• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout: New Vegas gameplay trailer

markot

Banned
They viewed it wrongly, and why should it just play like any other fps? Guns are not all 100% accurate, especially rusty ones >.<!

And Vats was just nice, it worked really well and was awesome.

Also, if you want just another fps, play one of the many many many many fpses out there, this is an RPG first, fps second.

jabipun

markot said:
They viewed it wrongly, and why should it just play like any other fps? Guns are not all 100% accurate, especially rusty ones >.<!

And Vats was just nice, it worked really well and was awesome.

Also, if you want just another fps, play one of the many many many many fpses out there, this is an RPG first, fps second.

Yup, you're one of those delusional purists.

VATs brought nothing to the table. It was just dumb and poorly designed. And how in god's name was VATs awesome? It was SO repetitive and slow in nature. It essentially brought the game's pacing down to that of a fucking SNES JRPG for fucks sake.

And the success of Fallout 3 was primarily because of it's viewed perception as a FPS + Open Word game. It'd be stupid for Obsedian/Bethesda to ignore that.

GreekWolf

Great trailer, it's definitely a day 1 for me. Love the universe.

I do have to admit there's a distinct 'Bioshock 2' vibe about the whole thing. Same engine as the first game, with a few additional bells & whistles and an emphasis on NPC interaction. Just like BS2, I know it'll be a very good game in it's own right, but probably won't achieve the gold standard of the original.

markot

Banned
>_<

Im not a purist. I just prefer it, to me the game isnt about gunplay, its about exploring, interacting and all that stuff.

And I do actually prefer vats, it just felt good to use. Its fun to play a game that does something different, not just point and shoot like 90% of the other games out there.

And the % shots and crap, the wear on guns, thats all part of the game, part of building and improving and stuff.

Wallach

jabipun said:
Yup, you're one of those delusional purists.

VATs brought nothing to the table. It was just dumb and poorly designed. And how in god's name was VATs awesome? It was SO repetitive and slow in nature. It essentially brought the game's pacing down to that of a fucking SNES JRPG for fucks sake.

And the success of Fallout 3 was primarily because of it's viewed perception as a FPS + Open Word game. It'd be stupid for Obsedian/Bethesda to ignore that.

It has nothing to do with being 'delusional' - this may surprise you, but they designed FO3 (and this upcoming sequel) with the idea that people other than you may wind up playing it.

The game is going to interest a lot of people that play RPGs but may not play a lot of shooters. They may not actually be very good at precise aiming, especially if they're playing it on a console with analog sticks. VATS gives people a means to allow their character building process to control their accuracy and still deliver shots they actually want - crippling arms or legs, for example - without having to rely on their aim. Thus, they wind up enjoying the game significantly more.

jabipun

Wallach said:
It has nothing to do with being 'delusional' - this may surprise you, but they designed FO3 (and this upcoming sequel) with the idea that people other than you may wind up playing it.

The game is going to interest a lot of people that play RPGs but may not play a lot of shooters. They may not actually be very good at precise aiming, especially if they're playing it on a console with analog sticks. VATS gives people a means to allow their character building process to control their accuracy and still deliver shots they actually want - crippling arms or legs, for example - without having to rely on their aim. Thus, they wind up enjoying the game significantly more.

Leave VATs in and all it's shitty applications if you must, but improve the FPS mechanics.

Design the system where it's more of a real-time option to go between the two. Face it, hours in - there were two kinds of people. One that used VATs and others that didn't. They simply enjoyed combat in real-time better.

Problem was, combat in real-time felt underpowered than it was to VATs, shots would miss and point blank etc. and overall the real-time combat wasn't all that good.

So, they can leave the VATs system in for all those who want it, but improve the real-time combat mechanic.

Also, VATs has nothing to do with enjoying the open world aspect of the game. So I don't know why that one poster brought this up as an argument at all.

jabipun said:

Are you missing the part where the non-VATS combat has been the main part of the combat that they are trying to improve? That and managing your companions easier are two big changes.

jabipun

HadesGigas said:
Are you missing the part where the non-VATS combat has been the main part of the combat that they are trying to improve? That and managing your companions easier are two big changes.

Hurray then...

markot

Banned
Im just saying, the open worldness is one draw of the game, you seem to be saying that the 'shooter' aspect was the big/main one.

To me, it was bleh, everything else about the game is what made it, and the vats system helped cement it together like a nice building of... love.

eshwaaz

I put over 100 hours into Fallout 3 so I'm looking forward to this, but good Lord - unless I'm remembering incorrectly, Obsidian managed to take the already horrible animation from 3 and make it worse.

Wallach

jabipun said:
Leave VATs in and all it's shitty applications if you must, but improve the FPS mechanics.

Design the system where it's more of a real-time option to go between the two. Face it, hours in - there were two kinds of people. One that used VATs and others that didn't. They simply enjoyed combat in real-time better.

Problem was, combat in real-time felt underpowered than it was to VATs, shots would miss and point blank etc. and overall the real-time combat wasn't all that good.

So, they can leave the VATs system in for all those who want it, but improve the real-time combat mechanic.

Also, VATs has nothing to do with enjoying the open world aspect of the game. So I don't know why that one poster brought this up as an argument at all.

They are trying to improve the real-time mechanics, that's the point of them adding the improved sighting. On the other hand, they're not going to allow you to ignore your character's proficiency with a weapon when using real-time firing. I didn't have a problem with it once my character was further developed, which was probably the intent. I don't think you're going to see that change in NV.

jabipun said:

I hope they fuck it up completely just to spite you. <3 VATs

jabipun

markot said:
Im just saying, the open worldness is one draw of the game, you seem to be saying that the 'shooter' aspect was the big/main one.

To me, it was bleh, everything else about the game is what made it, and the vats system helped cement it together like a nice building of... love.

It's an equal draw. For me, the idea to play a first person shooter in such a large realized world is ideally the perfect game for me.

In actuality though, I enjoy RPG's more than I do FPS games. But, like I said - VATs just wasn't all that interesting. It more felt like a system implemented to allow those who dislike fast paced real time combat to have a chance to kill shit. There was very little 'required' strategy for VATs.

I would enjoy VATs if they made the game drastically harder, thereby making "limb-shots" more of necessity, rather than a gimmick that wasn't really required once you played on a bit and your character progressed some.

markot

Banned
jabipun said:
I would enjoy VATs if they made the game drastically harder, thereby making "limb-shots" more of necessity, rather than a gimmick that wasn't really required once you played on a bit and your character progressed some.

I agree about that at the end too >.< it would be nice to have stuff like that be more important.

jabipun

Saint10118 said:
I hope they fuck it up completely just to spite you. <3 VATs

What part of VAT's did you like?

The pausing the game and aiming at the head and clicking shoot 8 times and watching your character shoot slowly in slo-mo 8 times and then waiting 10 seconds for the fucking enemy to do it's slo-mo drop to the ground and then another 15 seconds scavenging the body and then repeating this same process 10 times all just to clear out a generic - subway room 2,548 ?

Ah , okay.

It's the same reason I dislike summons in the Final Fantasy games, especially the ones 7 through 10. You have to wait on this overly long cinematic just to pull of 4,000 points of damage, the same kind of damage your character can deal with regular attacks in a fraction amount of time.

Like I said, make the game harder and give VATs more applications. Maybe design certain enemies where VATS is a requirement.

But don't make me trudge through the VATs system to kill lowly ghoul number 5,000 when two pistol shots ideally in real-time executed in 2 seconds was all I needed.

kingkitty

jabipun said:

The pausing the game and aiming at the head and clicking shoot 8 times and watching your character shoot slowly in slo-mo 8 times and then waiting 10 seconds for the fucking enemy to do it's slo-mo drop to the ground and then another 15 seconds scavenging the body and then repeating this same process 10 times all just to clear out a generic - subway room 2,548 ?

VATs never seemed that much of a hassle for me. I guess I just got the patience.

Also, Fallout 3 is a terrible shooter. VATs is your friend.

Hydrargyrus

Wait wait wait

Same engine without any improvements and even some things even worst than Fallout 3... what's going on with Obsidian??

i liked VATS.

who plays Fallout for the shooting?

edit: also, am i the only one who see's improved lighting in this trailer? wtf is with "looks worse than 3"? do some of you even remember what 3 looks like?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hydrargyrus said:
Wait wait wait

Same engine without any improvements and even some things even worst than Fallout 3... what's going on with Obsidian??

It's Obsidian. Their games tend to run and look quite bad. I'm sure they will come through with making a fun RPG, though. That is what Obsidian does.

To those complaining about the looks, Obsidian was forced to use the same engine as FO3. They can't work miracles. They had a particular time frame to build NV and budget which isn't enough to create a new engine. Also for the members of the superior race, just wait for some mods.

kevm3

Graphics weren't great, but as long as they focus on the gameplay, I'm more than willing to accept the sacrifice.

Engine is starting to really show its age. Other than that the atmosphere looks really compelling.

LovingSteam said:
To those complaining about the looks, Obsidian was forced to use the same engine as FO3. They can't work miracles. They had a particular time frame to build NV and budget which isn't enough to create a new engine. Also for the members of the superior race, just wait for some mods.

Ah that makes sense.

It looks like an expansion pack. :|
I'm definitely buying it, but I'll wait. I have a feeling the price will drop like a rock. I haven't even gotten around to playing the F3 DLC.

akachan ningen said:
I'm definitely buying it, but I'll wait. I have a feeling the price will drop like a rock. I haven't even gotten around to playing the F3 DLC.

I wouldn't count on that. FO3 stayed firm at $50 for a vererrrrerery long time.. so will this. bet on it.

HorribleJames said:
I wouldn't count on that. FO3 stayed firm at $50 for a vererrrrerery long time.. so will this. bet on it.

I got it for like $45 around Christmas the year it came out. Amazon I think it was? (Xbox version that is)

jabipun said:

Ah , okay.

It's the same reason I dislike summons in the Final Fantasy games, especially the ones 7 through 10. You have to wait on this overly long cinematic just to pull of 4,000 points of damage, the same kind of damage your character can deal with regular attacks in a fraction amount of time.

Like I said, make the game harder and give VATs more applications. Maybe design certain enemies where VATS is a requirement.

But don't make me trudge through the VATs system to kill lowly ghoul number 5,000 when two pistol shots ideally in real-time executed in 2 seconds was all I needed.

Putting aside your ridiculous hyperbole - I like 99.9% of all people who played the game did not use VATs all the time. Me personally I used a scoped weapon through most of the game and loved it just fine. When I did use VATs it was great - I used it when it for higher level guys that I wanted to ensure critical hits, I used it when surrounded to hit multiple targets, and I used it to assess risk reward for targeting enemies from far away. I viewed VATs through the lens of strategy and not FPS enjoyment and thus never had a single issue with its use.

If it were up to me I'd make it so that VATs was as integral as it was in Fallout 2 (and I presume Fallout 1 although I haven't played it). I would be horrified if Fallout ever became a refined FPS as I don't want the game to be designed around that aspect of gameplay.
That's why Bethesda makes games like Brink and Rage not (hopefully) Fallout.

akachan ningen said:

I'm sure people have harassed you already about it but I found Point Lookout to be an absolute blast to play and would highly recommend giving it a go. :D

HorribleJames said:

This one's gonna sell way worse than the last fallout. bet on that.

I'm sure people have harassed you already about it but I found Point Lookout to be an absolute blast to play and would highly recommend giving it a go.

I will. Maybe by the time this is out I'll start it. :p

SalsaShark said:
Looks like Fallout 3.

Day 1, hope this one gets good a little faster.
if you're referring to the first hour of FO3 being spent in the vault, its already been reported that the game starts MUCH, MUCH faster than that.

you wake up from being left for dead, set your stats, have a chat with some kind of NPC, and boom, you're off.

Rabbitwork said:
if you're referring to the first hour of FO3 being spent in the vault, its already been reported that the game starts MUCH, MUCH faster than that.

you wake up from being left for dead, set your stats, have a chat with some kind of NPC, and boom, you're off.

Yeah, they said you can skip the tutorial part entirely and jump into the story or into wandering aimlessly killing stuff.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
If this improves over what i hated in fallout 3. I think it will easily be my GOTY for 2010.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
akachan ningen said:
The last one rode a train of huge hype. People who thought it was a shooter even bought it.

This one's gonna be fans-only.
i doubt the game will sell too much below FO3. First off, it has guns, you shoot things, and its in the first-person so thats an instant 2 million. Secondly, both fans of Bethesda and Obsidian will buy this game to support their chosen dev even if they dont like the other much. Third, Bethesda is publishing and they are the absolute masters of hyping up a game for maximum sales potential.

i really wouldnt worry about NV sales.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
akachan ningen said:
The last one rode a train of huge hype. People who thought it was a shooter even bought it.

This one's gonna be fans-only.

So you are saying of the 5+ million people who bought Fallout 3, none except the fans of the originals liked it enough to buy a sequel?

Definitely definitely getting this on day 1.

I agree with the argument in favor of tuning the FPS aspects of the game though. If I remember correctly, Fallout 3's aiming system wasn't even analog - you just pushed the right stick in the direction you wanted to aim and your reticle traveled a set speed. At least, it felt that stiff. I'm not going to knock VATS but if you're including a FPS control scheme in your game, you should at least make it usable. Make it feel more analog, and maybe add a slight bit of auto-aim and I'll be happy.

(I think this game will be awesome either way though)

_tetsuo_ said:
So you are saying of the 5+ million people who bought Fallout 3, none except the fans of the originals liked it enough to buy a sequel?

Um, I was talking about fans of fallout 3 of course. You don't really think all the people who bought it liked it, do you?

i doubt the game will sell too much below FO3. First off, it has guns, you shoot things, and its in the first-person so thats an instant 2 million.

Shooter fans aren't falling for that twice.

Top Bottom