• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA Women's World Cup 2015 Canada |OT| Blatter's Last Voyage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cystm

Remeber after this, a good majority of these athletes we've enjoyed watching in the World Cup are playing in the under appreciated National Women's Soccer League.

Please, please, please support them and watch them on Fox Sports and the Fox Sports Go app. TV schedule. You can also catch full matches and highlights on their Youtube channel. Edit: Thanks 8BitsAtATime.

NWSL teams and players:

Seattle Reign FC
Abby Wambach, Hope Solo, Megan Rapinoe are playing for this team. Keep watching and supporting them!​

Chicago Red Stars
Karina LeBlanc of the Canadian National Team, Shannon Boxx, Julie Johnston, and Christen Press are playing here!​

FC Kansas City
Becky Sauerbrunn, Amy Rodriguez, Lauren Holiday, and Yael Averbuch are here!​

Houston Dash
Morgan Brian, and Carli Lloyd are here!​

Portland Thorns FC
Nadine Angerer of the German National Team, Christine Sinclair of the Canadian National Team, Alex Morgan, Tobin Heath, and Rhian Wilkinson of the Canadian National Team are all here​

New Jersey Sky Blue FC
Christie Rampone, Samantha Kerr of the Australian National Team, and Kelley O'Hara are here!​

Washington Spirit
Arianna Romero and Verónica Pérez of the Mexican National Team, Ashlyn Harris, and Crystal Dunn are all here!​

You can Buy Tickets right here. Tickets are super affordable starting at $10.

The NWSL is the third attempt at a professional Soccer league for women in America and it's important to the growth of soccer in America that we support it and our women.

Quoting for the top of the page.

Lebron

Leave it to GAF to immediately have a discussion about how inferior the women players are to the men during the women's championship ceremony :lol shitlords

Fo real. U.S. women are just better at the sport than the men are. No need to get salty. They should hang out more so the men could actually learn how to win one.

elty

I think as women football improve Japan's advantage will decrease. This game proved that simply having great technical skill is no match to a side who has good technical skill and great athleticism. It will be hard for Japan to maintain the technical gap.

Not to mention their talent pool is much smaller.

Piggus

Leave it to GAF to immediately have a discussion about how inferior the women players are to the men during the women's championship ceremony :lol shitlords

It's fucking stupid. It's as if someone wins the 24 hours of Le Mans and people try to diminish the achievement by saying "yeah well F1 cars are faster." It's just a completely pointless comparison, but it seems some people are determined to diminish the achievement of these girls. Excuuuuuse us for actually giving a shit about female athletes.

Dartastic

Wow finally someone else is hyping NWSL about god damn time. You can also stream the matches on youtube
Fuck yeah. I've been a Thorns season ticket holder since year one, and every single time I've had a blast.
Quoting for the top of the new page.
You're doing good work here. Where do you live, who do you support? I do remember you being stoked about the Timbers before... I'm on my way to that game very shortly. :p

ALSO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD A JIM ROSS EDIT OF CARLY LLOYD SCORING THAT HAT TRICK.

I think as women football improve Japan's advantage will decrease. This game proved that simply having great technical skill is no match to a side who has good technical skill and great athleticism. It will be hard for Japan to maintain the technical gap.

They could but they need higher quality forwards and more pace in the team. It wouldn't hurt them to be more direct and move the ball forward quicker one to many passes allows teams to get back into position. They can't do much about there average height.

Tagyhag

"US Women are the champions? They could take on the men's teams easily!"

"No they can't"

"OMG WHY ARE PEOPLE SO SEXIST"

And this is coming from a woman who's not blind or biased.

It's fucking stupid. It's as if someone wins the 24 hours of Le Mans and people try to diminish the achievement by saying "yeah well F1 cars are faster." It's just a completely pointless comparison, but it seems some people are determined to diminish the achievement of these girls. Excuuuuuse us for actually giving a shit about female athletes.

If the fans of Le Mans said their cars could compete with the F1 cars would you agree?

elty

I thought someone claimed the USA women side was so good that they can replace themen team, which is definitely wrong. I don't recall anyone saying their achievement is worthless.

No one was diminishing the accomplishment of the USWNT.

Someone actually thought the USWNT could take on the men's, and we correctly told this poster how off base his comment was.

You're getting mad for no reason.

"No they can't"

This is the chain of events that I saw. I was happily celebrating (and still am) and then saw someone claiming that the women were good enough to beat men's teams. Which is just stupid. Of course that person was told off.

Dartastic

"No they can't"

I uh, got into a massive argument with a lot of people including my GF on Facebook about this a few days ago. ...yeah. I don't have much else to say about that except FUCK YEAH LADIES. U DA BESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Portugeezer

No. It's like if Serena Williams winning Wimbledon, then people congratulate her by saying she could take on Roger Federer... this is actually the opposite of what you protest; people think they need to compare the womens team to mens to amplify their accomplishment.

Now that, IMO, can fuck right off. There is no need for this, the womens team won their respective world cup!

I am also pretty sure this also started off as a joke. Go back and see the origins of whatever upsets you, quote that if you must and bring up an issue.

Kazerei

Banned
Sasic must be relieved to get the Golden Boot. She was so far ahead in the goal-scoring race, I remember thinking "dayum, Carli Lloyd needs to get a hat trick just to catch up" haha.

I'm happy for Buchanan, we are really going to need her in the years to come.

Piggus

So why hit submit on a reply in a Women's World Cup Final thread on GAF?

Your reply to RELAYER makes no sense then.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I just know a lot of people (mainly not from the U.S.) who think the women's team doing well doesn't mean anything because "people only care about men's soccer." That's where my frustration was coming from. Just needed to vent!

nilbog21

Banned
2 of those goals were chance. The rest were were very nice goals. Japan goal was pure class. Overall I think bracket was rigged in USA favor. Happy for our ladies though. That Carli whiff and commentator. God bless the US

Oersted

They could but they need higher quality forwards and more pace in the team. It wouldn't hurt them to be more direct and move the ball forward quicker one to many passes allows teams to get back into position. They can't do much about there average height.

Height is an overvalued issue. Friggin Messi scores headers and Lahm is still one of the best defenders alongside with Alves. Meanwhile Crouch... lol

Kevyt

I thought someone claimed the USA women side was so good that they can replace themen team, which is definitely wrong. I don't recall anyone saying their achievement is worthless.

No one was diminishing the accomplishment of the USWNT.

Someone actually thought the USWNT could take on the men's, and we correctly told this poster how off base his comment was.

You're getting mad for no reason.

This is the chain of events that I saw. I was happily celebrating (and still am) and then saw someone claiming that the women were good enough to beat men's teams. Which is just stupid. Of course that person was told off.

No. It's like if Serena Williams winning Wimbledon, then people congratulate her by saying she could take on Roger Federer... this is actually the opposite of what you protest; people think they need to compare the womens team to mens to amplify their accomplishment.

Now that, IMO, can fuck right off. There is no need for this, the womens team won their respective world cup!

I am also pretty sure this also started off as a joke. Go back and see the origins of whatever upsets you, quote that if you must and bring up an issue.

It was my post that started it all:

Now if only the US men's team was this good...

Can the girls team instead play for the boys and replace them? lol. :p

I was hoping for the last part that the lol and :p would give it off as a joke.

But I was also wondering if the discrepancy was that big and said that maybe the woman's team could take on a men's team. I was told that there is indeed a huge discrepancy.

But at no point was my intention to diminish what the US national Woman's team has achieved today.

Sorry for all the trouble my posts caused! ;_;

Height is an overvalued issue. Friggin Messi scores headers and Lahm is still one of the best defenders alongside with Alves. Meanwhile Crouch... lol
As is often said, it's not about size, it's how you use it. Messi has tons of skill and a well controlled body, while Crouch always seems like a gangly mess.

Brashnir

2 of those goals were chance. The right were were very nice goals. Japan goal was pure class. Overall I think bracket was rigged in USA favor. Happy for our ladies though. That Carli whiff and commentator. God bless the US

To the bolded - Wait, what? Are you insane? The US was in the hardest group, and had Germany and France both on their half of the draw. This is an absolutely silly thing to say.

giga

2 of those goals were chance. The rest were were very nice goals. Japan goal was pure class. Overall I think bracket was rigged in USA favor. Happy for our ladies though. That Carli whiff and commentator. God bless the US

tumblr_m017nabcz11rqrnlao4_r1_250.gif

FootballFan

Congrats to usa gaf, a shame the threads discussion is turning into a women's vs men's thing now.

Usa's woman's team is the best in the world, no doubt.

Oersted

As is often said, it's not about size, it's how you use it. Messi has tons of skill and a well controlled body, while Crouch always seems like a gangly mess.

Low centre can be an advantage due to low gravity centre. Messi, Ribery etc. Being taller is obviously an advantage as a goalie, see Buffon, Neuer, or like we just saw, Solo.

Its a good old depends.

Entertained by this wwc will definitely keep track of these teams progress. Looking forward to catch even more football at the Olympics

Clearos

I see the brazilian coach got a gaf account.

uniform

Leroux joining in the U-S-A chant is the most disgusting thing I've ever seen

I don't understand, why? Excuse any potential ignorance, but from what I've read she holds dual citizenship and realized her dream of playing for a much better country. Does being a star on a mediocre Canadian national team come close to winning a World Cup with the greatest women's team in the world?

Oh, and also the recognition endorsements and national exposure in the US gets you. Hell, I'm Canadian and couldn't name a single Canadian player prior to this tournament, yet knew the names of several US players, including Leroux. Whatever the future holds for Leroux, she's accomplished her dream with the country she chose. I'd be chanting U-S-A too.

Nesotenso

Fo real. U.S. women are just better at the sport than the men are. No need to get salty. They should hang out more so the men could actually learn how to win one.

its a different game for men and women. The US women are good but the rest of the world is really bad when it comes to the women's game.

elty

To the bolded - Wait, what? Are you insane? The US was in the hardest group, and had Germany and France both on their half of the draw. This is an absolutely silly thing to say.
US and Canada does not need to face seeded team until semi final, because their group is chosen instead of randomly drawn.

Germany and france are also rigged to face each other in quarter.

Brashnir

US and Canada does not need to face seeded team until semi final, because their group is chosen instead of randomly drawn.

Yeah, let's just ignore all of the quality teams in their group, and the fact that they ran into the #1 team in the world in the Semifinal.

Get fucked. Seriously.

If any team in the tournament got screwed by a bad draw it was Nigeria.

elty

Yeah, let's just ignore all of the quality teams in their group, and the fact that they ran into the #1 team in the world in the Semifinal.

Get fucked. Seriously.
Doesn't changed the fact that FIFA rigged the group for seeded team, instead of randomly drawn like the men's world cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom