• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fatal Frame / Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water |OT| Pokémon Snap U: After Dark

El Odio

Banned
I have to call it quits for tonight after crawling through the fence in drop 2 since I have to be up for work in 7 hours but I have to say that clunky movement controls aside I'm very much enjoying the game so far based on the demo. The atmosphere and presentation is great and combat seems like it will be pretty fun/tense once I get the hang of it soI definitely intend to pick this up once I have access to a better internet connection.

You never need to move to move the flashlight diagonally and you pretty much use the lock on for everything with the camera. There isn't a really need for the flashlight or the camera to operate like a gun in a shooter so the controls don't really need to function the same way. The controls felt pretty natural to me pretty quickly.

So the controls work fine, but require a crutch so that you don't have to aim ...

Mask

I'm contemplating cancelling my LE order from Nintendo UK. Not sure if it's worth it, but at the same time, if I did want to grab it later, it'll probably be hard to get a physical copy. Hmm..

kunonabi

So the controls work fine, but require a crutch so that you don't have to aim ...

The gamepad uses the lock on as well so it isn't something exclusive to the wiimote/nunchuk setup. Even without the lock-on the controls still work fine anyway and are certainly better than FFV's controls. Again, aiming a camera is very different than aiming a gun.

I'm contemplating cancelling my LE order from Nintendo UK. Not sure if it's worth it, but at the same time, if I did want to grab it later, it'll probably be hard to get a physical copy. Hmm..

Just try the digital trial version before you open anything. If it doesn't grab you from that, send it back for a refund. That's what I'm doing.

The gamepad uses the lock on as well so it isn't something exclusive to the wiimote/nunchuk setup. Even without the lock-on the controls still work fine anyway and are certainly better than FFV's controls. Again, aiming a camera is very different than aiming a gun.

What does aiming a gun have to do with anything?

I'm getting it next month or in december. Pretty excited for it but got to make time for Halo 5. My question is if I have an HDD that I already use for Xbox One, can I use the same HDD for WiiU or does it need a separate one so it could format and make it WiiU compatible?

I'm getting it next month or in december. Pretty excited for it but got to make time for Halo 5. My question is if I have an HDD that I already use for Xbox One, can I use the same HDD for WiiU or does it need a separate one so it could format and make it WiiU compatible?

Has to be a separate one. The Wii U will reformat the HDD

Once again the prospect of playing a FF game is so exciting, and then I start playing and the atmosphere just drips and oozes with terror. Maybe I'll pick this up down the road.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Because of expenses I can't pick it up until next week, but I am on it so hard when I can. It gives me time to finish a few other things though, and I want to finish the Wii remake of 2 before I start 5. Interested to see how both of these games stand-up to my chart of Fatal Frame games.

They kind of have to since up bringing up the camera is so much slower in this one. If you're playing without the motion controls they should be pretty easy to get I would imagine.

It's definitely much easier without the motion controls. I missed almost all of the spirit photos in Drop 1 when I had it on, and then got almost all of the photos after turning it off for Drop 2.

Almost had a heart attack when I turned on the console this morning, saw the full game data was corrupted and wii U stopped recognizing the external drive. Luckily after a few restarts it worked again, had to re-download the game though. True horror indeed.

Having to look at the gamepad screen in combat is neat in that it replicates somewhat how you'd actually have to use a camera but at the same time it's hurt by how shit the screen quality of the gamepad is, especially in comparison to my relatively nice calibrated tvs. All the blacks are blown out at the colors muted. Oh well.

People complained about the Wii game controls but just moving the flashlight around felt more accurate at least. Really do feel like a spastic in this game.

Really hope for the next game they introduce human enemies via a clock tower system. Would be neat to have to worry about fighting ghosts where at the same time having to deal with enemies whom your camera obviously can't touch.

kunonabi

Having to look at the gamepad screen in combat is neat in that it replicates somewhat how you'd actually have to use a camera but at the same time it's hurt by how shit the screen quality of the gamepad is, especially in comparison to my relatively nice calibrated tvs. All the blacks are blown out at the colors muted. Oh well.

People complained about the Wii game controls but just moving the flashlight around felt more accurate at least. Really do feel like a spastic in this game.

Really hope for the next game they introduce human enemies via a clock tower system. Would be neat to have to worry about fighting ghosts where at the same time having to deal with enemies whom your camera obviously can't touch.

No thanks. We've already had to deal with human enemies in Silent Hill and RE. Let's have at least one series where we don't have to deal with that crap.

luka

Loves Robotech S1

each game already has ghosts that are invincible and kill instantly on contact. hell, kei in zero 3 had an actual stealth system that forced you to play hide and seek (and it wasn't great). mechanically it's more or less the same thing.

I remember somebody leaking there was a "serial killer" in Fatal Frame V and thought that may add a different and interesting dynamic to the game. Unfortunately that does not appear to be true at all.

EDIT: It's deader in here than Himuro Mansion. Nintendo once again showing themselves to be amazing at marketing their third party collab projects...

Porcile

I remember somebody leaking there was a "serial killer" in Fatal Frame V and thought that may add a different and interesting dynamic to the game. Unfortunately that does not appear to be true at all.

EDIT: It's deader in here than Himuro Mansion. Nintendo once again showing themselves to be amazing at marketing their third party collab projects...

I predicted that the stupid moral outrage™ thread would get more posts than the OT and my prediction might well come true. Obviously people are very principled in their beliefs and genuinely not buying the game because of it...

Yes, while the mixed reviews and distribution haven't helped, almost every Nintendo fan on this board knows the game exists. Yet, they aren't willing to support it. Even though it's the type of game people consistently criticise Nintendo for NOT making. It's fucking dumb, but it's been happening ever since the Wii era. Gamers, the media and journalists very rarely ever put their money where their mouth is. I guess it is what you can call a self-fulfilling prophecy.

TheMoon

I predicted that the stupid moral outrage™ thread would get more posts than the OT and my prediction might well come true. Obviously people are very principled in their beliefs and genuinely not buying the game because of it...

Well, remember that PAL land still has to wait a week to jump in. There'll be more people talking once it's out everywhere.

kunonabi

Yes, while the mixed reviews and distribution haven't helped, almost every Nintendo fan on this board knows the game exists. Yet, they aren't willing to support it. Even though it's the type of game people consistently criticise Nintendo for NOT making. It's fucking dumb, but it's been happening ever since the Wii era. Gamers, the media and journalists very rarely ever put their money where their mouth is. I guess it is what you can call a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I've bought every single Wii U/3DS release and I've spent a lot of time and money to play FFIV and the wiimake of 2. NOA didn't put together a release I'm willing to purchase and the shit marketing/digital only release didn't help for the broader audience they were so desperate to get. The Wii U has enough trouble getting sales out the smaller titles so turning pissing off the core fanbase for the titleand half-assing everything else is a recipe for trouble. I still bought the game just not from NOA.

I mean Zelda U and Starfox 0 are both missing this year and they couldn't find any room in the production/marketing budget to try and get some sort of boost for the few titles they have left this year? Hell, they didn't even want to touch Devil's Third before the big blowup.

P90

I have been able to put a some time into the game now. I can see the complaints about controls, but that is also what gives the game some of the tension that makes a survival horror game good. Atmosphere for MoBW is quite, quite impressive. MoBW is well worth the $50 entrance fee.

I still haven't bought this but that's because I've yet to reach the chapter where it requires purchasing. I plan to purchase however.

Ridley327

I still haven't bought this but that's because I've yet to reach the chapter where it requires purchasing. I plan to purchase however.

You can buy the rest of the game in the eShop before you get to that point.

I'm liking it so far, but I really could use a proper 180 quick turn option. You can kinda do one, but it's not very practical as it's more of a recentering function.

Porcile

I'm a big believer in content is king, so the means of distribution are secondary to my enjoyment of something. I can understand how it would be annoying on a practical level (HDD's, internet speeds etc), but it still wouldn't help things even if the game had a wider physical release. Besides, further ignoring the game completely isn't going to help its cause. Having bought the physical LE, I can only do my part, but there is a consistent trend of supposed hardcore gamers mourning the lack unique experiences on Nintendo consoles, and then subsequently ignoring the interesting ones which do come along.

Astarte

I'm usually a baby when it comes to horror games but the intro chapters didn't make me scared at all. I spent 90% of the demo wondering why everything was so attractive that it distracted me, but I'm not complaining :y

kunonabi

I'm a big believer in content is king, so the means of distribution are secondary to my enjoyment of something. I can understand how it would be annoying on a practical level (HDD's, internet speeds etc), but it still wouldn't help things even if the game had a wider physical release. Besides, further ignoring the game completely isn't going to help its cause. Having bought the physical LE, I can only do my part, but there is a consistent trend of supposed hardcore gamers mourning the lack unique experiences on Nintendo consoles, and then subsequently ignoring the interesting ones which do come along.

None of this is untrue but again not everyone who doesn't buy the game necessarily falls into that category. Those of those us who do support these titles shouldn't have have to feel obligated to buy every release just because everyone else is a hypocrite.

I was going to put up with the digital only release since I have the space and I've put up with it before(Senran Kagura, Ace Attorney 5, Fist of the North Star 2, One Piece Unlimited World RED) but having the game censored as well was just too much. Hell, I might even have accepted that had it been a retail release and if the cutscenes at least were left intact.

I'm really glad I bought this game despite poor reviews. I'm really enjoying it so far. I take my time playing too, probably because I'm a scaredy cat. The 2nd chapter took me an hour. So if there are 14 chapters, I'm expecting a 10+ hr game, so surprisingly content heavy.

I'm not quite sure I understand the combat though. The basic gist I got was:
- The closer the shot, the better
- If you catch the ghost mid-attack, that's good
- sometimes the ghost has these orbs floating around it. It's in your interest to frame the picture with the ghost and orbs all in the picture
- if the ghost grabs you, rapid-fire is enabled so take pictures like mad?​

So when fighting, I spent a lot of time just watching the ghost, either waiting for the ghost's orbs to appear or for it to attack me. Is that the way fighting should go, or should it all proceed a lot faster?

Also, I don't think I've ever succeeded in dodging the ghost hand that pops out when you go to grab items. Are you able to dodge it completely (without having to wiggle the control sticks?). And are you supposed to dodge it by releasing ZR or by letting go and pressing ZR again really quickly?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Guys, we're here to talk about the actual game, and our experiences with the game, not talk about how we are proud to not own it.

ohlawd

Also, I don't think I've ever succeeded in dodging the ghost hand that pops out when you go to grab items. Are you able to dodge it completely (without having to wiggle the control sticks?). And are you supposed to dodge it by releasing ZR or by letting go and pressing ZR again really quickly?

yes, you can completely dodge the hand by letting go for ZR at the right moment. that's all. there's no need to press ZR again after letting go.

I want this one to do well so we can get Fatal Frame 2 on virtual console.
PZ2 needs to make it to NA so other people on this continent can play my favorite FF.

Jucksalbe

Banned

Yeah, it would be nice if they'd use those Wii digital versions to release games in regions they weren't released in before (I'd like Excitebots, please!). NA needs to get Project Zero 2 and Another Code R.

kunonabi

I would think pal would get it eventually. Have any import Wii VC games made it to states? FF2, Another Code R and Disaster making it over would be nice for folks who didn't get to play them.

TheMoon

I would think pal would get it eventually. Have any import Wii VC games made it to states? FF2, Another Code R and Disaster making it over would be nice for folks who didn't get to play them.

NA is barely any getting any Wii games on the eShop as it is. Don't even think about imports lol.

It's weird that EU isn't getting Zero 2 Wii Edition alognside RE4 next week. Would be very fitting.

ASIS

Just finished the demo, I'm very much relieved. The game was much better than what some reviews indicated but I have to play the full game to give it the final judgement.

Yeah, I agree. It's a really sad outcome we are forced to deal with nowadays. Even dating back to the N64 era, third party games seemingly have never been able to get a break on Nintendo home consoles, it's something that has been a problem for practically two decades now. The odd few do okay, but none seem to really take off. Nintendo fans should be supporting games like these and the ones Platinum put out like Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta but alas...here we are. Even getting Platinum working on Star Fox will probably end in tears too as people have already made their minds up about that being "bad" or having some reason why it won't be a good game.

I can't help but praise Iwata (RIP) in his efforts for at least trying his best with third party projects, like he obviously did for the Fatal Frame series. I look forward to next week anyway when we get the game, it's easily going to be my most anticipated game releasing for the rest of the year, since it's been a very long time since we last got a brand new mainline entry in the series. Still annoyed over never getting 4, but oh well, at least we got the rest of the games released on Nintendo platforms.

Is it still available on Nintendo UK? I can't find it on their site, and would love to get my hands on a copy if possible.

Porcile

Is it still available on Nintendo UK? I can't find it on their site, and would love to get my hands on a copy if possible.

No, it sold out in a couple hours and never got a restock. Why? Who knows. I mean, clearly there no demand for it! I like how they seem to have totally overstocked the Xenoblade X LE as well...

Anyway, it seems like it has gone from GAME.co.uk as well, so your only hope for a copy in the UK is through ebay or something.

Porcile

Okay, weird. It seems the product page has disappeared from the site, but if you search for Project Zero in the search options, it still appears with a "Pre-Order" button. I just tried it and it did add a copy to the shopping basket. Whether that means you can in fact still pre-order it, or if it's a shop glitch is another matter.

Top Bottom