• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHarvey16

Yes, he almost assuredly did. He was following him in his car, some time transpired, and then they were both fighting on the ground. Now, how could that first event transition to the second? Well, there's 2 possibilities.

1. The teen physically pulled him out of the car. HIGHLY improbable. Even if the teen came up to his car and started attacking it, getting out over driving away would make no sense. Basically there's next to no chance of this scenario being what occured. Or
2. He stopped his car, got out and confronted the teen.

Unless you're able to come up with another possibility, I'd say it's more likely to be 2. Meaning he went from following the teen in his car, to getting out and approaching him.

Did you read what you quoted? Confronting the teen and physically stopping him are worlds apart legally.

Why did the man consider the kid to be suspicious? Why did he call the police? Why did he disobey dispatch? Why did he get out of the car?

And what was the kid doing during all this? Just walking home.

You'll certainly have to read more of the thread, then.

He's a lawyer who I'm sure has been reading. You're missing his point.

Log4Girlz

Why did the man consider the kid to be suspicious? Why did he call the police? Why did he disobey dispatch? Why did he get out of the car?

But like, its totally feasible that poor George was merely acting in self-defense.

Kettch

I'm still waiting for someone to explain why this guy hasn't been arrested. He killed the kid, absolutely no one is disputing that.

Why is he not in custody while they investigate whether this was murder or self-defense?

Can you really shoot someone in the chest and walk around free while your motives are looked into?

He's a lawyer who I'm sure has been reading. You're missing his point.

I don't see anyone arguing from a legal standpoint. People are playing what if from a factual standpoint.

I would disagree. Multiple posters have been questioning and evaluating the possible situations within the scope of the law and evidence. Seems like a legal perspective to me.

It was late at night, correct? It's a kid walking alone (maybe even fast-walking to get home). If it were a city, then picking that one kid out would be odd, but it could be suspicious.

He wanted to justify his actions, or maybe even feel like a hero. Or maybe just to confirm his suspicions.

He's brash, ignorant. Maybe he just wanted to be a hero. Maybe he thought he could wrap things up easily. Maybe he could have even pretended to be one of those renegade cops on TV - the boss gets mad at them, but dammit if they didn't do their job.

To do the above.

Derwind

After the complete negligence and incompetence when responding to a suspicious character after which leaves a kid, a minor dead, for walking in the wrong neighbourhood after picking up Skittles & Arizona Ice Tea, a man is not detained until investigations are over, rather he's at the moment set free until investigations can deem him to have not acted in self defense is fucking sad.... it's beyond sad...

And this thread is disintegrated into arguing over whether he was legally justified in murdering this kid over his already confirmed baseless suspicions..

Fuck this thread.

Dude Abides

Banned
Well thanks! Appreciate you shitting up the posters who have been trying to evaluate the incident with any sense of objectivity. Great addition to the discussion!

I don't see any objectivity. KHarvey is just doing that devil's advocate lets wait thing he likes to do where we can't come to any tentative conclusions until all facts are known to 100% certainty. A couple people posted statutes without any cases interpreting them. Unfortunately researching Florida state cases requires Lexis or Westlaw, which are expensive and can't be done on my iPad. If people want to argue the facts that's fine, but none of us know enough about Florida law to be able to say whether anyone involved was acting in self defense.

Here's something quick and dirty.

http://writ.news.findlaw.com/sebok/20050502.html

This suggests that Zimmerman should at least be charged, and should have to prove his affirmative defense rather than the police just letting it go.

I don't see any objectivity. KHarvey is just doing that devil's advocate lets wait thing he likes to do where we can't come to any tentative conclusions until all facts are known to 100% certainty. A couple people posted statutes without any cases interpreting them. Unfortunately researching Florida state cases requires Lexis or Westlaw, which are expensive and can't be done on my iPad. If people want to argue the facts that's fine, but none of us know enough about Florida law to be able to say whether anyone involved was acting in self defense.

Sounds like numerous posters stating the facts given and saying that nothing else can really be said until the investigation is completed.

StartSomething

Neo Member
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/family-teen-fatally-shot-neighborhood-watch-leader/nLNq9/

The family of a teen, who was fatally shot by neighborhood watch leader George Zimmerman, filed a public records lawsuit on Thursday in an effort to get more answers about how the boy died.

Family members said 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, of Miami, was visiting his father and stepmother last month at their home in the Retreat at Twin Lakes, which is a predominately white neighborhood in Sanford.

The teen's family told WFTV that they want to hear the 911 call made just before Martin was shot and killed.

Martin's family said he was walking from a convenience store when he was confronted by Zimmerman.

Martin's family and his attorneys believe the 911 call will reveal what kind of instructions dispatchers gave the neighborhood watch leader when he called them, claiming there was a suspicious person in the neighborhood.

On Thursday, Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee confirmed to WFTV that the dispatcher told Zimmerman to wait for officers to arrive.

However, before police arrived, Zimmerman shot and killed Martin during a scuffle, investigators said.

In the recording, Zimmerman said "They always get away," which could prove the family's case that he was out to get their son that day.

Police said they found a bag of Skittles and a can of iced tea on Martin, but no weapons.

It seems that at least some of the recording has become available.

damn, by a member of the neighborhood watch? they carry guns now?

Holy hell, thisx110000.

I live in a gated community in Jersey. I reside in one of the wealthiest counties in the country (has been in the top 10 in the past decade) and my neighborhood has a neighborhood watch

I can say without a doubt, the same thing would happen here. :///

J.W.Crazy

You implied the man physically stopped the teen, causing a confrontation. Why? Other than it being an assumption I mean.

You keep harping on about physical contact and who first instigated it. Why? It does not matter. The very same laws that allow you to defend yourself with a gun also allow you to defend yourself with any other weapon at hand, including... your own hands! If someone threatens you, be that physically, verbally, or otherwise (body language even!), you have the right to remove that threat. The only time you must prove the severity of the threat is when you choose to use a gun and/or choose to kill someone. If you're actions could reasonably be perceived as any kind of threat you can, and often will, be punched in the face many times regardless of your intentions! If you're actions are the root cause of the incident you are at fault!

Example scenario wherein intention's are irrelevant to legal outcome:

I am in a movie theater and I smell something burning. I approach an employee and tell him this. He responds thusly, "These projectors are old and dirty. It's probably just some dust burning off the bulbs. If you'll just stay here, I can check on it, and then we'll take the appropriate actions based on my findings." After he walks away I decide it would be best if I alert the other patrons just in case. I walk into the nearest room, loudly say, "Attention, there may be a fire!" People react by hurriedly running toward any available exit. Some of them are trampled, causing injury and perhaps even death. As it turns out, it was just some dust burning off an old projector bulb.

Regardless of my intentions my failure to follow both standard accepted protocol and the advise of persons in a position of authority leaves me in a position of legal responsibility.

Dude Abides

Banned
Sounds like numerous posters stating the facts given and saying that nothing else can really be said until the investigation is completed.

Yes, arguing the facts, not the law.

Here is more that suggests that stand your ground may be interpreted very broadly:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/dou...-under-fl-stand-your-ground-self-defense-law/

A key question is whether stopping your car and approaching someone at night could be considered threatening imminent bodily harm, such that Martin would have been justified in standing his ground. Ironically the above case suggests it could be, but I'm not going to be able to find that specific fact pattern on google.

Obviously, the victim was gonna grow up to be like him anyways:

The_Wire_Brother_Mouzone.jpg

Log4Girlz

le sigh

Their latest newsletter CLEARLY mentions TEENS being a problem because they were hopping a wall and damaging it (causing the HOA members to pay for it).

I would wager the young man being black was the cause of him being followed and later confronted.

Who's they? Oh that's right, the black people.

I read "they" as "the criminals.

Problem is in his zeal to confront someone who he believed was yet another criminal...and what about the boy led him to believe he was "just another criminal" for whom he needed to go Batman against.
his black skin and locks, no doubt.

I read "they" as "the criminals.

Problem is in his zeal to confront someone who he believed was yet another criminal...and what about the boy led him to believe he was "just another criminal".
his black skin and locks, no doubt.

Or what made him assume this teen was the one doing it? Oh right black kid, rich neighborhood. I sense a theme here.

Arcteryx

I would wager the young man being black was the cause of him being followed and later confronted.

Or maybe he saw him jump the wall? Who fucking knows.

Lets wait til we get some actual inforfuckingmation maybe?

Or what made him assume this teen was the one doing it? Oh right black kid, rich neighborhood. I sense a theme here.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...illed-sanford-police-20120308,0,1380794.story

I'll post it again, since some of you don't seem to understand it:

Martin was an invited guest, visiting his father's fiancée and her family for a few days, they said. He had visited before, and it was a community with black and minority residents.

Log4Girlz

Or maybe he saw him jump the wall? Who fucking knows.

Lets wait til we get some actual inforfuckingmation maybe?

There is enough information to draw my conclusion. I do not think it is a coincidence this armed white man followed a teen then went against police advice not to engage and went ahead and engaged. Judge me how you will.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
George is the real victim here... he's a great guy, he doesn't deserve this.

KHarvey16

You keep harping on about physical contact and who first instigated it. Why? It does not matter. The very same laws that allow you to defend yourself with a gun also allow you to defend yourself with any other weapon at hand, including... your own hands!

Of course it matters. If the man initiated physical contact and wasn't justified in doing so he's a murderer. If the teen initiated unjustified physical contact and presented the threat of death or grievous bodily harm, the man acted in self defense.

If someone threatens you, be that physically, verbally, or otherwise (body language even!), you have the right to remove that threat. The only time you must prove the severity of the threat is when you choose to use a gun and/or choose to kill someone. If you're actions could reasonably be perceived as any kind of threat you can, and often will, be punched in the face many times regardless of your intentions! If you're actions are the root cause of the incident you are at fault!

Uh, no, you can't just go around punching people for making what you perceive to be threats. Well, you could I guess, but then you'd go to jail.

A key question is whether stopping your car and approaching someone at night could be considered threatening imminent bodily harm, such that Martin would have been justified in standing his ground. Ironically the above case suggests it could be, but I'm not going to be able to find that specific fact pattern on google.

I don't think the possibility of it being deemed a threat is being argued, but rather if it must always constitute a threat.

All I was saying is that it doesn't ALWAYS have to be about race (even though I initially agreed with that logic from the little info in the OP).

And I'm sure if the victim was white the police would be so quick to give as much of a shit as they have thus far. But it's just conjecture on my behalf right? Not systemic dismissal of these kinds of cases.

I don't think the possibility of it being deemed a threat is being argued, but rather if it must always constitute a threat.

No, what's being argued is what's more likely. I don't think anyone here is claiming that the fact that he left his car automatically proves beyond a reasonable doubt that he was not acting in self-defense. Thankfully, no one here is on the jury. All we can do for the sake of discussion is draw conclusions based on the limited facts available to us (otherwise, what's the fucking point of discussion?)--and those facts tend to point against a claim of self-defense.

I got an idea! Let's lock any and all threads involving a pending investigation/case until the defendant is ultimately convicted/acquitted!

KHarvey16

"Must always" isn't the issue. The issue is whether it reasonably was perceived as such under these particular circumstances.

Exactly. Others were arguing explicitly that the details and particular circumstances did not matter as it could not be anything but a threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom