• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
happybirthday.jpg

Happy Birthday, Inochi Kagayaku Toki

It's not very often that you see such issues as child abuse, bullying and those with disabilities handled in such a tactful manner in this medium but this movie is certainly the most profound and poignant example of doing it right. The animation isn't very good and the music really doesn't stand out at all but that doesn't in any way stop this from being an incredibly moving social commentary on Japans culture of silence and conformity which helps perpetuate the incredibly depressing never-ending cycle of bullying and abuse.

The movie starts off with the main protagonist Asuka trying to stand up for Junko, whom is constantly bullied. On one afternoon she meets Megumi, a girl who suffers from Cerebral Palsy and is unable to move or talk but this doesn't stop Asuka from making a new friend. She finds out that there's a special needs school next door and volunteers as the classes Goodwill representative so she can go and help out everyday only to find out that Megumi also goes to the same school. Her moments with her very precious friends are but small reprieves from the constant abuse she cops from her incredibly abusive mother.

The abuse eventually builds up until Asuka's mother forgets it's her birthday and is later overheard telling Asuka's older brother, Naoto that she "would have been really glad if I didn't give birth to Asuka". These two events cause Asuka to have a complete breakdown to the point of losing her voice. Her brother, disgusted at his mother after realizing just what's going on, sends Asuka off to live with their grandparents. It's there she begins to rediscover the wonders in life and slowly starts to learn about why her mother acts the way she does.

It's only after she recovers and returns that the movie really starts to touch on the issue with bullying to the point where it honestly made me tear up a few times. It's treatment of not only bullying, but also Disabilities and Mental Illness stands out from anything else I've seen in anything, let alone anime. It's definitely not played up for laughs or a cheap sense of melodrama (or both, I'm looking at you Okada!) but is handled in such an empathetic way that I honestly can't recall the last time I've seen something that handles this so eloquently. I highly recommend that everyone checks this out as it's incredibly unique and refreshing.

happybirthdayg.jpg

SINBURGERS

Grzi

Eureka Seven AO 19-22

I... I have no idea what I just watched. Perhaps it's the long break taking its toll, but I really was confused as fuck after watching these episodes. I did some reading and a bit of rewatching afterwards so it started to make sense, but episode 22 was still, wow, I don't know LOL
What the fuck has this turned into, I mean, we knew almost immediately that this show would be different than the original, but this is just absurd. It definitely does feel like a midway point of a longer series, and at times it gives off a fanfic vibe lol
I still wouldn't call it BAD bad, it does have its moments, there's some nice action and the music is great, but yeah, the story is not what I expected it to be, but I'm hoping they manage to save the show with the last two episodes, so we'll see. I'm actually only looking forward to some sweet mecha sakuga, and I don't think that's too much to ask.

BluWacky

I keep forgetting to take photos, but in the Tube station near my office there is a large poster for the cinema screening of... The Mystical Laws (from the animators of Evangelion and Naruto!).

For anyone in London who wishes to have the light of El Cantare bestowed upon them, it's definitely showing next Friday afternoon at the Odeon on Panton Street - but I can't remember if it's got any other screenings, and strangely it doesn't show up on the Odeon website.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Thoraxes

Magi - 06

Mor's Thighs the Climax.

That was a cool episode and
Mor kicking some ass was great. In the preview they mention a Sinbad guy, and he sounds kinda pompous but powerful lol. The dudes with that kind of power are usually always fun to watch.

Did I mention that I really like the music in this show? It's really well done.

Ocq6s.jpg
T7Kyw.jpg

cajunator

Banned
My Little Precure: Smile is Magic 02

Candy's stomach is actually a bag of holding! It makes complete sense.

Love the reaction shots in this show.

Pretty standard "let's find a new Power Ranger/she was right there all along!" episode, but damn if it isn't fun watching it. Rainbow Dash's transformation into Cure Sunny made up for the lameness in Cure Happy's gattai sequence. Plus, her killer move is awesome.

Yayoi is arriving soon and your heart will fucking explode.

Articalys

Hmm, it looks like Kadokawa uploaded a new version of their previous Date A Live PV which they've labled as "ver1.1" -- it's the exact same content as before (save for a single newly voiced line at the end), but the colors and effects look a bit sharper and less washed out, and the staff and cast credits are now all given in English as well. Give it a watch if you'd like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71tjGEhRrsw

Articalys

Double post, I know, but different topic. Apologies.

-----------------------------------

Next week's issue of Shonen Sunday has the reveal for the new Detective Conan movie, but it also uses two more of their "reveals" on the upcoming Sasami-san @ Ganbaranai anime and new Zettai Karen Children spinoff series, though at least there is new news that the new ZKC anime starts in January.

Looks like they're planning two more reveals in the December 12th issue, and then one each for Dec. 26, Jan. 16, and Jan. 30. Though it seems like this week has lots of detail on Conan but almost nothing on the other two, so we might get more on Sasami and ZKC in the next two weeks. I don't really get their plan for this.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Double post, I know, but different topic. Apologies.

-----------------------------------

Next week's issue of Shonen Sunday has the reveal for the new Detective Conan movie, but it also uses two more of their "reveals" on the upcoming Sasami-san @ Ganbaranai anime and new Zettai Karen Children spinoff series that we already knew about, though at least there is new news that the new ZKC anime starts in January.

Looks like they're planning two more reveals in the December 12th issue, and then one each for Dec. 26, Jan. 16, and Jan. 30. Though it seems like this week has lots of detail on Conan but almost nothing on the other two, so we might get more on Sasami and ZKC in the next two weeks. I don't really get their plan for this.

I'm always up for a new Conan movie! :D

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Blasty of the Blasty 07

There were some delicious
DTL
and
NTR
going back and forth throughout the episode. In fact the streams were crossing at times. I'm not even sure whats what now. All I know is that its really, really enjoyable. Nothing really happens in this episode but the delving into the backgrounds of the characters was just great stuff.

So happy this show is 2 cour :)

Also ended up buying some anime for the first time in a while (my Crunchyroll sub has been by main source now because I'm a cheap bum), some kind folks here in AnimeGAF convinced me to pick up Patlabor. Can't beat this price! Hopefully I enjoy this, but its Oshii so I'm not holding my breath.

Pooya

Psycho Pass - 6

This is just getting started,
it was good to see how past cases are related, that thing in the end was so creepy. good, darker please.

and they do know about interrogations too. This is just becoming a real cop show.

Zetsuen no Tempest - 7

Nothing happened other than constant teasing. I wouldn't be surprised if Mahiro killed the sister and he just doesn't know it yet, totally in his character. or even Yoshino, both are somewhat twisted creatures in different ways. pretty interesting characters.

next week, lots of action. can't wait.

Blast of Tempest 7
tumblr_mdkwebMjd11riet35o1_500.png

I hope we get even more flashbacks, with Aika trying to pair them up together (though if she would stop trying to make moves on both...), and the bowling scene etc the anime stays pretty fun and good.

Final Battle so soon?! Must be intense if it will take up the remainder or the 24 episodes. Hype

Wish I could be in Japan to see Eva 3.0 tomorrow. Nevermind the fact that my Japanese sucks and I'd probably just be confused until a BD w/English subs shows up.

Stulaw

I've read most of the Blast of Tempest manga, and I know exactly what will happen, but I still love watching it in action.

Started watching Smile Precure I liked the first episode although I tend to like magical girl anime anyway.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
the third precure Dx movies proved that all the yellow are adorable in their own way
Cure Sunshine was not adorable. Cure Sunshine was kick arse and she knew judo or some crap like that and constantly saved Marine and Blossom's butts. She was a true hero and not just another moéblob for the otaku to fap to.

Grzi

Zetsuen No Tempest - 07

A good episode, nice and quiet, but still pretty interesting and well paced, it flew by quickly. I don't mind
the love triangle
, at least not for now, and if it keeps being developed in this manner I don't think it should be too big of a deal.
The art was really good for the most part, I enjoyed that aspect a lot. Hopefully we'll see some nice action next week.

Anyway, I've been meaning to ask, how far into the manga is the show right now? At what point do we expect it to catch up?
I really hope this remains a good show and the source material doesn't get to be the thing that destroys it, although it most likely will.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Cure Sunshine was not adorable. Cure Sunshine was kick arse and she knew judo or some crap like that and constantly saved Marine and Blossom's butts. She was a true hero and not just another moéblob for the otaku to fap to.

You best be not talking about Cure Peace.

She is the greatest. A true hero.

duckroll

Zetsuen No Tempest - 07

Anyway, I've been meaning to ask, how far into the manga is the show right now? At what point do we expect it to catch up?
I really hope this remains a good show and the source material doesn't get to be the thing that destroys it, although it most likely will.

The anime is taking it really slow for certain plot reasons which I shall not spoil. Currently it is only up to about chapter 6 of the manga, with a lot of original content being added and various flashbacks and events from later in the manga being worked in to flesh out the characters and world. Episode 8 should cover up to at least chapter 8 of the manga.

The manga is still ongoing, and at 40 chapters right now. There is zero chance that the anime has any real intentions of faithfully adapting the rest of the manga beyond a certain point. The episode is 24 episodes long, and after episode 12 or so, I expect the road to the climax to be original and significantly diverged from the manga's events.

fertygo

A Letter to Momo.

Finally can watch this, aside really ugly CGi that they abuse to the death for vehicle in first 30 minute, thiis is really beautiful looking movie, especially the animation.. everything looked so smooth, its almost like they using CG.. so many facial expression too,they make the character seem alive, just a great character design and animation work. This might be one the best looking anime move that I ever seen outside Classic Ghibli Works.

For the movie itself after fairly boring first 20 minute, its very fun and compelling.. time flew by till the movie end, the directing also looked very sharp. Its a well executed movie.

Its a shame the movie bombed hard, I wish this is not the end of Okiura's directing career, he clearly a talented director too and not just simply great animator. Would love seeing him and Hosoda leading anime movie industry.

Btw although I'm grieving the fact its bombed, I kinda understand why. Outside being a well-executed movie and entertaining, this movie just lack of hook and "oomph" factor. I think the theme isn't strong enough to attract audience, basically the premise is
little quarrel between parent and child
+ youkai, certainly not that hooking of premise. And I never invested any emotion while watching the movie when that main theme arise, the ending are great though.. make my eyes wet a bit lol.

In conclusion, this is a damn good movie.. and miles better than whatever crap Ghibli make lately, now back to waiting Wolf Children release.

Jex

Magi - 06

Did I mention that I really like the music in this show? It's really well done.
I don't mean to sound like some kind of tyrant, but I can't agree with on this point. I actively dislike the music in Magi. To clarify further, I find that the vast majority of the music is bad-to-forgettable. Even worse than that, however, is the overall sound direction or lack thereof. I can think of very few scenes were the music matched the scene I was watching and probably zero examples of when it actually enhanced the visuals.

Uchip

Banned
I cant think of a single memorable piece of music from Magi
apart from maybe the OP
its a shame because it would make a big difference

did you avoid all the episodes where cure sunshine was acting like a girl and fussing over cute things ?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
SDBurton-Pass 06

THORAXES ALERT WEEOOO WEEOO

Also goddamn what's with entertainment media spoiling Shakespeare for me?

Haven't seen it yet, but already know today is going to be wonderful.

psycho pass 6

Kinda :sdburton ... wait woah.

Why can't people just get along?

Gonna be wonderfuuuuuuuuul!

Magi 01 - 03
Also, I like that each episode progressively became about Mor's thighs. Even Aladdin likes her legs!
http://i.imgur.com/21qHW.jpg http://i.imgur.com/2YmiF.jpg http://i.imgur.com/r9drP.jpg

Them thunder thighs man. Dangerously delicious.

I will see you all in 20 years from now.
Magi - 04

Oh hey that was pretty ni-

WHY

I braced myself for it the whole episode, thought I was in the clear, and got shot in the back when I wasn't looking.

Haha! At that moment I was like
"It'd be funny if someone got her from behind" and then that happened and I was like "I wasn't serious! Holy hell!"

duckroll

apart from maybe the OP

I can. The main action theme they keep using is really memorable! By memorable I mean I can never forget it because it has burned my ears up repeatedly week after week. What a terrible trashy piece of BGM. Doesn't fit the series at all either. >_<

Grzi

The anime is taking it really slow for certain plot reasons which I shall not spoil. Currently it is only up to about chapter 6 of the manga, with a lot of original content being added and various flashbacks and events from later in the manga being worked in to flesh out the characters and world. Episode 8 should cover up to at least chapter 8 of the manga.

The manga is still ongoing, and at 40 chapters right now. There is zero chance that the anime has any real intentions of faithfully adapting the rest of the manga beyond a certain point. The episode is 24 episodes long, and after episode 12 or so, I expect the road to the climax to be original and significantly diverged from the manga's events.

That's good news, thanks!

Also, this song would be perfect for the Magi soundtrack.

cajunator

Banned
Space Brothers 31-32

Post launch reflections and a bit of insight into Azuma. Some good episodes here.
Not that much in this show isn't great. This show is chock full of good feels.
Serika is still cute.

Oh yeah, and Azuma's car, at least the back of it, is obviously derived from the Chrysler ME412.

Naze Box Episode 06

ibdlmj7wSepMmp.jpg

oh my god

yes

best episode

Naze's voice is perfection.

And lol @ that
Kumagawa
tease.

that episode was great ..i'm genuily surprised by naze voice ..it fits ..so great.

So far this adaptation is pretty much spot on to the manga .... it actually scare me...

apart from maybe the OP

Really? Theres one track at least in the episode that played before the action part with Morg that sounds really memorable, it has the clapping of hands, sounds fairly modern, a nice drum beat. 7.3 or so minutes in.

Grzi

K - 07

A good episode, there was some nice action (great animation) and some important development of the story, and it didn't suck! Not bad. I do have doubts about them succeeding in giving this a proper conclusion in just 13 episodes, but we'll see.

Gankutsuou 01-24

Marathoned this yesterday. Excellent revenge story.

The characters were great, the art was amazing, the CG was used so well, the revelations were delivered so well.

This anime gave me so many feels. Everyone should watch it. Love the music when shit goes down.

Kaisho

fertygo

Psycho-Pass 06

I thought Akane gonna blushing when asked about love and easily drunk like other chara with similar stereotype, instead she doing the opposite. I see what you did there Urobuchi, she definitely gonna turned into Kiritsugu 2.0.

Btw they show us what Fate/Zero can't, yuck...

Defuser

Psycho Pass ep 6

God damn, this episode is fucking creepy and grotesque but intriguing at the same time. Shougo Makishima = Nolan's Joker.

It's nice to see all previous cases are tied in together to a overall arching plot between Kogami and Shougo. Akane laughing at the love notion shot down all the Akane x Kogami shippers lol. We've seen Kogami's, Masaoka's and Kagari's room/house I wonder how Ginoza's and Yayoi's room looks like.

Who would've thought a all girl school setting with a beauty idol trope would turn into a psycho dark setting? Gen Urobuchi.....smashing anime tropes with a dark twist, you get a respect from me.

oh and the full OP is out but you can watch the pv instead.
http://vimeo.com/53501209

duckroll

Guys, I have it on VERY, VERY good authority (read: I've seen the fucking pics!) that episode 8 of From the New World is :DTL and :SDBurton to the MAX! I'm not talking about subtle stuff here. Seriously. I am HYPED now. Holy shit!!!

/XX/

Guys, I have it on VERY, VERY good authority (read: I've seen the fucking pics!) that episode 8 of From the New World is :DTL and :SDBurton to the MAX! I'm not talking about subtle stuff here. Seriously. I am HYPED now. Holy shit!!!
So... is it finally time to keep in check the love chart?

I cant wait for the gifs, my OTP isnt just limited to good fanarts no more, one of the best episodes this season I bet!

BluWacky

So I'm going to get home from work tonight and basically watch intensely creepy gay/lesbian porn?

Nice.

duckroll

So I'm going to get home from work tonight and basically watch intensely creepy gay/lesbian porn?

Nice.

I've only seen a few screens from the episode, but it also looks noticeably more detailed and more colorful than the last few episodes. But that might be expected, since the episode had 4 animation directors (including Ishihama, the director!), and 6 assistant animation directors. Lololol. A shitload of key animators this week too.

I guess they're definitely starting the new arc with a bang!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom