• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factorio - Official Release

RedVIper

Banned
factorio-logo.png

rocket-man.png

About the game:

Factorio is a game in which you build and maintain factories.

You will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating production and fighting enemies. Use your imagination to design your factory, combine simple elements into ingenious structures, apply management skills to keep it working, and protect it from the creatures who don't really like you.

Modding:

To me modding has elevated this game from really good, to excellent, so here are a few noteworthy mods that change the game.

Krastorio 2

This is the closest thing we have to a Factorio+ experience, extremely polished, extremely pretty, the man responsible really is a good artist, some of the things he adds with this mod surpass even vanilla. It increases complexity ever so slightly, but nothing overwhelming. Can be combined with Space Exploration for an even better experience.

Space Exploration

This mod really changes the game, it allows you to build spaceships, build space stations, visit entire new planets and establish inter planetary factories. The official devs talked about doing something similar, but after they dropped the idea, the community made it come to life. Some of the chains can be somewhat complex, but it's mostly focused on end and post game.

Bobs&Angels

This combination of mods from two different authors is meant to take the vannila game and turn it into a much more robust and complex experience, with many more items and processes to set up, this modpack will let you sink another 200h into the game while you try to optimize you factory. Complete overhaul.

Pyanodons

The most complex mod to date, most engineers haven't dared to try it, and those who did didn't live to finish it. This mod really is extremely complex, where many processes are almost identical to their real life counterparts. This will be hard even for the most experienced of engineers, not recommended even if you already beaten the vanilla game, give one of the easier mods a go first. Expand every stage of the game, beating one of the first games challenges (automating tier 1 science) takes me almost as long as it takes me to finish the vanilla game. Be warned.

Reviews: (Most are somehow outdated, but they're still relevant)

Where to get?

The game can be purchased at the official website, Steam Early Access, GOG and the Humble Store. There is also a demo available.

I personally recommend buying the game from the official site directly, you'll still get a steam key if you do this, and the developers won't have to pay the 30% steam cut.

Requirements

The game is unfortunately PC exclusive as of now, it can be played on Windows or Linux. The games requirements scale with the size of your factory, even the mightiest of CPU's will crumble to their knees if you build big enough,, but the game has been extremely optimized to allow you to play even on weak CPUs. VRAM limitations can be an issue on the biggest modpacks. If your CPU can't keep up anymore the game will literally slow down.

So long and thanks for all the fish
nuclear-cheers.png

Guilty_AI

Will the price remain the same or there'll be a rise?

"The game is unfortunately PC exclusive as of now". Feels really refreshing reading the words 'exclusive' and 'unfortunately' on the same phrase

RedVIper

Banned
Will the price remain the same or there'll be a rise?

"The game is unfortunately PC exclusive as of now". Feels really refreshing reading the words 'exclusive' and 'unfortunately' on the same phrase

The devs have committed to keep the same price, there will be no discounts or price increases.

The game did use to be cheaper earlier in development.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Props to them for saying, hey this is it, love it or leave it. THATS called freedom of choice.

Wube is easily one of my favourite developers.

They go away and beyond to fix bugs, they work really hard to create features just for modders. One of the devolopers used to stream when he was working on the game, I was watching him, reported a bug, he fixed it mid stream and I got a new release a few hours later.

The game has been on early acess for years and it has always been more stable than virtually any game release these days.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Some good friends and I have been playing this co op as a weekly hangout, it’s been really fun. You should all give it a shot

etp_1

Legitimately one of the best games I've ever played. The change from its initial release to the full 1.0 is pretty astounding. Early access done right.

That is my take as well. I really love this game, even if i am not playing it that much anymore. Worth every penny and it is no coincidence that it is rated very high on steam.
It is quite laughable to have people cough at the price when it isn't really that expensive knowing what you get and comparing it to other fullprice titles which aren't half as good. The mods put so many more hours on the experience...but admittedly it may not be a game for everyone.

That is my take as well. I really love this game, even if i am not playing it that much anymore. Worth every penny and it is no coincidence that it is rated very high on steam.
It is quite laughable to have people cough at the price when it isn't really that expensive knowing what you get and comparing it to other fullprice titles which aren't half as good. The mods put so many more hours on the experience...but admittedly it may not be a game for everyone.
But I'm sure it cost a fraction of the price of an AA or AAA game that cost the same. Not saying that it's not as good, and I do like indie games, I just find that I spend less time with the generally and they are a bit shallower, which is fine and what I like them for. Pallet cleaners if you will. I'm not sure I'm willing to drop 20 on something I might only get 5 hours from.

I'm really hopeful with both next-gen consoles supporting m/kb that more games like these get releases.

IMO it's ok to put these games on console without controller support. Just straight-up tell people you need a mouse and keyboard to play this game. I see no reason why the XSX or the PS5 can't run this game.

RedVIper

Banned
But I'm sure it cost a fraction of the price of an AA or AAA game that cost the same. Not saying that it's not as good, and I do like indie games, I just find that I spend less time with the generally and they are a bit shallower, which is fine and what I like them for. Pallet cleaners if you will. I'm not sure I'm willing to drop 20 on something I might only get 5 hours from.

If you only get 5h from the game its because you didn't play the game. 5h for a first timer won't be enough to make any progress. I'd say you should expect atleast 40h just to "finish" the game, and by that I mean launch your first rocket.

RedVIper

Banned
I'm really hopeful with both next-gen consoles supporting m/kb that more games like these get releases.

IMO it's ok to put these games on console without controller support. Just straight-up tell people you need a mouse and keyboard to play this game. I see no reason why the XSX or the PS5 can't run this game.

Besides kb being pretty much needed to play this game, you might also get console players complaining about performance because they don't understand that the bigger your factory the more demanding your game is going to get.

I also worry about mod support on consoles, this game really excels with mods.

Besides kb being pretty much needed to play this game, you might also get console players complaining about performance because they don't understand that the bigger your factory the more demanding your game is going to get.

I also worry about mod support on consoles, this game really excels with mods.
Put a limit on it then that tells players they're reaching the limits of the console.

Edit- Or don't, really. Xbox and PS5 owners will quickly understand how far they can go. I'd rather play a 'flawed' game then not play the game in the first place.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
I put 1500 hours into this game before it officially released. I played vanilla versions as they got updated, then played with mods. It is legitimately one of my favorite games of all time. I bought this on Steam when it was first offered and it has been interesting seeing it evolve over time. I have been going through my backlog atm but I definitely want to play 1.0 now that it is out.

Just opened a new game with a good friend and his gf. Made her our automation-slave; she has to build all the complex chains to get to know them as she's new to the game.
Wanted to "just start a game". Just logged out 7h later at 2am.

Still one of the best games ever made.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Put a limit on it then that tells players they're reaching the limits of the console.

Edit- Or don't, really. Xbox and PS5 owners will quickly understand how far they can go. I'd rather play a 'flawed' game then not play the game in the first place.

Not a bad idea. Just enable the UPS cou ter and warn players when the game starts running below the desired 60.

Top Bottom