• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Info 8 Apr 2009

icecream

Public Health Threat
Totobeni said:
but this is kinda confirm many guys theories about SE, tri-ace and PS3 .

look like forcing poor tri-ace to do exclusive Xbox 360 titles cost SquareEnix a good developer , stupid monyhat :lol .
Wrong. Sega actually wants to make money, and they have no prior arrangements with MS, of course it would be a multiplatform game.

It made sense for IU/SO4 when tri-Ace had only a 360 engine running, but now that they have a multiplatform base, they can go anywhere.

xfactor

Banned
I don't want to disappoint anyone but I saw a demon soul related scan....it only shows the sales for that game (and other games) and nothing else. it sold 100715 copies.

Not sure if that is the only mention in the magazine

xfactor said:
I don't want to disappoint anyone but I saw a demon soul related scan....it only shows the sales for that game (and other games) and nothing else. it sold 100715 copies.

Is the Valkyria Chronicles stuff just the anime then?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
xfactor said:

:O

nice work Japanese PS3 owners ..but why you idiots didn't bought Folksoul and Valkyria Chronicles ?

also SCEJ plz just like Ape Escape 2 , Namaikida , Rule of Roses and other ..give the game to some "good " publisher , we need it here , screw SCEA .

Keikoku

Banned
neojubei said:
Don't know is it a bad game?

Can't wait it's announced for PS3 then it will be a day one purchase for you amirite ?

Most of the SO4-bashing comes from people who haven't even played the game. And surprise surprise, it so happens that it's an exclusive game.

This. I haven't played the game (Euroland here) and will probably skip it for TOV but the amount of hate is just ridiculous. I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles right now and I had an extraordinary amount of "facepalm moments" because of some embarassing dialogues and situations, is this a bad game because of that ? Clearly not. So quit the bitching about this, every game is not Vagrant Story.

Llyranor

Most of the SO4-bashing comes from people who haven't even played the game. And surprise surprise, it so happens that it's an exclusive game.

It - like any other game - has some issues, some big and some small. And there are certainly people who aren't completely enamored by it voicing their opinion in the official thread here and there, which really should be the place to check if you want good or bad impressions on the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Llyranor said:

actually most of the SO4 bashing in this thread and the other new thread is by owners of the system that SO4 on exclusively and some random SE fans , of obvious and stupid reasons , the poor developers and their games by magic turn to shitty bad now .

must love internetz

Rpgmonkey

Hero of Legend said:
Yep, including of Tales of Graces!

What does the info say about it?

In the Tales thread if you didn't see it.

Got swallowed up by people laughing at that stupid nerdrage post.

Keikoku said:
This. I haven't played the game (Euroland here) and will probably skip it for TOV but the amount of hate is just ridiculous. I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles right now and I had an extraordinary amount of "facepalm moments" because of some embarassing dialogues and situations, is this a bad game because of that ? Clearly not. So quit the bitching about this, every game is not Vagrant Story.

Star Ocean 4 isn't mediocre only because it has dialogue and voice-acting that rivals the FFX laughing scene, it's because everything outside of the combat is generally awful. Shitty pacing, graphics, presentation, etc.

To be fair, Star Ocean 3 had many of the same problems. Perhaps it's my fault I expected something different.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Star Ocean 4's biggest stumbling block wasnt the X360....
It was Star Ocean 3. Man, that game dissapointed a lot of people.

I was one of them.

I have SO4, but I borrowed it from my brother. I'll get around to it, but people hearing saying its just like 3 scares me. Man, 2 was so good! (I even watched the anime)

As for Demon's Souls, glad we finally got confirmation its passed 100k! And it's still in the Top 50 :) Announce at E3 it's coming to N.A.!!!!!!!!!

jeremy1456

SO4 is superior to SO3, and is easily one of the best RPGs this gen. This, coming from someone who hated SO3.

People don't like it because of it's story/characters, but you know what? Those people represent the epitomy of everything that is wrong with the genre today.

You heard me.

Linkup

jeremy1456 said:
SO4 is superior to SO3, and is easily one of the best RPGs this gen. This, coming from someone who hated SO3.

People don't like it because of it's story/characters, but you know what? Those people represent the epitomy of everything that is wrong with the genre today.

You heard me.

I get it.

noonche

jeremy1456 said:

You heard me.

Or it really is an abysmal story coupled with lackluster gameplay. Every large-ish RPG that I can think of that isn't by Tri-Ace is better than SO4.

jeremy1456

alske said:
Or it really is an abysmal story coupled with lackluster gameplay. Every large-ish RPG that I can think of that isn't by Tri-Ace is better than SO4.

No, it's an abysmal story that's wrapped around a very fun game.

I can think of several large-'ish' RPGs that are not better than SO4.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am pretty far in SO4 (not quite done, but almost) and I agree with Red Blaster's assessment except for the gameplay. I think the gameplay is really good. Really, really good. Has some big problems, but on the whole fun, addictive, fast, and enjoyable. But yeah, I skip almost all the cutscenes and the characters are atrocious. And, after tri-ace last gen, the technical proficiency is just not there.

I don't think there's anything in Valkyria half as bad (if you hate Hans, you're a dunce) as a character ending every sentence with "'kay." But I LOVE Lymle in gameplay, omg, she is such a beast.

But I don't hold it against people who expect a top-notch presentation (particularly in a series known for its presentation from a developer that was a master last generation), beautiful music, memorable characters, and an entertaining story in their RPGs. If I tried watching all these cutscenes, I would like the game way, way less.

I popped in SO4 when it came out and IMMEDIATELY hated it. I only came back to it two weeks later to get at the goodness at the core.

Also, if anyone cares, game bomba'd already and is $40 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LGFPSY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 .

noonche

jeremy1456 said:

I honestly don't know which you'd be referring to.

I also can't see where the "fun game" part of SO4 is. The dungeon exploring is tedious and unrewarding, the side-quests are boring, the skill system is shallow, the item creation takes a stupidly long amount of running around compared to 1 & 2, the battle AI is brokenly bad, and 99% of battles can be won by holding B and waiting for an enemy to walk up to you.

jeremy1456

alske said:
I honestly don't know which you'd be referring to.

I also can't see where the "fun game" part of SO4 is. The dungeon exploring is tedious and unrewarding, the side-quests are boring, the skill system is shallow, the item creation takes a stupidly long amount of running around compared to 1 & 2, the battle AI is brokenly bad, and 99% of battles can be won by holding B and waiting for an enemy to walk up to you.

:lol

By played it, do you mean watched a few youtube videos?

I think it's time for me to leave.

noonche

jeremy1456 said:
:lol

By played it, do you mean watched a few youtube videos?

I think it's time for me to leave.

Check my gamer tag. Alske. I've finished it. Posted my impressions in the official thread too.

Y2Kev

I didn't think dungeon design was anything adventurous, but I only thought 1 dungeon was really atrocious, so that is a step up from IU (where every dungeon was atrocious). :D

I guess you can reduce it to a really simple formula, but I still think it's pretty addictive.

noonche

Y2Kev said:
I didn't think dungeon design was anything adventurous, but I only thought 1 dungeon was really atrocious, so that is a step up from IU (where every dungeon was atrocious). :D

I guess you can reduce it to a really simple formula, but I still think it's pretty addictive.

Are you at the last dungeon? I'd call that crap atrocious.

I don't think the game is terrible. It's just not anything above mediocre.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
alske said:
jeremy1456 said:

Opinions :)

Y2Kev

alske said:
Are you at the last dungeon? I'd call that crap atrocious.

I don't think the game is terrible. It's just not anything above mediocre.
I'm on En II. So not yet.

Kyoufu

Well SO4 isn't even out in Europe yet. Should I not bother getting it? Haven't heard great things but I do remember seeing some nice-looking battles.

Rpgmonkey

Kyoufu said:
Well SO4 isn't even out in Europe yet. Should I not bother getting it? Haven't heard great things but I do remember seeing some nice-looking battles.

-Great gameplay.
-Poorly written story/characters.
-Quality of the dungeons fluctuate, some are perfectly fine, others are pretty terrible.

Depends if this matters to you.

And while on the subject of dungeon design: honestly I always thought tri-Ace kinda sucked at it, SO4 unfortunately just continues this. :p

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Kyoufu said:
You could wait for a price drop... or rent it like I did!

noonche

Kyoufu said:

How much did you like SO3? I feel mostly the same way about 3 as I do 4. Terrible story, characters, pacing and dungeons. Shallow, repetitive battle system. Interesting leveling and item creation mechanics. Fantastic soundtrack.

Y2Kev

alske said:
How much did you like SO3? I feel mostly the same way about 3 as I do 4. Terrible story, characters, pacing and dungeons. Shallow, repetitive battle system. Interesting leveling and item creation mechanics. Fantastic soundtrack.
See, I disagree on a few of these. Pacing? I think SO4 has so far moved me along pretty briskly with pretty much zero backtracking. SO3 has a lot of that, and it is often not so clear where you need to go or what you need to be doing, so you can get bogged down.

And I think all the blood has been squeezed from the Sakuraba stone. He's gotta take some time off.

noonche

Y2Kev said:
See, I disagree on a few of these. Pacing? I think SO4 has so far moved me along pretty briskly with pretty much zero backtracking. SO3 has a lot of that, and it is often not so clear where you need to go or what you need to be doing, so you can get bogged down.

I suppose that's true. What irritated me about SO4's pacing was how you would be in a dungeon for 2-3 hours with no chance to leave and then you'd have 1-2 hours of story. You did both things for far too long without a break to mix things up. At least give you more save points, shops, item creation stations, or something to break up the monotany of fight-fight-fight to cutscene-cutscene-cutscene.

rykomatsu

Valkyria Chronicles was basically an interview with Nonaka Ryutaro (producer for VC).

Couldn't read the scans well (blurry) but it was something like...he was really pleased with the public acceptance of VC and because of that, he doesn't want to leave it at just one title. The anime is just one of multiple ways to develop the IP further.

Top Bottom