• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 6 is running 4k on One X & Series X, No Information on other consoles at this time

I’m not seeing the controversy here one x is more powerful then pro and has had a resolution edge. Series x is more powerful then the PlayStation 5 so it should have a resolution edge. It’s accurate one x on last gen and series x on next gen should have those respective advantages unless people really think that ssd was going to make up the difference.

FranXico

I’m not seeing the controversy here one x is more powerful then pro and has had a resolution edge. Series x is more powerful then the PlayStation 5 so it should have a resolution edge. It’s accurate one x on last gen and series x on next gen should have those respective advantages unless people really think that ssd was going to make up the difference.
It's a cross-gen game, surely they lower settings on the PS5 version (between One X and Series X settings) to have it run at 4K. If the OneX GPU can push 4K, so can the PS5 GPU.
The SSD has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Pure speculation here but im assuming if this is even true, that xbox has marketing right to FC6, and will be at their show next week. Phil's flip flopping and bad news tour since yesterday has forced them to announce this early and i wouldnt be surprised if this was something Xbox was defining as one of their "Mic drop moments." We'll see.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup.

Mid gen refresh. Medium settings
X = 4k
Pro = 1440p or 1800p CB

New gen. Higher settings
SeX = 4k
PS5 = 1440p or 1800p CB

Maybe X1X can do 4k with *current gen* assets and settings but the PS5 may not be able to do 4k with *next gen* assets and settings.So they lowered res and kept next gen assets
It’s really that simple but people have been caught up in all the marketing shenanigans. So when reality sets in I imagine will be like this one Cr digital foundry starts doing comparisons this holiday.

oldergamer

Marketing deals have gone a long way.

You think that before even considering this could come down to a performance difference between the two consoles ( which should be evident based on specs alone) There is no way MS paid Ubisoft to make the game a lower resolution on PS5. Is this the " lazy developers" bullshit for 2020-2026?

You know that would have to be the dumbest marketing dollars ever spent. Simply put, if they had a goal of 60fps on both platforms, they do whatever is needed to reach that on each.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Man, Phil Kumbaiya statements don't hold firm when you see stuff like this, I'll admit. 4K 60fps on the Series X only woulda been fine. People may have questioned whether the PS5 was capable. I think they messed up including the X1X.

It has to be a marketing deal, and a pretty pointless one at that.

EDIT: Foot in mouth, a wild new theory has appeared.

Last edited:

Stuart360

8k on PS5 confirmed?......j/k.

I bet its 4k on the OneX becaue the OneX version in just the current gen assets and effects etc, while the next gen version has added stuff like better textures, lighting, maybe ray tracing, and XSX is the only console that can run that version at 4k.

DrDamn

Maybe X1X can do 4k with *current gen* assets and settings but the PS5 may not be able to do 4k with *next gen* assets and settings.So they lowered res and kept next gen assets

Nope, X1X isn't doing 4K Ultra HD any more, according the UbisoftSupport Twitter (which is hella definitive) they have corrected it to X1 (OG) and XSX.

Hey there! As stated on the banner, Far Cry 6 is 4K Ultra HD on Xbox One and Xbox Series X only. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

FranXico

You think that before even considering this could come down to a performance difference between the two consoles ( which should be evident based on specs alone) There is no way MS paid Ubisoft to make the game a lower resolution on PS5. Is this the " lazy developers" bullshit for 2020-2026?

You know that would have to be the dumbest marketing dollars ever spent. Simply put, if they had a goal of 60fps on both platforms, they do whatever is needed to reach that on each.
A previous gen console runs the game at 4K, but not a console that has a better GPU regardless. Ok.

LordOfChaos

It's a cross-gen game, surely they lower settings on the PS5 version (between One X and Series X settings) to have it run at 4K. If the OneX GPU can push 4K, so can the PS5 GPU.
The SSD has nothing to do with it.

Xbox One X would be running the essentially the same game designed around the Xbox One at 4K, while the PS5 is running the next gen enhancements, textures, lighting etc, and may come somewhat under. I assume, if this is true.

This is actually proof positive that the half gen refreshes used their extra GPU power on more pixels too early rather than doing things that enhance the game in other ways.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I still have no clue what they mean. That tweet didn't clarify anything, only make things more confusing.

So they're saying that on the Xbox One (current-gen) it will run at 4K as well as the Series X (next-gen) version but somehow the PS5 version wont? How does that make any sense? Can platformholders now buy resolution rights? What utter nonsense is this now? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

REE Machine

Banned
Ass Creed on PC is way more cpu dependant than Far Cry. I understand Ass Creed being 30fps, but i'll be surprised if Far Cry is 30fps.
If next gen is pushing 4K like I know they will, open world games I dont see being 60fps potentially even if its "last gen" I hope it is though, more games need performance mode options honestly. Id choose 1440 with 60fps over 4k 30 anyday

FranXico

Xbox One X would be running the essentially the same game designed around the Xbox One at 4K, while the PS5 is running the next gen enhancements, textures, lighting etc, and may come somewhat under. I assume, if this is true.

This is actually proof positive that the half gen refreshes used their extra GPU power on more pixels too early rather than doing things that enhance the game in other ways.
Effects in addition to other settings can (and probably are) toned down. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't be able to do so while keeping resolution.

REE Machine

Banned
I still have no clue what they mean. That tweet didn't clarify anything, only make things more confusing.

So they're saying that on the Xbox One (current-gen) it will run at 4K as well as the Series X (next-gen) version but somehow the PS5 version wont? How does that make any sense? Can platformholders now buy resolution rights? What utter nonsense is this now? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Journalist: Sir whats 4K Ultra HD?
PR Person: Yes

You have to be really be trying to be obtuse to not understand them saying current gen version with current gen assets will have a resolution on one x which has been the norm. And next gen version with next gen assets will have a resolution advantage on series x.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ubisoft: allow me to clear this up.
Ubisoft: Adds confusion

Obviously this someone doesn't know what he is talking about.
Xbox One does not have power to run anything at 4k.

Probably some hired PR guy who thinks 4k is TV sticker.

Its worded terrible but I think they may be referring to the 'X' model of both generations. Like it's 4k on xbox series x and xbox one x.

Actually thats exactly what it says

Xbox one x > Ps4 Pro
Xbox series x > PS5

Thats expected, no?

Yams

They probably could, but that would be a controversy of its own if the PS5 was downgraded graphically versus the Series X. I'd personally take lower resolution over lowered effects. It does seem strange though.

Top Bottom