• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fake PS2 memory cards?

Tomasooie

Does anyone know how to tell?

I've bought two sealed ones (off ebay and off one of the big sellers on amazon) and both times they've come in some Asian version packaging that looks cheaper than I'd expect.

It looks exactly like this.

ibxjWri834D5Mu.jpg

I guess I might be paranoid and it could be real, but do any of you have experience with this?

My "official" memory cards, even a Japanese version purchased during The Great Memory Card Shortage of 2002, never had screws like the card depicted in the picture attached above. By no means am I the authority on every design change over the lifespan of that memory card, but it looks suspect from my point of view.

Tomasooie

Those are protruding plastic bumps. I don't see any reason for them to be there. I opened one of them and the card has no bumps, screws, or holes in those areas (except two small circular indents on the top corners).

Danielsan

I have plenty of off-brand memory cards. Work like a charm and didn't cost me an arm and a leg for just 8MB of storage.
Though the memory card in the OP looks like it might be a Chinese knock-off that you might find on sites like Dealextreme.

Tomasooie

It has a little instruction fold-out and label stickers too.

I guess I might just stick with these and hope they work fine in the long run.
Still wondering if this is the real deal though..

Surely Sony still manufactures these? And they'd try to keep it as cheap as possible?
I asked the ebay seller and they told me the supplier was Sony.

dose

If they're a really tight fit in the slot then I'd say it was a fake. I've had one before from ebay unfortunately.

It has a little instruction fold-out and label stickers too.

I guess I might just stick with these and hope they work fine in the long run.
Still wondering if this is the real deal though..

Surely Sony still manufactures these? And they'd try to keep it as cheap as possible?
I asked the ebay seller and they told me the supplier was Sony.

Looks and sounds legit to me. Enjoy.

Does it have a warranty card? What does it say? It's probably official merchandise, just packaged for an Asian audience. The PS2 is still very much alive and kicking across the Pacific. The bumps on the plastic are to keep the products separated when hung from a metal rack and minimize scuffing to the see through plastic.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
The packaging being cheaper is probably because in Asia there's less of a need for impenetrable reinforced packaging that you need an arc welder just to pry open so you can get to your replacement earbu-- sorry. And/or it's a revision from later in the PS2's life.

This site says it's a "quality third party product": http://honglei-chen.en.made-in-china...mory-Card.html
You expect them to know either way?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
C'mon, a memory card from a Chinese seller on Ebay, probably for a substantially lower price than you'd pay in the states. There' only a minute chance it's an official product.

I bought one of those a couple of years ago myself. I was immediately suspicious because the card felt cheap. A real Sony memory card feels smooth: no rough edges anywhere. On the fake Chinese knock-off you could feel the top of the screws, the tip of one screw had penetrated the plastic surface, the sticker on the back was slightly askew... But hey, it worked! Of course only only a few months later the PS2 couldn't write any data to it anymore.

You get what you pay for.

Takao

Banned
I think it's a bootleg. I googled the model number "SCPH-10020 GB" and this image came up on a post on the US PlayStation forums:

th69r.jpg

The packaging looks identical to yours. The problem? As far as I can tell, Sony never made a 16MB PS2 Memory Card.

7threst

You expect them to know either way?

No haha, but since they say it's a "third party" product, that's pretty specific info for a card that does look like it is an offical Sony product. Which means that I think it's a bootleg. But that doesn't mean it's not good. I don't think I have any original memorycard for my PS2.

who cares? why even bother if they work? just go and be happy about your purchase; it's not like they use some high tech which may not be well implemented

Takao

Banned
who cares? why even bother if they work? just go and be happy about your purchase; it's not like they use some high tech which may not be well implemented

For what it's worth, the post on the forums about the card I brought up said it never worked, lol.

Top Bottom