• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Xbox 360 rates Lost Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Space A Cobra said:
Ha, Rumble Roses XX scored higher than Virtua Fighter 5.

And deservedly so.

Hey White Man, have you and Drinky thought about forming a professional windmill-tilting tag team, or is your wisdom's steady golden trickle a purely philanthropic outpouring?

sh4mike

>> Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom (Xbox 360, Microsoft): 7 / 8 / 6 / 6 - (27/40)

Disappointing. This is a sad day.

White Man

ItsInMyVeins said:
To be honest, I was already checking up on BD, but all the screens I've seen seem kind of mundane and boring. How does it compare to, say, DQVIII? That was a good game. And very behind, speaking of mechanics.

BD starts off a bit dry, and I don't think it gets really good until 3-4ish hours in. I mean, it's good up until then, but it gets gradually better and better. By the end of the first disc, most people seem to be totally into it.

Compared to DQ8, they are definitely comparable due to their old schoolness. BD gets the gameplay crown for introducing its neato class system really early in the game. I also found BD more engaging from a story perspective. I liked BD better all around; I'm a pretty big DQ fan, but DQ8 didn't grip me as much as previous entries, though it's been a year since I played so I don't feel that comfortable trying to enumerate reasons.

Consequently, towards the end of disc 2 and beginning of disc 3, BD is very reminiscent of DQ7. You find yourself in a situation where you are going from town to town, freeing each town of its specific curse. Yeah, yeah, it's a pretty general task for an RPG, but BD has a very DQ vibe to it to begin with.

Kyoufu said:
I hope it'll be good but wow, Sakaguchi really did play it safe with the game mechanics.

To be fair I think that's the only way development of Lost Odyssey could be approached, if it was released on another system (PS2/PS3/PSP/DS) they could have taken much more risk.

Kyoufu

Opus Angelorum said:
To be fair I think that's the only way development of Lost Odyssey could be approached, if it was released on another system (PS2/PS3/PSP/DS) they could have taken much more risk.

Thats true. I have to agree with 1up Yours when they say MS told Sakaguchi to create a version of DQ and FF for the 360.

Kyoufu said:
Thats true. I have to agree with 1up Yours when they say MS told Sakaguchi to create a version of DQ and FF for the 360.

Yeah it was a great observation.

I don't actually think FFXIII (on the Xbox 360) would be anywhere near as popular as it would be on other systems.

Opus Angelorum said:
What in gods name do you play them for, to learn Japanese?
Immersion, story, feeling of being on a great adventure with a soundtrack.

If I wanted a great battle system, I'd play a strategy game or something that's straight up action.

Edit: I wasn't thinking of the equipment and skills of the characters are "game mechanics" so much, so I guess that came out wrong.

madara

Green Shinobi said:

If I wanted a great battle system, I'd play a strategy game or something that's straight up action.

Edit: I wasn't thinking of the equipment and skills of the characters are "game mechanics" so much, so I guess that came out wrong.

Okay I can see half your point there. I to am one of the rare few that actually plays an rpg for settings, character charm and story. But lets face it if you have something as hot as the Grandia battle system it really lowers the repetitiousness of rpg combat and monotony of other rpg traits.

madara said:
Okay I can see half your point there. I to am one of the rare few that actually plays an rpg for settings, character charm and story. But lets face it if you have something as hot as the Grandia battle system it really lowers the repetitiousness of rpg combat and monotony of other rpg traits.
Yeah, that's true. I just don't think you need to rate a game down because its battle system isn't the latest, greatest thing. Two of my favorite rpgs ever are Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI, and those battle systems aren't too complex.

Kyoufu

Green Shinobi said:

It seems that you are unaware that immersion, story and the feeling of adventure with a soundtrack are all standard features of an RPG.

As for battle systems, go play FFXII, Tales of Destiny, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Shadow Hearts: Covenant then come back and talk to me. By your post I take it you have very little experience with the genre. Battle systems play a huge part in the genre today as we're no longer living in the 16-32bit generations anymore.

orio7

Banned
The battle system matters. It's what you spend 90% of the time with. If you're just in it for the story you might as well read a book or watch a movie. A JRPG is still a game so how it plays is very important.

MCD

The battle system here isn't just "Fight", you have these ring things...something similar to Shadow Hearts.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Green Shinobi said:

Just what the duktor ordered, Tabris2.

Opus Angelorum said:
What in gods name do you play them for, to learn Japanese?

To be fair, I can understand why he said that. The problem with JRPGs, or at least the popular ones, is that once you figure out the best combination of attack/defense/etc., you can exploit it to no end and do the same thing over and over. As for me, I play solely for the story, atmosphere, and music. Other then that, I can care less if the battle system has all these naunces where I can score an extra +10 damage if I use the proper timing.

LO has me excited. Blue Dragon, to me, lived up to what it was hyped as. I'm hoping LO delivers.

MCD

The old 2006 demo? well, it's old and i watched the videos thanks to BlimBlim (gamersyde).

as for the new demo, yeah i know nothing of it.

all i remember is that there something ring shaped during battles, i don't know the full details, don't wanna get spoiled much, sorry.

jj984jj said:
Just what the duktor ordered, Tabris2.
You're misunderstanding my post.

As long as there's some depth to how you equip your characters for battle, how they learn magic and techniques, proper item usage, etc, I couldn't care less if the battle system is still turn-based like in an old Final Fantasy game. I don't need to advance my character to a certain point on a grid, time button presses for extra damage, etc. That's all I meant.

And I can admit that Xenogears only pretended to tell a good story. After disc 1, the story went to shit. So I'm not like Tabris.

Wow, who the hell ever thought LO had a chance of BD? It has far less pedigree behind it, a much less interesting art style, doesn't have an accompanying anime/manga series as far as I know, and comes out long after the hype of a "New Studio from the creator of FF" has worn off. LO will sell nowhere near as well as Blue Dragon did in Japan.

typhonsentra said:
Wow, who the hell ever thought LO had a chance of BD? It has far less pedigree behind it, a much less interesting art style, doesn't have an accompanying anime/manga series as far as I know, and comes out long after the hype of a "New Studio from the creator of FF" has worn off. LO will sell nowhere near as well as Blue Dragon did in Japan.

But it'll sell 10 times as much as BD here in America.

B-Ri

Subarushian said:
But it'll sell 10 times as much as BD here in America.

and why would that be?

Ill continue waiting on more reviews and more videos of it, but if it continues looking too traditional like BD ill skip this one too.

madara

B-Ri said:
and why would that be?
Because somehow we currently live in gaming industry where todays gamers say uncanny valley, dark bleak colors and using a gun are adult games. Anything colorful, charming, joyful, artistic in style is for kids now. Somehow erasing 20 years of video gaming history since playstation/xbox era hit.

Bebpo

Banned
madara said:
Because somehow we currently live in gaming industry where todays gamers say uncanny valley, dark bleak colors and using a gun are adult games. Anything colorful, charming, joyful, artistic in style is for kids now. Somehow erasing 20 years of video gaming history since playstation/xbox era hit.

Pretty much, and it's lame but what can you do? If Devs want money they gotta make what j6p wants to buy even if he's an idiot.

Skilletor

Kyoufu said:
Lost Odyssey had no chance ever of being perfect. I hope it'll be good but wow, Sakaguchi really did play it safe with the game mechanics.

I don't have a problem with the score. I'll wait until I hear more/see more before I pass judgement. Just saying that unless a game is 9/10 or the equivalent around these parts, usually results in threads like this.

Hunahan

Banned
Blue Dragon was fucking great. Whiteman's on top of things there.

Honestly, the review response to BD had to be one of the most backwards things I've ever seen in all my years of reading that kind of junk. It made me firmly realize that either:

a) reviewers no longer appreciate jrpgs, like jrpgs, or actually want to play jrpgs (which anyone who listens to podcasts can at least attest represents a significant majority of reviewers either way)

or

b) reviewers are playing jrpgs for such polar and complete opposite reasons that I am that they we are no longer able to carry on a discussion about them or their quality.

Point B gains a lot of credence after also watching their subsequent favorable reaction to Eternal Sonata, which I may claim to be one of the worst JRPGs I've played in years. It's also the one that's probably a little less wholly finger-pointing of the two, which is usually a better way to phrase things.

Anyways, I'll definitely try out LO. Until Sakaguchi really screws me over personally on a game, I'll probably stick with him either way, actually.

Would be nice to get the associated text, however.

Hunahan said:
Blue Dragon was fucking great. Whiteman's on top of things there.

Honestly, the review response to BD had to be one of the most backwards things I've ever seen in all my years of reading that kind of junk. It made me firmly realize that either:

a) reviewers no longer appreciate jrpgs, like jrpgs, or actually want to play jrpgs (which anyone who listens to podcasts can at least attest represents a significant majority of reviewers either way)

or

b) reviewers are playing jrpgs for such polar and complete opposite reasons that I am that they we are no longer able to carry on a discussion about them or their quality.

Point B gains a lot of credence after also watching their subsequent favorable reaction to Eternal Sonata, which I may claim to be one of the worst JRPGs I've played in years. It's also the one that's probably a little less wholly finger-pointing of the two, which is usually a better way to phrase things.

Anyways, I'll definitely try out LO. Until Sakaguchi really screws me over personally on a game, I'll probably stick with him either way, actually.

Would be nice to get the associated text, however.

Couldn't have said any of that better myself.

Kyoufu

McDragon said:
The battle system here isn't just "Fight", you have these ring things...something similar to Shadow Hearts.

:lol

No, Shadow Hearts actually REQUIRED you to press the button in the correct areas of the ring for each hit to connect. Lost Odyssey's ring is just basically FFVIII's gunblade critical attack thingy.

Kyoufu said:
:lol

No, Shadow Hearts actually REQUIRED you to press the button in the correct areas of the ring for each hit to connect. Lost Odyssey's ring is just basically FFVIII's gunblade critical attack thingy.

maybe there's more!

:D ??

MCD

Like i said, i don't know the full details on that one, and it reminded me of SH when i saw it.

sorry if it's not the same.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
shadow hearts battle system was shite. Im not a big fan of timing 'rings' for turn based games, Im actually disappointed the gooch put that crap in LO.

Dali

Bebpo said:
Pretty much, and it's lame but what can you do? If Devs want money they gotta make what j6p wants to buy even if he's an idiot.

Nintendo disagrees. They have a fun Mario game for every genre and day of the week. They still seem to embrace fun over realism and that's one idea Nintendo subscribes to that I can endorse. Mario Golf, Tennis, Soccer, etc. may not by a really accurate portrayal of those sports, but neither was 2020 Baseball or Mutant League Football. It occurred to me that that's how things used to be. You wanted a fun skateboard game, you got T&C Surf Designs. Now it seems like you've got to be using a video game representation of a real person and have real-world physics and locales to have fun, right. Personally I'd rather have a Gorilla on a surf board. /rant

My interest in this has been waning since the first big showing of this with the battle that began cg and then became realtime. The character designs never grabbed me like Toriyama's stuff and it looks like random encounters are included for everything except bosses or story moving events. This alone makes me hope it fails, just to send a message to Japanese developers.

TheJollyCorner said:
well, to be realistic here, CRY ON, a game designed to make the gamer cry every 15 minutes, has me wary. :D

I'm still patiently awaiting what Sakaguchi promised a few years ago when Mistwalker was first announced: THE RETURN OF YOSHITAKA AMANO*!

*on full-time character designs, not just PR image designs, as he does with FF now.

MUST HAPPEN

rpgfan16k

Didn't DOA Volleyball 2 score higher than this? :lol

EDIT: Just to demonstrate that I'm not trying to become the exemplum for all the new juniors on how to break the new Banned Meme clause (and get banned in a flash), didn't we already determine that FAMI reviews are worthless? There's just no way this game is as bad as DOA Xtreme 2. Not a chance.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
timing rings is a superficial system put on top of a 'tried and true' turn based battle system. I dont see any point for the Judgment Ring.

while playing SH2 I asked myself "ok what does the Judgment Ring brings to the table aside from slowing combat down?" it was hard to come up with a decent answer for that. remove the timing based mini game that is the Judgment Ring from SH2 and you have at its core a Dragon Quest style turn based battle system. after the 50th battle, the battle system in SH2 for me wasnt fun, it was tedious.

Xelinis

According to Famitsu:

- Long unnecessary cutscenes.
- Framerate issues.
- Kaim have an annoying personality comparable to Shu.
- Loading takes awhile, especially before combat begins.
- Characters wait a few second then go head on and attack.
- Too easy
- Lack of strategy
- Some dialogue makes the story a bit cheesy.

Xelinis said:
According to Famitsu:

- Long unnecessary cutscenes.
- Framerate issues.
- Kaim have an annoying personality comparable to Shu.
- Loading takes awhile, especially before combat begins.
- Characters wait a few second then go head on and attack.
- Too easy
- Lack of strategy
- Some dialogue makes the story a bit cheesy.

Did they have any good things to say about the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom