• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite towns

kai3345

Banned
Inspired by the favorite bars thread, and my general love of the "favorite ____ in games" threads.

What are some of GAF's favorite in game towns? This is a bit of a broad topic, I know, but I'm hoping that allows for a variety of different locations to show up.

Pick your choices based on the general atmosphere of the town, as well as memorable in-game events that occur there.

Halure from Tales of Vesperia is a good one.
This one is memorable to me mainly from a design standpoint. The big tree is so iconic and the game's artstyle just makes it look like a moving painting.
Halure.jpg

Nipton from Fallout: New Vegas
Nipton is where shit starts getting real in terms of the plot of the game. It's the players first real encounter with Ceasar's Legion, and they're obviously dudes you don't want to mess with. They've even got a member of the Powder Gangers, your biggest adversaries up to this point, hiding in fear inside of the general store.
640px-NiptonHall.jpg

Illium from Mass Effect 2
The antithesis of Omega, Illium, the asari homeworld has a bright and sleek design. The "town" also features numerous characters from Mass Effect 1, the most notable of which is Liara T'Soni.
707px-Illiumcity.jpg

Damn, so many to choose from, hmmm...

The locations in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines were done very well, but as for my absolute favorite town, I'd have to say Inaba from Persona 4.

Mik2121

The main town in Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (the one for GC, not the Wii thing) was very nice, though not all that big. I can't find pics though...

I will post something else later :p

Luigi87

Nostalgia time.
I loved Fourside and Moonside from Earthbound.

fourside.png
moonside.png

Back when, one of the first games to give me a "wow, big city!" feeling.

Edit: Oh, and the post below, Clock Town... It felt alive thanks to the pre-programmed lives of the characters.

Of course a I love a lot of the towns posted thus far in the thread.

jambo

City 17

3X0Zw.jpg

Thanks to the great combination of wonderful ambient noise, believable characters and the changing nature of the city of the course of Half-Life 2 I won't soon forget it.

kai3345

Banned
jambo said:
City 17

3X0Zw.jpg

Thanks to the great combination of wonderful ambient noise, believable characters and the changing nature of the city of the course of Half-Life 2 I won't soon forget it.
ooo nice pick

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Vergen in The Witcher 2.

there's not really a photo out there that shows why it's so cool. It's kind of a sum of all parts

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Count of Monte Sawed-Off said:
FF6- Zozo: Awesome it's raining in this town. What the fuck, I just got attacked!

I fucking HATE Zozo...lol. Came at the end of a long period without being able to visit a shop, you're running low on health, then BAM. An oasis! Thank go- WTF? Why????

But favorite town....does anything in Professor Layton count?

upandaway

viridian_city.gif

Back then this was my favorite town in Red. I still really love it even though towns have become far more developed in Pokemon since then.

e: chuck you're my kinda guy

kai3345

Banned
WanderingWind said:
I fucking HATE Zozo...lol. Came at the end of a long period without being able to visit a shop, you're running low on health, then BAM. An oasis! Thank go- WTF? Why????

But favorite town....does anything in Professor Layton count?
it doesnt have to be a town strictly from a gameplay perspective, plot perspective works fine too.

Aeana

I came here to mention Halure. I see I don't need to.
That town is one of the things that sold me on Vesperia.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Red UFO said:
Clock Town from Majora's Mask, so many great characters in one place.

Clock-Town-Majoras-Mask.jpg

I'd have to go with this too. It seems very primitive in retrospect, but it's not stuffed with filler like a lot of towns in modern games.

Any town from FFX but my pick would be Lucas:

luca.jpg

It has a Blitzball stadium, some docks, some nice places (like the fountain) the theater (to view the cinematic and listen to music) nice marina, and great vista where the infamous laughing scene takes place.

Kamurocho in Yakuza series:

692d1d0520-yakuza-4-ps3-58591.jpg

It's a living town that goes by the days, weather and years. It's a pleasure to see how it's changing at each episode (going back to favorite bars, discovery news venues...) and there's always tons of things to see or to do.

Top Bottom