• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Reviews this week (moneyhats can't save VP2!)

duckroll

PS2

KOF XI - 7/7/7/7 (28/40)
Gakuen Alice - 6/7/7/6 (26/40)
VP2 9/8/8/9 (34/40)
Fighting Beauty Wulong - 5/4/4/4 (17/40)
Galaxy Angel 2 - 8/7/7/7 (29/40)

PSP

Korokoro Kurun - 7/7/6/8 (28/40)

NDS

Magical Vacation 2 - 8/8/7/8 (31/40)

VP2 review tidbits: Graphics rock, combat is deep. Game is tough, not enough tutorials (haha), steep learning curve. Feels like a very well crafted product. Basically each of the four reviewers all felt the game was really hard and the learning curve was steep so it took them some time to get used to the game and they still sucked. Even moneyhats cannot save weaksauce Famitsu reviewers. Valkyrie Profile 2 wins and they lose! :lol

duckroll

Emotions said:
Duckroll post the things they say about Magical Vacation 2 please too.

No one on 2ch gives a shit about that game yet. When they do and have the review text up I'll post. :D

BluWacky

sp0rsk said:
fighting beauty wulong sounds great

It's based on one of the worst anime I've seen in a long time. But hey! Ugly female wrestlers! (if the Gakuen Alice game, which is presumably just a bunch of minigames like every other shoujo anime adaptation ever, can get 26, you know Wulong must be awful...)

VP2 is going to kick my ass; I'm even more crap at games than Famitsu reviewers (I Action Replayed my way through most of VP, I was so bad at it; juggling all the attribute points and item merging and all that was beyond me...) but I will persevere!

Besides, they probably played it for about 5 hours, didn't read the manual and were drinking sake from their Squenix moneyhats instead of actually concentrating on the game. THIS IS A PLAUSIBLE SCENARIO.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Very interesting score for VP2, it sounds like they were off-put by the learning curve. Radiata Stories had an insanely simplistic battle system and it got a 36/40

Zalasta

duckroll said:
Basically each of the four reviewers all felt the game was really hard and the learning curve was steep so it took them some time to get used to the game and they still sucked.

Eh, the original VP had some bad dungeon design where the mob strength do not match up with each other (or scale correctly). That was the most annoying thing in my experience with the game. I guess this doesn't change in the sequel.

WOO! i was worried because i assumed VP2 was gonna have a mad moneyhatter score, but with that score and that discription yay.

VP2 >>> famitsu reviews

famitsu am cry :lol

Grampasso

About VP, I have to say just that it was really difficult but it helped retaining some items instead of giving them back to Odin. Or example, in the very first of second dungeon you find an essential accessory (I don't remember the name, actually) among the treasures you can give back to Odin. Retaining that item and having it equipped on a character when he did the levelup would grant him a whopping 120 STAT POINTS instead of the crappy usal 20 points.
Thanks to the experience orb you could give spare XP to whichever character you wished, so basically you could decide when a character would level up and switch the godly accessory between the various characters, allowing each of them to gain 120 stat points per level up.
Even with this great aid some points of the game were really difficult and frustrating at times, I can't even imagine how would be without it.

Is this confusing? Yes it is, I can barely understand what I wrote :lol

Grampasso said:
About VP, I have to say just that it was really difficult
but it helped retaining some items instead of giving them back to Odin. Or example, in the very first of second dungeon you find an essential accessory (I don't remember the name, actually) among the treasures you can give back to Odin. Retaining that item and having it equipped on a character when he did the levelup would grant him a whopping 120 STAT POINTS instead of the crappy usal 20 points.
Thanks to the experience orb you could give spare XP to whichever character you wished, so basically you could decide when a character would level up and switch the godly accessory between the various characters, allowing each of them to gain 120 stat points per level up.
Even with this great aid some points of the game were really difficult and frustrating at times, I can't even imagine how would be without it.

Is this confusing? Yes it is, I can barely understand what I wrote :lol

fixed?

Danj

duckroll said:
Galaxy Angel 2 - 8/7/7/7 (29/40)

On the subject of the Galaxy Angel games, I found this at the Broccoli USA website today:

Broccoli said:
Comment Response: Galaxy Angel Game Update

SpaceDrake Says:
> Heh, speaking of Galaxy Angel…
> it’d be nice to have some news about the upcoming
> Galaxy Angel game release. Quite a few of us are
> looking forward to it. ;)

We get this via email a lot too.
So here’s what I heard from the folks in the Broccoli Japan office.

Company O still plans on releasing Galaxy Angel, but since there’s a lot of text, they’re looking for a production house that can translate the game.

I haven’t played the game (just saw the opening which Mari Iijima soundtrack), so I don’t know how much text there is. But these type of adventure games have a lot of text, I s’pose.

Of course the Galaxy Angel II game was delayed in Japan too, so that’s how it goes for Galaxy Angel.

We’d like to know how many people out there are looking forward to seeing Galaxy Angel video game being released in the US.

President Kaname has a dream of bringing more of these otaku games to the US (he has lots of friends in the moe business). He’d take a poll if he could.

So… even though we have yet to clean up the new Broccoli forum, maybe you guys can give us your input there.

This is frankly news to me, did anyone else hear that the first Galaxy Angel game was coming to the US? When did that get announced?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I`ll have to pick up Silmeria on my way to work on Thursday. I`m really excited. :D

Matt_C

Danj said:
On the subject of the Galaxy Angel games, I found this at the Broccoli USA website today:

This is frankly news to me, did anyone else hear that the first Galaxy Angel game was coming to the US? When did that get announced?

ron.jpg

All seriousness aside, there must be a games localization studio who is willing to do it on the cheap or it would be a great opportunity for the 'scene' localizers to establish a business to be an outsourced solution to localize games. It did work for the fps modding scene.

I welcome my Galaxy Angel overlords.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
duckroll said:
VP2 review tidbits: Graphics rock, combat is deep. Game is tough, not enough tutorials (haha), steep learning curve. Feels like a very well crafted product. Basically each of the four reviewers all felt the game was really hard and the learning curve was steep so it took them some time to get used to the game and they still sucked. Even moneyhats cannot save weaksauce Famitsu reviewers. Valkyrie Profile 2 wins and they lose! :lol
sounds ****ing great :D

duckroll said:
KOF XI - 7/7/7/7 (28/40)
LIARS!!!
They probably didn't even play the game, I'll bet they were all like, "Meh, its 2D, lts just give it the Dirge of Cerebus score and move on."
Bastards.

duckroll

HyperZone<3 said:
LIARS!!!
They probably didn't even play the game, I'll bet they were all like, "Meh, its 2D, lts just give it the Dirge of Cerebus score and move on."
Bastards.

No actually the reviewers loved it..... a lot. It just happened to get 7/7/7/7. Gotta love Famitsu. :p

duckroll said:
No actually the reviewers loved it..... a lot. It just happened to get 7/7/7/7. Gotta love Famitsu. :p

SNK has to have enough money to buy some hats.. they haven't spent anything on new assets since 1996

flammie

Danj said:

Broccoli USA talked about bringing over the GA games at Anime Expo 2005. They were going to be the pc versions since SCEA wouldn't allow the PS2 versions (due to them being 2d games or something).

From ANN's AX 2005 Broccoli panel report
Although Broccoli is involved in video game production in Japan, Broccoli USA will not produce or localize any video games. They have licensed out the Galaxy Angel game to another US company for localization. The “chose your own adventure” style game will feature subtitles, not an English dub, and they are hoping for it to be released next year.

ghibli99

Glad VP2 got a good score. On the topic of difficulty, well, it's one thing if a game ramps up, but if a game is deemed too hard from the get-go by the majority, you end up losing most of your audience. A small percentage of gamers end up actually seeing the rest of the game, and sure, that makes that a more exclusive experience for those players, but it sure doesn't do a whole lot of good for your bottom line (and this game looks like it cost a lot of money).

Anyway, regardless of its difficulty, I'll be looking forward to its release stateside. I certainly loved it at E3.

duckroll

ghibli99 said:
Glad VP2 got a good score. On the topic of difficulty, well, it's one thing if a game ramps up, but if a game is deemed too hard from the get-go by the majority, you end up losing most of your audience. A small percentage of gamers end up actually seeing the rest of the game, and sure, that makes that a more exclusive experience for those players, but it sure doesn't do a whole lot of good for your bottom line (and this game looks like it cost a lot of money).

Anyway, regardless of its difficulty, I'll be looking forward to its release stateside. I certainly loved it at E3.

This is VP, not Ninja Gaiden Black. :lol

duckroll

Emotions said:
Hey duckroll, did you get what they say about Magical Vacation 2 review?

Yeah, it's another lol Famitsu review. The systems are pretty standard RPG fare, they like the touchpen gameplay and find it convenient unlike Metal Saga DS because Nintendo paid them moneyhats and Success didnt. They found the game well balanced in characters, script and chapters. There's a good amount of content, and errr THIS GAME IS GREAT FOR BEGINNERS TO PLAY! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah I bet it's a failure like the first game. :p

Srider

Banned
I've played VF with some of the famitsu writers before, they are definitely not weaksauce; but as expected, they can't possibly be expected to play any game and be good at it in a few days. Saying that a game is hard doesn't mean that they don't like hard games.

Emotions

duckroll said:
Yeah, it's another lol Famitsu review. The systems are pretty standard RPG fare, they like the touchpen gameplay and find it convenient unlike Metal Saga DS because Nintendo paid them moneyhats and Success didnt. They found the game well balanced in characters, script and chapters. There's a good amount of content, and errr THIS GAME IS GREAT FOR BEGINNERS TO PLAY! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Yeah I bet it's a failure like the first game. :p

Thanks for the info :D . Glad it's being localized.
Well, seems Moneyhats didn't work for VP 2 , S-E must be pissed about it.

Rock_Man

Chromehounds (Xbox 360, Sega): 9 / 7 / 8 / 9 - (33/40)
Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage (Xbox 360, Idea Factory): 7 / 6 / 6 / 7 - (26/40)
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (Xbox 360, Ubisoft): 9 / 8 / 8 / 9 - (34/40)
Parfait: Chocolat Second Style (PS2, Alchemist): 8 / 8 / 7 / 7 - (30/40)
Tamayura (PS2, Yeti): 6 / 6 / 5 / 6 - (23/40)
SoulLink Extension (PS2, Interchannel): 7 / 7 / 6 / 6 - (26/40)
Metal Slug (PS2, SNK Playmore): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
FIFA Street 2 (PS2, EA): 8 / 7 / 6 / 7 - (28/40)
Iris no Atelier: Gran Phantasm (PS2, Gust): 8 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (32/40)
Festa!! Hyper Girls Party (PS2, Kid): 6 / 7 / 5 / 6 - (24/40)
Winback 2: Project Poseidon (PS2, Koei): 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (28/40)
Call of Duty 2: Big Red One (PS2, Konami): 8 / 8 / 7 / 8 - (31/40)
Simple 2000 Series Vol. 100 The Otokotachi no Kijyuu Houza (PS2, D3): 6 / 4 / 3 / 4 - (17/40)
Chou Dragon Ball Z (PS2, Banpresto): 8 / 8 / 7 / 8 -(31/40)
Lisa to Isshoni Dairoku Oudan: AI Ressha de Gyoukou (PSP, Idea Factory): 8 / 7 / 6 / 6 - (27/40)
Find Love: Hara Fumina - Fuari no Futaride... (PSP, Capcom): 6 / 5 / 7 / 6 - (24/40)
Gurumin (PSP, Falcom): 8 / 8 / 8 / 7 - (31/40)
Finding Nemo: Touch de Nemo (NDS, Sega): 6 / 7 / 7 / 5 - (25/40)
Atama wo Kitaete Asobu Taisen Yajirushi Puzzle: Puppynu Vector One (NDS, Megacyber): 7 / 4 / 4 / 6 - (21/40)

www.gamefront.de

Disappointed at the Spectral Force 3 low score, but I DO like AI3's score a bit, and Chromehounds aint bad either.

In the top 30 most wanted, at 30, there's another Xbox360 game. ... Anyone know what it is?

duckroll

7Th said:
Decent score for Gurumin PSP... anyone has some decent impressions on the game?

If there's nothing wrong with the port technically, then it's a good game. The graphics are charming, great music, cute characters, fun gameplay. It's nothing groundbreaking but it's a fun action packed dungeon-focused action RPG.

jGuru

Forza's and psycho_snakes official soccer ball-washer
duckroll said:
VP2&#12288;9/8/8/9 (34/40)

Magical Vacation 2&#12288;- 8/8/7/8 (31/40)

Wow, Famitsu is acting tough
, or are they?

I buying both anyway.

Top Bottom