• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fight Club = Calvin and Hobbes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
http://www.kindofcrap.com/fightcalvin.html

In the movie Fight Club, the real name of the protagonist (Ed Norton's character) is never revealed. And while some feel the only reason behind this is to give the character more of an "everyman" quality, I say, do not be deceived. Because it's obvious to anyone with working eyes that "Jack" is actually someone whom many of us grew up with, someone who might've been present at all your childhood breakfasts of Sugar Frosted Chocolate Bombs. You see, "Jack" from Fight Club and Calvin from the greatest comic strip ever, "Calvin and Hobbes," are in fact the exact same person! You have doubts, I'm sure. Well, that's to be expected. But laugh now, for by the time you finish reading this page, I will prove to you beyond a shadow of a doubt that Ed Norton is indeed playing the part of grown-up Calvin.

Warning: The page contains spoilers for those two people who never saw Fight Club.

Miguel

"Warning: The page contains spoilers for those two people who never saw Fight Club."

There's another one? I always thought I was alone. :(

fart

Savant
please don' t mix the genius of bill watterson up with chuck palhnahinasidfnook's hackish trope.

belgurdo

Banned
Why did Watterson stop making that comic? Something about being against the establishment and not wanting to sink to Jim Davis levels or something?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
While I liked Fight Club, Calvin and Hobbes is the greatest comic strip ever...hands down! And a close second goes to the Far Side

Blackace said:
While I liked Fight Club, Calvin and Hobbes is the greatest comic strip ever...hands down! And a close second goes to the Far Side
pfft, everyone knows Marmaduke is where it's at

marmaduke.gif

Ecrofirt

I enjoy the single-panel Herman comics a great deal. I'm not, however, a fan of the multi-panel Herman comics that appear on weekends.

Guzim

Miguel said:
"Warning: The page contains spoilers for those two people who never saw Fight Club."

You're not missing much.

belgurdo said:
Why did Watterson stop making that comic? Something about being against the establishment and not wanting to sink to Jim Davis levels or something?

It seems like all the good ones quit. Gary Larson's Farside was my favorite and he quit awhile ago.

GDGF

Soothsayer
belgurdo said:

Something about longing for the days when each individual comic in the paper filled up an entire page, and him not having enough canvas to do Calvin and Hobbes justice anymore, plus I think his publisher wanted to market his stuff on tshirts and coffee mugs and the like, but he wasn't having any of that. The man was probably a bit burned out too after doing the strip for over a decade. I loved it, though. Best comic strip ever.

andthebeatgoeson

Miguel said:

I'm right with ya, dog.

Lost Weekend said:
Something about longing for the days when each individual comic in the paper filled up an entire page, and him not having enough canvas to do Calvin and Hobbes justice anymore, plus I think his publisher wanted to market his stuff on tshirts and coffee mugs and the like, but he wasn't having any of that. The man was probably a bit burned out too after doing the strip for over a decade. I loved it, though. Best comic strip ever.

In one of his last books, he talks extensively about it. I should write it up but you basically had the gist of it. He took exception to newspapers forcing comics onto 2 pages (since they don't sell), reducing the amount of space for each comic and the demands of doing a daily comic, among other things.

Soul4ger

Lost Weekend said:

Yeah, Watterson always liked making his strips sprawl all over the place, and people gave him shit because it toyed with their format. Especially his Sunday strips. I know that was at least ONE of the reasons he quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom