• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFVII's Vincent Valentine had so much potential.

entremet

I know he got a spinoff game, but his scenario was so tragic and his conceit as a character held the most potential.

The tiny vignette you get in FFVII told so much and this a secret character. I almost want to track down the spinoff game but I avoided it due to terrible reviews.

His treatment is the one I look forward to most in FFVIIr, both in story and how he will play with the new battle system.

Any Vincent fans in the house? Do you feel his scenario was somewhat incomplete and worth rescoping for the remake? What would you want more fleshed out?

Vincent is so tragic.

I unironically like Dirge of Cerberus. Vincent's cool.

I assume they'll flesh out his character in the remake for sure.

Prototype

From a story and sledding perspective he's far and away my favorite character and I loved him as a kid playing the game. It's just too bad he sucked so hard in the game itself. His limit break, while cool, was worthless - why would I want to lose control of my character and have them do less damage per turn than literally almost any other option I could chose?
Should have let the player control him fully and given him access to magic/materia as well as limit breaks while transformed like some kind of power attack the various forms have.

I also played Dirge of Cerberus back in the day and whine the game wasn't great, I enjoyed playing as Vincent in an action game.

Hopefully he gets reworked in FF7R mechanically, his story is great and I hope they don't fuck it up or add unnecessary elements to it and ruin it with baggage.

Narroo

From a story and sledding perspective he's far and away my favorite character and I loved him as a kid playing the game. It's just too bad he sucked so hard in the game itself. His limit break, while cool, was worthless - why would I want to lose control of my character and have them do less damage per turn than literally almost any other option I could chose?
Should have let the player control him fully and given him access to magic/materia as well as limit breaks while transformed like some kind of power attack the various forms have.

I also played Dirge of Cerberus back in the day and whine the game wasn't great, I enjoyed playing as Vincent in an action game.

Hopefully he gets reworked in FF7R

I do think he could break the 9999 hp limit with his limit breaks. But yeah, loosing control over the character until he got KO'ed was awful.

Kayhan

Vincent got his game.

Now it's Tifa's turn.

I could get behind that.

3805121-1113594013-tifa_.jpg

Eylos

Banned
Yeah i agree they could show more of his story and development in ff7 RE, in 2021 we Will see he in part 2

Prototype

Tifa is boring character who just happens to have large breasts.
What would a spin off game staring her even revolve around? Running the bar? She's a bar-maid who knows some martial arts. Lol, maybe she could kick out drunks and trouble makers from the bar?

Peroroncino

His backstory and character itself was probably the best out of entire FFVII for me. Definitely my favorite character, and while DoC sucked as a game, I enjoyed it for the story a little bit, it kind of made him one of the most [if not the most] powerful character in the universe, which surprised me.

And I can't even count how many times I've watched this when I had my "edgy" pahse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYx79LUj8Is

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Vincent's story is one of the best of any side character. The Lucretia flashback was amazing if only for giving us more insight on Sephiroth's past and a small glimpse at pre-megacorp Shinra. Also, Turk Vincent is badass:

latest

He just got shafted because he was optional. Hint: if you take him to the fight with Hojo atop Shinra tower, you get some really cool optional dialogue where
he realizes that Hojo is Sephiroth's father, not himself. It ends with him saying "the one who should have slept... was you, Hojo!!!
Makes the encounter so much more poignant.

Ferrio

Banned
What would a spin off game staring her even revolve around? Running the bar? She's a bar-maid who knows some martial arts. Lol, maybe she could kick out drunks and trouble makers from the bar?

A God Hand type game?

Vic_Viper

going to check out Dirge of Cerberus here soon after I finish Crisis Core. Does it take place after Advent Children? I seem to remember hearing that it did but wasnt sure.

Eylos

Banned
I would like to see more development towards her kung fu master and training they only talk briefly

SougoXIII

How about her growing up with her teacher, traveling to midgar, meeting Barrett and Marlene and end up joining AVALANCHE?

Vincent already got his own game to 'shine' and that butcher up the lore even worst than what Genesis did. Furthermore, most of the his angst comes from Lucrecia being the dumbest/irrational woman on earth so I can't really feel sorry for him, only for the bad writing.

All in all, I'd rather not have anymore spinoffs consider how SE is completely rubbish with them (AC/ FFX 2.5 novel anyone?)

Willenium

this makes me wonder if you played the game at all.

Honestly, some more information about Reeve/Cait Sith would be pretty cool. It felt like the story didn't earn that "turn" at all. It was just "i'm spying on you, lol" *4 seconds later* "hmm, i actually think my bosses are bad. i am joining you for real now, lol."

Celcius

°Temp. member
They should retcon Dirge of Cerebus and expand his story in the remake (still optional though?).

Va-11hall-a with action combat segments? I'd play the shit out of that.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
We need a game starring Johnny and his adventures after leaving Sector 7

latest

My avatar has been of Vincent Valentine since I signed up.

image.php

He's one of my favorite party members in FF7, Aerith/Aeris and Vincent are my two favorite party members, and I love all of the party members in FF7!

Okay, all of them except Cait.

Peroroncino

My avatar has been of Vincent Valentine since I signed up.

image.php

He's one of my favorite party members in FF7, Aerith/Aeris and Vincent are my two favorite party members, and I love all of the party members in FF7!

Okay, all of them except Cait.

Cloud, Vincent and Red XIII was my go to team.

It's a shame FFXIII forever tainted Red's roman numerals for me though. :p

The entire cast had potential. Many FF casts do, but that one in particular. Almost any other property or medium would have been able to capitalize on the iconography of characters and worlds like this for generations. They have Wolverines and Batmans but don't have very long, or very many ways to regularly refine, redefine and define them as properties for decades... you know what I mean?

I honestly think Square needs a "Crisis of Infinite Earths" kind of thing that can blur their metaphorical golden and silver age conflicting renditions of all these icons into a shared universe of some kind that isn't just a non-sequitur dreamscape made primarily for Disney collaborations. Then the next icons to be can be introduced to what's established without needing an entire new universe each time, and an indisputable classic to cement them. imo they're sitting on a dynastic, 100-year gold mine that just needs to be consolidated, Disney-style.

Far flung idea, kinda off topic, but I think about that sometimes and your OP made me remember it.

Neff

Dirge of Cerberus isn't that bad imo. If judged against the better PS2 action games of the day, it falls way short, but it holds a certain appeal of its own. It's playable, and reasonably well put together if rather shallow and unambitious.

The most interesting characters in VII other than cloud

Tifa, Barrett, Red XIII

come at me

Add Aeris and you're gold. Everyone else sucks.

4Tran

Actually, I thought that Vincent was one of the weaker characters in the Final Fantasy VII cast. I think that this has a lot to do with how his mostly backstory without too much going in the present.

Tifa was kinda boring to be honest.
Tifa's weird and a bit crazy, but not boring. Tifa might seem boring in the post game material but not in the game itself.

The most interesting characters in VII other than cloud

Tifa, Barrett, Red XIII

come at me
I'd say that that Aeris is the most interesting - almost as much as Cloud himself. At the very least her depiction in the game is so much more complex than her treatment outside of it.

Yumi

Exactly! Think like a Yakuza game where you are dealing with the politics of the Midgar slumz, trying to keep the peace and make it a safer place for future generations like Marlene.

You could have memorable characters from the series show up at the bar offering or asking for help. I think it would be sick.

Top Bottom