• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite grenade toss in videogames?

Hey GAF. Was wondering which in game/games you enjoy the grenade tossing mechanic in the most. For me, I have a clear cut winner:

Resident Evil 4's grenade tossing mechanic:

It feels perfect for me to aim and I feel like the trajectory of the grenade is predicable enough to pretty much always hit any enemy/enemies you are targeting the grenade toss at.

I'm not a fan of how later third person shooters, like Gears of War series for example, shows you the arc of the grenade and has hyper-realistic physics for the grenade toss...the arc tends to confuse me as when I try to toss a grenade along the arc, it tends to bounce off somewhere else anyway, rendering the arc useless I feel.

So GAF, what are your favorite grenade tosses in video games?

Does dynamite count?

giphy.gif

Naked Lunch

Halo. Its as essential to the game as shooting itself - and one of the main reasons the game has so much depth on the multiplayer end. A fine art learning how to bounce them properly.
Gotta give runner up to Metal Slug. Spamming those nades at bosses.

On the flip side, games like Battlefield's nade toss feels so slow and clunky. I also HATE when pressing the nade button, the game will stop and show you a trail of exactly where the nade will traverse - so lame.

Last edited:
Titanfall 2. I disagree that any of the RE's have good grenade throws, having to guess how they throw made it hard to accurately throw if they were anywhere besides right in front of you

stranno

Just Cause (1) mid-air grenade explosions were fun. I think it was the only mechanic properly done in the entire game (that was a disaster in most areas).

pKicK8W.gif

Call of Duty 3 smoke grenades were also fun, but pretty useless in the campaign.

i8iCXx8.gif

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Uncharted 1 motion control grenade tossing was by far the worst nade tossing I've ever experienced.

As for recent games I'm becoming a fan of heal/damage grenades such as the one used in Overwatch.

Keihart

I really enjoyed grenades in R6S, i even made a small compilation at some point

Flashes and smokes used to be able to roll before activating the fuse, but so few people even used the feature that it eventually got removed, one of the many changes that the game suffered because of proleague supposedly.

To me a good grenade mechanic is only as good as its effect on enemies. You need some good ragdollin. Also I don't like games where you ha e to select grenade then toss it. Always prefer a quick dedicated throw grenade button.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
I loved Quake 2s mechanic for it. I know lots of games let you cook Granades before throwing but it felt right in that game. Used to beat servers with just them if they were dumb enough to let me keep doing it 😝

Halo 2 and 3 would be next. Just the feel is good enough in those games.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

I came to just say Halo however couple of the other answers reminded me about Crackdown and Gears of War both of which have great mechanics in their own right.

Ornlu

Banned
Stickies in Halo were the shit. Nothing topped sidestepping a warthog trying to run you over, then casually sticking one to the tire as it drives on into oblivion.

Wimbledon

Plasma grenade -any halo game. It's fun sticking people as soon as you die and they blow up soon after , or sticking them from a distance when your going on a rampage.

Gargus

Banned
Going to say halo. And even though it isn't a grenade, the knife throw in destiny felt so damn good. I could plant that thing anywhere I wanted every time.

Although I only liked halo 1, and disliked all the destiny series but they had some grest gameplay mechanics.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
It doesn't have a cool animation, but the most satisfaction from a grenade was Starsiege Tribes. Felt so good blowing someone out if the air with a gernade.

Naked Lunch

No clue how I forgot about Team Fortress Classic. All about nade and conc jumping - an amazing gameplay mechanic that has completely vanished from gaming.

Shifty

Earth Defense Force

The heavy grenades that require your dude to do a big HUAAAAAARRRRRGH windup before flinging them halfway across the map. Priceless.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don't view grenades as top weapons in games, cooking a grenade and throwing them at players is a great feel and I do prefer grenade launchers
fHQ5fOF.gif

The Alien

Banned
Gears of War
  • Grenade can be aimed and thrown for accuracy.
  • Grenade can be casually lobbed for closer combat.
  • Grenade can be stuck to walls.
  • Grenade can be stuck to opponents.

Top Bottom