• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake 120fps mode on Xbox Series X

GHG

It’s the same on any console. Why just talk about xbox?

8035fefd1c3eafc97350bfc75cb2734cfcd04b4a_hq.gif

REDRZA MWS

Playing on a LG CX with hdmi 2.1 and OMG do the games that support 120fps mode suck ass.... it’s not constant 120fps it’s up to 120...more like averaging 80fps.

this is so disappointing that they can’t even find setttings on console for this framerate.
Try setting your resolution to 1080p

Codes 208

lol, it’s feels like we barely just started getting locked 60fps on consoles. Next time I recommend checking digital foundry for games to check framerate quality.
Which games have you tried?

I think cold war supports it but it is maybe 1080 or 900p
Cold War supports it but it’s not a locked 120fps. The campaign struggles staying over 100fps and the multiplayer dips quite a bit.

Honest question, but is going from 120 fps to 80 fps really noticeable? I wouldn't think it would be as jarring as going from 60 fps to 30 fps. There are some people that don't even notice much of a difference at the lower fps.

AGRacing

Some of you are being a bit dramatic about "expecting 120 fps on a console lol". The power to do it on quite a few games is there. I think more will come. I've had great experiences on Fortnite, COD and Rogue Company on my C9.

Fortnite (1440p on X) does 120 damn near locked. Fps counter is available on that game.

Banned
Playing on a LG CX with hdmi 2.1 and OMG do the games that support 120fps mode suck ass.... it’s not constant 120fps it’s up to 120...more like averaging 80fps.

this is so disappointing that they can’t even find setttings on console for this framerate.

thus highly depends on your game... wtf are you talking about? CoD runs very stable and Fortnite is always aboce 100fps

TheMan

how you liking that cx btw?

I'm in the market for a nice TV and i've heard good things about that model

ethomaz

Banned
Did you tried to turn VRR on?

Honest question, but is going from 120 fps to 80 fps really noticeable? I wouldn't think it would be as jarring as going from 60 fps to 30 fps. There are some people that don't even notice much of a difference at the lower fps.
Big drops are more noticeable than smaller ones... so 120 to 80 is a bit more noticeable than 60 to 30.

Both are bad btw... you having an average +-5fps will give you a better experience... like 45-50fps.... of course constant framerate is the best.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I’ve tried Dirt 5 and halo MCC. Dirt 5 had unstable frame rate but the big problem is that it looked very ugly in that mode. MCC on the other side is a great experience and the frame rate is stable, but the games are old.

I don’t think 120 FPS on consoles will exist past the cross gen phase except for a couple indies and maybe fighting games.

Dirt 5 is a very stable 120 fps with very few drops. Ori at 4K120 is locked. Haven't tried anything else, but I believe OP only played DMC5.

In any case, if you really are playing on a LG CX, that means you also have VRR. Anything above 60 fps with VRR is smooth as butter so not sure what's the ruckus.

Finally, I haven't seen a single game with a 120HZ option that isn't averaging 110+ on either PS5 or Series X at the very least sooooooooooo........

Last edited:

nkarafo

Unless you have a freesync/G-Sync/variable refresh rate panel, any fluctuation in frame rate will be visible and jarring, regardless how low or high it is.

TheMan

What's your use case? If you game 10h/day or aren't in a dark room I'd look for an LCD TV.

Yeah the TV would get a lot of gaming time and the room is not very dark during the day.

Did you check out any LCD that seemed good when you were considering your LG?

Dream-Knife

Banned
They advertised 120fps for the PS3 too. As tech evolves, older hardware becomes less capable.

Also: frame rates are only locked if the hardware is significantly more powerful than needed. You're not going to find that on a $500 box that plays modern games on medium.

Unless you have a freesync/G-Sync/variable refresh rate panel, any fluctuation in frame rate will be visible and jarring, regardless how low or high it is.

I honestly am not so sure about that and I speak as someone who is sensitive to tearing and judders. I bought a laptop with a 240HZ 1080p display more than a year ago and this display does not have G-sync. I was a bit bummed out about it but since the specs and price were good, I pulled the trigger anyway. That said, every game I play that can maintain a properly adequate fps, I disable V-sync and the refresh rate is so high that you can't reallty notice the fluctuation and or tearing, unless you really look for it. If you're just playing the game without focusing on those aspects then it feels amazing, so long as your fps is high enough.

Last edited:

Big drops are more noticeable than smaller ones... so 120 to 80 is a bit more noticeable than 60 to 30.

Both are bad btw... you having an average +-5fps will give you a better experience... like 45-50fps.... of course constant framerate is the best.

This is flat out wrong. 60 down to 30 is a bigger drop percentage wise compared to 120 down to 80. Also the higher the frame rate is, the less noticeable a drop is because it is still at a higher frame rate and thus smoother than the 30-60fps bracket.

You will still get stuttering or screen tearing if you can't reach a 120fps lock but it's not as bad as when you can't hold a 60fps lock.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Were you also one of those that believed every game would be 60 fps last generation just because Sony said it?

It’s the same on any console. Why just talk about xbox?
It%27s_The_Law_Meme_Banner.jpg

MtZ9N.gif

Omni_Manhatten

Neo Member
Does the LG CX have a FPS counter?

All TV have LFC for 40FPS or less to help games at like 30FPS. That’s older 2.0 tech. Low frame compensation. VRR is for 40FPS - 120FPS. I don’t have any issues with my CX. You can check the owners forum on AVS there isn’t some problem with VRR and the S/X. Some Xbox had HDMI cords that were faulty and causing handshake issues but you can purchase a Zeskit 8K 2.1 cord and that has proven a clean fix with no issues.

nkarafo

I honestly am not so sure about that and I speak as someone who is sensitive to tearing and judders. I bought a laptop with a 240HZ 1080p display more than a year ago and this display does not have G-sync. I was a bit bummed out about it but since the specs and price were good, I pulled the trigger anyway. That said, every game I play that can maintain a properly adequate fps, I disable V-sync and the refresh rate is so high that you can't reallty notice the fluctuation and or tearing, unless you really look for it. If you're just playing the game without focusing on those aspects then it feels amazing, so long as your fps is high enough.
Well, if you disable vsync then you must be getting screen tearing, which is even worse.

Ulysses 31

Yeah the TV would get a lot of gaming time and the room is not very dark during the day.

Did you check out any LCD that seemed good when you were considering your LG?
I have the luxury of owning both LG CX and Samsung Q950TS QLED. I use the QLED as monitor so it gets way more use. The CX I use more as TV from time to time and sometimes I use my Series X on it, will use it more once I get a PS5 too. Picture quality wise they're close(IMO) but the OLED does have some nice extra sharpness from the infinite contrast.

I'm a bit of a Samsung fanboy atm though so if money's not too tight I'd look at their higher end models(Q80/Q90 (2020) QN80/QN90 (2021)).

Last edited:

Dude. You are on a $500 console.
Last Gen was mostly 30, and people expect 120 on current Gen?

60>120 is harder to achieve then 30>60.

Well, if you disable vsync then you must be getting screen tearing, which is even worse.
Which is my point, at high framerate with high refresh rate, tearing isn much, much less perceptible. I actually need to focus the screen and concentrate to spot some. Nowhere near the same as tearing on a 60hz screen. Again, the key here here is high fps coupled with high refresh rate. If you have a low fps then tearing will still be very noticeable even on a 240hz display.

All TV have LFC for 40FPS or less to help games at like 30FPS. That’s older 2.0 tech. Low frame compensation. VRR is for 40FPS - 120FPS. I don’t have any issues with my CX. You can check the owners forum on AVS there isn’t some problem with VRR and the S/X. Some Xbox had HDMI cords that were faulty and causing handshake issues but you can purchase a Zeskit 8K 2.1 cord and that has proven a clean fix with no issues.

I looked for those since they had great reviews, but I ended up taking the Cable Matters 3-pack, which like the name implies, is a pack 3 cables that can manage 48Gbps. 3 of them, less expensive. Took a leap of faith here but in the end I can confirm they do the job perfectly fine. I am using all 3 of them. One for my Series X, one for my PS5 and one for eARC. Tried all 3 of them with Ori and the Blind Forest on the Series X, so I could actually test 4K120 with HDR.

Yeah it sucks but you need to keep in mind that unless console marketing is specifically stating something runs at locked 120fps or 4K, it usually means "up to" or "targeting" those things.

But "Play your games at around 90fps" doesn't sound as good as "PLAY IN (up to) 120FPS AND 4K

possibly because he has en xbox?
Or MS set that expecation from the get go?

DaGwaphics

You enable VRR?

Top Bottom