• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Does this describe the incident here? According to who? Where was the gun? Can I see it? How is the man behaving?

Okay - take away the whole factor of the gun. The motivation. The demeanor. The delicious skittles in your pocket. You just leave a convenience store at night and you're walking back home when you notice a car roll up on you. The guy gets out of the car.

Not threatened? Uncomfortable?

Air

Banned
I don't think so, because he didn't follow the kid "repeatedly," for starters.

No it isn't! Did you even read what you posted? There's an AND there, which means ALL of those things need to be satisfied. It must be MALICIOUS, WILLFUL AND REPEATED. Tell me right now all of these things happened. PLEASE.

You could argue that if this is a racially motivated crime that, malicious and willful are covered. Repeated, admittedly may be harder. A lawyer could argue that the neighborhood watch guy saw the kid once in order to make the call. Than he had to go out of his way again to confront him. It may be a hard argument to make, but it isn't impossible. Again, irregardless of that, there was still no logical reason for the neighborhood watch guy to get out of his car, or follow the kid.

Maybe it would help us understand each other better if we wrote out the possible scenario's we are envisioning here - here's a possible scenario where the 17 year old started the physical confrontation:

26 year old man gets out of the car, and approaches the 17 year old
26: "Hey, let me talk to you"
17: "Uh, yeah?"
26: "What are you doing right now?"
17: "What am I doing right now? What the fuck is it your business what I am doing right now?"
26: "Well where are you going then?"
17: "None of your business man"
*starts to walk away, 26 year old tells him to stop, maybe moves in front of him*
17: "Get the fuck out of my way"
*pushes/shoves 26 year old, or in some way, gets physical - fight breaks out, 17 year old gets shot*

Does that sound plausible?
Yes, very. Edit: or the Neighborhood Watch guy could've been the one to first get physical, grabbing the kid for example.

KHarvey16

So if some random pulled up to you in the middle of the night you wouldn't feel threatened?

Why is this the question? The right one to ask is would I legally be justified in physically confronting him, and I would not. Do you understand why this is the relevant point?

Log4Girlz

No? I don't understand your question.

And since we can't do that, assume guilt. Right?

Everything else is pointing to it. Who was this kid threatening? All indications are that he was simply walking home minding his own business...which if Zimmerman did the same, we wouldn't have a dead kid.

Draft

Just thinking about this is making me really upset. People who say that racism is dead in America are fools. This kid is dead because of some ignorant piece of shit with a gun, and it sounds like the guy is going to walk away. How many children is he going to have to kill before something's done? Seriously, wtf.

DY_nasty

Again, irregardless of that, there was still no logical reason for the neighborhood watch guy to get out of his car, or follow the kid.

But... what if he needed directions?
Why is this the question? The right one to ask is would I legally be justified in physically confronting him, and I would not. Do you understand why this is the relevant point?

So obtuse it hurts.

Does this not satisfy?

This probably wouldn't be stalking--"repeated" here is likely referring to situations where someone is being followed several times (on different occasions).

But the actions described most certainly can be considered harassment. Harassment, by the way, is a crime.

KHarvey16

Or maybe let a jury decide?

If the evidence is there for a trial they will.

You could argue that if this is a racially motivated crime that, malicious and willful are covered. Repeated, admittedly may be harder. A lawyer could argue that The neighborhood watch guy saw the kid once in order to make the call. Than he had to go out of his way again to confront him. It may be a hard argument to make, but it isn't impossible. Again, irregardless of that, there was still no logical reason for the neighborhood watch guy to get out of his car, or follow the kid.

Repeatedly is not satisfied in that way. Also malice dependent upon a racial motivation would require some kind of proof. Lacking a logical reason to do something does not alter its legality.

commedieu

Banned
What should happen, isn't going to happen. If the guy can afford a better lawyer than the victims family, thats all there is to it. I'm not satisfied with the actions of the police, nor would anyone whose child had been killed in their gated community. You guys can argue speculative matters all day, and people can always pretend how they would react. Its just yet another example of why you have to be more careful as a black man in this world whilst shopping for candy.

It isn't a hate crime, but I know it wouldn't have happened with a white teenager.

Maddness

Wow. That is one fucked up story. So do they feel his (probably newly formed) white guilt will be enough punishment and that he shouldn't go to fucking prison for being a murdering racist dumbass?

Also I laughed hard at "innocent man."

DY_nasty

What should happen, isn't going to happen. If the guy can afford a better lawyer than the victims family, thats all there is to it. I'm not satisfied with the actions of the police, nor would anyone whose child had been killed in their gated community. You guys can argue speculative matters all day, and people can always pretend how they would react. Its just yet another example of why you have to be more careful as a black man in this world whilst shopping for candy.

It isn't a hate crime, but I know it wouldn't have happened with a white teenager.

No skittles after dark

KHarvey16

The only indication of a struggle in that article is a wet back, how does that justify use of deadly force?

The man was also bleeding from the face and head. It's in the article I linked.

Everything else is pointing to it. Who was this kid threatening? All indications are that he was simply walking home minding his own business...which if Zimmerman did the same, we wouldn't have a dead kid.

Who said the kid was threatening?

Korey

Posting the facts again to drown out the troll:

Victim
  • High school junior student
  • Black
  • Carrying: Ice Tea, Skittles
  • What he was doing prior to altercation: Getting candy for younger brother; minding his own business
  • What he did during altercation: Got shot and died

Shooter
  • College student, self-appointed captain of The Retreat at Twin Lakes neighborhood watch
  • White
  • Carrying: Gun
  • What he was doing prior to altercation: Stalking someone he found suspicious in his car (for reasons we can only speculate on), calling the police, told by police not to follow guy he is trailing, follows him anyway, gets out of car to engage him
  • What he did during altercation: Shot and killed someone
  • What he did after altercation: Claimed self defense

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, tough one!! Too bad Sherlock Holmes isn't around to help solve this case! Wouldn't want to be on that jury!

Wow. That is one fucked up story. So do they feel his (probably newly formed) white guilt will be enough punishment and that he shouldn't go to fucking prison for being a murdering racist dumbass?

Also I laughed hard at "innocent man."

Words out of context are fun, aren't they?

Aeonin

This probably wouldn't be stalking--"repeated" here is likely referring to situations where someone is being followed several times (on different occasions).\

There is no likely referring in the law. Its the words, plain and simple. Thats KHarvey's whole stickt. But he won't reply to it.

Log4Girlz

I've actually been followed on foot by a grown man in my own neighborhood. It was a scary fucking situation.

*puts on Harvey glasses*

Why would you possible feel fear in that situation? Did you talk to the guy? Maybe he needed directions.

Alright I'll stop now, hope that level of sarcasm doesn't get me banned. :/

commedieu

Banned
No skittles after dark

Also, the Neighborhood watch should be added to the list of authority figures minorities must respond to when questioned. Someone needs to post that in the black thread so that others know they share the same jurisdiction as police officers. I mean hell, I didn't know.

Derwind

The question we need to be asking is, what right does this guy have to confront a teen walking by himself?

In what scenario would this be justified?

More to the point, what sort of suspicion would justify such a thing?

*puts on Harvey glasses*

Why would you possible feel fear in that situation? Did you talk to the guy? Maybe he needed directions.

Irony here is that if I was black, in the south, and being followed by some white dude in a car, I'd fear for my fucking life. And yet the kid is acting suspicious?

Air

Banned
Repeatedly is not satisfied in that way. Also malice dependent upon a racial motivation would require some kind of proof. Lacking a logical reason to do something does not alter its legality.

Going against Police orders to follow - repeated following willfully.
Tailing teen in the middle of the night and then confronting while carrying loaded gun into gated community - harassment and malice.
Does this not satisfy?

I would consider anything after the police call as "repeatedly".

"Oh I only followed her to her house once. I can't be stalking her right?"

Lacking a logical reason may not alter the legality. It just stops you from doing dumb things, like I don't know, getting out of your car to personally face a potential threat?

KHarvey16

*puts on Harvey glasses*

It isn't the sarcasm that would get you banned, but the willful misrepresentation of my argument and the need to put words in my mouth. I'm typing enough here, I don't need you to help me!

Korey

The question we need to be asking is, what right does this guy have to confront a teen walking by himself?

In what scenario would this be justified?

More to the point, what sort of suspicion would justify such a thing?

He's the self-appointed captain of the neighborhood watch in that gated community.

Seriously.

Log4Girlz

It isn't the sarcasm that would get you banned, but the willful misrepresentation of my argument and the need to put words in my mouth. I'm typing enough here, I don't need you to help me!

Absolutely, the words coming out of your mouth are enough. We will see how everything turns out. I have little to no faith that justice will be done and have every right to feel that way.

KHarvey16

I missed that part, still doesn't justify shooting a kid in the chest.

The potential for grievous bodily harm justifies lethal force in Florida. The witness describes, and the incident report lines up with, the 17 year old being on top of the man while hitting him. If that accurately describes the incident, under Florida law the shooting could be legal self defense.

commedieu

Banned
The man was also bleeding from the face and head. It's in the article I linked.

Who said the kid was threatening?

His dead limp body with a hand cannon wound in the chest suggests lethal forced had to be used to put the animal down. The shooter felt he was a threat enough to brandish a weapon to begin with. Either that, or he forgot how to shake hands.

If the man would have listened to the police, the kid wouldn't be dead today, although I'm sure he had a propensity to rob liquor stores and invade homes. It was only a matter of time I suppose.

Absolutely, the words coming out of your mouth are enough. We will see how everything turns out. I have little to no faith that justice will be done and have every right to feel that way.

Why do I feel like there are different interpretations of justice in this thread.

KHarvey16

His dead limp body with a hand cannon wound in the chest suggests lethal forced had to be used to put the animal down. The shooter felt he was a threat enough to brandish a weapon to begin with. Either that, or he forgot how to shake hands.

He brandished the weapon? When?

railGUN

Banned
The potential for grievous bodily harm justifies lethal force in Florida. The witness describes, and the incident report lines up with, the 17 year old being on top of the man while hitting him. If that accurately describes the incident, under Florida law the shooting could be legal self defense.

And the events leading up to that point have no effect on the case?

DY_nasty

If the guy hasn't even been arrested, then yeah... I'm with the rest of you guys with the belief that he'll walk with a 'hefty fine'.

He still won't even come out and say that a car riding up on you in the middle of the night is threatening.

Aeonin

Going against Police orders to follow - repeated following willfully.
Tailing teen in the middle of the night and then confronting while carrying loaded gun into gated community - harassment and malice

ANY response at all KHarvey?

Does this not compute? (...really, I'm just asking, I could be wrong...)

Log4Girlz

If the guy hasn't even been arrested, then yeah... I'm with the rest of you guys with the belief that he'll walk with a 'hefty fine'.

He still won't even come out and say that a car riding up on you in the middle of the night is threatening.

But it doesn't count as stalking so legally how can it be threatening? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom