• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family friendly IPs getting crap under the radar (Pooh Bear is a smug nihilist jerk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really a shame, I'd imagine people would love the Disney characters more if they let them have a bit more attitude like they used to.

Lijik

Man.
The old Winnie Pooh strips.
(which I found out about via a Cracked article, which also referenced the Popeye cartoon)

299004_v1.jpg

299010_v1.jpg

299008_v1.jpg

299014_v1.jpg

Maaaaaaaan.

i was gonna post these but im glad to see theyre already represented
everyone is such an asshole in these lmao

butzopower

proud of his butz
These Pooh comics are hilarious given the context of him being a total ass, but I feel like the intent was more that he was socially dense than outright belligerent.

NateDog

Kinda ironic that Eeyore is the only character in those comics who isn't an ass.
Eeyore is the only cool one and always has been.

It's really a shame, I'd imagine people would love the Disney characters more if they let them have a bit more attitude like they used to.
To be honest I still think Pooh does have some of that attitude in Kingdom Hearts at times. By the time I got into the series I hadn't watched Winnie The Pooh for a long time but I genuinely think he's a dick in the game most of the time.

Faiz

Linked a Phineas and Ferb Christmas special but it's... Not as I remembered it. I think it was changed to tone it down...

dluu13

Pooh in the movies and cartoon show is an airhead, innocent and a little bit self-centered bear. In the comics he is a lazy smartass capable of effortless sass.

I probably should have included the comic that it was attached to, but I was asking specifically about the one where Roo's mom is calling him.

Yrael

I probably should have included the comic that it was attached to, but I was asking specifically about the one where Roo's mom is calling him.

I think that one is meant to be along the lines of:

"Of course my mother's calling me - she always stops me when I'm having a good time. (I'll just ignore her.)"

36608_thumb.gif

HOLY SHIT @ Pooh. It's not just that he's an asshole, it's how much he revels in it and seeks it out. Like, most assholes are opportunistic, but Pooh is going out of his way to set up situations to be a douchebag.

I am legit impressed.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
HOLY SHIT @ Pooh. It's not just that he's an asshole, it's how much he revels in it and seeks it out. Like, most assholes are opportunistic, but Pooh is going out of his way to set up situations to be a douchebag.

I am legit impressed.

Piglet is learning how to deal with the cunt though.

tumblr_mat4tiz3B21rwxz9ko1_500.gif

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
This has been the funniest thread of the year so far for me.

All these decades of knowing and watching Pooh, and I never knew that he was an asshole.

Like, to the point I'm surprised no one punched him in his face yet.

The one with Piglet mentioning that grasshoppers have their ears in their legs and Pooh asking if he knows anything sensible - damn that one killed me, among others.

Richie

The stampede of many more Pooh comics. The theories on this being linked to the Flash baseball game. The title change. I love you guys to death. With the love that Pooh denies to everyone and everything surrounding him.

These Pooh comics are hilarious given the context of him being a total ass, but I feel like the intent was more that he was socially dense than outright belligerent.

That's a very interesting take on this...Of course, in some you'd reaaaally have to take "socially dense" to extreme levels to stick with it.

Either way, mad props for the creative team behind these strips. Guys got approved as writers for a franchise most people associate with toddlers, and likely were expected to settle for harmless, inane jokes; they said, the hell with that, and the hell with all of 100 Acres as far as the bear's concerned, and made him a fucking prick. That "What's Up" strip between Gopher and Pooh would have been the norm with any other creative team, but here the trend is to have Pooh shit on his 'friends' self-esteem with no provocation whatsoever. All under Disney's nose, no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom