• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fanatec Beta Test Gentlemen, start your voting!

paskowitz

Roughly six hours to go...

We need more.
smiths.jpg

mclaren777

Now that the application phase is over, it's time to chose a winner. We're going to run this like the NeoGAF photography challenges but with a subtle tweak (you only get one vote).

Please read through the choices below and then make your selection known.

cRm41.png

bee
• Platforms and specs: PC only (2500k@4.5GHz, GTX 680, 3 x LG W2363D monitors)
• Current or previous gear: G25 with modded pedals (Nixim brake mod, Bodnar cable)
• Real life experience: Numerous trackdays in various cars
• Games and sims: LFS, iRacing, netKar Pro, rFactor, GTR2/Evolution, pCARS
• Previous reviews: Nothing of significance
• Personal statement: "Don't have any published reviews or anything like that to show, although i can write i just choose not to bother about capitals, apostrophes etc when on forum."
Link to Application

Jibbed
• Platforms and specs: PC only (2600k, GTX 560Ti, one 24" monitor)
• Current or previous gear: Previously owned Microsoft Xbox 360 wheel
• Real life experience: 12 years of karting with 300 laps of Formula Ford and Clio Cup
• Games and sims: rFactor and Project CARS
• Previous reviews: Nothing of significance apart from a gaming channel on Youtube
• Personal statement: "I'd easily have the time to do so and would try to produce something professional, but I don't have anything to show for it if I'm honest."
Link to Application

Nick_GTL
• Platforms and specs: 3 PS3s and PC (i7-3930k, GTX 680, three monitors)
• Current or previous gear: Logitech G27 + Wheelstand Pro (DFGT and Microsoft Wireless Wheel)
• Real life experience: Nothing mentioned
• Games and sims: GT5, F1 2011, Dirt 3
• Previous reviews: Nothing mentioned
• Personal statement: "I know I would keep the wheel so I would be spending $605 which is not bad considering normally it would be $1210 + shipping + tax"
Link to Application

Yoritomo
• Platforms and specs: PS3 and PC (2500k + 580 SLI + Triple Monitor)
• Current or previous gear: Fanatec PWTS and Clubsport pedals (G25 and DFGT)
• Real life experience: 240SX around Texas World Speedway
• Games and sims: GT5, Richard Burns Rally, GTR2, rFactor 2 Beta, pCARS, iRacing, netKar Pro, LFS
• Previous reviews: Highlighted issues with the steering in Forza 4
• Personal statement: "I would approach the review from a very technical standpoint and try and incorporate data from David Tuckers "iRacing force feedback test" as well as subjective impressions from the array of racing games I own (I'd make sure to devote a decent amount of time to GT5)."
Link to Application

Yoritomo

The $440 deposit is probably a bit of a barrier to entry for this one. I had to clear it with the wife after all.

Not only that but anyone who doesn't already have pedals would have to plop down even more. Even if it is half off a $500+ deposit is nothing to sneeze at.

So then it becomes people who are primarily PC sim racers, have $500 to spare, are willing to take or even have the time to write a thorough review, and are familiar enough with fanatec that this interests them.

If I end up being picked I'll make sure it's worth everyone's while. If I'm not picked, that's cool, I'm still excited to see impressions about the wheel, and will have a list of questions about the wheel. (motor size, components, static torque at the wheel rim, comparisons based on david tucker's wheel tool, find if there's any cogging at different force settins, look for belt slippage at high settings, rim weight of each rim, materials, compatibility, etc etc.) I'm slightly worried that if I get picked my review will be far too long and technical. That and having a cadre of photography equipment it'll be loaded with pictures of every component I can locate, photograph, and document.

SmokyDave

I really appreciate the heads-up but there are far, far better qualified people than I to take a crack at this. Best of luck to whoever is chosen!

My vote goes to Yoritomo, purely because I've read more of his posts than the other guys.

1-D_FTW

The $440 deposit is probably a bit of a barrier to entry for this one. I had to clear it with the wife after all.

Not only that but anyone who doesn't already have pedals would have to plop down even more. Even if it is half off a $500+ deposit is nothing to sneeze at.

So then it becomes people who are primarily PC sim racers, have $500 to spare, are willing to take or even have the time to write a thorough review, and are familiar enough with fanatec that this interests them.

If I end up being picked I'll make sure it's worth everyone's while. If I'm not picked, that's cool, I'm still excited to see impressions about the wheel, and will have a list of questions about the wheel. (motor size, components, static torque at the wheel rim, comparisons based on david tucker's wheel tool, find if there's any cogging at different force settins, look for belt slippage at high settings, rim weight of each rim, materials, compatibility, etc etc.) I'm slightly worried that if I get picked my review will be far too long and technical. That and having a cadre of photography equipment it'll be loaded with pictures of every component I can locate, photograph, and document.

And this is why you get my pick. I really like Bee's contribution's to PC gaf, but I'm taking all emotion out of the choice and picking who I think can give the nerdiest review:)

Sethos

Banned
Also appreciate the PM mclaren but my entire capital for the next few months are earmarked for my upcoming PC build.

Is there anyone who, if they were picked, is NOT anticipating keeping the wheel after the test period is over? I want the winner to get a sick wheel for half off. That's my most important criteria.

1-D_FTW

Is there anyone who, if they were picked, is NOT anticipating keeping the wheel after the test period is over? I want the winner get a sick wheel for half off. That's my most important criteria.

Which is a good point. Because Bee clearly mentioned he had the money ear-marked for the Thrustmaster RS (which implies he has intentions of keeping it). It seems like a huge waste for the reviewer to send this back (assuming they really like it). So if Yoritomo has no intention of keeping it, I'd prefer to know and recast my vote to Bee.

Yoritomo

Is there anyone who, if they were picked, is NOT anticipating keeping the wheel after the test period is over? I want the winner get a sick wheel for half off. That's my most important criteria.

I'll definitely keep it if it meets with my expectations, but I'm trying to go in without bias. I want to actually review the thing and not just do a PR fluff piece about how awesome it is. I think anyone who is considering spending more than $700+ on a racing wheel deserves every detail they can get their hands on and an open evaluation of the product.

I'll definitely keep it if it meets with my expectations, but I'm trying to go in without bias. I want to actually review the thing and not just do a PR fluff piece about how awesome it is. I think anyone who is considering spending more than $700+ on a racing wheel deserves every detail they can get their hands on and an open evaluation of the product.

Good, good.

Yeah, obviously don't keep it if you don't like it enough! Just give GAF first dibs on your PWTS :p I look forward to your review.

Yoritomo gets my vote. He provided some amazing feedback in the Forza 4 thread. This is his calling. Do not let the world down.

Sorry to the others, I just don't know you.

Yoritomo

I also promise not to somehow get banned before the review goes out. After I'm done with the review all bets are off.

paskowitz

I am a Community Test Manager on the US PS Boards. Fanatec stated to all the CTMs like me and mclaren, that above all else, the reviewer must be HONEST! Fanatec does not want ANY connection to the selection of the reviews other than selecting the CTMs. They want to completely vet this product before it is released.

This is why I voted for Yorimoto. The other candidates are all well qualified, but in my opinion I feel he will produce the most thorough and unbiased review.

Also, whether someone is keep the product should not really influence your vote. This is really not about who "deserves" the product the most, but who is the best evaluator of the product. Keeping it holds very little bearing on this.

Also, if money is a problem, sell some shit. I got rid of all my paintball gear and some other odds and ends and I came up with $458 in like a week. This takes most of the sting out.

bee

oh ye i'd definitely keep it although i can hardly see me winning as i only post in pc threads, it's the main reason i signed up if i'm honest, stupidly high end/priced wheel for 50% off, no brainer really. actually been looking for a second hand t500rs but doesn't really seem worth it for the price they go for, will just buy a brand new one for £330 if i dont win

paskowitz

oh ye i'd definitely keep it although i can hardly see me winning as i only post in pc threads, it's the main reason i signed up if i'm honest, stupidly high end/priced wheel for 50% off, no brainer really. actually been looking for a second hand t500rs but doesn't really seem worth it for the price they go for, will just buy a brand new one for £330 if i dont win

The only reason I got my T500RS was because I found one for $381USD ($290Euro). For that price it was worth it.

mclaren777

Is there anyone who, if they were picked, is NOT anticipating keeping the wheel after the test period is over?

I recently decided to test this wheel platform but I doubt I'll keep it unless it really blows my G27 out of the water. I'll also be getting the Clubsport pedals, which I might actually keep if the load cell impresses me.

And before anybody asks, no, I won't sell the hardware at a discounted price.

spicy cho

Considering the size and exposure that this forum receives, Fanatec could perhaps be persuaded to have two testers. Yori for his highly detailed nitty gritty technical review, and perhaps someone doing a 15-20 minute video review from a consumer perspective. We could find the Jeremy Clarkson of sim wheel reviewers. I'd be down to do that.

paskowitz

Considering the size and exposure that this forum receives, Fanatec could perhaps be persuaded to have two testers. Yori for his highly detailed nitty gritty technical review, and perhaps someone doing a 15-20 minute video review from a consumer perspective. We could find the Jeremy Clarkson of sim wheel reviewers. I'd be down to do that.

I am a tester as well. So we will have mclaren, the winner of this poll, and me.

spicy cho

I am a tester as well. So we will have mclaren, the winner of this poll, and me.

Hoping one of you does a video, it would be great to have someone do race footage, pointing things out in person. It really does add a lot to reviews, I never buy things based on text/pics alone (not that this is in my price range at msrp). I'd really love to see that kind of coverage as there aren't many people doing it, just Isr and a couple others. Had I known more than one tester would be given a chance I definitely would have applied, great news all the same and congrats!

Niks

Hoping one of you does a video, it would be great to have someone do race footage, pointing things out in person. It really does add a lot to reviews, I never buy things based on text/pics alone (not that this is in my price range at msrp). I'd really love to see that kind of coverage as there aren't many people doing it, just Isr and a couple others. Had I known more than one tester would be given a chance I definitely would have applied, great news all the same and congrats!

This outside my range but Im looking forward to impressions, looks great.

mclaren777

How much longer should we leave the voting portion open?

Current Standings
6 – Yoritomo
1 – Nick_GTL
0 – Jibbed
0 – bee

1-D_FTW

Don't dump the reviews in one of these threads, just start a new one when the embargo is lifted and you guys are ready to roll.

parski

I'll buy one if you make a Nintendo 64 version. Mario Kart 64 would be on a whole new level of awesome.

Also I vote for Yoritomo.

Yoritomo

Looks like the CSP v2 will be up for testing as well. If they're reverse-able like the more recent CSR pedals then I might try em.

Yoritomo

Hooray. I'm excited.

Just ordered a fish scale for torque measurements. Gonna fab up some stuff for testing.

I guess I'll be playing sims non-stop when I get the wheel so if anyone wants to add me I'm yoritomo79 on steam and PSN.

I guess everything else gets taken care of via PM.

Yoritomo

Production has started so it's only a matter of time now. :)

inKNQrBTUAriN.jpg

If anyone needs questions answered about anything that can be tested but the CSR pedals and v2 table clamp I'd be happy to address questions in the review.

And no limitations on how technical the question might be.

paskowitz

http://www.911wheel.de/?q=node/8489

Next week the last of the community testers will receive their wheels so that the testing period can start. I wanted to give all testers at least 2 weeks for testing so that means that the embargo date of the Clubsport wheel and rims as well as the Clubsport Pedals V2 will end on June 29th at 13.00 German time.

By that time we also expect that the first shipments of production units arrive in the USA and EU by air shipment. We will make a special launch offer but I will release more information about that as soon as the wheels are on the way so it is 100% sure that they arrive in time.

Top Bottom