• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Out Boy - the band you love to hate is back to |OT| Save Rock and Roll

Status
Not open for further replies.

rouken

SnZPTBm.jpg

Release Dates:

• Europe - April 12, 2013
  • United Kingdom - April 15, 2013
  • United States - April 16, 2013

Tracklist:

01) The Phoenix
02) My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark (Light Em Up)
03) Alone Together
04) Where Did the Party Go
05) Just One Yesterday (Feat. Foxes)
06) The Mighty Fall (Feat. Big Sean)
07) Miss Missing You
08) Death Valley
09) Young Volcanoes
10) Rat a Tat (Feat. Courtney Love)
11) Save Rock and Roll (Feat. Elton John)

Stream Link:

Fall Out Boy Soundcloud Set

iTunes Link:

You can get the album on iTunes or Vinyl

Save Rock and Roll Arena Tour

Reviews:

Billboard Track by Track Review

"Save Rock and Roll" contains some head-scratching collaborations, including link-ups with Big Sean and Courtney Love, but even those that fall relatively flat are still positive indicators that Fall Out Boy are back to having fun, stretching their legs and taking risks. A band that was severely fractured is now whole again, and even although "Save Rock and Roll" is a bit of a bumpy ride, the band's recharged ambition should be celebrated. If you didn't think that Fall Out Boy couldn't produce more compelling music now that their specific genre is out of vogue, give a listen to "Young Volcanoes," "Just One Yesterday" and the title track, a loony but glorious duet with Elton John.

A.V. Club - B+

Fall Out Boy may have a messianic streak and big-name producers on the payroll, but Save Rock And Roll is the band’s most personal album yet, a tribute to being passionate and young when time makes the former difficult and the latter impossible. It’s an arena album that longs for small punk clubs. Those days have long passed, but Fall Out Boy keeps those memories close.

Allmusic - 3.5/5

In 2013, when so many bands are donning tweed caps and pining for a past that never existed, it's kind of fun to have a band tackle the modern world in all its mess as Fall Out Boy do here.

USA Today - 3/4

Fall Out Boy may not be rock and roll's saviors, but they make sure it's got a little life left.

EW - B

Eight years is an epoch in punk time, and neither Fall Out Boy nor Paramore were going to stay young forever. Getting older is unavoidable, but maturity is a choice — and while FOB are tentatively inching their way into the next era, Paramore are making evolutionary leaps into something both refreshingly well-adjusted and genuinely new.

Alternative Press - 4/5

Overall, Save Rock And Roll is a blast of an album. It’s also gutsy: No matter what direction Fall Out Boy went, people would be disappointed. So to release a collection of music that’s a noticeable progression from their past albums—but one done entirely on their own terms—is brave. Save Rock And Roll might not actually, well, save rock and roll—but it certainly has brought Fall Out Boy back from the brink.

Absolute Punk - 8/10

Elvis Presley was once quoted as saying, "Rock and Roll music, if you like it, if you feel it, you can't help but move to it." And while the internet will be plastered with reviews of this record taking issue with the band releasing an album that has the audacity to call itself Save Rock And Roll, the King already described every listen I've had with this album. I've worn out the soles in my shoes from tapping my foot so damn hard.

Rolling Stone - 3.5/5

Does rock's future depend on this overheated nonsense? Of course not. But life is more fun with Fall Out Boy than without them. "Oh, no, we won't go," Stump proclaims on the defiantly messianic title track, backed by special guest Elton John and a multitracked army. "'Cause we don't know when to quit." Thank goodness for that.

Alter The Press - 3.5/5

Save Rock and Roll is an album full to the brim with distorted, melodious goodness, which has been crafted into a record that is guaranteed to sound just as insane live as it can blasting through the stereo.

Fall Out Boy said:
this album is one that is particularly close to us. we recorded it in secret from the music industry, critics, and even our fans. an artists first record sounds the way it does because it is often made without expectations. this is not our first record. but because of the way we went about making this one in the shadows it is with out a doubt the first record in a new chapter of fall out boy. we made this music for ourselves and no one else at the end of the day. this is meant be played loud, with the windows down on summer nights. four friends with our backs to each other fighting in the darkness against anything and everything that is out there. we bowed our heads, took a knee and plugged back in. from the first strings to the last shouts- this is us. these incantations are meant to conjure realness, to unlock whatever the rock and roll is inside each of you- in each of us. put on your headphones, turn it up- this is what we have spent the last year and a half making. most importantly, thank you for wishing or waiting- because with out you, the most important piece, this record would never have been made.

xJavonta

Banned
Streaming it now and I'm fucking loving it. The Phoenix is fantastic and Alone Together is a new jam for me now.

Can't wait to see them live, gonna be sick

Jarmel

Banned
I think it's ok. Alone Together and Where did the Party Go are fantastic. Didn't even know there were fans on the board. I do applaud them in regards to the release, they've been really relaxed in regards to the release date.

NMFried

Just finished my stream of it. Wow. It has its faults in places but the way it carried itself, I loved it. Each one of their albums has come out at a particularly rough time in my life so hearing this with things finally in place for me made me feel like I had grown up with their music.

Also, that closeout with Sir Elton John. They quoted "Sugar, We're Going Down."

Absolutely wonderful.

rouken

I think it's ok. Alone Together and Where did the Party Go are fantastic. Didn't even know there were fans on the board. I do applaud them in regards to the release, they've been really relaxed in regards to the release date.

i think there are more haters in here than fans. :) but i get that they do receive a lot of crap for changing up their music in each album they've released. also pete wentz.

Chairhome

Liking it so far. As a super fan of the first album, the other ones didn't make as big of an impact, but this one seems pretty good so far. Might have to listen to it a few times and let it grow. I'm really a big fan of Patrick Stump, and I recommend Soul Punk (his solo album) to anyone who's open to hearing him in a different style.

KlotePino

I wish their drums were a little more interesting honestly. I was never a big fan of these guys but I recently started drumming Dead on Arrival and the drums in that are pretty cool, whatever happened to that? It just feels so electronic and fake now.

Andrew.

Banned
And what the hell is supposed to be so good about this? It's pop punk/rock garbage, just like their previous efforts.

This aint no fucking rock n roll.

Next attempt please.

xJavonta

Banned
And what the hell is supposed to be so good about this? It's pop punk/rock garbage, just like their previous efforts.

Next attempt please.

Are you serious? What is "rock n roll" to you? Fucking AC/DC?

Edit: Gave the album another listen. Everything has grown on me, even Rat A Tat. But the best songs are Young Volcanoes, Alone Together, Where Did The Party Go and The Phoenix

TimeInc

I love Fall Out Boy and have been looking forward to this album for ages. I felt they have gotten better with each album and I wondered how they could top Folie A Deux. It turns out, they couldn't. I don't mind them changing direction as they have done with every album, but I just don't think the quality is as good. I also really dislike some of the production choices, especially on the vocals. Patrick Stump has got an amazing voice but they've drowned it in a sea of effects. Also the best song is probably Just One Yesterday, and that sounds like a rip off of Rolling In The Deep.

scoobs

Next attempt please.

The album title is meant for people like you lol

This is easily the most "pop" album theyve made and I'm surprisingly not hating it. Fun for what it is

NinjaBoiX

"OT" is in a weird place in the title.

Also, come on Andrew, play nice. They ain't going to be troubling Farquet in the cool stakes anytime soon, and I'm not particularly a fan either, but I like Paramore, so what do I know.

Mistle

Thought it was great upon first listen. Can't wait to get properly stuck into it, and FOB albums really reveal themselves over time imo.

I love how intense the first 2 songs are, and I feel it mellows out a bit too much in the middle of the album. But this impression could completely change once I listen to it more.

Andrew.

Banned

Also, come on Andrew, play nice. They ain't going to be troubling Farquet in the cool stakes anytime soon, and I'm not particularly a fan either, but I like Paramore, so what do I know.

That guy thought I liked AC/DC. What the fuck.

Yo Boi, dont bring Devin into this man...

And Paramore is a good band so there is a difference. Just waitin on that Hayley solo album 'cause you KNOW it is gonna come whether you like it or not.

xJavonta

Banned

I fucking love Paramore too (top 5 bands) but Fall Out Boy tops them IMO. This album bests the new Paramore album by far as well (and I really really liked the new Paramore album)

Andrew.

Banned
"It's rock n' roll because we have Elton and Courtney Love. Elvis and John Lennon and Hendrix were dead. McCarthy and Berry told us to go fuck ourselves. We were shocked."

rouken

Next attempt please.

lol. this wasn't supposed to be literally rock and roll with guitar riffs and drum solos.

but just for you here's an interview of the band on why they named it as such.

“Rock and roll to me represents an attitude,” said Pete Wentz. “It represents something inside you. That’s why we got into playing music. That’s why I wanted to be in the band. So you can take it as an ironic thing or you can take it the way it is. We just wanted to do something that was fun and dangerous for us. We didn’t need to do the band again, we wanted to do it because it was fun.”

“Obvious and safe doesn’t seem that rock and roll to me,” laughed Patrick Stump.

Listened to it twice today. It's an exciting album. I've never really been sure what to expect out of FOB, and this is easily the most diverse album they've done yet. Alone Together, Rat A Tat, and Save Rock And Roll are the early standouts for me, though Death Valley gets huge points for having a dubstep breakdown that is simultaneously random as hell, and yet still kind of perfect.

Seeing them live in June. Curious how they're going to deal with some of the songs, since they rely on guest vocals.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea I'm a huge fan of Death Valley. I think this album is going to become one that grows on me compared to my initial meh impressions.

rouken

updated with reviews. :)

i've been listening to it all day, and every track has grown on me. even the mighty fall which is the weakest in the album.

t-ramp

Nice. I'll probably wait until the album releases to listen to the whole thing, but am looking forward to it.

Is the $7.99 preorder offer available on Amazon? I see it listed, but no way to buy right now. And if the price is going up on the street date...

xJavonta

Banned
Is it supposed to be released today in the US? My local Walmart had a few copies on sale but no other place I've been to today has lol

Ferny

Is it supposed to be released today in the US? My local Walmart had a few copies on sale but no other place I've been to today has lol

Tomorrow is official release AFAIK. It seems some may have gotten the physical disks already though from their site.

t-ramp

Got the album, will probably have it on repeat tonight.

The first Amazon review is... interesting, by the way.

Chairhome

Got it on my Zune Pass (yes, I still have a zune). Still liking it. I really hate Courtney Love though, wish they had a version of that song without her. Also, that Big Sean verse in Mighty Fall is terrible.

Ragnamith

Wow. I didn't know it was out already!
I read the OP thinking "oh April 12th, that should be pretty soon. Its the 16th!
I hope I can pick it up on my way home after work today.

OG Kush

Album is pretty good. Take this to your grave still has a special place in my heart, but good to see FOB grow with age. Screw the haters who want the "old" FOB.

t-ramp

I want to teach you a lesson
In the worst kind of way
Still I’d trade all my tomorrows
For just one yesterday

Good shit.

Einbroch

Banned
Repeated listens have made this go from "meh" to "pretty good".

The Phoenix, My Songs Know, Alone Together, and Young Volcanoes are all fantastic tracks. Save Rock and Roll and Rat a Tat are alright (but why Countney Love).

The Mighty Fall is such a bad song, though.

t-ramp

Alone Together is one of my favorites.

I don't know where you're going
But do you got room for one more troubled soul?
I don't know where I'm going
But I don't think I'm coming home and I'll say
"I'll check in tomorrow if I don't wake up dead"
This is the road to ruin
And we started at the end

Say it, (yeah)
Let's be alone together, (yeah)
We could stay young forever, (yeah)
Scream it from the top of your lu-lu-lungs
Say it, (yeah)
Let's be alone together, (yeah)
We could stay young forever, (yeah)
We'll stay young, young, young, young, young

xJavonta

Banned
Repeated listens have made this go from "meh" to "pretty good".

The Phoenix, My Songs Know, Alone Together, and Young Volcanoes are all fantastic tracks. Save Rock and Roll and Rat a Tat are alright (but why Countney Love).

The Mighty Fall is such a bad song, though.

I like them all. Rat A Tat really grew on me (minus Courtney Love's parts). Love Elton in Save Rock and Roll.

The Mighty Fall is fantastic. I don't particularly like rap but Big Sean isn't offensive to my ears in it. It's a catchy song :p

Einbroch

Banned
The Mighty Fall is fantastic. I don't particularly like rap but Big Sean isn't offensive to my ears in it. It's a catchy song :p

Eh, it's just not my cup of tea. I will say that my favorite section on this CD is Miss Missing You's chorus, especially when it gets to the syncopation.

"The person that you take a bullet for is behind the trigger", it's a great line and musically I love anything off-beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom