• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: Level 5's PSP game revealed (LOLZ PSP'S NOT DEAD?)

Zeed

Banned
kenta said:
Everything outside of the anime cutscenes looks really cool and unique.
Exactly. Which is how I was fooled at first.

Now it looks like a Disney cartoon.

No that is not a good thing.

Amir0x

Banned
Whoa-ho ho, that looks damn awesome from what I can tell. And a classy SRPG from Level 5, no less. Now that's one to get for sure.

Beowvlf

Banned
duckroll said:
Yeah SCE is publishing it, even after RG's bomba! :lol
Bomba?! What the, it sold close to 400k-... Oh I see, you meant GAF bomba. Indeed you are correct then, my apologies, L5 really should be lucky anyone gives them more than 500¥ and some Pocky. :D

Cool beans on SCE publishing. Thanks.

duckroll

Some additional notes:

- Since this is a strategy RPG, that battles will still tend to be longer than a normal game, but they're trying to balance the pacing with each stage being 10-30 mins long.
- There's be about 40 or so stages with extra ones (branching? secret?), so there'll probably be at least 50 different stages in total.
- There will be over 150 characters in the game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Some additional notes:

- Since this is a strategy RPG, that battles will still tend to be longer than a normal game, but they're trying to balance the pacing with each stage being 10-30 mins long.
- There's be about 40 or so stages with extra ones (branching? secret?), so there'll probably be at least 50 different stages in total.
- There will be over 150 characters in the game.
Definitely sounds more like a NiS SRPG rather than a SRPG like SF or FE.

Heian-kyo said:
Bomba?! What the, it sold close to 400k-... Oh I see, you meant GAF bomba. Indeed you are correct then, my apologies, L5 really should be lucky anyone gives them more than 500¥ and some Pocky. :D
I'm sure he's confusing it with another game, no need to attack him.

Amir0x

Banned
also, does no one in Japan except neo own a proper ****ing scanner? Seriously, every early Fami image is from a crappy cellphone photograph or some shit

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Amir0x said:
also, does no one in Japan except neo own a proper ****ing scanner? Seriously, every early Fami image is from a crappy cellphone photograph or some shit
neo got the last one.

duckroll

jj984jj said:

Unfortunately this time he's right! I checked and Rogue Galaxy actually did much better than Dark Chronicle, so I guess SCE is happy. :D

After the sales of Brave Story and Monster Kingdom though.... I'm not sure how much chance this game has in Japan though. COME ON SONY WHY ARE YOU NOT LOCALIZING YOUR SOLID ORGINAL PSP RPGS TO THE US WHERE THEY ACTUALLY SELL?!?!

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
Unfortunately this time he's right! I checked and Rogue Galaxy actually did much better than Dark Chronicle, so I guess SCE is happy. :D

After the sales of Brave Story and Monster Kingdom though.... I'm not sure how much chance this game has in Japan though. COME ON SONY WHY ARE YOU NOT LOCALIZING YOUR SOLID ORGINAL PSP RPGS TO THE US WHERE THEY ACTUALLY SELL?!?!

Even...even better than Dark Chronicle 2? :( :(

Amir0x

Banned
duckroll said:
Dark Chronicle is Dark Cloud 2 in Japan.... Sorry for the confusion.

Wait then what was Dark Cloud 1 named?

Well, anyway... Dark Cloud 2 deserved more I say. Much more! :(

Beowvlf

Banned
jj984jj said:
Oh I didn't mean to make it seem like I was attacking him. I actually thought he was joking, since so many seem to think if a game does less than a million in Japan it's teh bomba, so I meant for my response to be in jest as well. Sorry duck, didn't mean to offend.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Zyid said:
Exactly. Which is how I was fooled at first.

Now it looks like a Disney cartoon.

No that is not a good thing.
Well anime in video games is always horrible so this is par for the course. But like I said, I think the in-game style is pretty cool and they're actually trying to spice up the gameplay which should be interesting. I'm all for this one

duckroll

Amir0x said:
Wait then what was Dark Cloud 1 named?

Well, anyway... Dark Cloud 2 deserved more I say. Much more! :(

Dark Cloud JP -> Dark Cloud US
Dark Chronicle JP -> Dark Cloud 2 US

Heian-kyo said:
Oh I didn't mean to make it seem like I was attacking him. I actually thought he was joking, since so many seem to think if a game does less than a million in Japan it's teh bomba, so I meant for my response to be in jest as well. Sorry duck, didn't mean to offend.

Oh I'm not offended. Anyone who hangs around in sales threads know I kinda suck at it anyway. :lol

demonkid666 said:
whatever happened to that game nippon ichi was supposed to announce today?

You mean the horror text-adventure game they're making in collaboration with some other company that was revealed last week and no one cares? :lol

kenta

Has no PEINS
demonkid666 said:
whatever happened to that game nippon ichi was supposed to announce today?
You mean the horror text-adventure game they're making in collaboration with some other company that was revealed last week and no one cares? :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BTW, the L5 SRPG is coming out this winter in Japan since it's 70% complete, we'll probably get it sometime early next year here.

Zeed

Banned
kenta said:
Well anime in video games is always horrible
Children of Mana's stylish intro visually blows this (and many regular anime) right out of the water. You won't see many jaw-dropping anime sequences in games, I do admit, but this is among the lowest of the low-tier. I mean, we're talking almost Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow level here.

If the gameplay is absolutely outstanding as Castlevania's was, then I can of course overlook the art. But as of now it's a turn-off for me. Three things can sell me games - crazy awesome gameplay, crazy awesome storyline, or crazy awesome artwork. Preferably some combination of the three.

The story sounds Genji-level ludicrous, and the artwork is DoS-level awful, so that leaves only one chance for redemption.

Zyid said:
Children of Mana's stylish intro visually blows this (and many regular anime) right out of the water. You won't see many jaw-dropping anime sequences in games, I do admit, but this is among the lowest of the low-tier. I mean, we're talking almost Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow level here.

If the gameplay is absolutely outstanding as Castlevania's was, then I can of course overlook the art. But as of now it's a turn-off for me. Three things can sell me games - crazy awesome gameplay, crazy awesome storyline, or crazy awesome artwork. Preferably some combination of the three.

The story sounds Genji-level ludicrous, and the artwork is DoS-level awful, so that leaves only one chance for redemption.

you're drawing a lot of conclusions from a barely legible scan.

Zeed

Banned
sugarhigh4242 said:
you're drawing a lot of conclusions from a barely legible scan.
I don't need to see the nitty gritty details of the anime to realize that the actual style sucks.

And the storyline summary has already been transcribed in text, so I don't know what you're getting at there, because those are the only two things I've complained about.

Like I said, fantastic gameplay will warrent a purchase from me. And if Level 5 delivers that, as they usually do, I'll buy it anyway. What's the problem?

duckroll

Zyid said:

Ah I see you've seen these horrible terrible anime sequence. Please tell us more. :D

They look to be done by Studio 4 Degree C who did all the celshadeded 3D FMVs for Rogue Galaxy, and they look more breathtaking than anything Square will ever do, much less on a portable.

icecream

Public Health Threat
bloke said:
Not scans but...
Oneechanbara X goodness
Thank you :D

If it's just a full priced port, then shame on them, but I'll hold out to see if perhaps they'll... do something else?

Zeed

Banned
duckroll said:
Ah I see you've seen these horrible terrible anime sequence. Please tell us more. :D
I was addressing the style they chose, of course I haven't seen it in motion.

duckroll said:
They look to be done by Studio 4 Degree C who did all the celshadeded 3D FMVs for Rogue Galaxy, and they look more breathtaking than anything Square will ever do, much less on a portable.
I'll freely admit that I'm not familiar with Studio 4, but you're clearly not familiar with the makers of the CoM intro. Square didn't do it internally - it was done by Production IG.

That is the same studio that did Ghost in the Shell 2, a finalist for the Palme D'Or award at the Cannes Film Festival, which lost only to Fahrenheit 9/11 (arugably for political reasons).

The Jeanne D'Arc style is generic and uninspired. It may animate better (we can't yet tell), but that's just about the only advantage it'd have over CoM's animation. That's my opinion, and you don't need to attack one of the finest animation studios out there over it.

Nice style or not, another game I write in my PSP 2007 list :)

Btw, X360 is getting some really japanese games...maybe there is still hope?
to catch original xbox I mean.

Btw, the RPG I mentioned earlier for X360 (tba in TGS) is just in the rumour column, don't blame me if it doesn't exist...

duckroll

Zyid said:
I was addressing the style they chose, of course I haven't seen it in motion.

I'll freely admit that I'm not familiar with Studio 4, but you're clearly not familiar with the makers of the CoM intro. Square didn't do it internally - it was done by Production IG.

That is the same studio that did Ghost in the Shell 2, a finalist for the Palme D'Or award at the Cannes Film Festival, which lost only to Fahrenheit 9/11 (arugably for political reasons).

The Jeanne D'Arc style is generic and uninspired. It may animate better (we can't yet tell), but that's just about the only advantage it'd have over CoM's animation. That's my opinion, and you don't need to attack one of the finest animation studios out there over it.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

GUYS IS ZYID TRYING TO LECTURE ME ON JAPANESE ANIME?

Zeed

Banned
duckroll said:

GUYS IS ZYID TRYING TO LECTURE ME ON JAPANESE ANIME?

YEAH EXACTLY LOL!!! :lol :lol :lol LET'S INSERT SMILIES SO WE DON'T HAVE TO WRITE A REAL RESPONSE!!! :lol :lol :lol

If you think that those Jeanne D'Arc stills are better than IG's work on CoM, and don't even have the excuse of ignorance, you simply have shitty taste and a love of the generic. What more can I say?

But we're getting way off topic here, so I won't be posting in this thread anymore. If you'd like to continue, feel free to send me a PM.

7Th

Zyid said:

No. Innocence didn't won Cannes because even if it had an amazing animation along with a great direction it's script was mostly shallow and pretentious. The climax is totally worth it, though. Besides, IG isn't equal to quality. Just look at most Blood+ episodes.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
I dunno dude, I'm just as confused as you why he thought that no one hear knew what Production IG was. :D
We all know you are only pretending to know anything about anime, stop it now.

Beowvlf

Banned
Ok, that was pretty awesome to see Zyid explain to duckroll (of all people) who IG is, considering they're, like, the most well known anime studio throughout the world, rivaled only by Ghibli. Awesome indeed. I thought the CoM sequences wasn't even done by IG's main house either, but by XEBEC or Bee Train. Am I wrong?

Anyways, 4C did the cinemas to RG? Shit man, that cements my purchase even more.

7Th

jj984jj said:
What's wrong with the anime? I like it.

With the anime? Nothing, it's good fun as most shows at that timeslot have been. I'm just talking about the animation itself. Most Blood+ are average at best in visual qualities.

duckroll said:
I dunno dude, I'm just as confused as you why he thought that no one hear knew what Production IG was. :D

I believe jj984j is talking to me. :p

duckroll

Blimblim said:
We all know you are only pretending to know anything about anime, stop it now.

Okay, I'm sorry. It's time for me to watch Care Bears now I guess. :(

Anyways, 4C did the cinemas to RG? Shit man, that cements my purchase even more.

Yeah, while the cutscenes in RG are just "really good", the FMVs are mindblowing. It's the best celshaded 3D stuff I've EVER seen, period. Appleseed = totally owned.

Beowvlf

Banned
Zyid said:
...you simply have shitty taste and a love of the generic.
While we don't know for sure if 4C are doing the cinemas for Jeanne D'Arc as well, if they are, that is easily the number one word you cannot criticize them with. Easily one of the most inventive studios in Japan today. You really should look into them.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
duckroll said:
Appleseed = totally owned.
I really disliked Appleseed's cel shading, it looked totally off to me for the characters, especially the shadowing. The rest looked very nice though.

duckroll

This is what generic looks like:

top.jpg

Yes, I went there! Come on, flamers!
:lol

duckroll

Blimblim said:
I'd agree that the character design was nothing to be proud of, but thankfully the rest of the anime was anything but subpar :)

On the contrary, the design was meant to be pretty much the definition of generic moe designs. I enjoy the show, but come on, throwing words like "generic" around is stupid just because they look like... anime characters. I mean shit, Production IG does every single one of the Tales openings too, that's pretty damn GENERIC! :lol

Beowvlf

Banned
Blimblim said:
I really disliked Appleseed's cel shading, it looked totally off to me for the characters, especially the shadowing. The rest looked very nice though.
Totally agree with you Blim. Sometimes the characters looked okay (the beginning sequence), but sometimes they looked like absolute ass (that fight against those jumpy robots).

duck just dropped the Haruhi bomb though, so this thread is gonna get real good very soon.
Not that he's wrong though, as even though I like the show, there's no argument the art is rather bland.

Top Bottom