• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV first half is open-world, but the story follows a linear path in the latter half

Falk

that puzzling face
Because it didnt look and didnt feel like a hallway.

You know, I've been thinking about the contrast a bit more. I'd say in terms of pure mechanics, FFX was as much a corridor as XIII was, except it was a two way corridor.

In terms of narrative on the other hand, the biggest difference is that FFX's party are lauded by the people in that world, since they're seen as heroes
and no one talks about Yuna being a sacrifice lol
whereas in FFXIII, the party are pretty much fugitives from the start right up to when
they land on a planet with virtually no people left

I think while everything from writing (dislikeable characters yadda yadda) to pacing have some to do with it, the difference in reception of the party mandated by the setting is a big reason FFXIII feels so... desolate, for lack of a better word. When you're on the run, it makes less sense to be able to travel backwards.

Palompolum in particular really hammers that point home.

also HD towns are hard

edit: Even the sequels continue that trend. In FFX-2, Yuna is pretty much seens as a hero even while being a bit of a rogue. FFXIII-2... yay time travel, hard to give a shit about people who're going to be long-gone the moment you move forward in the narrative. LR, world is ending, almost everyone couldn't give two hoots about what happens anymore.

Still, Academia in XIII-2 was pretty damn atmospheric, and LR was actually pretty fun in all the complete nutjobs you did bear-ass fetch quests for.

Brocken

Banned
I have a feeling we were supposed to get a story trailer at Gamescom, but since they delayed the game and opted to have the master playable, it would make sense to have delayed that as well. If there isn't a big spoilery trailer at TGS though I'll be super wary. Japanese publishers and SE in particular don't care much about showing spoilers. I still remember that famitsu cover that was a giant spoiler for Type-0 right before the game came out in Japan.

What kind of spoiler was the one regarding Type 0 ?

People don't seem to understand the basic concept and i don't understand why. X's game design allowed it to flourish because it easily masked it flaws like a good game actually would. You don't notice your moving from point a to point b because the narrative is actually moving along.

You don't notice the story is always in the backround because they give you plenty of off the beaten path objectives like gaining extra summons or capturing monsters or fighting the dark summons, finding new areas via world map, playing blitzball, finding the secret weapons for all characters and completing the sphere grid, and the list goes and on.

There are towns, villages, a sense of progression, a sense of actual movement in the world, once you get the air ship you can go wherever you've been in the game world and explore all over again, and find new things as well.

With FF13, every area is empty besides monsters, there are no towns, the shops are in the save points with no interactivity, your only 'missions' off the beaten path are to fight different colored monsters you've already fought, and you don't even get to control all of your party until the game is more than halfway finished, and when you do get to the end game, you can only go back to two very limited areas you've been, and only to grind the crystarium.
This post is labeled facts only

I feel a big chunk of people are going to hate the game no matter how it turns out. For the simple fact that it has taken so long to be released since it was first announced, many people will require the game to be the most amazing thing ever for making them wait so long. All the delays have just led to a lot of cynicism. And that's fine if people wanna feel that way, but I can see the arguments already. There will be a great divide over this game. There already kinda is.

I think the game has a ton of potential and any time a game doesn't reach its potential, it's a bummer. I really hope they get this one right and hit a home run with it.

While I agree with what you say, I can't say they have made it easier for themselves. Being transparent has just kind of highlighted how much trouble they have been having bringing this game to fruition. I mean from the master version it seems they have downgraded some of the key visuals even further. They have also struggled to communicate exactly how the gameplay will incorporate any stratigical depth...

I will very likely get the game, but if it does significantly disappoint, then it is fair to say that SE really our out of touch and no longer top tier as they once were.

I think it might come ending up in another ffxiii repetition..Had so much hype for this game since the 1st tease..it all faded away :(

Fbh

Good. One of the few recent news about the game that actually gets me hyped to play it.

Screw open world games.

Turin

Banned
I'm not really for or against open world but there are many games that I think would have benefited from shaving it down a bit. I've almost always had a better time with tighter, more condensed open worlds.

Witcher 3, of course, is an impressive achievement in that the explorable world and the stories you come across are usually interesting or at least amusing.

Rising_Hei

I can honestly say that maybe 1% or less of the two entire playthroughs I did of that game involved manually selecting commands. The entire system was designed to function with auto-battle and properly-used paradigm shifts.

It was always more effective going manual, better ratings, too, unles you were fighting really easy monsters.

Hey guys, seems like a bit of new infos came from Tabata at the Dengeki event this weekend regarding the second half of the game. I don't know if already some of you knew it already, but according to this interview (in French) http://www.ffworld.com/2016/08/29/ffxv-compte-rendu-du-week-end-au-dengeki-premium-event/, the second half of the game will be more linear because the party will stop traveling by car and will instead travel by train :

À propos de la seconde partie du jeu
Tabata a annoncé dans une interview récente avec Famitsu que, si la première moitié de FFXV sera en monde ouvert, la seconde sera en faite plus linéaire. Lors de l’événement de Dengeki, il a apporté une petite précision : cette seconde partie sera en fait un voyage en train, et non plus en voiture, et l’histoire prendra de l’ampleur à cette occasion. Si Tabata tenait à profiter des bénéfices d’un monde ouvert pour le début du jeu, il a dit qu’il souhaitait aussi avoir une partie riche en histoire, à l’image des précédents Final Fantasy. Pour lui, FFXV sera donc une sorte d’expérience hybride.

artsi

Hey guys, seems like a bit of new infos came from Tabata at the Dengeki event this weekend regarding the second half of the game. I don't know if already some of you knew it already, but according to this interview (in French) http://www.ffworld.com/2016/08/29/ffxv-compte-rendu-du-week-end-au-dengeki-premium-event/, the second half of the game will be more linear because the party will stop traveling by car and will instead travel by train :

That's interesting, I wonder what the story reason will be.

JBwB

This has actually been known for a while now. It makes the "second half is linear" talk make a lot more sense.

What I'm curious about is whether we'll take the car along with us or leave it somewhere. Hell, I'm not even sure if we're going to be taking the car with us on the
boat ride to Altissia.

dramatis

To be honest, the car is basically a train, just with an open ceiling

That's interesting, I wonder what the story reason will be.

Maybe some major towns or cities will be only accessible by trains?

It's important also to know that Tabata is still promising side stuffs to do, even if the second half will be more linear.

Philippo

This has actually been known for a while now. It makes the "second half is linear" talk make a lot more sense.

What I'm curious about is whether we'll take the car along with us or leave it somewhere. Hell, I'm not even sure if we're going to be taking the car with us on the
boat ride to Altissia.

Considering how small the boat is, i don't think the car can fit into.
This is weird thought, leaving the car behind at 1/3rd-1/2 of the game and presumabily taking it back before the end kinda contradicts all they said about the car being an important part of the journey kinda lika a 5th party member.

Also, any other info from the article?

So that scene of a train going through a wintery landscape and a blizzard hitting the train is during the second half of the game.

artsi

This is weird thought, leaving the car behind at 1/3rd-1/2 of the game and presumabily taking it back before the end kinda contradicts all they said about the car being an important part of the journey kinda lika a 5th party member.

Maybe the car will come too, lol.

Hd2ukqQ.jpg

boat ride to Altissia.

My idea is the car is with us at the start. Eventually when you take the boat to Altissia I have a suspicion that Cid will want to begin work on an upgrade on the car. Then as we near the end, we get the flying car and can then enter the final area of the game.

Everything we already know, I guess.

First, next episode of Brotherhood will release at TGS and will focus on Noctis and what happen next just after the first episode.

Second, JMV will release tomorrow worldwide.

Third, the FPS from the master version is the same as the one presented at E3 (30 FPS with rez turning around 700p to 1080p on ps4, 30 FPS or so with rez turning around 756p to 900p on Xbone)

And last, Tabata says that the DLCs will be of great quality and that those will only be worked on when the full release will be out.

Ran rp

Considering how small the boat is, i don't think the car can fit into.

car is regis

cartransformation-53ebba2f4b9fe.gif

Top Bottom