• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Jrpg towns

Daymos

Awesome thread!

Recently I really fell in love with Fonsett in Xenoblade2, part of it was probably the music though. It brings back thoughts of every first-town ( or home town) in every JRPG:

reminds me of xenogears.. no surprise there

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
4088-D80-F-4-F4-B-4-B67-BF33-D640501-C2-DFD.jpg

Can I say this entire area is one giant town?

50524-CE3-ED4-E-438-F-95-AC-C3-B3-C70-F96-A7.jpg
Vane - the floating city where all the mages went to study. From Lunar Silver Star Story Complete.

B7253-E70-FA0-A-4-CD1-810-A-45-BEB3-FA2537.jpg

Snow Hamlet Alrant - Trials of Mana. A nice place to just walk around in. The 2D version was slightly better just because of the graphics of the Super Famicom.

E1-A6-B32-F-86-A2-4004-AA3-D-C184-F7-E23-F21.jpg

Deling City from Final Fantasy VIII. I always loved watching the cars drive by. There’s also a pretty good boss battle there at the end of disc 1.

Last edited:

lachesis

I like Persona 5 / 5R's Tokyo. It's like a little mini tour of Tokyo itself, and last time I visited Tokyo 2 years ago, thanks to P5 - I was more aware of what's around than before - and was pretty amused how some of the real life locations were used, or how faithfully it was created.

Similar thing happend with Spider Man. Not a JRPG, but since I work in NYC for past 20+ years, I had fun just locating where I work, where things are, etc. Too bad that I couldn't really get into any of those places unless scripted - but it was neat experience nevertheless.

teezzy

Banned
What are your favorite jrpg towns that oozes atmosphere and fun to explore. Post your answers with a picture.

Parnasse from Baten Kaitos

2a6a570b3080d2bae0b8efd2607aa71c.png

Flanoir from Tales of Symphonia

maxresdefault.jpg

Fenmont from Tales of Xillia.

0adc01ff2b6ecd9523087c4df6fa4e67.jpg

Rabanastre from FFXII

FFXIITZA_Apr262017_15.jpg

Luxerion from Final Fantantasy XIII-3

LIGHTNING_RETURNS.HD_SCREENCAPS.PS3.1.jpg

Dark city Treno from FFIX

268653.jpg

Yu Liberte Tales of Graces f

2-24A1.jpg

I'd kind of like to make love to you right now, in the most hetero way imaginable.

Vaelka

The cities in FFXIV are all incredible.
Main issue is loading times altho in Stormblood and Shadowbringers they kinda solved that.

But Ishgard is truly something else, if you look up you really see how massive the city is it feels so real.

Last edited:

Handel

Zozo2.jpg

Zozo from FFVI is a great break from the normal JRPG town, being full of scumbags and having encounters. The music Slam Shuffle is a perfect backdrop to this wretched hive of scum and villainy.

mqdefault.jpg

Law City Zenebatos from Legend of Dragoon is really cool as it's a city run entirely on bureaucracy but managed by malfunctioning robots, so you get to change the laws to your advantage, even being able to outlaw random battles in the city.

I don't remember its name off the top of my head, but near the start of Tales of Vesperia there is this small village built on a hill, with a huge magical tree at its top. Looked majestic af once you made that tree bloom.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Insomnia from the royal edition of FFXV was cool.

Yusnaan from Lightning Returns was cool.

Academia from FFXIII-2

Archades from FFXII

Midgar/Edge from FFVII/AC

Narshe from FFVI

Hollow Bastion and Twilight Town from Kingdom Hearts.

ethomaz

Banned
I found most towns in Dragon Quest XI better than mostly if not all JRPGs released lately.

While some are great in artstyle they lack the live and interaction that Dragon Quest XI has... it is like a beautiful view without any use of it.

Last edited:

yansolo

Termina from Chrono Cross.

Love the Santorini inspired city center:
PnU780x.png

The market palace by the sea:
LdwsBfZ.png

The cozy vibe by the water:
acxCUf2.png

And the cheerful music (which recently had an amazing new rendition made but I can't find it on youtube anymore)

chrono cross doesn't get enough love, its a quality game

gela94

Every single town and village in DQVIII feels really special to me but i will never forget the first time i entered Farebury. The place had some very special charm and atmosphere that i can't explain but really loved.
Dragon_Quest_VIII_cover.jpg

Lazulis city in The Last Story also felt special. It felt alive and i really loved the relaxing music and ambience there.
last-story-2.png

Seeing the graphic the last story really could use a remaster for switch, I loved the game and this city.

dCMSwLu.jpg
DZxiTpW.png
b8V3kOT.png

Rogueport, Glitzville, and Twilight Town from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, naturally. I love Mario RPG towns in general (Monstro Town from Super Mario RPG, Toad Town from Paper Mario, and Little Fungitown from Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga immediately spring to mind), but I'll never pass up a chance to gush about TTYD in particular.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Aht Urgan from FFXI. I still hum the music from time to time there.

Limsa Lominsa from FFXIV.

Kugane from FFXIV

Even this long playing these games I still get chills from the beauty of the landscape and the music omg the music

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

Lazulis city in The Last Story also felt special. It felt alive and i really loved the relaxing music and ambience there.
last-story-2.png

I really need to play that game again. Gameplay was a great mixture of turn based design and action combat, music was good, story was wild. I think it's fair that this is The Last Story of the Final Fantasy creator.

Kev Kev

we are not going to go a whole jrpg thread without mentioning shining force

although, i have to admit, the towns in SF 1 and 2 are nothing super memorable, but all the other good ones have been posted already so 🤷‍♂️

Shining Force 2 - Creed's Mansion

although not exactly a town,. i still love it and consider it a town stop of sorts in the game, since oyu have to stay there a hile to compelte it, and there are other NPCs to talk to and eveything. toward the latter half of shining force 2, you can go to an optional area where witch or wizard or something lives who turns your whole miniature. youre forced to use mouse holes in the walls and ven face off against chess pieces on a chess board. i believe you can pick up a side character too if you win the battle, but i cant remember. always loved this part of the game for some reason. i think i missed it my first couple playthroughs, so it was a nice surprise to find a whole new area on later playthroughs.

its easier just to skip thorugh a walk through to see what it looks like and hear the music

Shining Force 2 - Eleven Town

basiclaly for all the same reasons as creeds mansion, PLUS the music is wonderful!

bonus! people covering the music from elven town <3

Top Bottom