• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite game designers

robotnik

After finishing an amazing Great Ace Attorney games I gave a thought - what game designers I respect the most at the moment?
'At the moment' are key words. I respected a lot of people in the past, but it isn't the case anymore as their output in my eyes isn't this good now (Hideo Kojima as an example).

So I propose to list 5 game designers (mines are Japanese only, but it isn't a limitation anyhow) in no particular order.

Hidetaka Miyazaki - Soulsborne father
Yoko Taro - mastermind behind Drakengard and Nier
Toshihiro Kondo - more president of Falcom rather than game designer, but as far as I understand he is still helping and supervising a lot
Hironobu Sakaguchi - Master Eraqus. Master has fallen to darkness, but I still love what he is doing and want him to return in a big way
Shu Takumi - yeah, returning to where we started - the author of Ace Attorney and Ghost Trick

List yours and let's discuss maybe.

ManaByte

Yu-Suzuki.png

RIP Am2

Handel

Yoshiaku Koizumi - One of the directors for and main creative influences behind Zelda Link's Awakening and Majora's Mask, as well as the Super Mario Galaxy games. He is like if Miyamoto was also a genius storyteller.

Fumito Ueda - Director and visionary behind Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian. His games merge gameplay and story better than any other in the industry, telling compelling stories with barely any dialogue.

Josef Fares - Director of Brothers : A Tale of Two Sons, A Way Out and It Takes Two, Fares has a co-op focus that's sorely missing in the rest of the industry. Even Brothers while not being technically co-op, has you controlling two characters at once. I can only hope EA continues to keep funding his creatively ambitious works, it's the one and only good piece of PR work they've done.

Shinji Mikami - The master of the horror genre, having directed both REmake and RE4. Really tight game design that makes these games fun to replay even after most of the tension is gone.

Tim Schafer - The creativity and charm in titles by him and the teams at Double Fine are second to none. The storytelling through level design in the Psychonauts games makes them the best platformers for my tastes.

Top Bottom