• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 Gameplay E3 2014

It feels weird being able to somewhat understand foreign dialect in games.

Weiiiiiiiiiiird.

So, the main character is not a Gurkha.

:/

I hope Ajay is infinitely more tolerable than Jason Brody.

Wiktor

Looks awesome. Loved FC3 and this looks like a nice upgrade. This video made me tempted to reinstall FC2 or FC3 :D

Nizz

I just hope this game runs at a solid 30fps at least. I skipped FC3 on PS3 because it ran terribly from what I heard on this forum.

nOoblet16

Man the parts where the soldiers were speaking in Hindi sounded very funny to me, they were far too polite in their conversation yet they were using swear words. Basically the flow was not natural and I do not understand why that happens even when they get native speakers to write and voice the dialogues. Probably because they just ask them to record few different lines and then just put them together to form some sort of conversation.
This looks extremely similar to FC3.

Ajay Ghale, the only white native guy of his country.
You do realise Indians come in all colour and features right? The guy looks like a light skinned North Indian and if he's Kashmiri then it's not normal for them to have dark skin. Kashmiri people can be pretty much indistinct from Europeans sometimes since they can have blonde hair too, and all Kashmiri are fair skinned. Plus people thought the villain was a white guy when he obviously isn't. Basically non Europeans can have fair skin too.

Faith

Man the parts where the soldiers were speaking in Hindi sounded very funny to me, they were far too polite in their conversation yet they were using swear words. Basically the flow was not natural and I do not understand why that happens even when they get native speakers to write and voice the dialogues. Probably because they just ask them to record few different lines and then just put them together to form some sort of conversation.
Really? I didn't notice it. But probably because I didn't understand a single word.

Short: 99% of the gamers don't care :p

nOoblet16

Really? I didn't notice it. But probably because I didn't understand a single word.

Short: 99% of the gamers don't care :p

That's why I said "to me"
People obviously don't care but because I can understand it, it sounded wrong to me. What I was trying to say is that if they can hire native writers and speakers to do these dialogues then why can't they implement the dialogues properly?

I suppose it's the same with other languages in games as well.

Braag

That's why I said "to me"
People obviously don't care but because I can understand it, it sounded wrong to me. What I was trying to say is that if they can hire native writers and speakers to do these dialogues then why can't they implement the dialogues properly?

I suppose it's the same with other languages in games as well.

It isn't just in this game though, as you said. In pretty much any game where they speak something else than English, they sound weird and off even though they hire native voice actors/writes.
My Russian friend says in pretty much every game he has played where there are Russians the voice actors sound kinda "off" and the writing on the walls or signs is basically gibberish with Russian alphabet.
In Battlefield 3 they were in Iran and same thing there, my friend said all the voice actors were clearly Persian but they sounded kinda "off" and again a lot of the writing around the city was gibberish.
Majority of players wont notice it so they don't put much effort into it :/

Rivitur

Banned
That fake playing on stage though.

Since the video was out before they showed it the whole time I was thinking to myself what the hell are those guys with the controllers really doing.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow, I'm pretty impressed by that gameplay video. I'm a total sucker for scale and it looks like they knocked it out of the park with the vertical focus. That wing glider part looked fucking fantastic.

Striek

Easily the most impressive gameplay demonstration of E3. Well, if we don't count No Man's Sky since they didn't pretend to be playing it.

daninthemix

Do I need to watch it to confirm my suspicion that it shows nothing more than a non-interactive cutscene involving an unpredictable psychopath killing someone?

Monocle

The gameplay looks good. I like the idea of increased verticality. Also, elephants!

Yeah but I like the new guy better. Vaas felt, I don't know, contrived? Not sure what the deal was but he never worked for me as a character.

Looks fantastic, and I'm absolutely stoked for the game.

Minor nitpick: I wish the environments had more trees. The overall scenery looks so realistic, except for the fact that trees are so sparse. Next gen can certainly handle far more vegetation.

I think this has been the most exciting game at E3 for me. There are some bigger reveals, but they all felt way too distant to get that exciting about. This game I will get to play this year, and it looks amazing. It also helps that I have played through FC3 twice and absolutely loved it.

More wingsuit + amazing new setting + coop!!!! So excited.

ReaperXL7

It's ridiculous isn't it. People all amped up to be negative without even seeing the footage. Game looks awesome, haters gonna hate.

Gaf has become far too negative about everything at this point, I think it gets actively worse by the day.

E3 has been pretty great so far imo, and this is just one of the many games announced that I can't wait to play.

As someone who has never played a Far Cry game, this totally piqued my interest but it being Ubi makes me only the slightest bit nervous. Will wait on reviews, but hot damn if this doesn't look good.

riflen

Even though this is UbiSoft, I'll put money on this being very close to final game we'll get, certainly for PC/PS4/XBoxOne.
The development time remaining, together with various small details from the footage, like the particular kind of fade-in for environmental detail that the Dunia engine employs (clearly visible at 0:51), suggest to me this is a real game running on target hardware.

Top Bottom