• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua Remaster Coming to Switch and Steam in 2024 (Translated for the First Time in English)

Whether or not it will be a faithful translation is up in the air...
There has been a fan translation of this for many years, so doing dumb things with the translation would accomplish nothing for them. However if the official translation of Mahoyo (Witch on the Holy Night) is anything to go by, they will try to stick closer to the original Japanese script because they know fans of this will demand it.

I'm just amazed they are actually going to release an actual official English translation of this after so many years. I'm a bit disappointed it's the Realta Nua version without the legendary ero scenes but oh well. These days Type-Moon do not acknowledge their eroge origins.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Whether or not it will be a faithful translation is up in the air...
We don't need it when the fan translation is perfectly accurate for all the key story scenes.

Djqi9Ry.jpg

The funny thing is iv played through this enough already that finally getting it officially, means very little.

Now if we could have some news on Fate/Extras remake...

Last edited:
Is this a Remaster of the Remaster of the first Visual Novel?
It's an upscale of an upscale in terms of the artwork, since they are using the PS Vita version as the base. Maybe there are higher quality assets than the 540p native resolution of Vita they can use, maybe there aren't. We'll find out soon enough.

The PS Vita version does add new opening and closing animated cutscenes made by Ufotable with new music from Aimer, so that will finally make it to platforms less dead than Vita. Which is nice for the people who didn't just watch them on YouTube.

An official English release after 20 years is what beggars belief. I guess it's nice that I can finally buy it and give them money for it.

We don't need it when the fan translation is perfectly accurate for all the key story scenes.

8cb795fb1079218c6a6712bcd52ab6b1.jpg

The funny thing is iv played through this enough already that finally getting it officially, means very little.

Which version should I play on emulator that you reccomand and which fan translation should I use?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Which version should I play on emulator that you reccomand and which fan translation should I use?

Joking aside I would wait for the official translation and see what that's like first. I remember the loopholes to get all the stuff working together, as in relta nua content + sex scenes (which while funny are indeed wtf why?) I also remember the most popular at the time mirror moon being extremely rigid... accurate but rigid, not machine translated but flat.

So honestly il probably be buying this as I really enjoyed their last release with witch on the holy night.

Paltheos

Goddamn. It's finally happening. One of the most legendary VNs of all time will finally be available officially in English. I wasn't sure this day would ever come.

There has been a fan translation of this for many years, so doing dumb things with the translation would accomplish nothing for them. However if the official translation of Mahoyo (Witch on the Holy Night) is anything to go by, they will try to stick closer to the original Japanese script because they know fans of this will demand it.

I'm just amazed they are actually going to release an actual official English translation of this after so many years. I'm a bit disappointed it's the Realta Nua version without the legendary ero scenes but oh well. These days Type-Moon do not acknowledge their eroge origins.

You can bet your ass fans will get the ero scenes patched back in. They've done it on previous releases of Realta Nua (I know).

I do wonder if the translation will try touching up some lines. >_> "Unsightly like apple skin" might be the worst simile in the entire story and it's stuck with me for years. I just finished Witch on the Holy Night last week and was very satisfied with the script (bar a few too many, silly punctuation errors and the occasional word choice that had me second guessing some stuff, but for the most part I really liked the prose).

killatopak

Man, getting all the endings as well as the bad ones was a slog in this. It has a very satisfying bonus ending unlocked though which was nice.

Looking at that trailer, I wish they just did the art a do over like in Tsukihime. Also, those character ability cards will just be plain outdated now if they keep that.

Joking aside I would wait for the official translation and see what that's like first. I remember the loopholes to get all the stuff working together, as in relta nua content + sex scenes (which while funny are indeed wtf why?) I also remember the most popular at the time mirror moon being extremely rigid... accurate but rigid, not machine translated but flat.

So honestly il probably be buying this as I really enjoyed their last release with witch on the holy night.

Thanks man

I'll do just that

Paltheos

Man, getting all the endings as well as the bad ones was a slog in this. It has a very satisfying bonus ending unlocked though which was nice.

Looking at that trailer, I wish they just did the art a do over like in Tsukihime. Also, those character ability cards will just be plain outdated now if they keep that.

Yeah, the bad ends are a slog. Most of them aren't even any good. I don't remember how many consist of "Oh no, Shirou blundered and died in a horrible and predictable way that also doesn't tell the player anything unique." Sparks Liner High is the only memorable one (to other readers, don't worry - the name by itself isn't a spoiler in any way) for showing the reader something they'd never see or learn anywhere else in the story and of course for being baller as fuck. Allot of fans, myself included, really wanted ufotable to produce bonus material in the Heaven's Feel adaptations just to showcase the climax but alas.

Agreed on the art too. Mid-2000s type-moon art is rough, even for the time imo. Takeuchi's costume design is the culprit. So many dresses with overalls on top, plain and dry shirts, and the iconic short skirt+long sweater was never really that great either (it's in this weird space where it's so iconic that it feels right to be there but ironically she consistently looks better wearing anything else). The ufotable redesigns for UBW and HF go a long way to fixing that shortcoming. The Witch on the Holy Night costume designs are also much better than Fate's (afaik, they weren't done by Takeuchi lol).

killatopak

I wanted to ask, what made the sex scenes in Fate/Stay Night wtf and funny? I might just wait for the Steam release and just mod in those scenes STARSBarry STARSBarry
I found a lot but they’re too nsfw to show here. Also Nasu has some hidden fascination using marine and sea creatures as his descriptors in sex scenes. That along with wtf lines like “purge insert antagonist from my anus” or describing someone like an educated prostitute. There are memes about this. A lot of it. Rumors are that Nasu actually hates sex scenes and are just forced to write them because it’s an eroge so it naturally has to have one. Also I think Takeuchi forces him to make one.

E8ywwc1.jpg

I found a lot but they’re too nsfw to show here. Also Nasu has some hidden fascination using marine and sea creatures as his descriptors in sex scenes. That along with wtf lines like “purge insert antagonist from my anus” or describing someone like an educated prostitute. There are memes about this. A lot of it. Rumors are that Nasu actually hates sex scenes and are just forced to write them because it’s an eroge so it naturally has to have one. Also I think Takeuchi forces him to make one.

E8ywwc1.jpg

I love sex scenes and fanservice in VNs and anime/manga and even I'm like yeah might as well wait for the official release lol

Pejo

Djqi9Ry.jpg

Was this also the one that spawned the "Tohsaka's defenseless anus" memes?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Was this also the one that spawned the "Tohsaka's defenseless anus" memes?

Yes exactly, however the images behind the text where a bit more... visual so I kept it at this one :)

0ecdfc724a700906fb8f679ec1efd276.gif

Sadly the scenes won't be included in this version because it's based on vita release which is child friendly. Therefore they had to skip the whole "Shiro can't transfer prana properly so he has to use his dick to do it" plot point.

Last edited:

bigdad2007

The H scenes are pretty cringe. I ended up turning them off on the patched version I played. They are fun to watch for a laugh, but the remake is by far a much more enjoyable story without them.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Love the anime...well most of them. Stay Night was a good one. What is this game? It seems like a visual novel type of game. The best thing about the series is the over the top animation and action. They need to get ArcSystem Works on this pronto.

bigdad2007

Love the anime...well most of them. Stay Night was a good one. What is this game? It seems like a visual novel type of game. The best thing about the series is the over the top animation and action. They need to get ArcSystem Works on this pronto.
It is literally the game that began the fate franchise.

It is the basis for all 3 anime adaptations (Stay Night, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heavens Feel).

It is the story that Fate Zero was a prequel to.

Yes it is a visual novel.

E8ywwc1.jpg
There are still rumors to this day that Nasu actually did refuse to write the ero scenes and Takeuchi was the actual writer for just those scenes

Paltheos

I've seen a lot of marketing, movies, series... But what is this game about?

The broadest strokes are that it's about a set of seven magi who are selected to take place in a winner-takes-all, battle-to-the-death conflict over a wish-granting grail. In this fight, each magi summons a superpowered familiar, each of whom's identity and powers are based off some mythical figure from legends, folktales, and actual history. The primary POV character is Emiya Shirou, who is unwittingly selected by the grail to fight despite barely knowing anything about magecraft or its place in the modern world.

Part of what makes Fate/stay night compelling is its presentation. Much of its lore and character building can't feasibly (or, easily at least) be communicated given its nature as a story of a bunch of people trying to kill each other. As such, the author Nasu split the story into three routes, each covering the same time periods and set apart based off the player's choices for Shirou's actions in the novel, and each route unpeels more layers of the onion to reveal character motivations, explain more of how the world works, and get to the core of the conflict. (PS: The novel's designed in a manner such that you can't make certain choices until you've completed prior routes, so there's no worry about running off track or doing something out of order)

Fate/stay night is not without its problems (and it does have problems lol), but if you're a lore junkie who also likes an anime aesthetic and are intrigued by the structure I described, you might enjoy it. Edit: And each route has a principal waifu, which is a pretty heavy element of the marketing.

Last edited:
I never thought I'd see the day. I'm really looking forward to reading it again, it's been 12 years since I read the mirror moon fan translation.

Paltheos

Give Fate Zero a watch....

Probably the correct choice - It's still the best thing to come out of the franchise, but Fate/Zero and Fate/stay night are still in that awkward space where they to some degree spoil each other. If you enjoy visual novels and the appeal of a Nasu story, just reading stay night first is the best way to go. And if not, then don't bother with anything else, watch Zero, and be done with it.

Fate/zero is technically a prequel but spoils events in Fate/Stay Night that first-time readers aren't supposed to know about. If you are truly new to the Fate franchise (excepting FGO), then you have the opportunity to experience the story as it was meant to unfold. Once there actually is an official English version of F/SN, if you haven't actually read it, you can actually watch/read Fate/zero after F/SN as intended.

This is a real spoiler: First time readers of Fate/Stay Night are not supposed to know that Rin and Sakura are actually sisters. I get that it's 20 years later, but it was kind of a big reveal in the original VN and underpins the entire emotional arc of Heaven's Feel and knowing because it is casually spoiled at the start of Fate/zero is kind of shitty if you have chance to avoid it still.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It is literally the game that began the fate franchise.

It is the basis for all 3 anime adaptations (Stay Night, Unlimited Blade Works, and Heavens Feel).

It is the story that Fate Zero was a prequel to.

Yes it is a visual novel.
Has there ever been an action game based on Fate?

kinda surprised it’s not coming to PlayStation as well after Witch on the Holy Night + Tsukihime are

I’ll definitely pick it up for my Steam Deck

The way Sony is handling their most profitable gaming IP is weird, to say the least.

I guess it's due to the Western management of Playstation Studios, they are still figuring out how to make money with GaaS instead of asking their colleagues over at Aniplex.

bigdad2007

Has there ever been an action game based on Fate?
Fate Extra for the PSP, Fate Extella and Fate Extella link as well. All of these games are spinoffs though and IMO Stay/Night is still the best story told in the universe .

The Fate Apocrypha anime is also very good. But again is another what if side story. Really the fate series is a really confusing multiverse where each offshoot/path in the visual novels is an alternate reality.

Oh, just realized, this is a port of the Vita version of Realta Nua? Somehow I missed that tidbit lol.

This version should keep those awesome ufotable openings for each route, then.

Possible spoilers in the openings but here they are.

Last edited:
Unrelated:

I finished up with Fate/Extra CCC thanks to the recently released fan translation and quietly that game is a masterpiece.

I doubt he ever uses his GAF account anymore, but if you're out there somewhere, thank you to cj_iwakura cj_iwakura for your long years working on translating it. All of us who have waited a decade for the game thank you from the bottoms of our hearts.

Last edited:

Pejo

Unrelated:

I finished up with Fate/Extra CCC thanks to the recently released fan translation and quietly that game is a masterpiece.

I doubt he ever uses his GAF account anymore, but if you're out there somewhere, thank you to cj_iwakura cj_iwakura for your long years working on translating it. All of us who have waited a decade for the game thank you from the bottoms of our hearts.
No shit, I didn't know he was a GAFfer (at some point at least). Dude deserves some praise for sure.

cireza

I never thought I'd see the day. I'm really looking forward to reading it again, it's been 12 years since I read the mirror moon fan translation.
Certainly don't start by Fate Zero.

Start by Unlimited Blade Works (from Ufotable) and then move on to Zero at the very least.

Certainly don't start by Fate Zero.

Start by Unlimited Blade Works (from Ufotable) and then move on to Zero at the very least.
Nah

Deen/Stay Night - Zero - ufo UBW - ufo Heaven's Feel should be the watch order

Also, unpopular opinion, the Deen UBW movie did Shirou vs Archer better than ufotable did. It felt closer to the VN.

Last edited:

cireza

Nah

Deen/Stay Night - Zero - ufo UBW - ufo Heaven's Feel should be the watch order

Also, unpopular opinion, the Deen UBW movie did Shirou vs Archer better than ufotable did. It felt closer to the VN. (SERIOUS SPOILERS IF YOU'RE NOT FAMILIAR WITH F/SN)

I'd personally not recommend Deen, it aged quite badly (except the soundtrack), but the order makes the most sense tough. If only Ufotable could remake the Fate route as well. Oh, and Tsukihime while they are at it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom