• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fanduel and Draftkings have been banned in Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

The Nevada Gaming Control Board has said unlicensed daily fantasy sports inside the state must cease and desist as of Thursday, according to media reports. In a notice to licensees, the board stated that daily fantasy sports (DFS) meets the definition of a game or gambling game.

"Moreover, because DFS involves wagering on the collective performance of individuals participating in sporting events, under current law, regulation and approvals, in order to lawfully expose DFS for play within the State of Nevada, a person must possess a license to operate a sports pool issued by the Nevada Gaming Commission," according to a statement.

The announcement comes one day after reports emerged that the Department of Justice and the FBI have launched an investigation into the legality of daily sports operators. FBI agents from the Boston office had reportedly started contacting customers of DraftKings, asking them about their interactions with the company, the Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday.

The investigators were reportedly trying to determine whether daily fantasy sports games are a form of gambling. But DFS operators, such as DraftKings and FanDuel, have insisted they offer a game of skill, which makes it legal under terms of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006. The act prohibits financial companies from transferring money to online gambling sites, but games of skill are exempt.

http://www.ibtimes.com/nevada-banning-fantasy-sports-after-draftkings-fanduel-scandal-daily-fantasy-gambling-2143167

Curious to see how ESPN handles this.

I am completely ignorant about this stuff so excuse my asking: did the Internet basically make gambling legal across the US? Why do the NFL and MLB associate themselves with these companies?

Tobor

I am completely ignorant about this stuff so excuse my asking: did the Internet basically make gambling legal across the US? Why do the NFL and MLB associate themselves with these companies?

Actually, gambling on the Internet is illegal. However, there is a loophole in the 2006 federal law banning Internet gambling that specifically exempts fantasy sports sites. The result is these sites have transformed into gambling sites raking in billions of dollars.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

I feel like this is going to crash so hard. It always had the feel of something that regulators couldn't catch up to and it blew up. I can't even imagine how many people are blowing their life savings on this shit.

entremet

I feel like this is going to crash so hard. It always had the feel of something that regulators couldn't catch up to and it blew up. I can't even imagine how many people are blowing their life savings on this shit.

I would agree, but it's funny how lotteries are fine. Although the ceiling of damage is lower.

Still sad seeing seniors lying up to play lotto games in the morning.

People poured millions into PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker, and Absolute Poker too. lel

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Oh no, now what will middle-aged frat boys with no job or "Guy who calls into sports radio show" do for money/fun?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I would agree, but it's funny how lotteries are fine. Although the ceiling of damage is lower.

Still sad seeing seniors lying up to play lotto games in the morning.

mmm I remember working at a store one summer and seeing this. They'd plunk down hundreds of dollars and maybe hit once on the 3 digit boxed and win $40.

It's funny watching the gov't keep scrambling to squash these things all the time. It's clearly something people like and want to do. Just get your taxes and move on.

YoungHav

Banned
I don't follow sports. Am I better off spending $30 a week on lotto tix/scratch cards or signing up with this and betting on random teams/players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom