• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Top 100, 2015 {2014.12.29 - 2015.12.27}

SarusGray

Interesting. Well, there's evidence enough for stronger performance and digital adoption than the other two (who's sales have all around appeared poor, with DQH even doing badly on steam). Its just a surprising result in terms of retail (known) to digital, unless the NIS store/collectors edition amount to a very large share of the sales (moreso than I'd expect or is usual, anyway).

Good for them in that case.

I'm surprised DQH did bad on PS4 AND Steam myself.

Also some interesting number for Disgaea 5's sale progress in Japan, this was five months ago.
55D34B473E7664000E

This shows the data shop numbers five months ago in Japan.

Why not PS4 AND NX? Japan clearly loves Nintendo and if the NX console is more enticing to Japanese gamers than Wii U, it could very well help grow the market in Japan, along with PS4. I would also expect Japanese third-parties to be a much easier grab for Nintendo than western developers.

What I'm worried about is already how hard of a sell consoles are in that specific area. I'm hoping NX reinvigorates the console market. Otherwise it is indeed death.

Vena

I'm surprised DQH did bad on PS4 AND Steam myself.

Also some interesting number for Disgaea 5's sale progress in Japan, this was five months ago.

This shows the data shop numbers five months ago in Japan.

As I don't know Korean, its hard for me to know what that shows or says. (Also please put it in quotes to save page space, and not destroy the layout.)

SarusGray

As I don't know Korean, its hard for me to know what that shows or says. (Also please put it in quotes to save page space, and not destroy the layout.)

These are number of players uploaded play records.

Basically the same data I listed on regarding Disgaea 5 in NA. 40,000 is the amount of registered players in Japan apparently. And I can't read korean either, this is source from another player.

Since I don't have access to JPN Disgaea 5, this is the data I found so far that lists the most recent number.

Splatoon at #1.

1m+ copies sold.

What a time to be alive.

um Splatoon is clearly #4 :p

anyway:
92. [PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance # <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.03.26} (¥7.776) - 34.429
Famitsu also has this for digital sales:
24.[PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance - 33,713 | Retail: 29,742; Digital: 3,971

so total is about 38400, which is a little more than the shop numbers at the same point in time

k I guess it works out

SarusGray

um Splatoon is clearly #4 :p

anyway:
92. [PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance # <SLG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2015.03.26} (¥7.776) - 34.429
Famitsu also has this for digital sales:
24.[PS4] Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance - 33,713 | Retail: 29,742; Digital: 3,971

so total is about 38400, which is a little more than the shop numbers at the same point in time

k I guess it works out

thanks for that data, it helps a lot.

Vena

Ya seems like it checks out, a surprising result but it is what it is and its hard to argue with everything put forward.

Pinky

Banned
What I'm worried about is already how hard of a sell consoles are in that specific area. I'm hoping NX reinvigorates the console market. Otherwise it is indeed death.

Consoles are a difficult sale in Japan, no doubt. PS4 seems to have found a steady flow of adoption in the region and should get better when you look at what's coming. It's not stellar, but it's something. My hope is NX offers something that Japanese gamers really want. Wii U clearly failed to have an impact. Nintendo's NX launch must be strong right out of the gate. Come out swinging and give us the goods.

Datschge

Why not PS4 AND NX? Japan clearly loves Nintendo and if the NX console is more enticing to Japanese gamers than Wii U, it could very well help grow the market in Japan, along with PS4. I would also expect Japanese third-parties to be a much easier grab for Nintendo than western developers.
Third party efforts in Japan are currently any combination of PS3, PS4 and Vita, and as of last year PS4 went away with the least sales most often. Nintendo platforms tend to get dedicated releases most often, and those have been sparse outside of Nintendo/Pokemon published games and "Nintendo audience" games, leaving mainly Level 5 games and Monster Hunter, and those are on a handheld. The industry already backed itself into the wrong corner with the Wii, currently they scramble making it work with more focus on multiplatform releases (adding Steam into the mix in the West) but Nintendo platforms are usually still excluded. I don't really expect that to change with NX.

However if Nintendo plays its cards right with making NX an unified development environment targeting both handheld and home console form factor at an adequate power level, sell plenty of home consoles in the West and dominate the Japanese market with its handheld as usual, that may encourage Japanese developers to develop for NX and release the result on home console in the West and on handheld in Japan, effectively bridging the current form factor disparity between the markets.

Oregano

Third party efforts in Japan are currently any combination of PS3, PS4 and Vita, and as of last year PS4 went away with the least sales most often. Nintendo platforms tend to get dedicated releases most often, and those have been sparse outside of Nintendo/Pokemon published games and "Nintendo audience" games, leaving mainly Level 5 games and Monster Hunter, and those are on a handheld. The industry already backed itself into the wrong corner with the Wii, currently they scramble making it work with more focus on multiplatform releases (adding Steam into the mix in the West) but Nintendo platforms are usually still excluded. I don't really expect that to change with NX.

However if Nintendo plays its cards right with making NX an unified development environment targeting both handheld and home console form factor at an adequate power level, sell plenty of home consoles in the West and dominate the Japanese market with its handheld as usual, that may encourage Japanese developers to develop for NX and release the result on home console in the West and on handheld in Japan, effectively bridging the current form factor disparity between the markets.

Pretty much summed my thoughts up.

Pinky

Banned

Makes sense. Assuming the rumors are true, I do believe a unified development environment between console and handheld will be a huge factor. It will allow developers to design one game that works across both platforms. Then, depending on a gamer's playing preference, they can choose the console version or the handheld version. The only thing not guaranteed or known is whether outside developers will be required to build their games to run across both SKUs. If the development environment is unified, it really shouldn't matter much, but both the console and handheld would have to share similiar input/control methods if we're given the option to play the same game on two different devices.

gamerMan

It looks like the console market is dead in Japan, but it's amazing how terrible PS4 software is doing in Japan. When Nintendo software is dominating the charts that is pretty telling. It's obvious that the PS4 lineup is more appealing to western audiences.

Oddly, the games on the Japanese chart lineup more with my interests. Just looking at the November NPD in the States it was dominated by shooters and sports games, which to me have lost their luster as those genres are starting to feel stale.

Datschge

Makes sense. Assuming the rumors are true, I do believe a unified development environment between console and handheld will be a huge factor. It will allow developers to design one game that works across both platforms. Then, depending on a gamer's playing preference, they can choose the console version or the handheld version. The only thing not guaranteed or known is whether outside developers will be required to build their games to run across both SKUs. If the development environment is unified, it really shouldn't matter much, but both the console and handheld would have to share similiar input/control methods if we're given the option to play the same game on two different devices.
I doubt Nintendo will make "universal binaries" obligatory. It may well end up like I wrote before, the same game is only released on console in the West and only on handheld in Japan. From what Iwata said in the past the focus of NX appears to be to have a unified development environment so (Nintendo's) resources no longer need to be split between all the platforms Nintendo "actively" "supports" at any give time, and that new hardware revisions no longer reset the software library. Just like iOS. And just like in iOS I'd expect developers to first only target specific form factors but eventually changing to "universal apps" due to customer expectations. We'll have to see how Nintendo handles the details, but I'd hope for compatibility reasons that with NX (bluetooth enabled) accessories will be supported on all form factors even in cases where the combination may seem inane. On the other hand we can see how Apple deviates from that policy again since the introduction of Apple Watch and Apple TV 4, so who knows how far Nintendo will go (and how many fundamental design mistakes they make this time around).

Data shop lists 70k+ people who've registered on the Disgaea Servers NA on the game. It doesn't include europe or japan. It is basically the internal analytics in the actual game. There is a menu option that shows how many unique IDs have played the game. It was around 50k since launch and now its 70k.

How can we access these data?

Famitsu:

Nov 29th, 2015:

[3DS] 7th Dragon III Code: VFD <RPG> (Sega) {2015.10.15} (¥6.469) - 96.121
[3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe <ACT> (Sega) {2015.05.28} (¥5.378) - 63.540
[3DS] Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale <RPG> (Marvelous) {2015.06.18} (¥6.458) - 73.346
[3DS] The Legend of Legacy <RPG> (FuRyu) {2015.01.22} (¥6.458) - 74.139
[3DS] Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village DX <ETC> (Capcom) {2015.09.10} (¥4.309) - 104.186

Dec 27th, 2015:

[3DS] 7th Dragon III Code: VFD <RPG> (Sega) {2015.10.15} (¥6.469) - 98.275
[3DS] Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai Deluxe <ACT> (Sega) {2015.05.28} (¥5.378) - 67.021
[3DS] Return to PoPoLoCrois: A Story of Seasons Fairytale <RPG> (Marvelous) {2015.06.18} (¥6.458) - 74.910
[3DS] The Legend of Legacy <RPG> (FuRyu) {2015.01.22} (¥6.458) - 74.363
[3DS] Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airu Village DX <ETC> (Capcom) {2015.09.10} (¥4.309) - 112.317

These are what all above did in Dec since that Nov chart was released.

Interesting numbers.

Top Bottom