• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4's file size is 28GB

Joco

Not really. I was surprised how small Skyrim was.

Ha. I remember preordering Skyrim at GameStop, one guy working there swore Skyrim was going to ship with eight discs in the case because the file size was going to be so huge. Got a good chuckle out of that one.

Broank

I remember it kinda blew my mind Skyrim was only like 3 GB on 360. Seems like the soundtrack alone would be more.

Derp

wat? it's coming out this year?
which-year-is-it-meme-300x257.jpg

EvB

Seems like way too small for current-gen asset sizes for open-world, unless it compresses insanely well.

It's all the same repeated textures and geometry across the world , same as oblivion and Skyrim.
there be no mega texturing here

Talyn

Seems like a good game for my future ssd. Does anyone know if theres a way to have one or two steam games on a ssd while the steam installation is on a hdd?
Yes, goto Settings/Downloads, click Steam Library Folders and add a new folder on the drive you want to use. Then when you install a game you can pick which folder you want to use.

Unison

I wonder how much of that is voicework and music...

Obviously it would be silly to worry about the game size. Past Bethesda games have been huge despite smaller file sizes than some of their contemporaries.

While we're talking Fallout 4, have there been any soundtrack reveals yet?

jesu

Jonnax

That's not laziness though.

They were unwilling to invest the money into writing an recording dialogue. I'm not putting the blame on Dave the sound guy. But I don't see why as a consumer I have to say 'oh their managers were cost cutting to the detriment of the game' rather than how I consider the the lack of effort in a part of the game to be lazy.

gossi

Bethesda tweeted that Fallout 4 contains 3 times as many lines of recorded dialogue than Skyrim (and Skyrim was very talky).

jesu

They were unwilling to invest the money into writing an recording dialogue. I'm not putting the blame on Dave the sound guy. But I don't see why as a consumer I have to say 'oh their managers were cost cutting to the detriment of the game' rather than how I consider the the lack of effort in a part of the game to be lazy.

Eh whatever, you said they were lazy, then you said it was cost cutting.
I think we are agreed it wasn't laziness.

Jonnax

Eh whatever, you said they were lazy, then you said it was cost cutting.
I think we are agreed it wasn't laziness.

I'd argue that cost cutting is a form of laziness. "I don't want to spend this money to do a proper job because most people won't tell the difference"

Maybe the term has become quite loaded in the world of games. But I don't see why it wouldn't apply.

owasog

Let's look at the numbers on PC: Skyrim has 1.5GB of voice files. Triple that for male and female PC and you've got 4.5GB.
The vanilla textures are 1.4GB. The HD textures are 3.3GB but don't replace everything. Let's assume the HD texturepack quadruples the filesize, and you get 6GB.

So that only adds 8GB. Fallout 4 must be doing something more than that. 2K textures? More textures? Cutscenes?

Ashtar

I remember when people were complaining about the file size of dying light, that was amusing.
Frankly I don't see the big hubbub but GAF Gon GAF

nkarafo

Skyrim was 3GB. I still cant believe it
Most of the space taken by games is textures/visual assets. Skyrim reuses lots of textures. When i think about this game, the image of the same gray, bricked and rocky textures come to mind.

GTA5 takes up 60GB (PC version). That's because they tried to make every area different, with a huge variety of textures and assets.

samn

I guess this is promising, it points to more texture and dialogue variety.

Any word on whether the gameplay/shooter mechanics have been improved?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'd argue that cost cutting is a form of laziness. "I don't want to spend this money to do a proper job because most people won't tell the difference"

Maybe the term has become quite loaded in the world of games. But I don't see why it wouldn't apply.
Skyrim has 60K lines of dialogue, 60K lines of dialogue spread among a world full of npcs. To imply that there were "too lazy" to put in more is pretty ridiculous.

gossi

Skyrim has 60K lines of dialogue, 60K lines of dialogue spread among a world full of npcs. To imply that there were "too lazy" to put in more is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah. Skyrim also had 70 voice actors, which is ten times than of the prior Elder Scrolls game. Just because you hear a line about sweetrolls a few times does not mean they were lazy. The VO recording took months, and cost a bucket or 12.

bomblord1

Banned
Bethesda's workflow allows for that they use premade chunks for interior layouts and just copy paste them togethor in unique layouts. They could make 20 interiors that are only the size of a single unique one.

Oberon

Banned
Before reading some of the replies here, I thought that would be bad news. I guess that comes from buying mostly physical games.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah. Skyrim also had 70 voice actors, which is ten times than of the prior Elder Scrolls game. Just because you hear a line about sweetrolls a few times does not mean they were lazy. The VO recording took months, and cost a bucket or 12.
Right? I mean it's like some people forget how little devs had to work in comparison to the new consoles.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
They compress the shit out of their voice audio. Or at least they did on the 360. I really hope they're not so aggresive on that front now that we have the space for better audio. On decent speakers its pretty distracting, sounds like the voice actors read their lines over a phone.

I'd argue that it isn't. Re-using assets (In this case, sound files) it's also a form of optimization and you need an experienced dev to know how to do it properly.
Also, even fallout 4 has a limited budget and time, so you have to know how to balance those things out.

Top Bottom