• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FarCry wasn't visually realistic enough, apparently.

Gigglepoo

I just wish they would use their extra money to hire more programmers. Far Cry had a quite lame second half. I would rather the sequel be an actual good title rather than just pretty.

Azih said:
Hyper Realism is just as valid a style choice as cell shading or pastel painted backgrounds or whatever. Diversity is good and this is one aspect of it.

I agree that diversity is good and that hyper-realism has its place in grand scheme of things, but really, for every sylistically unique game we get there's a dozen that hype their realism.

I'm not speaking for the gameplay in any way, but it does start to get boring.

Bah! Farcry (and Crysis too for that matter) are just long tech demos. The engine is all kinds of sweet but the game itself is very mediocre.
I just hope that the new engine gets picked up by more developers that can make use of the impressive technical capabilities of the engine and make something worth playing.

Just to comment on one-hit-kills in Goldeneye, that was an incredibly fun way to continue playing an excellent game. The play mode was based on relatively short, objective-based levels, meaning getting through them was supposed to be the source of the challenge. As such, making it harder and harder for yourself to get through them only added to the fun. The simpler play modes gave you plenty of life and ammo, and few enemies and objectives. The harder difficulties switched this around, and 007 mode was a paragon of rewarding design in letting you structure the challenge for yourself.

I loved setting it to one-hit-kill both ways, because Goldeneye as a whole was designed to really put you into the character of Bond, and one-hit-kill forced you to see the whole scenario as a total emergency, and really enter the role of a 00 agent. You could even get away with being shot, from time to time.

I think the games I love most are the ones which enable me to act. Anyone who's done mushrooms (or played Goldeneye a shitload) will confirm that realism doesn't have to come from graphics, although it doesn't really hurt either.

As an aside, Far Cry was stylised and cartoonish, although primarily in relation to characters. The whole thing was deliberately plasticky, and could have been cel-shaded to similar effect. It's a complex issue to accurately resolve though, and obviously I don't hold the final word.

Also, as Warcock said, Crytek going in this direction merely breaks new ground for everyone. It's fair enough to lament poor design being brilliantly realised, of course, but sooner or later someone gets an idea worth having, and we all benefit.

Top Bottom