• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI and Justice Dept begin probe into daily fantasy sports companies

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.wsj.com/articles/fbi-jus...aily-fantasy-sports-business-model-1444865627

The U.S. Justice Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are probing whether the business model of daily fantasy sports operators violates federal law, according to people familiar with the matter.

FBI agents from the Boston office have been contacting customers of DraftKings Inc. to ask them about their experiences with the Boston-based company, one person familiar with the matter said.

The probe is in the preliminary stage, two people said. It is part of an ongoing discussion within the Justice Department about the legality of daily fantasy sites, in which customers pay entry fees to draft virtual sports teams that compete against each other for prize money based on the real-world performances of athletes. Congress in 2006 prohibited financial companies from transferring money to online gambling sites and several were shut down. But so-called games of skill were exempted. Fantasy sports sites have since operated under that exemption. So-called daily fantasy sites like DraftKings and FanDuel, Inc. didn’t become popular until after the law was enacted.

The Justice Department is trying to determine whether daily fantasy games are a form of gambling that falls outside the purview of the exemption. No decision on the matter has been reached, these people said.

Hundreds of millions of dollars in venture capital and player money are flowing into the booming fantasy-sports industry, which counts sports leagues, Alphabet Inc.’s investing arm, and major media companies such as Comcast Corp. and 21st Century Fox Inc. among its investors. Wall Street Journal-owner News Corp and 21st Century Fox were part of the same company until 2013. Walt Disney Co. earlier this year scuttled a planned investment in DraftKings, though the companies maintain a marketing relationship.

Daily fantasy came under scrutiny last week after a DraftKings employee admitted on a fantasy-sports message board last week that he had prematurely released sensitive data about the site’s biggest contest. The same week, he won $350,000 on FanDuel, something both companies acknowledge. DraftKings said the leak was an accident, and both companies said he didn’t benefit from having early access to data.

FanDuel has hired an outside investigator to conduct an internal review and make recommendations on how to strengthen controls on sensitive information. DraftKings has hired an investigator to look into unspecified allegations against an employee.

“It is entirely predictable that the government would follow up on the misleading reports about our industry,” a DraftKings spokeswoman said in a statement. “We have no knowledge of the specifics of any federal investigation but strongly disagree with any notion that our company has engaged in any illegal activities.”

FanDuel has said daily fantasy is a game of skill, not luck, and is therefore exempt under the 2006 law.

I still think it's ludicrous that the law that brought down online poker in the US has an exemption for fantasy sports as "games of skill." Give me back my legal poker. :mad:

HeySeuss

Gambling being illegal is beyond stupid. Lottery scratch offs that are a game of chance? Perfectly OK.

Bet your team to cover the spread? PUT HIM IN JAIL!!!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Gambling being illegal is beyond stupid. Lottery scratch offs that are a game of chance? Perfectly OK.

And by making it illegal they just incubated a huge illegal enterprise ran by organized criminals who prey on addicted gamblers.

It's so fucking stupid.

I still don't know how fantasy sport works.

You draft players from team rosters in order to form your own team in a league with your friends.

Every week you gain a certain amount of points depending on how the players did and get matched up to another team in your league. If you get more points, you win the week.

*Note this example is for fantasy football

bryehn

I still don't know how fantasy sport works.

me either, but I won huge on FanDuel last week!

it was $13 on a $2 bet

I'm from Canada and literally wager on sports every day via bodog or a similar site. I've won large amounts, but as long as I report it on taxes no one cares.

Most days it's a few bucks on a few games though, maybe a proline (government sanctioned parlay-only lottery with shit odds) when they screw up spreads.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Part of the problem is this isn't constituted as gambling.

I'd be with legal gambling provided we had rules and regulations in place, and that shit like this is classified as it should be aka gambling.

tenchir

I seen the commercials for these fantasy football draft and I have always wondered why they were legal when stuff like Poker was banned.

entremet

I think more people care about breaking these things up due to their annoying wall to wall marketing strategies than any ethical considerations lol.

slabrock

Banned
I think more people care about breaking these things up due to their annoying wall to wall marketing strategies than any ethical considerations lol.
It's pretty messed up. The article I read said that the top 1% pay 40% of the entry fees and win 90% of the profits. The sites are very dependent on the big players.

Grexeno

This is the very reason behind the ad blitz. Make as much money as possible as quickly as possible before we inevitably get shut down by the feds.

How about this compromise: companies are allowed to milk money from suckers in whatever form they like, just as long as I don't have to see or hear ads about them in every damn form of media on the planet.

Maddocks

Releases sensitive info on a message board, then goes to his competitor and makes $350,000 and the company doesn't think he benefited from the info?

seems kinda shady.

Bowdz

I know, it's complete bullshit.

The people who made gambling illegal are a bunch of shit-sipping frittatas, much like Pete-Top-Kevin-Bottom.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I live in Japan, so have no idea about this stuff. I was in Seattle for a week on business and I saw 50 Draft Kings ads every time I turned on the TV. Holy shit that was annoying.

jmood88

This is the very reason behind the ad blitz. Make as much money as possible as quickly as possible before we inevitably get shut down by the feds.
No it wasn't; they'd been operating for years and had backing from the major sports leagues and other corporations. They had the misfortune of their ad blitz coinciding with employee stupidity, which made law enforcement realize how shady everything was.

Bill Burr and Draft Kings relationship is priceless : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4eaKVyky7o

"Draft Kings breaking my balls. They don't like that I joke that they're a fucking gambling website... Why can't you be who you are Draft Kings?...Fucking skill based game..."

Bill Burr is a national treasure

Yo what was his joke about em though with Pete Rose in it he's referring to?

"Try Draft Kings, and use promo code PETE ROSE" ?
pachah1.png

Bill Burr and Draft Kings relationship is priceless : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4eaKVyky7o

"Draft Kings breaking my balls. They don't like that I joke that they're a fucking gambling website... Why can't you be who you are Draft Kings?...Fucking skill based game..."

Bill Burr is a national treasure

Bill Burr is the best.
"Draft Kings saying that it isn't gambling is like two people saying they aren't having sex, they are just seeing how their bodies fit together" lol

Bill Burr is the best.
"Draft Kings saying that it isn't gambling is like two people saying they aren't having sex, they are just seeing how their bodies fit together" lol

It's got skill...but it's also gambling. I mean, Black Jack has skill involved...but it's also gambling.

NickFire

This is pathetic big brother bullshit. I don't play either but have a ton of friends who do and all love it. So fucking what if they spend a few bucks a week. They seem to get many, many hours of enjoyment from it without harming anyone.

rrs

Use promo code "BIG DATA" to help us know what channel is full of the most profitable customers saps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom