell no. Do I think Switch could run Witcher 3 and look decent - hell no.

If your hoping a kart racer or 2d platformer performance is an indication of power its going to be a long generation for you.

He's talking about a direct apples to apples comparison between the Wii U version of Mario Kart 8 (which ran at 720p60) and the Switch version of Mario Kart 8 (which runs at 1080p60). That DOES shed some light on the power difference between the Wii U and Switch, because clearly the Wii U's GPU was not able to handle 1080p for the same game.

Maybe they didn't have good development tools on the Wii U. I wouldn't just automatically claim the Switch undocked is twice as powerful just because the development environment made it easier for them to utilize the hardware.

Development tools quality is a big factor in how powerful a console is though... APIs determine how much of the hardware power you can effectively use.

Majine

Banned
I get where you're coming from but I think there will be at least a handful of games that surpass AAA PS3 efforts, even the Switch's Skyrim will no doubt surpass the PS3 version.

That's hardly something to brag about.

Skyrim PS3s performance was right next to dinosaur bones.

Worse textures than what? Surely it can't be the 360. The switch has it beat on just about every category. :p

We are talking about Mass Effect Andromeda.

I said if RotTR is possible on X360, a game like Andromeda is possible too on Switch but with fewer effects, worse textures and resolution.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
NVIDIA is pricing the Tegra X2 board (Jetson TX2) alone at $399. That's without any display, card readers, housing, input buttons, fans, batteries, etc.

Jetson TX 2 has a Tegra X2: 256-core Pascal GPU and two 64-bit Denver CPU cores paired with four Cortex-A57 CPUs in an HMP configuration and 8GB of 128-bit LPDDR4 RAM. So not really a good comparison for price.

Anyhow TX2 in Switch it's a moot point.

Development tools quality is a big factor in how powerful a console is though... APIs determine how much of the hardware power you can effectively use.

True. Look at the Dreamcast and Soul Calibur or the GameCube with Rogue Leader. Both launch games and both consoles were easy to develop for.

That's hardly something to brag about.

Skyrim PS3s performance was right next to dinosaur bones.

I'm aware and I'm not using that example to demonstrate what the system can do, just saying we'll have games that technically surpass what the PS3 put out. Skyrim was indeed a bad port so perhaps when we get Switch footage of Sonic 2017 we can compare it to Sonic Generations/Unleashed which were very pretty and well made PS3 games.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I agree with you, I just thought it was an odd statement considering how fantastic Shin'en have been with optimizing software.

Pooya

there is a grand canyon between WiiU and Xbone and switch is much closer to the former than latter. Meaningless comment.

This is great news, thanks for posting this, OP!

I really miss Factor 5's SW games. I would love it if they made a game for the Switch. I feel like Factor 5 had an interesting 3rd person game they were working on during the N64 days thats got put on the backburner for SW GC games? I may be wrong. I might be thinking of a 3rd person game Retro was working on

tkscz

I wonder if:

Switch = Dreamcast
Xbone = PS2
PS4 = GC or XBOX

is more or less of an apt comparison.

More like

Switch = PS2 - games can be downported but effects have to be rmeoved for it to happen
XBO = GC - Supports a lot of current shaders, but not the easiest to get the most out of.
PS4 = XB - Can get the most out of it graphically

No they wouldn't have. Most people would have flipped the heck out. People were already making pricing comparisons to ps4 before release.

Top Bottom