• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fanatec experience - post your opinion here

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Hi Gaff,
Been Interested in a Fanatec setup for some time.
Assetto Corsa, GT7 maybe even iRacing will be my main racing staples.

Unfortunately, they are currently out of stock of certain bundles and/or components. Which lead me to the forums where I was blown away for all the wrong reasons. It appears as though Fanatec has a deluge of issues at present from supply, reliability, poor customer service, UPS overcharging on customs charges, warranties you name it.
For a £1,000 layout for a wheel combo this news is very disconcerting.

Are any of you using a Fanatec setup? In particular the DD Pro? How has reliability been for you? And customer service?
GT7 FFB is supposed to be very underwhelming when compared against AC, not Fanatec issue I’m sure but it’s not what you want to hear on kit like this.

There’s no excuse for poor support especially on such exotic kit.

Are Moza worth a look at when they add console compatibility?

Hopefully these are just isolated instances.
Thanks in advance.

drotahorror

I had the csl elite ps4 base with csl wheel, pedals and load cell brake, along with the shifter. All were great quality minus the plastic quick release. Pedals were too stiff for my liking. I also thought the shifter in sequential mode was too stiff. Worked great in 6 speed mode though. Either way I thought everything worked great but I ended up selling it before the csl dd came out as the time was right and I basically got all my money back. That and it was way too cumbersome for me to lug out when wanting to play.

As a plug and play experience it was pretty great though. It's nice being able to hook everything up to the base provided it's all part of the fanatec ecosystem. In the future if I can ever get a full cockpit I would likely go with other parts. Maybe I would go fanatec base and rim but that's it.

But for ps5 only I would 100% just go with fanatec.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Buddy got this thing.
I think it's dd2 ?
Anyway - The thing is strong enough to break your fingers lol.
You can feel everything happening on the road in a good game and "if set correctly" you can really feel the car steering limits, tension and so on.
It's not for me, I don't care for sim racing but I can ask him some questions if you have any specific?

One thing for sure, the damn thing is a mess of a software. Fantatec is having a lot of beta branches and do not update main software as often as betas.
And it's for sure not for me also because the amount of settings makes me want to die. Assetto corsa custom launcher, wheel settings, podium settings... everything is separated and might or might not play together. I think he said that Forza crashes or straight up does not work with the wheel. But Fanatec fixed it since microsoft didn't do anything.
But the guy is really happy and impressed with it. I am just impressed with sheer strength to twist your arms in beamng lol. That game got no dampening.

Also, He was using it with lg 48" c1 but switched recently to 3x165hz nano ips lg monitors. Nvidia surround is a hassle but the effect is impressive.
edit: He replaced PSU at least once since it was very noisy. But Fanatec support is good

nKc0dU7.jpg

D7MruCc.jpg

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
I've been using Fanatec equipment for over 10 years and really haven't had a bad experience. Currently, I have the DD2, 5 rims, Clubsport V3 pedals, shifter, and Handbrake. I did have a shifter go bad as it would register the wrong gear so I bought another one after 4 years of use, but other than that their hardware is pretty good. Their stuff is plug and play and is easy to use. The rims aren't that expensive especially if you compare to other companies and they have a huge selection. They recently released new firmware that really made the driving experience much better so you could complain that should have came out sooner. I never contacted support so I'm not sure how they are. They are a big company that has a lot of sales so more chances to get negative opinions vs others as well.

I would like to play GT7 but the consoles FFB is just not on par with PC racing sims that I rather have the better feeling while driving. Hopefully GT7 will come out on PC so that would be good but I wonder if they would touch up the FFB for the release.

Rac3r

I'm a GT DD Pro user. I also upgraded to the ClubSport V3 pedals and Boost Kit. I play GT7 and ACC and couldn't be happier with my setup. My only complaint about Fanatec is that they overcharge on smaller accessories. For example, the 8nm boost kit is $150 and it's literally just a power adapter. The $20 brake performance kit (just a set of small springs) isn't included with the $400 clubsport pedals that I bought. The quick release adapter costs $100, etc.

I can't comment on customs because I live in the US and everything I got was shipped out of California; but their customer service/communication has been good from what I've experienced. No reliability issues either.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Thank you for the comments above. The setups so people have a jaw dropping. You really can take these rigs has far as you want, well with more options on PC anywho.

Rac3r Rac3r yeah the accessories are a piss take. That $150 8nm power adapter should be in the box or at least 1/3 of the price. There are YouTube videos showing you how to buy at just that, by using a 3rd party option. You can bet you would void your warranty though.

When the DD Pro bundle is back in stock I’ll jump in. You never know Fanatec may hold Black Friday deals, but if they can’t meet demand now they won’t on BF.

Top Bottom