• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Farpoint/PSVR Aim |OT| Survivors Keep Shooting

Currently at 70 on Metacritic but 8.3 on user reviews - looks like the people actually paying the cash to play the game are enjoying it a lot more than the reviewers.

MattAces

Alright, the moment that really clicked for me in Farpoint was in the circle arena place fighting a bunch of creatures. I was strafing everywhere, completely lost track of my current body orientation and just switching gun firing non stop. What an experience.

Currently at 70 on Metacritic but 8.3 on user reviews - looks like the people actually paying the cash to play the game are enjoying it a lot more than the reviewers.

Reviews feel so clinical these days. I get that Farpoint is short, simplistic and light on features compared to other traditional FPS titles, which is reflected in the scores.

But on the flip side it's tense, thrilling, exhilarating and creates a level of immersion like so very little before it. Not to mention the superb integration of the Aim Controller. All these add up to FUN - something that doesn't seem to count for very much with some publications.

Finished single player

What is that ending meant to mean!?!? Very perplexed by it.

Great game. Had a blast - I'm not the biggest FPS fan but playing this in VR was amazing - just gave it so much depth and there's nothing like a sniper laser sight like it is in VR. I'll do my review soon after checking out the other modes. Got lost in the game and played it for hours til completion. About 6 hours maybe?

Loved the sniper rifle. Once I got that, that's all I used. I found the aim on the exploding rounds weapon a bit tricky

Beautiful graphics, fun gameplay. Haven't been this rapt in a game in awhile. Actually wish there was more game and would have loved it if there was more DLC. One thing I did note was that because they did try to work the game around you not having to turn (well, I didn't activate the turning), that it was a bit of a some what lineal tunnel - I guess that was a design decision to limit 180, more sideway turns to limit motion sicknes

Story
Some idiot in here spoilt the daughter reveal but I still enjoyed the quite extended cutscene that told about the love between the two stranded scientists. I wonder what the ending is? She runs into the light and then he flys into the wormhole and sees them but they haven't aged - when they should have been 50+. Is it because he dreamt it all?

About a 8/10 for me. Amazing technology that elevates a rather atypical FPS into something else. Hard to play a normal 2D FPS after this I think. You just don't have that sense of immersion. Hiding behind cover while the plate metal goes red and the pinging rain of bullets? Amazing.

I was getting cocky after I picked up the shotgun, and even felt the game might be too easy. Hadn't come anywhere close to dying, so I'm just strutting around an alien planet squishing bugs like they're nothing. It wasn't long after that I got to the point where the designers said "this is where you start to get killed." I don't think it's especially difficult, but they do seem to all of a sudden ask much more of you.

It seems that people experience an 8/10 or 9/10, but if reviewers give a better score in a game that without VR and aim controller is actually a 7/10, it will be unfair for a future big fps that deserve 9/10 even in a non VR mode.

So I agree with reviewers even if the whole experience in the package is better than many 7/10 fps out there.

The good news is that VR+aim controller can make us enjoy way more a 7/10 game.

Does anyone still have issues with their headsets video and audio cutting out in PS4 PRo? Oddly it happens to me more with certain games. Farpoint does this all the time, but I played Summer Lesson for about as long and it didn't happen once.

panda-zebra

Does anyone still have issues with their headsets video and audio cutting out in PS4 PRo? Oddly it happens to me more with certain games. Farpoint does this all the time, but I played Summer Lesson for about as long and it didn't happen once.

Didn't happen to me the day I got it , played maybe 3 or 4 hours. This morning though, the screen went black and headset audio lost, had to reboot. Got 3 more flashes of blackness and audio missing, only momentary though.

Really jarring when it happens, all sensory input vanishing just isn't pleasant.

I forgot about this but yeah it happened today. Had to reboot the PSVR

MattAces

Dick Wilde with the aim is the most fun VR game I've every played.

The tracking is actually better than Farpoint. Too bad the iron sight is not useful because of how fast enemies are approaching, Really wish they would use the holographic sight like Farpoint.
I've been playing sooooo much Dick Wilde, this might be the first VR game I'm actually addicted to.

The tracking is actually better than Farpoint. Too bad the iron sight is not useful because of how fast enemies are approaching, Really wish they would use the holographic sight like Farpoint.
I've been playing sooooo much Dick Wilde, this might be the first VR game I'm actually addicted to.

I checked out the trailer and wasn't too impressed; but these impressions are starting to sway me.

Hey, so no one wants to discuss farpoint's story?

Maligna

Banned
I checked out the trailer and wasn't too impressed; but these impressions are starting to sway me.

I thought the cut scenes, especially when you are in the shoes off the characters are super effective.

Especially the scene where the two are out under the stars and he's breaking the bad news about their situation to her. She's looking into your eyes and crying... Gah. Really effective.

I was overall very impressed with the performances and animation.

audio_delay

Neo Member
Just started to play this title. What I noticed is, that using cameras to track motion controllers aren't that great. After a while i noted that the tracking goes off, not the tip of the led, but the rest of the aim controller itself. Maybe they should have included an additional led on the opposite side/backend, to keep it aligned in game, similar to the hmd itself.
Other than that I find that farpoint and aim justified my investment in psvr. Cannot wait to experience all the upcoming aim compatible titles in action.

Just to add something, during my first session, i did experience nausea and it was mainly caused by strafing. Having some air blowing around and talking/sining to myself actually help alot.

Maligna

Banned
Just started to play this title. What I noticed is, that using cameras to track motion controllers aren't that great. After a while i noted that the tracking goes off, not the tip of the led, but the rest of the aim controller itself. Maybe they should have included an additional led on the opposite side/backend, to keep it aligned in game, similar to the hmd itself.
Other than that I find that farpoint and aim justified my investment in psvr. Cannot wait to experience all the upcoming aim compatible titles in action.

Just to add something, during my first session, i did experience nausea and it was mainly caused by strafing. Having some air blowing around and talking/sining to myself actually help alot.

When that starts happening try putting the controller down on a flat surface for a moment and then pick it up again.

Alternatively sometimes you can hold it in front of you and rotate it to each of it's sides, holding it in place for a moment each time.

Can you theoretically use the PSVR Aim controller with ps3 light gun games? since Move hardware is the only variable and is functional with the ps3 eye cam ofc.

Freeman76

The game is nothing special on any level, its the controller and the feeling it provides that has people losing their shit.

My advice is wait until its a bit cheaper, I returned it as I felt the game was boring apart from the novelty of using the gun, which will wear off fast and there will be little else to use it for.

Its a superb piece of kit and hopefully some devs will make some engaging games for it, and by then it will be a lot cheaper. I can see why the reviews settled around 70, its not because those people "never paid for it" its because the peripheral didnt make them giddy enough to ignore the fact that the game itself is a bit boring after 2 missions.

TentPole

The game is nothing special on any level, its the controller and the feeling it provides that has people losing their shit.

My advice is wait until its a bit cheaper, I returned it as I felt the game was boring apart from the novelty of using the gun, which will wear off fast and there will be little else to use it for.

Its a superb piece of kit and hopefully some devs will make some engaging games for it, and by then it will be a lot cheaper. I can see why the reviews settled around 70, its not because those people "never paid for it" its because the peripheral didnt make them giddy enough to ignore the fact that the game itself is a bit boring after 2 missions.

Pretty sure they were talking about Dick Wilde

DukeBobby

Hmm, not really enjoying the late game combat with
the aliens
. My choice of weapons isn't helping matters either. They move around too quickly to hit accurately with the Precision rifle, and the Plasma rifle may be one of the most useless weapons I've ever used in a FPS.

Also, the night time setting makes it difficult to make out enemies in the distance.

Maybe I just need to git gud.

Im with you, I dont understand the ending. Other than that I thought it was a decent plot, enjoyed the characters.

I thought the cut scenes, especially when you are in the shoes off the characters are super effective.

Especially the scene where the two are out under the stars and he's breaking the bad news about their situation to her. She's looking into your eyes and crying... Gah. Really effective.

I was overall very impressed with the performances and animation.

re: ending
I wonder if he dreamt it all??

Grinchy

Banned
Hmm, not really enjoying the late game combat with
the aliens
. My choice of weapons isn't helping matters either. They move around too quickly to hit accurately with the Precision rifle, and the Plasma rifle may be one of the most useless weapons I've ever used in a FPS.

Also, the night time setting makes it difficult to make out enemies in the distance.

Maybe I just need to git gud.

The plasma rifle was my least favorite gun in the game. I felt that when the shield was up, vision was obscured. On top of that, enemies are shooting you, so their blasts are hitting your shield, making your vision even more obscured. Then you are trying to aim at like 5 pixels in the distance that are moving around quickly while you can't even see. Kinda useless.

I just always kept my regular assault rifle and mostly the precision rifle. The shotgun is kinda useless in that world b/c everything is far away, moving quickly, flying, ect. The only place where you'd have to "git gud" is in using the amazing precision rifle. Pop 3 shots, hit reload, immediately switch to your other gun for a kill or two, switch back with the precision rifle fully loaded for quick snipes, ect.

Darknight

Can someone tell me how to stream to twitch and make it save the streamed video?

I was playing this game and did a live stream so I could rewatch later but I went to the website and saw nothing. Is this possible or do I have to use youtube to save my streams?

How the fuck did this game score so low? I just finished a 1 hour co op session. At one point the guy and I were pinned behind a pillar blind firing around each side to buy some time. It felt so freaking real. The adrenaline rush I got when we beat that level was incredible. This is easily my favorite thing of 2017 so far.

Codiox

I don't know if I can even finish this game. This is to much for me, to real. The adrenaline is killing me because of the spiders and the feeling of complete loneliness and the unknown ahead of me. Played only one hour yesterday but went out shaking and with a fucking high pulse. Needed to come down before I could sleep. Crazy...

Any advises? Because I really wanna play through it. Just arrived at the
robots

Logsi

I don't think I'm feeling this game. I'm playing it with. It's analog sticks. The game seems a little uninspired. I can't say I'm getting any awe from it at all in environments I know I should be.

I think mainly it's the enemies. Just find them a little dull.

I will continue to play and see if it gets better but currently it's a corridor shooter in open environments. I guess that's due to the limitations of VR.

Just ordered the bundle after a friend agreed to go halves :D

I told myself I would slow down on game purchases. But with this, Polybius and my preorder for Wipeout, I seem to be ramping up, instead ... Also sounds like i need Dick Wilde, now.

No regrets

MattAces

Just ordered the bundle after a friend agreed to go halves :D

I told myself I would slow down on game purchases. But with this, Polybius and my preorder for Wipeout, I seem to be ramping up, instead ... Also sounds like i need Dick Wilde, now.

No regrets

We are starting a Dick Wilde cult here, slowly making sure that everybody owns it.
Also the game is REALLY good. I'm enjoying Farpoint a lot but just keep coming back to Dick Wilde. Been playing it everyday since Dick Wilde release, and that never happens to me for any VR game in the past. I guess it has something to do with the game being extremely challenging and I just want to beat it.

Not to mention the awesome tracking and wide range of weapons. Like for real, you have every weapon in the game and both Move and Aim plays differently.

bumpkin

Finished the story last night. I'm glad they didn't
put a son-of-a-bitch hard boss battle at the end. The queen was tough as hell, I was not looking forward to another battle like that as cool as it was. Especially not with the robots and aliens in-play. The aliens were absurdly mobile and the big robots were SOBs to take down in numbers.

Overall I really enjoyed the game. I know I have made the claim that it's a better VR showpiece than RE7 and I stand by it. The game didn't
change its tune in the last half (go from horror to action)
like RE7 did.

So, who's up for some co-op? Send me a FR, my Gamer ID is DaveB1980

The first boss fight is no joke, it took me about a half dozen times to beat it.

I thought the game started a little too slow but I'm really loving it besides that. The $50 standalone price is too steep but the aim bundle for $60 is great value. I hope this game sells decently enough.

MrBigBoy

I don't know if I can even finish this game. This is to much for me, to real. The adrenaline is killing me because of the spiders and the feeling of complete loneliness and the unknown ahead of me. Played only one hour yesterday but went out shaking and with a fucking high pulse. Needed to come down before I could sleep. Crazy...

Any advises? Because I really wanna play through it. Just arrived at the
robots
I'm in the same boat as you. Played it for half an hour yesterday, and today. But oh man, those
spider like things! I did not even came across the big ones..
! I hate hate spiders!! I just can't play the game because of it, it's just to real for me..

I'll let a friend play this while I watch, because I just can't.

I really love the tech tho, the controller feels great. Let's hope there will be more games in the future that make use of the aim.

Anyone figure out what the points you get from dropping random items in that hole in the multiplayer lobby are for?

The desk lamp is worth 75pts for example.

Had more fun than we should have trying to bat shit in there from off the table. XD

hank_tree

Anyone figure out what the points you get from dropping random items in that hole in the multiplayer lobby are for?

The desk lamp is worth 75pts for example.

Had more fun than we should have trying to bat shit in there from off the table. XD

I think it's just something fun to do while the game is loading. Compete to get the most points.

I'm not afraid of spiders and I'm in agreement with people saying that the spiders are too scary. I kind of wish the game had robots or something less phobia-inducing.

How the fuck did this game score so low? I just finished a 1 hour co op session. At one point the guy and I were pinned behind a pillar blind firing around each side to buy some time. It felt so freaking real. The adrenaline rush I got when we beat that level was incredible. This is easily my favorite thing of 2017 so far.

I agree that this is the best video game experiences I've had all year. But the game itself is a 7, the level design is a bit uneven (too many corridors) and the enemies are fairly generic bug monsters. It's the controller that pushes it to a 8 or 9 for me. I think several reviews gave it lower scores because they're not adding the controller experience to the score, which I think is fair.

Briarios

I'm not afraid of spiders and I'm in agreement with people saying that the spiders are too scary. I kind of wish the game had robots or something less phobia-inducing.

I agree that this is the best video game experiences I've had all year. But the game itself is a 7, the level design is a bit uneven (too many corridors) and the enemies are fairly generic bug monsters. It's the controller that pushes it to a 8 or 9 for me. I think several reviews gave it lower scores because they're not adding the controller experience to the score, which I think is fair.

Just FYI, there are more than just bugs ...

Ogni-XR21

Is there a stage select (except the challenges) once you beat the game?

Also, I've played the first stage with new enemies,
man those Juggernauts are a real pain, it took me forever to beat that stage, and the stage after that seems to be even worse with the flying robots shooting now too.
Which highlights the biggest flaw of the game for me again: the save system. I mentioned it before and it's been posted several times by other players, but the game really should save more frequently. I don't always have a lot of time to play and not being able to just quit mid-level without having to play it all again is a real pain in the ass. Keeps me from just picking the game up for a quick game because I know I might need a lot of time to finish a level. I had to play the level with the first boss 3 times until I had the time to finish it. One save mid level would be a nice addition.

I would also appreciate an easy mode as I get my ass handed to me constantly. While it's a great feeling to beat a section in the end I would enjoy the game more if it was a bit easier. Should also be fairly easy to implement as a bit more health would suffice, imo.

anyone notice the toys on your table when you start or continue the game from the menu screen?

I think the further you are in the game the more toys appear.

Went to a 2nd best buy after seeing some in stock only to find that its sold out >___<

Search shows the closest bb with the bundle in stock is 120 miles away.

Trying to get it from bb or amazon so i can get in on the discount.

Top Bottom