• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Apr 13-19 | This Netkode Is An Injustice

Alright real talk time.

Do you guys think USF4 will see play at EVO past EVO 2017? Especially given that SFV is slated to be released in early 2016.

Why or why not... post your thoughts.

Don't think anything past 1 year of sf5 release. You're just taking up a spot for another main stage game. Plus by that point 2 years into sf5 release, the playerbase of sf4 shouldve have moved on, unless sf5 is terrible

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Do you guys think USF4 will see play at EVO past EVO 2017? Especially given that SFV is slated to be released in early 2016.

EVO doesn't seem keen on bringing back old games in general.

Wizard has even made some pointed remarks about how he kind of hopes that the Smash scene can "move on" in the future. So, unless SF4 can still guarantee an easy 1000+ after SF5 hits the market (not likely), that game is on its way out.

ShinMaruku

Capcom's hands are tied with Marvel and as for sfxt, I don't think that game ever had it's own player base. Which is why it died it had too much people wanting sf4.

NEO0MJ

I think EVO 2016 will be its last EVO appearance, a nice farewell tourney with some spacial events. It would seem redundant to have two games from the same series afterwards, especially considering how coveted EVO spots are. It'll have Teeken 7, Sm4sh, Mortal Kombat X, Guilty Gear Xrd, Killer Instinct, King of Fighter XIV, and who knows what else. I'm sure Capcom have another multi-platform fighter in the works as well.
Plus, Capcom would want to direct all attention to its new game, and Sony as well. They didn't buy exclusivity for the new Street Fighter to have it share the spotlight with an older game.

EVO doesn't seem keen on bringing back old games in general.

Wizard has even made some pointed remarks about how he kind of hopes that the Smash scene can "move on" in the future. So, unless SF4 can still guarantee an easy 1000+ after SF5 hits the market (not likely), that game is on its way out.
It would be great if Sakurai could make some tweaks to Smash 4 to please Melee enthusiasts so everyone could focus on one title.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
13777_1588963064682953_2861121492730436397_n.jpg

Alright real talk time.

I hope so. Game is still alive and full of life tbh.

More updates pls

& Conceited confirmed Smug's #1 fan

Dahbomb

So basically we are never going to have a MVC2 type EVO run again?

Damn I guess we are never actually going to have an EVO game that runs for 10 years....

Hilarious to say it but MVC3 actually has the best shot... it's already half way there!

Damn I guess we are never actually going to have an EVO game that runs for 10 years....

Hilarious to say it but MVC3 actually has the best shot... it's already half way there!

Nothing will replace MvC3 until MvC4 comes out. I think it could go 10 years. There's nothing like it out there except for Skullgirls, which is unlikely to be revitalized when the PS4 version comes out. Especially since the Skullgirls team isn't even talking about the game's future, and they're on the last DLC character.

Skilletor

If sf5 plays different enough from sf4, I can see it lasting another year or two. The game is still open, new people and new characters are being played. It's nowhere near leaned out at this point.

We should have made predictions for infinites and bugs for MKX. This is just a pretty funny corner combo someone found, not yet there but I wouldn't be surprised if someone finds a 100% somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc6e4cgVRjg

The funny thing is I remember on SRK or maybe Orochinagi (most likely a crossover of both) people would make bets on how fast someone would find some infinite in KOF12 and 13 when it came out. The reasoning they did that is because it's KOF, there's gonna be something busted, it's just a matter of time. Pretty much any fighting game would work because they all usually have something pretty stupid in it (vanilla street fighter 4 infinites on Abel because of his hitbox or something goofy).

But since their is dlc coming down the pipeline, anyone have a guess on which character would most likely have something stupid like an infinite and how long it would take to be found? DLC characters have a good track record of being pretty strong (Team $15 or Kokopuffs) or have something overlooked (like Batgirl infinite).

If sf5 plays different enough from sf4, I can see it lasting another year or two. The game is still open, new people and new characters are being played. It's nowhere near leaned out at this point.
All the money will be attached to SFV, though, which will make SFIV players move on.

Dahbomb

I personally see USF4 hanging on until 2017 which would tie it with MVC2 for most EVO entries.

And yeah I agree that we have not seen the max potential of USF4 quite yet. Too many characters that have not had their due nor have they been pushed to the limit yet.

We should have made predictions for infinites and bugs for MKX.
What predictions?

Game will have infinites, crazy block strings, bugs, character imbalances and mediocre netcode day 1 of the game. After the patch who knows really.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
It would be great if Sakurai could make some tweaks to Smash 4 to please Melee enthusiasts so everyone could focus on one title.

I like that the games are different, and I actually like that the Smash scene is capable of supporting two different games at once. (I also get the impression that the Melee crowd could never be "pleased" in this regard anyway.)

But on that note: if some of the equipment effects could be moved to a universal options menu in Special Smash or something instead of being tied to equipment, it could be kind of interesting. I know that there are fans of what Smooth Lander brings to the table.

I personally see USF4 hanging on until 2017 which would tie it with MVC2 for most EVO entries.

What predictions?

Game will have infinites, crazy block strings, bugs, character imbalances and mediocre netcode day 1 of the game. After the patch who knows really.

I know it would get fixed especially with patches in the modern era. Back then it was pretty funny to see people guess a date if something dumb is found because something dumb is guaranteed to be found in every game. It's why the early days of a fighting game are pretty fun, a lot of people are trying to find something new and stupid so they can get an advantage. I don't think any game really has escaped this cycle unless it was an update or revision of a previous version, and even there is a good chance goofier things accidentally get added.

NEO0MJ

Nothing will replace MvC3 until MvC4 comes out. I think it could go 10 years. There's nothing like it out there except for Skullgirls, which is unlikely to be revitalized when the PS4 version comes out. Especially since the Skullgirls team isn't even talking about the game's future, and they're on the last DLC character.

I'm sure Capcom is planning a VS style game, even if it won't feature a crossover.

And there's a chance Lab 0 is working on a new IP. Their poll seems to indicate that.

I like that the games are different, and I actually like that the Smash scene is capable of supporting two different games at once. (I also get the impression that the Melee crowd could never be "pleased" in this regard anyway.)

But on that note: if some of the equipment effects could be moved to a universal options menu in Special Smash or something instead of being tied to equipment, it could be kind of interesting. I know that there are fans for what Smooth Lander brings to the table.
That is what I was thinking as well (re: equipment).

The thing is, I feel like Melee and Smash 4 both could use some tweaking, and that the best Smash game is a happy median.

Oh, and I got rid of the SD clause for S3 Ranbats, FYI.

I'm sure Capcom is planning a VS style game, even if it won't feature a crossover.

And there's a chance Lab 0 is working on a new IP. Their poll seems to indicate that.
Yeah, they're working on a new IP, but is it a new fighting game IP? That is what has me skeptical.

All signs point to Capcom having a VS-style Capcom game in the works, but then they canned it after SFxT sold poorly. SFxT has basically ruined everything good Capcom had in fighting games. ;-P

The top players, maybe. I don't see sf4 struggling to make numbers comparable to every fighter not Capcom right now, even after sf5.
Top players move on to get $$$$, new players move on because that's what they do. A few middling players will stick around because they'll be too scared of leaving their SFIV glory days behind.

MvC2 got dropped crazy hard after MvC3 released. I remember it was so bad that JWong abandoned his MvC2 grand finals at Winter Brawl (IIRC) just to watch Marvel 3 play. And that was MvC2's last major.

Nyoro SF

Though some may like it or not Smash Melee pulls it in big, it would not surprise me at all to see it last 10 years if the support is there.

Shackzam

I thought someone at LabZero was quoted saying that they would probably work on Skullgirls sequel after the dlc because of autumn games getting out of that weird financial fiasco.

I think America has a really good chance at winning SFV Evo if it's;

1. Trash
2. No Arcade Release

I just don't have hope for SFV rn tbh

Pappasman

We wouldn't. Tbh the only thing I would change would be to add some more competitively viable stages. Other than that, yeah, imo Melee is as close to perfect as a game can get for me.

CO_Andy

USF4 could hang around for another year, but with so many new fighters being released, why bother?

The game doesn't have a massive, diehard audience that refuses to move on (*cough* Melee).

USF4 could hang around for another year, but with so many new fighters being released, why bother?

The game doesn't have a massive, diehard audience that refuses to move on (*cough* Melee).

Because theres not another game to move onto lol.

I can see people sticking with it if SFV ends up being garbo

fader

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Alright real talk time.

Yes. There's going to be a huge amount of people who do not convert over to SF5, as the gameplay systems will be different than SF4. Seeing as SF4 was a fighting resurgence, a ton of new players came into the scene very fast. Many will continue to play the old one as the jarring differences will be too much, just how many dedicate time/energy to classics like ST and 3S and didn't continue to SF4. Going from master to noob is tough to swallow for many people. The scene will remain big enough to support SF4 for some time.

smurfx

get some go again
so what happens if SF5 is a commercial failure? or its sales are really disappointing? will capcom be done with fighting games for the new gen?

NEO0MJ

so what happens if SF5 is a commercial failure? or its sales are really disappointing? will capcom be done with fighting games for the new gen?

If they take some ques from Mortal Kombat the game can still find success. If they don't sales could be middling and Capcom would drop fighters for good. They have such insane sales expectations these days.

Dahbomb

Yes. There's going to be a huge amount of people who do not convert over to SF5, as the gameplay systems will be different than SF4. Seeing as SF4 was a fighting resurgence, a ton of new players came into the scene very fast. Many will continue to play the old one as the jarring differences will be too much, just how many dedicate time/energy to classics like ST and 3S and didn't continue to SF4. Going from master to noob is tough to swallow for many people. The scene will remain big enough to support SF4 for some time.
Yea but in those examples (like 3rd Strike), they have not been seen on the EVO regular roster after SF4 came up. So even though enough people played those games it wasn't enough to include them in the main EVO line up.

Though I am still with you in that SF4 being the game that blew up EVO would mean that it will stay a bit after SFV has arrived.

I think the quote about SF4 being "everybody's second-favorite game" is generally correct, and it wouldn't surprise me if the game loses the majority of its player base very quickly after SF5 comes out, even if SF5 is total garbage. It seems like a lot of people were really hungry for SFxT to be the game that replaces SF4, even though there was very evidently a lot of stuff wrong with the game conceptually before people even got to figuring it out. Look at how quickly 3s and CVS2 disappeared after SF4 came out, even though both were the main games for the SF crowd, and I don't think SF4 will be remembered as fondly as those games were.

Also, wasn't Capcom FGC way more hostile to other games in the past? I feel like people at least try new games now before dropping it after 6 weeks to go back to SF4.

Dahbomb

If we had gotten CVS3 instead of SFxT, everyone probably would of dropped SF4 (unless it turned out to be garbagio).
Everyone would NOT have dropped SF4 for CvS3 just like everyone didn't drop SF4 for MvC3.

CvS2 wasn't even as big as either 3rd Strike or MVC2 back in the dark ages. With the way stream monsters are these days, they would've booed out a CvS3 from stream if it played anything like CvS2..

Besides all these games have different appeals.

Infinite

ngl right now in it's current state SFV looks garbage. Hope Capcom can turn it around because I really do want for that game to be good.

Dahbomb

SFV just needs to increase the walk speeds then it would be good. I like the exaggerated counter hit effects in it, that's the type of stuff that actually makes the game easier to get into and easy to spectate.

vocab

I don't think SFV will be big or even grow the genre to where it needs to be. The next big fighting game will do some drastic shit, but I'm not sure what. It needs to have a self sustainable online eco system though. Capcom is honestly really behind everyone else despite SFIV being the biggest fighting game, They got a lot to prove after SFXT when it comes to new ideas.

If they can make a deep but simplistic game without the arbitrary difficulty that SFIV has, then I could see good things,but I don't think SFV is that game. I'm still disappointed they never really polished SFIV's mechanics. Tighten the input system at least. They did it by a character basis instead of the entire game. There's just so much things that turn me off from ever playing the game for more than 30 mins here and there.

Dahbomb

I don't think SFV will be big or even grow the genre to where it needs to be. The next big fighting game will do some drastic shit, but I'm not sure what. It needs to have a self sustainable online eco system though. Capcom is honestly really behind everyone else despite SFIV being the biggest fighting game, They got a lot to prove after SFXT when it comes to new ideas.
You got that right.

The answer is a Blizzard or Valve made fighting game.

Not gonna lie I would play a Blizzard fighting game. Let me main Illidan son!

Manbig

Then I suppose the smart thing for developers to do, going forward, is to continually maintain their fanbase for each game with content and balance updates.

Honestly, I would be totally okay with this. I wouldn't mind more fighting games adopting the KI season model and then come out with proper sequels once every 4 or 5 years.

NEO0MJ

You got that right.

The answer is a Blizzard or Valve made fighting game.

Not gonna lie I would play a Blizzard fighting game. Let me main Illidan son!

That's probably true. No fighting game pub ever figured out how to make their games popular and enticing to the public.

This already got patched out IIRC

Not surprised, since I believe they had a way to patch without updating for MK9. I won't be surprised if they are keeping an eye out for something else that pop up then trying to fix it then. I'm looking forward to see people go in on a game and find whatever weird things since the honeymoon phase is going to kick in for MKX. By honeymoon phase, I don't mean to imply that people will drop it. Just describing how the start is when everyone is most excited and digging in. For example everyone I knew at a local were having fun with SFXT on the release day tournament then a week later, people were like, "I'm sick of these fucking jabs!".

Top Bottom