• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hardware Platform Favorite Console Hardware "Gimmick"

Fitzchiv

Apr 24, 2018
Light guns is a great shout, but I'm going to go back to the OG PlayStation and say the CD player + visual and sound effects.

GametimeUK

Jul 2, 2015
Not really a gimmick as much as it is a step in the right direction, but Sony really pushed Cross Buy on Vita. You got PS3, Vita and PS4 games all for the price of one game. There was times where you could make use of Cross Save. Inter connectivity between multiple devices is a massive interest of mine and now Microsoft are doing it and the Nintendo Switch is a portable and home console rolled into one. I think a portable home console is a dream gimmick, but obviously held back in some regards to technical limitations.

When it comes to gimmicks I also adore the share button.

Jubenhimer

Nov 11, 2018
Can I say PS4's share button? Is that considered a gimmick?
I'd say not really since its now standard on all three console controllers. I'm talking moreso about features and gimmicks unique to one specific platform, that are either not utilized as much as they could've been, or are a bit too impractical and under developed to be used often. In which case, the PS4 Touchpad and Speaker are better examples.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: and 3 others

Kagey K

Dec 18, 2013
OG Xbox music feature. Rip your CDs to the hard drive and listen to your music as you played your games.

I played tons of Tony Hawk and Amped with my own custom soundtracks. Thankfully it’s a feature that still (kind of) made it to this day.

Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
The Saturn's revolutionary Clock Battery to Save games on.

Imagine playing Saturn games you love for years, only for it to kill your orecious saves when you boot it up again.

To be fair you can store them on an Action Replay Cart but it's still a stupid gimmick that should never have been implemented.

Last edited:

TimFL

Nov 3, 2013
Germany
XB1 Kinect for the biometric sign in and awareness features (e.g. hand controller to a friend, friend presses guide button, it opens their home screen cause Kinect tied the controller to his ID).

Brofist

Jun 15, 2004
This topic might be a fun one to revisit in a year

Last edited: