• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Universe: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth Won't Feature Vincent Valentine As A Playable Character

Draugoth

Gold Member
VincentValentine.jpg

The Final Fantasy VII Rebirth development team have confirmed to Game Informer that Vincent Valentine won’t be playable in the upcoming PS5 sequel, although he’ll still make an appearance in the game as a companion like Red XIII in FFVII Remake.

Vincent appeared in the State of Play trailer for Final Fantasy VII Rebirth last week, and obviously got a lot of fans excited about the prospect of him being playable. However, Tetsuya Nomura confirmed this won’t be the case, although he will pop up as part of the game’s story.

Neilg

I wonder if he'll be DLC like yuffie was, or a totally standalone near full remake of dirge of Cerberus. there's an opportunity to give him a much more interesting combat style that would clash if he's also fitting into the main remake style.

Hudo

What is the point of that game, then?

I bet these motherfuckers will make him playable via DLC (like they did with Yuffie).

Lokaum D+

fuck Vincent, where is the most sexist and woman abuser of the entire franchise?

Do u guys think that Square ll portrait Cid as he was on OG FF7 or they ll change him ?

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
I had a suspicion they would be saving him for part 3 or a DLC. I'm guessing it'll be the same for Cid.

Sensei

I was kinda expecting it when they said that some characters would be guests, so I'm not disappointed.
Besides, I think 7 confirmed characters should be enough to carry me through the game, especially if they expanded the gameplay as it seems by the previews.
Plus we have Sephiroth, even if it's just for the tutorial section. Also Zack will likely be playable at some point, possibly with his own cast.

I'm guessing it'll be the same for Cid.

You don't have to guess. It's already confirmed by Nomura.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Vincent/Cid probably playable in Part 3.

Vincent has beef with Hojo and they might integrate Dirge subplot with Weiss and Deepground of which I suspect Vincent and Yuffie will be teaming up for. Yuffie as of Intermission will have beef with Deepground.

Vincent probably isn't ready yet since if they want to stick to his original Gameplay he will likely be shifting between Human and Monster forms of which he has 4.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Nice trailer bait. Everyone hyped to see him and we get an upsie.

Probably left for DLC à la intergrade.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
At this rate... I think I will wait for the complete edition. One decent price for the entire package. DLC and all. I don't experience FOMO. :messenger_sunglasses:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I might be the only one without nostalgia for that character, I completely skipped him when I played it ages ago and thought he was a character for a different FF for years lol

Because fuck you, give us more money for eventual DLC.

That's why.
Dont think its that, if its similar to Remake introducing a new character in an RPG late in the game dosen't make sense from a progression stand point. They covered this in detail about why they did this with Red in the first one.

The Yuffie DLC is not the same thing as that is optional content and she was not a part of the Midgar content in the original.

Vincent/Cid probably playable in Part 3.

Vincent has beef with Hojo and they might integrate Dirge subplot with Weiss and Deepground of which I suspect Vincent and Yuffie will be teaming up for. Yuffie as of Intermission will have beef with Deepground.

Vincent probably isn't ready yet since if they want to stick to his original Gameplay he will likely be shifting between Human and Monster forms of which he has 4.

It makes sense to me. Lots of work to add all of the characters and their playstyles, balancing the game with this in mind, plus saving some new elements for the final game in the trilogy. So we probably get Red XIII, Cait Sith, and Zack in Rebirth and I agree with Vincent and Cid in the finale.

JaksGhost

It was to be expected in a way. They're introducing 3 more playable characters with Sephiroth getting added to the pack now. With Yuffie now apart of the main cast that bumps it up to 4. He's supposed to be used in the same capacity as Red XIII in Remake so we'll be able to preview some of his mechanics even though he won't be playable. We have a whole Part 3 to get through so they have to save something.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I mean given we have a playable Sephiroth and come PC version you just know there will be mods to play Seph the whole game. And he seems to be super customizable down to spells, limit breaks, synergy attacks I kinda doubt longterm he will be a one time use party member. That's quite a bit of investment.

I think it's fair to save a few characters for a 3rd game leaving you hungry for more. And Vincent is one of the more popular FF7 characters.

A fully usable Yuffie, Cait Sith, Red XIII, Zack, Sephiroth is more then enough for me.

Zephir

Soooo....if Rebirth lasts 'till the Forgotten Capital, the options are...

-Vincent will be a guest from Nibelheim 'till the end, which means Mount Nibel, Rocket Town, the return to the Gold Saucer, the Temple of the Ancient, Bone Village, the Sleeping Forest, the Corel Valley and the Capital?
-They'll skip Cid and Rocket Town, crunching the post Nibelheim to give Vincent a reason to be guest-only
-Vincent is freed, he joins a bit, then he fucks off doing his business, joining again at the endgame (FFXV Gladio DLC moment)

Fbh

Disappointing but not unexpected since there was already a precedent for something like this with Red XIII in part 1

I thought they were no longer focusing on DLC?

Plans change though.
Back in May they also had no plans for FFXVI DLC and now they are actively working on it.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

I will wait the complete edition then...

Based on Part 1 there likely won't be a DLC that makes him playable in the main game. At most he might be playable in some sort of standalone DLC

Comandr

Soooo....if Rebirth lasts 'till the Forgotten Capital, the options are...

-Vincent will be a guest from Nibelheim 'till the end, which means Mount Nibel, Rocket Town, the return to the Gold Saucer, the Temple of the Ancient, Bone Village, the Sleeping Forest, the Corel Valley and the Capital?
-They'll skip Cid and Rocket Town, crunching the post Nibelheim to give Vincent a reason to be guest-only
-Vincent is freed, he joins a bit, then he fucks off doing his business, joining again at the endgame (FFXV Gladio DLC moment)
Yeah I'm really curious to see how the story is supposed to play out here if both Vincent and Cid are considered "Guest" characters for a ... strangely long time considering you'd meet them quite a while before reaching the Forgotten Capital. Furthermore, if they continue to extrapolate the gameplay the same way they did in the first one, that could be a much longer amount of actual game time than it was previously. They said the game's gonna be around 100 hours... is 50 of it going to be with unplayable guest characters? Odd decision. Makes me feel like the later story is going to change somewhat dramatically. Maybe events get shuffled around.

Minsc

Gold Member
They confirmed these characters as playable in Part 3, and he was a later game character in the original I believe? Not a big deal IMO. You'll have more characters than in part 1 as expected, and part 3 will have more than part 2.

Regardless since you can only have 3 at once, people get left out. Was one nice thing about FF:X you had all your party members available in combat every fight, so whenever you needed to exploit a weakness you'd be able to.

I also have a suspicion since he was a completely optional character in the OG, many won't even know they're supposed to get him at all haha.

Last edited:
Top Bottom