• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Factorio - Optimising Factories & Slaying Monsters [SpaceChem fans get in here]

Purkake4

Banned
Some fun Factorio facts:

3 years of Factorio in numbers

The initial Factorio commit was done 31.3. 2012, so Factorio is in the development for 3 years and 11 days.

Our effort in numbers:

In development for 1106 days.
88 public releases.
14 082 commits in the master branch.
204 917 lines of code, 546 339 words and 7 693 483 characters, this is equivalent to 15 average books.
20 791 different sprites with 54 114 147 non empty pixels.
1492 resolved bugs (only counting those reported on our forums).
3027 lines in the changelog.

Results in:

56 500 Youtube videos
403 000 Google hits of factorio.
873 509 unique visits of www.factorio.com
75 146 forum posts
and finally 74 914 copies sold.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
75k sold units is still nowhere near the potential of the game, but considering its still super under-the-radar, the number is rather impressive.

They still haven't actually launched.
If there ever was an indie who'd deserved a million copies, this is it.

Purkake4

Banned
75k sold units is still nowhere near the potential of the game, but considering its still super under-the-radar, the number is rather impressive.
Considering that it's pretty much a low-fi supply chain simulator at the moment, I think it's great. And those sales are pretty much pure profit as they're just selling it on their website.

Purkake4

Banned
0.12 is out now, some of the changelog:

Features

The game is now finished by launching the rocket with satellite.
Added chain signals, they can be used to make more complicated junctions and stations without deadlocks.
Added personal roboport as modular armor equipment.
Once it is active, it uses the materials and robots in the players inventory.
It supports all the tasks construction robots can do like building blueprints, repairing structures, deconstruction etc.
Added logistic trash fields to the character gui.
They supply items into the logistic system in the same way active provider chests do.
Added combinators (Arithmetic Combinator, Decider Combinator and Constant combinator).
These allow more advanced manipulation with the circuit network logic (https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-88)
The Lamp, Storage Tank, Small Pump and Offshore Pump can be connected to the circuit network.
Multiplayer latency hiding (gives impression that some common tasks are performed immediately)
Applies to character movement, mining buildings, building, fast replacing, opening guis, etc.
Stone brick can be used to build stone path. (30% walking speed increase).
Concrete can be created.
The concrete can be used to build concrete floors (40% walking speed increase).
Terrain modifies vehicle friction force (sand: 1.8, grass: 1.6, dirt: 1.4, stone path: 1.1, concrete: 0.8).
Trees degenerate slowly when there high pollution levels.
Lab research is now continuous. Science packs have progress bars of usage.
This means that 20 labs doing research with 10 units will still be faster than 10
labs and the science packs aren't wasted.
Assembling machine input slot can contain more than the usual stack size when the recipe requirement demands it (3 X recipe demand).
Example: The rocket silo requires 1000 steel, while the stack size is 100, but the input stack can hold enough.
Added / updated sounds for biters, spitters, worm, spawner, flamethrower, tank, lasers, etc.
New ambient soundtrack added.
Added mechanism that prevents playing track that was played recently.
The ambient player alternates between neutral wind/environment sounds and soundtrack songs.
Mousing over a train will show you its current path and blocks it can't enter.
Locomotives now show the contents of attached cargo wagons in their tooltip.
Trees regenerate health slowly.
Added support for transferring contents/settings when fast-replacing all entity types.
Added modules to the alt-view for entities that support modules.
Factorio can run as a dedicated server without graphics (http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/inde ... ess_server).
Basic PvP: New forces can now be created and merged back together; a cease-fire can be agreed upon between forces
IPv6 support for multiplayer.
DNS names can be used when connecting to multiplayer game.
Enabled mining trees/ghosts while holding blueprints to be built.
Added explosive cannon shells.
Building blueprints over existing ghosts restores the ghost time to live to full.

Aureon

I kind of expected more, honestly. Multiplayer has been a gigantic pit into which programming resources have been thrown endlessly for more than the life of this game.

ReijMan

I kind of expected more, honestly. Multiplayer has been a gigantic pit into which programming resources have been thrown endlessly for more than the life of this game.
What BS statement is this?
The studio itself is also reorganising, they're teaching their new hires, and also this update brought a lot of new functionality and some reworked inner-workings (way goods are transported via belts for example).

Why is multiplayer a pit? Why is it gigantic? Why endlessly? Why more than the life of this game? What do you tink is the life of this game? And more importantly, on what information did you base your BS statement?

Aureon

What BS statement is this?
The studio itself is also reorganising, they're teaching their new hires, and also this update brought a lot of new functionality and some reworked inner-workings (way goods are transported via belts for example).

Why is multiplayer a pit? Why is it gigantic? Why endlessly? Why more than the life of this game? What do you tink is the life of this game? And more importantly, on what information did you base your BS statement?

What?
Factorio used to release patches of this size, (and actually bigger) every 2-3 months.
0.4 - May 2013
0.5 - June 2013
0.6 - August 2013
0.7 - September 2013
0.8 - Dicember 2013
0.9 - February 2014
== Beginning of MP work ==
0.10 - June 2014
0.11 - October 2014
0.12 - July 2015

From release to MP work start there were six patches in 9 months.
Since MP has been worked on, there have been three patches in 17 months, with next to no non-MP features added (With the exception of the combinators in 0.12.)

Additionally, the MP is still a wonky P2P protocol that cannot actually work server-client as was promised - leading to port hassles and whatnot.
The game wasn't built for MP, and converting it to MP has been a project that's now more than half the time since release - and it's still not really working, requiring open ports and low pings.

While i have factorio in my top 5 games of all time, MP support ended up being a black hole of resources, even in spite of more programmers being hired.
Also, why are you so aggressive?

ReijMan

Hmmz, maybe it was a bit to agressive, but I don't like to see a wonderfull game ruined by a wave of ungrounded negativism.
Multiplayer also has good sides, in my case, it sold another 10 copies to me and my friends :)
They've acknowledged in latest Friday facts that the initial version after the multiplayer version took extra effort bugfixing.
There is also the groundwork for some system overhauls and implementation of proper testing tools though.
All in all I wouldn't just call it "a gigantic pit into which programming resources have been thrown endlessly for more than the life of this game.".

Aureon

That's exactly what it is, though. It has taken more programming resources than the rest of the game, at this point.
It sold my friends a few copies, too, but eh. At this point, they even ackowledge that it wasn't a good decision - perhaps remaking the game from the ground-up would've been faster.

I reiterate that i'm an EXTREME Factorio fan, i'm not bringing it down. It's an amazing game as it is. I'm just upset at what it could've been if they developed the core instead of the mp.

Thraktor

I'm amazed I haven't heard of this until now. I love economic supply chain management strategy games like the Settlers and Anno series, build-a-mechanism-to-solve-a-problem games like Spacechem and defensive RTS games like Stronghold. I got kind of obsessed with building a stupidly complicated item distribution system in Minecraft, and even the conveyor belts and trains in Factorio give me a serious Transport Tycoon vibe, which is another old favourite of mine. It's literally as if someone went through my gaming history and built a game where "Target audience" in their business proposals just had a picture of me in it.

Anyway, before I jump in, have they given any indication if they'll be giving Steam codes to people who buy direct from them? I imagine they will, but I don't want to be caught out if the game goes up on Steam tomorrow and I'm stuck with a non-Steam version.

I reiterate that i'm an EXTREME Factorio fan, i'm not bringing it down. It's an amazing game as it is. I'm just upset at what it could've been if they developed the core instead of the mp.

To be fair, I'm not sure they have many more ideas about what else to implement into the game. Unless there's a roadmap full of exciting things that's been frozen for a few years?

Aureon

To be fair, I'm not sure they have many more ideas about what else to implement into the game. Unless there's a roadmap full of exciting things that's been frozen for a few years?

Factorio forthcoming said:
Factorio 0.12 (End of June)

Multiplayer enhancements (lag hiding, better pvp/forces support)
First part of the endgame content. (Build rocket and send it to space).
Chain signals (trains).
Combinator and more circuit logic.
Personal roboport
Optimisation of the game simulation speed (mainly transport belt simulation)
New graphics of combat robots
Attempt of steam integration

Factorio 0.13 (2015)

Second part of the endgame (space platform building)
(maybe) Proper tech tree.
(maybe) Oil extension (boiler for oil, oil wagon).
Remake of turrets. Also new type of turrets.
Fight revisit (balancing, tanks more enemies variety, ...)
And there's plenty more request for comments on potential features (RFCs by the devs) on the forums.

So, yeah.

Thraktor

Naturally the first thing I do in a game like this is factories building factories...

factoriesbuildingfactories.jpg

Dysfunctional

Neo Member
Is anyone hosting a GAF server?
Or is there a server where we can get together and play?
Mind you, i am typing this, without having read through the whole thread.

drotahorror

This is not my type of game but I thought the demo was really cool and I dig the artstyle. I definitely plan on grabbin this on a sale or just when there's nothing else to do.

Top Bottom