• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fatlus comics

Flying_Phoenix said:
Well actually I have a Blu-Ray player but I was at that point listing everything I saw in that picture.:p
The comics are a quick caricature of GAF Japanophile. His devotion to Atlus is merely symbolic of his devotion to Japanese video game companies in general and his irrational love of everything Japanese as being superior to their western counterparts are a satire of the same behaviour among certain elitist forum posters (note the brown/too much freedom/too deep for you mom comments). He also hypocritically decries the lack of variety in the shooter genre while celebrating certain JRPG conventions despite their ubiquity.

The fact that he's fat and has a neckbeard is just there to emphasise that he doesn't leave the house much and places way too much importance on this.

jgtqaq.jpg

This is hilarious.

Cheetos-encrusted thumbs are a nice touch.

BTW: I liked Atlus better when it was all about cyberpunk and tits. Nowadays it's about going to school and shits. I hate it.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Cheetos-encrusted thumbs are a nice touch.

BTW: I liked Atlus better when it was all about cyberpunk and tits. Nowadays it's about going to school and shits. I hate it.
Have some faith.

Here's hoping that Shin Megami Tensei 4 brings back the Kazuma Kaneko coolness.

This reminds me of a guy who comes into the store occasionally and brags about playing Japanese ROMs on his DS and using GameFAQs translations.

disappeared said:
This reminds me of a guy who comes into the store occasionally and brags about playing Japanese ROMs on his DS and using GameFAQs translations.

They're basically a subset of what is already a niche.

cartman414 said:
So now Atlus appreciation is like fanboying DBZ? I can take a joke, but can't I just call out a retarded analogy?
You can substitute DBZ for Naturo or any other anime aimed at children. An interest is fine, but an unhealthy obsession is never pretty. The point is not the specific anime being fanboy'd, but rather the process of fanboying itself, which is always the same.

Kritz

Banned
Those comics are pretty unfunny. Granted I didn't even know what Atlus was until I googled it just now, so maybe it has some kind of history to it that somehow makes this thread more amusing.

Whatevs, man. WHATEVS.

cartman414 said:
They're basically a subset of what is already a niche.

It's difficult to outright condemn these sorts of guys, because we're all different and we're entertained in different ways. But christ, put the 400+ hour loli-grindfest down once in a while, turn the console off, and remember that there is, in fact, a big world outside.

Flying_Phoenix said:
So apparently I'm White. 20 Years Old. Named Nate. Has Short hair. Buys VHS tapes. And is obsessed with Dragonball Z...Jesus you're so wrong.

I'm sorry but the fact that you and others are accusing me of being some "super geek" because for some reason you think I don't like the strips because they "make fun" of Atlus and hurt my feelings since I'm "too into games", when in reality I don't like the strips because they are poorly written and drawn with minimal effort put into them as well as being inaccurate toward what they make fun of (when you make fun of a company it's best to at least use well the company in the comic). But no ignore my comments, nevermind all my comments about this fell into my latter example of me, never mind that I didn't even so much as once didn't say something like "that's not true Atlus and JRPG's aren't like that", no I'm a white supergeek named Nate who is obsessed with DragonballZ that is 20 years old because I stated my opinions on the issue that don't mesh with yours, truly brilliant.

I bow down toward your incredible logic.

Now usually I'd just chuckle at this then close this window and go on about that day. But since apparently I'm not who I thought I am I guess I'm going to cry myself to sleep now on my bed made of Dragonball Z tapes next to my shrine of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne framed and candle lit and all. I must also practice "the force" since my registered religion is Jedi.

hahahahahaha

just gonna quote dis

viciouskillersquirrel said:
You can substitute DBZ for Naturo or any other anime aimed at children. An interest is fine, but an unhealthy obsession is never pretty. The point is not the specific anime being fanboy'd, but rather the process of fanboying itself, which is always the same.

Personally I'd liken Atlus to the top-tier stuff like Cowboy Bebop instead of that lowest common denominator malarkey. But that's just me.

disappeared said:
It's difficult to outright condemn these sorts of guys, because we're all different and we're entertained in different ways. But christ, put the 400+ hour loli-grindfest down once in a while, turn the console off, and remember that there is, in fact, a big world outside.

I see what you mean, but the "400+ hour loli-grindfest" is more of a NIS thing.

Ikael

The first one and the snowboard kids ones are awesome, but the rest are kinda meh. It is impossible to center a comic around a stereotype and not became repetitive, me thinks, but there are some that are geniuinely unffunny, even if I agree with its premise (like the one about grinding). That being said, we need a western nerd paint comic ASAP too. The world needs more comics made in paint <3<3<3

Red Scarlet

Anyone who would go to that extreme should be mocked, but overall the comics were predictable and not very funny after one or two.

cartman414 said:
Personally I'd liken Atlus to the top-tier stuff like Cowboy Bebop instead of that lowest common denominator malarkey. But that's just me.
Well, they did start pandering to the weeaboo audience by leaving honorifics on Persona, eric414-chan.

Flying_Phoenix said:
So apparently I'm White. 20 Years Old. Named Nate. Has Short hair. Buys VHS tapes. And is obsessed with Dragonball Z...Jesus you're so wrong.

I'm sorry but the fact that you and others are accusing me of being some "super geek" because for some reason you think I don't like the strips because they "make fun" of Atlus and hurt my feelings since I'm "too into games", when in reality I don't like the strips because they are poorly written and drawn with minimal effort put into them as well as being inaccurate toward what they make fun of (when you make fun of a company it's best to at least use well the company in the comic). But no ignore my comments, nevermind all my comments about this fell into my latter example of me, never mind that I didn't even so much as once didn't say something like "that's not true Atlus and JRPG's aren't like that", no I'm a white supergeek named Nate who is obsessed with DragonballZ that is 20 years old because I stated my opinions on the issue that don't mesh with yours, truly brilliant.

Now usually I'd just chuckle at this then close this window and go on about that day. But since apparently I'm not who I thought I am I guess I'm going to cry myself to sleep now on my bed made of Dragonball Z tapes next to my shrine of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne framed and candle lit and all. I must also practice "the force" since my registered religion is Jedi.

Well played, EmCeeGramr. A truly masterful job.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Flying_Phoenix said:

ruh roh, time for plan B

you just got served, son

Endgegner

The comics are a quick caricature of GAF Japanophile. His devotion to Atlus is merely symbolic of his devotion to Japanese video game companies in general and his irrational love of everything Japanese as being superior to their western counterparts are a satire of the same behaviour among certain elitist forum posters (note the brown/too much freedom/too deep for you mom comments). He also hypocritically decries the lack of variety in the shooter genre while celebrating certain JRPG conventions despite their ubiquity.

The fact that he's fat and has a neckbeard is just there to emphasise that he doesn't leave the house much and places way too much importance on this.

Beautiful. Your tag needs an extension.

firex

these comics are the best thing to happen to this forum since FF13 going to 360. I say this as a huge atlus game buyer and JRPG fan, because jesus fuck some of you JRPG fans gotta lighten up and either try some new games or stop being so elitist about the 1-2 genres you exclusively play.

Not a big fan of the comics, but they are pretty accurate. Of course, I do like Atlus, so I'm probably biased. I just hope I never get that bad.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Flying_Phoenix said:

Well...this thread was worth it thanks to this post.

Quixzlizx

cartman414 said:
Personally I'd liken Atlus to the top-tier stuff* like Cowboy Bebop instead of that lowest common denominator malarkey*. But that's just me.

I see what you mean, but the "400+ hour loli-grindfest" is more of a NIS thing.

I don't think you're getting it. The comics are illustrating a certain gaming elitist* stereotype, and not supposed to be taken literally.

I play Persona and Disgaea games, and I complain about Halo online (although I do like fps games), and I still thought they were hilarious. The Guilty Gear one was the only one that hit a bit too close to home. :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
firex said:
these comics are the best thing to happen to this forum since FF13 going to 360. I say this as a huge atlus game buyer and JRPG fan, because jesus fuck some of you JRPG fans gotta lighten up and either try some new games or stop being so elitist about the 1-2 genres you exclusively play.

I have, and was bored as fuck playing them. So why would I waste my time on games I don't like?

Read em again. After getting used to the art style, I laughed. I like how the guy buying Guilty Gear apparently doesn't brush his teeth.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Flying_Phoenix said:
Exactly my thoughts. The games they describe aren't even like Atlus (rainbow colors? WTF?) some aren't even by Atlus (Disgaea 3?). Oh and there's the part of them not being the least bit funny.

fatlus.gif

Bisnic said:
Well...this thread was worth it thanks to this post.

I wasn't getting angry but rather going by the logic of the people commenting on my opinions on the strips.

alistairw said:
Comic of me

I apperciate the effort but I'd prefer something a little more clever then taking piece by piece of my post and making a strip of a supposed me just rambling. That saying the strip did make me chuckle. :D

I understand that as well as the point the strips are trying to make but that isn't why I dislike them, it's more so the fact that they are structured and written very poorly as well as lack wit as others in this thread have said these jokes are very obvious. I definitely think what they try to satire has potential, I just think the jokes and writing aren't very well structured.

dallow_bg said:
Could someone post some more sophisticated Fatlus comics for flying_phoenix?

I really don't see how I've come out as "the bad guy" in this thread. All I did was just simply state my opinion on these comics and nothing more. I didn't enjoy the comics, that doesn't mean you and others can't.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
is there a book of these i can buy?

i don't really like them, but i know they'll be rare someday, so i want to get them while i can

Mamesj

Banned
Green Biker Dude said:
Last year's Atlus best selling game - Persona 4 - didn't even make the top 10 for one month, I think. IIRC it wasn't even in the PS2 top ten, though I'm not that versed with the sales numbers.

Either way, so much for a) dominating the RPG market when many games - Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fable 2 and maybe even Too Human - have outsold their best selling title and b) monopolizing the genre along with S-E.

There were quite a few jRPGs last gen that weren't from either Atlus or SE too. Breath of Fire V and Mega Man X: Command Mission, 2 Disgaeas and some other related games, 3 Xenosagas, 2 Ar Tonelicos, 2 Yakuzas (somewhat RPGs), 3 Shadow Hearts, 20355849 Tales of. There's plenty more, I'm sure, and then there are many games that aren't even localized.

Let's troll Atlus and all, but let's not be retarded about it.

First of all, it's relative. It doesn't matter if Persona 4 charted on the NPD or not. The game is still selling full price and will probably sell through the U.S. branch's stock through the end of the year, still at full price. This is more than most companies could ask for.

It's not trolling if I'm telling the truth about their status in the game world. Sorry Atlus isn't really a bunch of little anime girls producing SMT games in a basement, like the company would lead you to believe. They sell out of their stock of a lot of games and make profit hand over fist in the U.S. alone. In Japan, they're much huger, like, say, EA in the U.S. But even then, Atlus' presence in Japan extends beyond video games. They haven't been the "little guy" of the industry for quite some time. But it helps them to keep up that image and to beg people for preorders by offering seductive posters of Izuna. It's just annoying that people fetishize their love for the company and misconstrue who they are...

This thread turned into such a wonderful trap.

Top Bottom