• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 Next Gen Update is coming in 2024

havoc00

Bethesda has confirmed that the upcoming PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S update for Fallout 4 won't release until 2024. In a social media post, the official Fallout account thanked fans for their patience, as the update was originally due to arrive before the end of 2023.

"But we need a bit more time and look forward to an exciting return to the Commonwealth in 2024," Bethesda said.

The update was announced in October 2022, at which time Bethesda said it would deliver new options that will allow players to choose between a performance mode for high frame rates or a quality mode that prioritizes 4K. The update, which is free, will also include bug fixes and additional Creation Club content.

Fallout 4 was originally released in 2015. It was a critical and a commercial success, and Bethesda followed it up with multiple expansions. The next Fallout game, Fallout 76, arrived in 2018 and was much less adored due in part to its always-online nature. The game has grown and evolved over time, and it has reached more than 15 million people.

Bethesda is also working on Fallout 5, but it won't be released until after The Elder Scrolls 6. Bethesda's latest game is Starfield, which launched in September and has reached more than 12 million people so far. Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer has said he hopes the game can enjoy a lengthy life not unlike the ongoing success that Skyrim enjoyed.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Dude, a Fallout 3 and New Vegas remaster with the latest Creation engine would be fucking amazing.

Edit: They should get a side/smaller team to do it (Obsidian?), while we wait for Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5.
This is the thing that I hate most about Xbox is that they refuse to go after low hanging fruit. We should have had a Fallout 3/New Vegas remaster by now. They've owned Bethesda for over 3 years now. No reason it shouldn't have been out by now.

Kupfer

Fallout 4 is still being sold on PS4/5. Why wouldn't they update the game there? Makes no sense.

The Office Thank You GIF

You act as if the games industry is known for being rational and customer-friendly .
I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I'm always with a dose of skepticism these days.

I've picked the GOTY steelbook edition exactly one year ago when they announced they started working on this free next-gen update. Hopefully it's coming in the first half of 2024 since I've been meaning to play the DLCs for a while now (I've already beat the base game back when it launched but never touched the DLCs).

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
After what they've done with Skyrim I'm not at all surprised that it will be free. They're looking to get more sales from the in-game store in the long run.

ripjoel

Modders started developing fallout 4: capital wasteland and fallout 4: new vegas.... And those fucks at bethesda realized they are losing money not doing their own remaster/remake... God bless the modders.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Serious question, why do people prefer Fallout 3 to 4?

Is it the Liam Neeson?
Because F4 is more like F3.5. F4 is a better game, but if you already played F3, then F4 is kind of more of the same.

From what I remember, the biggest differences in F4 are mech suits, crafting, and settlements where you can create and renovate your own mini towns including installing sentry guns to protect it. There might be more differences, but thats what I remember.

F3 is solid game, but one big drawback is the subway system. It's in the downtown core, boring as hell and each station is virtually the same as the others. And part of the plot and questing is roaming around subway stations.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Is it the Liam Neeson?
Fallout 3 is more of an RPG and has far more replayability than Fallout 4, although a couple of mods have come out in the last few years that make Fallout 4 a much better all round game now for me, Sim Settlements 2 and America Rising 2, i've replayed Fallout 4 twice in the last year because of them, whereas i had never got further than starting a 2nd playthrough in the past, as for Fallout 3 and New Vegas i have replayed them so many times i've lost count.

Dazraell

Is it the Liam Neeson?

I think the biggest downside of Fallout 4 was how it simplfied almost everything beside companions who in my opinion were really solid

To me the problem came with Bethesda's approach to design and combining new ideas with F4's core gameplay loop. Improved combat and simplified perk system resulted in game feeling less like an RPG. Voiced protagonist was a good idea on paper, but it resulted in choices being super simple and never having any meaningful branching. The building aspect was a neat idea, but made the world outside of main hubs feel very empty. This combined with overreliance on radiant fetch quests led to game feeling a step down from other entries

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think the biggest downside of Fallout 4 was how it simplfied almost everything beside companions who in my opinion were really solid

To me the problem came with Bethesda's approach to design and combining new ideas with F4's core gameplay loop. Improved combat and simplified perk system resulted in game feeling less like an RPG. Voiced protagonist was a good idea on paper, but it resulted in choices being super simple and never having any meaningful branching. The building aspect was a neat idea, but made the world outside of main hubs feel very empty. This combined with overreliance on radiant fetch quests led to game feeling a step down from other entries
A problem with the settlement building feature was bandits and ghouly dudes could randomly appear. I protected Sanctuary with tons of sentry guns and fences etc.... Next thing you know there's enemies in the middle of town bypassing it all.

Kupfer

Got a question since I've read that Fallout 4 on playstation supports mods.

Is there a mod to prevent settlements from being attacked and Preston to stop giving me settlement quests?

Also, do mods prevent trophies from being unlocked?

Last edited:
Well .... fuck settlements and settlers then. Survival of the fittest.

EDIT: is it possible to just shoot Preston in the face?
Probably a protected character I don't remember but you don't have to rescue the bugger you know. Just leave him and his group of losers where you find them.

Top Bottom