• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Scores (Viewtiful Joe)

Viewtiful Joe Battle Carnival [Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble] (GC, Capcom): 8 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Urban Reign (PS2, Namco): 9 / 8 / 8 / 8 - (33/40)
Nizu no Senritsu (PS2, Kid): 6 / 6 / 6 / 6 - (24/40)
Richard Burns Rally (PS2, Kids Station): 8 / 6 / 7 / 5 - (26/40)
NBA Street Showdown (PSP, EA): 7 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (30/40)
Guilty Gear XX #Reload (PSP, Sega): 7 / 8 / 8 / 9 - (32/40)
Gallery Fake (PSP, Bandai): 8 / 7 / 7 / 7 - (29/40)
Densha de Go! Pocket: Yamate-Sen-Hen (PSP, Taito): 6 / 7 / 8 / 8 - (29/40)
Pinball (PSP, Hudson): 5 / 5 / 6 / 6 - (22/40)
Touch Game Party (NDS, Taito): 5 / 6 / 7 / 7 - (25/40)

http://www.gamefront.de

That's actually pretty low for VJ: Red Hot Rumble. But when you consider that a 29/40 is composed of 8's and 7's that's not too bad.

This is the same game the PSP is getting, right?

Bring on the real Viewtiful Joe Scratch on the DS please. I was never really interested in the idea of a VJ fighting game.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
DCharlie said:
okay - didn't this get shitty scores in the US mags?

From gamerankings.com:

GameSpot: 6.6 out of 10 - 66.0%

Gamespy: 3.5 out of 5 - 70.0%

PSM Magazine: 6 out of 10 - 60.0%

Electronic Gaming Monthly: 5.33 out of 10 - 53.3%

Official Playstation Magazine: 3.5 out of 5 - 70.0%

GamePro: 3 out of 5 - 60.0%

1UP: 3.5 out of 10 - 35.0%

BonusStage: 7.6 out of 10 - 76.0%

Cheat Code Central: 3.25 out of 5 - 65.0%

Mihail

Banned
soundwave05 said:
This is the same game the PSP is getting, right?

Bring on the real Viewtiful Joe Scratch on the DS please. I was never really interested in the idea of a VJ fighting game.

Wow, I feel totally opposite. Every since playing the beauty that is the first one, I've been thinking "They've got to come up with a way to make this competative."

ToyMachine228 said:
That's actually pretty low for VJ: Red Hot Rumble. But when you consider that a 29/40 is composed of 8's and 7's that's not too bad.
Last I checked, for a japanese game to get below a 30 in Famitsu it means it's trash.

Amir0x

Banned
Mihail said:
Wow, I feel totally opposite. Every since playing the beauty that is the first one, I've been thinking "They've got to come up with a way to make this competative."

Why the heck would you feel that? cooperative, sure. Competitive? That doesn't even make sense, honestly. The game never lent itself to that, especially with the moves Joe/Sylvia had (fast forward, zoom in, etc...). From day one it was a stupid idea.

Mihail

Banned
Amir0x said:
Why the heck would you feel that? cooperative, sure. Competitive? That doesn't even make sense, honestly. The game never lent itself to that, especially with the moves Joe/Sylvia had (fast forward, zoom in, etc...). From day one it was a stupid idea.
Cooperative seems like the bad idea, since you would end up screwing your partner over when using VFX powers at inappropriate moments.

But competitive is all about screwing up your opponent.

Amir0x

Banned
Mihail said:
Cooperative seems like the bad idea, since you would end up screwing your partner over when using VFX powers at inappropriate moments.

But competitive is all about screwing up your opponent.

Cooperative would perhaps be on split screens, each having its own independent screen effect. Perhaps the screens would combine when you synchronize certain moves at the same time for ultra effects.

Competitive is the stupidest crap ever for this type of game. Not that Red Hot Rumble is bad - Famitsu's review scores are about as shitty as they come - but it's a dumb idea. A very dumb one.

Mihail

Banned
Amir0x said:
Competitive is the stupidest crap ever for this type of game. Not that Red Hot Rumble is bad - Famitsu's review scores are about as shitty as they come - but it's a dumb idea. A very dumb one.
I'm sorry if you had a hard childhood but take that flaming to IGN or GameFAQs or something. The idea is a great one. A very great one. See? That sort of posting doesn't work too well.

I think the idea is awesome because they're (I hope) taking all the awesome combos possible in the single player game and applying them against human AI. But, hey, I haven't played it, so I hope the execution is there as well.

Amir0x

Banned
Mihail said:
I'm sorry if you had a hard childhood but take that flaming to IGN or GameFAQs or something. The idea is a great one. A very great one. See? That sort of posting doesn't work too well.

I see now that your title is fitting in completely unintentional ways.

Mihail said:
I think the idea is awesome because they're (I hope) taking all the awesome combos possible in the single player game and applying them against human AI. But, hey, I haven't played it, so I hope the execution is there as well.

As a game, it never lent itself to it. It had very 'scenario' specific moves that effect a player and world, and would entirely screw up the flow of any serious fighting game. How anyone could play it and think 'man, this would so totally own as a fighting game' is beyond me. Especially if you've ever actually played a fighting game in your life. Because its gameplay is so adverse to that idea. Well, whatever. We'll see how mediocre it is in the coming months, I'm sure.

Mihail

Banned
Amir0x said:
How anyone could play it and think 'man, this would so totally own as a fighting game' is beyond me.

With me, it happened with the more complex bosses like Fire Leo, and especially like Captain Blue. The great thing about the final battle with Captain Blue was that he fought using moves that he has as a playable character, so anything you did, like dodge his hits, jump over him, evade his lighting attacks, counter with your own attacks, are things that could have been done to a human.

The main difference is that the game is, of course, pattern based. That's what got me amped for competitive modes. Knowing which attacks and powers to use would become a psychological question, as it always does in good fighting games.

Amir0x

Banned
Mihail said:
With me, it happened with the more complex bosses like Fire Leo, and especially like Captain Blue. The great thing about the final battle with Captain Blue was that he fought using moves that he has as a playable character, so anything you did, like dodge his hits, jump over him, evade his lighting attacks, counter with your own attacks, are things that could have been done to a human.

The main difference is that the game is, of course, pattern based. That's what got me amped for competitive modes. Knowing which attacks and powers to use would become a psychological question, as it always does in good fighting games.

But the moves Joe or Sylvia use to dodge, counter, to recognize the pattern and exploit weaknesses are adverse to competitive play. They would grind any sort of fighting game to an absolute halt, break the flow and/or be incredibly awkward. The 'central' aspect of these Joe games are the movie-like moves, fast forward, slow motion, zoom in, etc... none of them work in this form of play. Not without serious concessions, anyway.

We'll just have to wait and see how it is. I don't think it's going to be any good. Famitsu apparently agrees, but then again... they suck.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It doesn't need to be a serious fighting game to be enjoyable. Doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but that doesn't mean it can't be a decent title.

There have been plenty of "semi-fighters" that worked out very well. Smash Brothers, for instance, is very popular and well made.

Heck, maybe they took a look at Powerstone or something when making the game. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
It doesn't need to be a serious fighting game to be enjoyable. Doesn't seem like a great idea to me, but that doesn't mean it can't be a decent title.

There have been plenty of "semi-fighters" that worked out very well. Smash Brothers, for instance, is very popular and well made.

Heck, maybe they took a look at Powerstone or something when making the game. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

Of course! Wow, thanks Mr. Obvious :p

I'm just saying that taking Viewtiful Joe and turning it into a competitive fighting game is not a good idea, because the gameplay never lent itself to that. Because if you change so much, it's not really Joe anymore. It's basically just skins and a title.

dark10x said:

You've opened a can of worms and I hope the fish don't come a knockin. I wish you luck, comrade.

Bebpo

Banned
I'll be picking up VJ for work but I don't have much faith in it. While it's true semi-fighters/party-fighters can be fun games at times, I just can't see how the slow-motion/fast-forward commands will work in multiplayer. Its the same reason why I didn't think VJ2 Co-op would've worked before they cut it.

I mean if you're doing a jump kick at an enemy and then someone elsewhere hits FF and suddenly messes up your timing you'd think you would get pretty annoyed if it kept happening. Same thing with slow-motion. The idea that you'll never know when the game speed might change on the fly seems like it would kill the game IMO. But we'll see...

Ironclad

The arguements against Red Hot Rumble are valid ones. Unless the VFX moves are toned down to an incredible point, the games flow will be disrupted. As a semi-fighter, this game could work to a certain extent but as I mentioned before, the moves will have to be toned down. The VFX Slow and Mach Speed will not be able to affect the overall play field as much as they would in a normal VJ game. I'll still be picking it up when it comes out over here, if only for a SSB-esque experience.

Udde

"Richard Burns Rally (PS2, Kids Station): 8 / 6 / 7 / 5 - (26/40)"

sometimeswrong.gif

Bebpo

Banned
Ironclad_Ninja said:
The arguements against Red Hot Rumble are valid ones. Unless the VFX moves are toned down to an incredible point, the games flow will be disrupted. As a semi-fighter, this game could work to a certain extent but as I mentioned before, the moves will have to be toned down. The VFX Slow and Mach Speed will not be able to affect the overall play field as much as they would in a normal VJ game. I'll still be picking it up when it comes out over here, if only for a SSB-esque experience.

Spent some time with it. Early thoughts are that they pulled it off and everything works just right. Best thing about the game and the number one saving factor is that it's not really a fighter at all. The game is like one of those competitive party games where you can mess up the other players and steal from them while trying to go for the goal yourself. Also the boss fights are :)

Matlock

Banned
DCharlie said:
okay - didn't this get shitty scores in the US mags?

Almost universally, yes. It seems that unfair fights, a poorly done story mode, and lack of co-op doesn't make a good beat 'em up.

Top Bottom