• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

I'm just wondering, is the character Maximus supposed to be slightly retarded or something? He seems so off and just stares blankly when people talk to him. He seems so unemotional...
yeah, I've come to think that it's actually a pretty interesting attempt to feature someone who's mildly autistic as a main character. it's the only explanation for all the somewhat unpredictable mood shifts, the over-all immaturity, & the occasional sudden cold-blooded efficiency
on the bridge
i mean, it's either this or the writers just fucked the character up. but i've become convinced the character's simply autistic...

skyfall

BbCAr1p.png

Mr.ODST

Putting my question is spoilers just incase but it should not be a spoiler for you.

I'm assuming this has something to do with the ncr bit and the 2 wearing the ranger armor. Were they just pissed they put that in or was there another reason?

Reply Spoiler

Its to do with the dates shown on the board when Lucy enters Vault 4 and sees about nuke that hit the NCR for context here is a copy and pasted quote from a nerd on

X -> (It says in the show that Shady Sands (Capital of the NCR) was nuked in 2277, 4 years before NV, how does a nation have its capital nuked and expand thousands of miles in 4 years?)

But we know Shady Sands was the "First Capital of the NCR" and we know from the games that NCR expanded a lot, PLUS it says "Fall of Shady Sands" then an arrow then a Nuke so it could mean the town fell, NCR left and then the place got nuked.

Its all to do with the "Fall of Shady Sands" date on the chalk board.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Culture warrior and familiar with the lore gives his take!

Why do people listen to hyped up superfans opinions, at the end of the day Fallout is their be all and end all, a TV show is made for the masses not for the minuscule amount of supernerds, obviously he is going to hate it like many other fallout superfans because it doesn't fit what THEY wanted to happen.

Ulysses 31

Why do people listen to hyped up superfans opinions, at the end of the day Fallout is their be all and end all, a TV show is made for the masses not for the minuscule amount of supernerds, obviously he is going to hate it like many other fallout superfans because it doesn't fit what THEY wanted to happen.
Contradicting lore or retconning it is worthy of notice. And its somewhat (IMO) concerning if the current FA creators don't care about those things. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they say the show was canon? They could've done what Halo series did, just say it's some alternate universe stuff.

Mr.ODST

Contradicting lore or retconning it is worthy of notice. And its somewhat (IMO) concerning if the current FA creators don't care about those things. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they say the show was canon? They could've done what Halo series did, just say it's some alternate universe stuff.
But NV wasnt retconned in this series, if you watch the whole thing you would know that, that's why these bellends on social saying it got Retconned admit they never watched it to the end

Ulysses 31

But NV wasnt retconned in this series, if you watch the whole thing you would know that, that's why these bellends on social saying it got Retconned admit they never watched it to the end
perdido.gif

Where did I say anything about NV? We'll see in his full season review if he got it wrong.

amen. god save us all from 'canon'...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Fans are the people who would champion and promote the series more than any other. Constant retcons, altering of timelines, and just generally being shitty to them? You end up losing money. Star Wars, LotR, Marvel, etc - all are losing money hand over fist because they ostracize the fans, ignore basic lore that has long since been established, and generally treat the people who love the franchise like shit.

Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

I am also fan since Fallout 1.

And I was very annoyed by them annihilating NCR in nuclear fire. Basically whenever I replay Fallout 1 and 2 now, no matter how my playthrough ends, I can think "and then it all exploded..". So that sucks.

Or I can just ignore the show and consider it non-canon, and I am used to doing that already with hollyweird fucking up Star Wars and Terminator etc..

I can agree with that. It felt like something that could have been explored in a new Fallout game but just doing it the way they did wasn't great. They wiped out a lot of history in a 1 minute segment.

Last edited:

Strategize

That guy ain't no "super fan" lol. He's another culture war reactionary that get mindbroken by any inkling of diversity. People like Oxhorn and TKs-Mantis are superfans.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

yeah, I've come to think that it's actually a pretty interesting attempt to feature someone who's mildly autistic as a main character. it's the only explanation for all the somewhat unpredictable mood shifts, the over-all immaturity, & the occasional sudden cold-blooded efficiency
on the bridge
i mean, it's either this or the writers just fucked the character up. but i've become convinced the character's simply autistic...
He is the luckiest bastard in the Wasteland. He just keeps falling up! 😂

Denton

I can agree with that. It felt like something that could have been explored in a new Fallout game but just doing it the way they did wasn't great. They wiped out a lot of history in a 1 minute segment.
Particularly when I was specifically looking forward to seeing NCR - I mean, this was our first chance to see it since Fallout 2 in 1998. And in live action, dream come true!

Instead, there is a crater.

Maybe they will have some flashbacks at least in S2, or show Vault City or SF...or maybe they will just fuck everything up.

Fans are the people who would champion and promote the series more than any other. Constant retcons, altering of timelines, and just generally being shitty to them? You end up losing money. Star Wars, LotR, Marvel, etc - all are losing money hand over fist because they ostracize the fans, ignore basic lore that has long since been established, and generally treat the people who love the franchise like shit.
Do you guys honestly feel that Fallout TV is doing all of these things and that the creatives feel this way?

The final with the
cold fusion
is cannon?
Dunno if it's specifically canon about cold fusion, but it is canon that there were resource/energy wars leading up to the bombs dropping, so it's highly likely that multiple teams across the world were looking into cheap, renewable, large scale energy programs, so could have eventually stumbled upon a working formula for it

As stated in the series flashbacks, vault tec/big business wanted to sell ongoing war, its good for their profits, and they started buying up all the sci/energy companies working on the tech and then disbanding everything

The show is canon according to a quick Google search, so it's possible that cold fusion will turn up in future Fallout games now it's appeared in the series

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Do you guys honestly feel that Fallout TV is doing all of these things and that the creatives feel this way?

I think you misunderstand, I was just giving reasons why you should not immediately dismiss a "Superfans" opinions and made references to well known franchises with superfans that the creators actively avoided listening to and started to antagonize.

I don't think the Fallout TV series folks are purposefully pissing of fans, at least not yet. Despite my many issues with the quality of the writing, there are just as many things I genuinely enjoy about the series. I do believe though that the creators SHOULD listen to the "superfans" like Oxhorn and fix the gratuitous continuity errors. They should also be designing a show that makes "superfans" happy, while also targetting the general public. You can do both for any franchise, you don't need to only do one or the other.

Mind you, I don't mean folks like Nerdrotic or Synthetic Man as those kinds of youtubers are just clickbait rage bait posters who find anything and everything to hate about a series. They aren't fans, they are just farming for clicks. No different than the trash that folks like James Sterling posts.

Last edited:
on the bridge
I would agree with this if the character was at all consistent for someone who is autistic, but the actor does have moments where he is very charismatic. I just don't think he is a very good actor, honestly. If it truly was a writing decision, then the writers should have leaned into the autism angle. It would make audiences emphasize with him more and also allow for off-putting comedic moments that would perfectly fit with the show. Maximus just isn't very likeable

I would agree with this if the character was at all consistent for someone who is autistic, but the actor does have moments where he is very charismatic. I just don't think he is a very good actor, honestly. If it truly was a writing decision, then the writers should have leaned into the autism angle. It would make audiences emphasize with him more and also allow for off-putting comedic moments that would perfectly fit with the show. Maximus just isn't very likeable
i'm not seeing the character's being either charismatic at times or unlikable at others negating the possibility of him being autistic. quite the contrary, it's the inconsistency that first made me suspect the possibility. like I mentioned, maybe i'm just imagining it all, & it's just a bad script/actor as you suggest. but, given what we have, damn if it doesn't explain & account for an awful lot of the character's behavior & responses...

This is a great show - people love to bitch about everything these days
just watched the last 2 episodes, & really enjoyed the series for the most part. I've been sorta shocked to discover just how damned seriously a number of people take their fallout games. i've always loved them, & respected the creativity & effort involved in their production, but never for a moment have I ever imagined taking them quite that seriously...

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

This is a great show - people love to bitch about everything these days
Yeah, I think some people can be overly harsh about things. Especially these days. But in the end, people have their own opinions, and no one is right or wrong.

Personally I've always loved the Fallout games, and I will continue to. I also really enjoyed the show. I genuinely didn't expect it to be decent at all, and it ended up being better than that for me. Well, and honestly I don't see how it could've been better. I had already told myself that if I didn't enjoy it, I still had the games and it wouldn't change how I feel/felt about them. It's always awesome to see a show/film adaptation that's done in a way that oozes some or any kind of care and/or passion. Along with being true to source material at all. This contained quite a damn bit, again, more than I was expecting. Absolutely loved the amount of references and easter eggs.

Really interested in seeing what they do with season 2. Genuinely look forward to it. It was good fun.

Last edited:
just finished the show. As someone who has only played Fallout 4 and New Vegas, they nailed the tone of the show perfectly to the game. The shows premise is obviously quite absurd and ridiculous, especially the board members scene in the final episode. Seriously, I haven't seen such over the top dialogue by evil corporate capitalists since the American VIP's in Squid Game. But the show never took itself too seriously, which makes me not overthink it. I feel like 90% of adaptations of Fallout would try to be grounded and very dramatic, which wouldn't work at all

Cyberpunkd

Context: I played original Fallout games when they came out. Hated F3, loved NV, didn’t play much of F4 (downloading to SD right now).

Watched two episodes, so far the show is REALLY GOOD. I cannot believe it - no cheesy dialogue, no woke bullshit, just pure Fallout. Sure, it has the aesthetics of Bethesda games (especially the colour of F4 and F76), but it is not terrible so far.

Diddy X

Some days ago I watched the first half of the first epusode and didn't find it very good but I was wrong, the series gets better from there, good characters and fun to see all the Fallout elements in live action.

Luipadre

Watched the first episode yesterday, but immediately started watching the next one after that. Im not the biggest fallout fan, but i recognize all the easter eggs from games, they look and sounds identical, really cool stuff

hlm666

The final with the
cold fusion
is cannon?
One of the dlcs in 3 I think had the alien ship you could get a gun and alien power cells, that's about the closest I can think of. There is also the mass fusion quest in f4 that may have more info on energy sources if you read the terminals, if I did bother reading them I can't remember it.

That said I think this was just the f3 plot but power instead of fresh water, which let them have the brotherhood oppose it/want it.

lifa-cobex

The rant about how Amazon and Todd Howard don't even care about Fallout :messenger_grinning_smiling:.

Obviously both parties want it to be successful. The very fact of Todd being involved implies he gives a shit.
It's his money cow.

Finished it and enjoyed it more than I was expecting to.

The writers really took the best part of the Fallout story (imo) and ran with it in the
Vault/Vault-Tec
storyline - perhaps Todd should take notes!

Loved hearing some of the Fallout 4 OST throughout the series.

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Finished it today as well.

I'm a huge Fallout fan, I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours in 3, NV and 4 and I absolutely loved the show. Can't wait for season 2.

Also shoutout to this guy:

GAW1ETWagAAy4fI

He killed me during the office scene. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom