• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Commodore 64 game?

Phediuk

I played the ever-loving shit out of Lode Runner back in the day. It's pretty amazing how much replay value they managed to squeeze out of such a simple game.

iw6Dax4iClUpd.gif
in62jjx0vOu5j.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWwyhymcDxI

Also, Montezuma's Revenge, Jumpman, Fort Apocalypse, and International Karate (that music!).

How about you GAF?

hoserx

Gorf and Ghostbusters......... the latter took about an hour to load (not kidding) on my Commodore 64.... Gorf was pretty fast (it was a cartridge)

I never had a Commodore 64 but used to play on a friends. It would probably be Bubble Bobble, but I also really liked The Last Ninja and Warhawk.

Menome

So many to list; Head Over Heels, Paradroid the Dizzy series, Creatures II, Mayhem In Monsterland and a whole host of text-adventures. What a system to grow up with.

graffix13

Beachhead 2. I didn't own it, my friend did. We would always have close games until the last battle (the knife throwing) and then he would just own my ass.

Law of the West was fun too.

Fuz

Banned
I'd say Turrican. Or The Last Ninja. Or Zak. Or Maniac Mansion.

It's really, really hard to answer.

Edit: by reading your answers I want to add games to the list.

Chairhome

I can't pick just one! I'd have to say Summer Games I/II, Winter Games, Jumpman/Jumpman Jr., Cliff Hanger, Ghostbusters and probably more that I can't remember.

Hanmik

there are to many ,... mama mia.. my fav gaming macine ever..

First love was Commando, Uridium, Cauldron..

but then I got lost in Maniac Mansion. Wasted 2 hours looking for the key to enter the Mansion (under the fucking Doormat).. that game was like a drug for me and my brothers..

Defenders Of The crown was next, then Turrican...... Creatures...

ohh man IK+, Last ninja, Elite, Impossible Mission, Bruce Lee, BoulderDash, Paperboy, Bards Tale, Stunt Car Racer ...

but If I should narrow it down.. this is my top 5

1. Pirates! - (or Rick Dangerous)
2. Winter Games.
3. World Games.
4. California Games.
5. Skate or Die.

these games are part of my childhood..,

halfbeast

Banned
doctorcreep_title.jpg

also by Broderbund. a great (co-op) puzzler. every room is one screen big. every time you leave a room, it's your co-op partner's turn. if both are in the same room, you can both play simultaneously. makes exploring/solving the castle faster that way.

there are different types of traps, which you can use to your advantage to kill off monsters, since you don't have any weapons.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Paradroid, Uridium, Nebulus, Commando, Boulderdash, ...

ranmafan

EPYX's Summer Games series. The amount of time I spent as a kid playing Summer Games 1 and 2 especially goes into the multiple hundreds of hours. Still my favourite sports game and best olympic game I ever played. Wish there was an olympic game that came even close to that package of fun EPYX created.

Hasney

I got that free on a C=64 mag. So good.

I had the Hollywood pack and loved Miami Vice, Batman, the Dizzy Series and Sub Hunt.

Same pack I had bundled with the system!

As for best game, it's always Skool Daze. Such a brilliant sandbox game for its time.

Damn there are some great games on the C64, doubt I can remember all the greats but here are some I used to play a tonne with my dad and nephew:

Flimbo’s Quest
Fiendish Freddies Circus
Terminator 2 (Cartridge)
Stunt Car Racer
Raid Over Moscow
Bubble Bobble
Dizzy (Various)

God there really is too many, those are a small sample of its greatness though.

Wavebossa

Jordan vs Bird: One on One.

"It's like a 360 tomahawk slam to the face of racism!" ~ Young Me

EDIT: Apparently there were more one on one games featuring Larry Bird. Lol he just played everyone

Man, I loved so many: Congo Bongo, Fort Apocalypse, Who Dares Wins II, H.E.R.O., Skool Daze, Green Beret, Lazy Jones, Pyjamarama, Hard Hat Mack, Miner 2049er, Hover Bovver, Scramble, Giana Sisters, High Noon, Blue Moon, Space Harrier, Popeye, Saboteur, Tarzan, Pooyan, Aztec Challenge, Ninja 2... It's extremely hard to pick favorites, but let's say Rocky Horror Picture Show for its atmosphere and New York City for its freedom and variety.

It must be nostalgia speaking, but C64 is probably still my favorite platform of all time.

shandy706

Still have my C64 (put up in a closet).

Kid me absolutely LOVED this game. It's the one I remember the most.

iRLfc9nNkBVLR.jpg

I had a massive collection by the late 80's that covered nearly every genre. For some reason, this one stuck in my head though.

conman

Impossible Mission.

Never owned a c64, but definitely put some serious hours into this game at a friend's place. Great memories.

Used to play the following a lot with siblings;

Flimbo's Quest
Fiendish Freddie's circus thingy
California Games
Buggy Boy
Klax and
Pang!

Had Ninja Remix, but none of us could ever jump the boat!

Also used to play Rick Dangerous and some other space based shooter that was pretty fun, but the name I no longer remember.

Then there was International Soccer on a cart. Infinite headers all the way into the goal. Yes, man!

Handy Fake

The Last Ninja and Wizball spring immediately to mind.

I loved the Ocean film tie-ins too - Batman and Robocop to name two.

Boyzi

Banned
Hmmmmmm, tough one this, but I guess the following;

1) Emlyn Hughes International Soccer
2) Microprose Soccer
3) The Last Ninja
4) Commando
5) Ikari Warriors
6) Gauntlet
7) International Karate
8) Outrun
9) Wizball
10) Armalyte

EDIT: changed to a top ten 'cos 5 ain't enough...

Silent D

Neo Member
Too many great games. So many already in this thread. Well, Donald Duck was something back then, not those angry birds.

Donald Ducks Playground
dd-playground-3.png

Funny coincidence this thread. I just purchased the Commodore 64 Visual Commpendium.

Oppo

impossible to pick.

but OP, Lode Runner was either the first or 2nd C64 game I ever played (I think it was first, and Jumpman was second) but yes, a true classic and easily top 5.

Anyone remember Cliff Hanger? it blew my mind at the time. maybe first 'meta' game

Knuf

There can be only one:
Microprose_Soccer_-_USA_94.png

Other not already named favourites of mine (and my friends):

Hunchback
Hunchback5.gif

Bruce Lee
Bruce_Lee.png

The Goonies
The_Goonies_v1.png

Yie Ar Kung Fu
Yie_Ar_Kung_Fu.png

Psycho Pigs UXB
Foto+Psycho+Pigs+UXB.jpg

Shane

Memories...

Barbarian
Barbarian_-_The_Ultimate_Warrior.png

Impossible Mission
hqdefault.jpg

Gauntlet
350px-Gauntlet.gif

The Last Ninja
The_Last_Ninja.gif

One of my Dad's favourites (#1 was Bruce Lee)...

Way of the exploding fist 2 (aka Fist 2)
1169322-fist_2___the_legend_continues_05.gif

Two recent great games...

Soulless
soul_02.gif

Super Breadbox
superbreadbox.png

Top Bottom