• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 13-19 | This Netkode Is An Injustice

Dahbomb

Saw this discussion on Twitter.

How affected do players that rely on Select plink be at Evo?

I know Sako has like 4 extra buttons to help plink for Elena.

Bonchan apparently select plinks with Sagat

Daigo select plinks with E Ryu

etc
Woah woah...

They are banning select plinks at EVO? I am late to this news, can anyone fill me in?

Dahbomb

Touchpad usually substitutes for the Select button in most games.

Though thinking about it, it's very possible that select plinking might not be in the game. Capcom could've used this opportunity to remove it from the game yet pass the blame on the PS4 ("but it wouldn't have been possible on the PS4 anyway!").

it think its the touchpad, which most fighting sticks do not support
Did not know this... you said "most" so you are saying that some do support it?

BadWolf

BALA saying he's "gonna try to make it" at EVO this year

https://twitter.com/balaLuisito/status/588862503700066304

Oh man that would be so good.

Even though it will be a side tournament there will be a lot of strong players there. Cafe Id will be helping stream so MADkof and crew will probably be there. Xiao Hai and Tokido will be there for SF4 so they might enter as well. Not to mention Misterio, Luis Cha etc. This could be big.

I thought it was 5, which isn't in time yet

Yeah, 5 years was the number mentioned before but I doubt he would mention it now if there wasn't a chance.

There is no "select" button on an official PS4 controller.

The Hori FC4 (compatible on both PS3 and PS4) has a "share" button where select would be.

My guess is that there is no definition for a "select" input on PS4, but programmers can decide to use the touchpad-click instead. I'm also guessing that the PS4 port of SF4 did not involve reprogramming an input that wasn't intended...

Card Boy

Banned
Can't believe how many times I bought SF4 and I suck at fighters!

Had

- Original SF4 PS3 disc
- Super SF4 PS3 disc
- SF4 AE PS3 disc
- SF4 AE Xbox 360 digital

And I plan on buying Ultra SF4 on PS4. Most bought game by me more so than Final Fantasy 7.

Uraizen

Banned
I am paying out $1100 to a dentist this month. Hopefully insurance will cover some of that.

Yeah, I know it's expensive as hell, I just don't know how much he has to pay out of pocket.

I think the Select button is mapped to something else on the PS4 software?

I remember the top players talking about this right when Evo announced it'll be the PS4 ver for Evo

Buttons can be remapped via the PS4 OS itself. So I imagine they'll just take advantage of that. If they can't... then they're gonna have to suck it up and plink the old way.

DunpealD

Saw this discussion on Twitter.

How affected do players that rely on Select plink be at Evo?

I know Sako has like 4 extra buttons to help plink for Elena.

Bonchan apparently select plinks with Sagat

Daigo select plinks with E Ryu

etc

Daigo and Bonchan probably not so much, since they are also arcade players which probably makes it as easy as changing pants. I'd be more worried about the players that are used to console play + select plinking.

Seyavesh

Daigo and Bonchan probably not so much, since they are also arcade players which probably makes it as easy as changing pants. I'd be more worried about the players that are used to console play + select plinking.

i swear i've heard that you can actually select plink on arcade cabs with the start button

though the viability of that is something else entirely i guess

『Inaba Resident』;160562419 said:
So apparently a lot of the frame data listed in MKX is straight up wrong.
Not sure how a developer manages to do that.
I thought they actually tied those values to in-game variables instead of exporting from framedata.xls this time around?

IIRC Injustice had that problem.

How the fuck does NRS manage to do this twice?

I thought they actually tied those values to in-game variables instead of exporting from framedata.xls this time around?

I have no idea. I'm just going by what I'm reading on various forums. For example, I see people talking about how some of Kung Jin's moves are supposed to be -6 on block yet they get blown up by 12 frame moves.

LegatoB

『Inaba Resident』;160565065 said:
As I understand it, at least part of the issue is that in NRM games, some moves leave the opponent in a "hit" state, where after a certain number of frames, they can block high or low but can't take any other action. But the game still calls this "frame advantage" for the attacking player. It's dumb.

Dahbomb

『Inaba Resident』;160562419 said:
So apparently a lot of the frame data listed in MKX is straight up wrong.
Not sure how a developer manages to do that.

Happened with Injustice too... not all that surprising.

Shouta

I told the JPs at FR about select plinking not being around for the PS4 version possibly and the first thing they said was "Poor Bonchan, how is he gonna be able to play Sagat now!?" lol

Anne

i swear i've heard that you can actually select plink on arcade cabs with the start button

though the viability of that is something else entirely i guess

You can, I remember testing this out and being amused. From my understanding of it you don't need a select button exactly, you just need a button that the game registers as occurring but can't be assigned to a command. Select does this, in arcades start does this since it does nothing once you start playing.

True hitsun by and large doesn't exist in NRS games. It's a way of simplifying the concept of a "combo".

Traditional method: Some of your moves grant enough time for you to combo other things if you practice.

MK method: X combos to Y pretty much always, just dial it in (including the special at the end). Frame data is still there for neutral situations, such as after you block a string will your d+1 win or will theirs. It also measures the length of staggers during which you can guarantee chip or position yourself favorably.

That said, the dash-cancel stuff does seem to be true hitstun for every character that can do it. And, probably 10% of the frame data numbers are still off.

Clawww

『Inaba Resident』;160565065 said:

I have no idea. I'm just going by what I'm reading on various forums. For example, I see people talking about how some of Kung Jin's moves are supposed to be -6 on block yet they get blown up by 12 frame moves.

incompetence or something

petghost

Banned
True hitsun by and large doesn't exist in NRS games. It's a way of simplifying the concept of a "combo".

Traditional method: Some of your moves grant enough time for you to combo other things if you practice.

MK method: X combos to Y pretty much always, just dial it in (including the special at the end).

That said, the dash-cancel stuff does seem to be true hitstun for every character that can do it.

This is really strange. Do counter hits exist in mkx and do they effect what can combo into what?

LegatoB

What the heck is plinking?
In SF4, if you press a button lower in the input priority chain (HK->HP->MK->MP->LK->LP->Select) on the frame after you press another button, it counts the "higher" button as being pressed two frames in a row. This means every link becomes 1 frame "longer." As you can imagine, this is really, really useful for characters with lots of tight links once you practice it.

Anne

That buffer system exists in SF4 in order to make 2 button combinations more reliabe, so if you tried to throw but the buttons were a frame apart, the game would just register the input again as both buttons on the same frame.

DunpealD

In SF4, if you press a button lower in the input priority chain (HK->HP->MK->MP->LK->LP->Select) on the frame after you press another button, it counts the "higher" button as being pressed two frames in a row. This means every link becomes 1 frame "longer." As you can imagine, this is really, really useful for characters with lots of tight links once you practice it.

Light attacks have the lowest priorities. So usually you can't plink them, but later people found out the select button is viable too and has lowest priority. So in the end light attacks are plinkable too. Thus the Bonchan remarks and cr.lp.

Top Bottom