• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Families of Uvalde school shooting victims sue Meta, Microsoft, gunmaker

havoc00

May 24 (Reuters) - Families of the victims of the 2022 elementary school shooting in Uvalde, Texas, filed two lawsuits on Friday against Instagram's parent company Meta (META.O), opens new tab, Activision Blizzard and its parent Microsoft (MSFT.O), opens new tab and the gunmaker Daniel Defense, claiming they cooperated to market dangerous weapons to impressionable teens such as the Uvalde shooter.

Together, the wrongful death complaints argue that Daniel Defense – a Georgia-based gun manufacturer – used Instagram and

Activision's video game Call of Duty to market its assault-style rifles to teenage boys, while Meta and Microsoft facilitated the strategy with lax oversight and no regard for the consequences.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF

TransTrender

Gold Member
Have they sued the local PD which failed them, or at least, burned down their homes then tared and feathered the officers themselves?
I remember the PD was also harassing the locals for complaining, so you know, I have no space in my heart for the Uvalde PD.

tkscz

It takes all of a single google search to find over 40 studies showing that not only do games like CoD not cause this kind of behavior, but they in fact, act as a way to channel that behavior away from being acted upon. It'll take MS or Meta using any of those in court and it may not even reach trial because of it.

FeralEcho

Ah of course,It's the gun's fault and the movies/games that include them not the actual person that pulled the trigger.That person is secretly a saint who was tricked by the corporations to pull the trigger afterall...

Dean Winchester Reaction GIF

It's the equivalent of The devil made me do it in religious cults.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I would 100% support them if they were suing the Uvalde police department and other federal agencies that responded to the tragedy, but this is absolutely ridiculous. Suing a video game company for the mass murder of children is like some early 2000s boomer outrage.

They are suing the police department and every agent that was there that wasn't border patrol. On top of that they are requesting all local pd to be re-trianed.

These companies should settle, for they have a role to play in the fraying of society.

Gun owner. The gun fetish stuff definitely exists, and I believe games do not incite this behavior, but they further enable a fantasy in the wrong minds. Combined with the low trust society these huge corporations have crafted, I have no problem with their pocket books opening up for bereaved families.

bitbydeath

The shooters parents should always be held accountable in these situations, somewhere along the line they messed up.

Pejo

I can't imagine the anguish from having your child gunned down at a school with police that refused to step in. I don't think they have much ground to stand on with these particular lawsuits but their mental state has got to be suffering.

Shame that you know it's some lawyer prompting this stuff in an endless search for money.

Mr.Phoenix

Oh, sweet America. After 100s of years. They still haven't figured out that match + kerosene + human + time = fire.

But yeah, let's blame the matchmaker, the kerosene that was just there minding its own business, the human that decided to mind the kerosene's business, and the time it took for all this to happen. And let's keep ignoring the people who actually thought it was a good idea to put all these things together in one room.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It's funny kids use to have toy cap guns that look like real guns and pretended to be soldiers and cowboys without any mass school shootings. So you have to ask what else has changed since that time? Soldiers and cowboys were cool then now it's all over sexed and immoral media and horrible marketing that drives all kids thoughts.

Oh, sweet America. After 100s of years. They still haven't figured out that match + kerosene + human + time = fire.

But yeah, let's blame the matchmaker, the kerosene that was just there minding its own business, the human that decided to mind the kerosene's business, and the time it took for all this to happen. And let's keep ignoring the people who actually thought it was a good idea to put all these things together in one room.

Go on. I would say the kerosene in this case likely was processed and carelessly spilled on the playground by Meta and MS. Is there another aspect of the analogy I am missing?

These companies hold plenty of blame in the current state of things, and they profit greatly. There is also personal and parental blame, but these people are not living in a society for which they are equipped and the rules are being hidden.

recursive

These companies should settle, for they have a role to play in the fraying of society.

Gun owner. The gun fetish stuff definitely exists, and I believe games do not incite this behavior, but they further enable a fantasy in the wrong minds. Combined with the low trust society these huge corporations have crafted, I have no problem with their pocket books opening up for bereaved families.
Fuck off.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Will go nowhere, as it should. But at the same time I’m not gonna blame any parent for lashing out after losin their kid no matter how irrational it is. They have every right to be angry, and some will probably be that way for the rest of their life.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Anything for a buck.

Lawyers likely working on consignment. Give it the 'ol college try and if they can squeeze out any money from the corporations it's a win win for families and lawyers.

When it comes to court cases, you always go after the ones with money. No point going after the suspects family. They are probably broke.

Z O N E

Sorry for their loss, but this argument is exactly the same as when politicians said "video games cause violence" yet apparently movies throughout history have been just fine.

demigod

They only got 2 million from the city and that has to be split amongst the family. Hopefully they get more suing the PD.

Top Bottom