• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Aug 18-24 | Fall back, u nerd

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've never understood the appeal of tag games with no assist or more significant synergistic mechanics. It's not really satisfying to me, you just end up withering down two separate life bars and tagging inbetween them when you're in danger. Would rather just play a 1v1 game.

I've never understood the appeal of tag games with no assist or more significant synergistic mechanics. It's not really satisfying to me, you just end up withering down two separate life bars and tagging inbetween them when you're in danger. Would rather just play a 1v1 game.

I thought that 2 vs 2 fights in sfxt was the most exciting aspect of the game because of the risk and spreading of responsibility between partners. But otherwise I agree

kirblar

I thought that 2 vs 2 fights in sfxt was the most exciting aspect of the game because of the risk and spreading of responsibility between partners. But otherwise I agree
Both TTT2 and SFxT have super-high damage off hits because of the twin lifebars, pushing players towards a super-safe neutral game. (I've come to believe that the TTT2 pro wrestling style of life bars isn't actually a good one.)

Rhapsody

Banned

It could be worse. It could be like how Capcom Fighting Jam was lol

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
In other news, there's going to be an invitational tourney for Virtua Fighter 3 Team Battle in September.
I know mid-September is still a ways off, but after reading toddhunter's spotlight, I thought it'd be funny to mention that it's a single player tourney - pretty sure that means it's 1v1, but the game lets you pick characters in triplicate, so they could just run it that way as well.

No knocks against the game itself, though - I've always heard good things about the arcade version, and it held up in Japan until VF4 came out. VF hasn't had a team-centric update since then, though, so maybe toddhunter's onto something.
in japan team tournaments are the norm over singles and even if the games themselves haven't been team centric, every VF has been primarily run single elim teams. SBO, Athena/Beat Tribe cup, the Bay Area cups all run teams.

I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that the 3tb invitational is singles, but I assure you that ain't the norm.

Was it Gamespot who run a KOF-style 3rd Strike tournament where you pick a team of three characters (in the latest revision of the rules you can pick the same character multiple times but you have to pick a different super each time) and battle it out?

in japan team tournaments are the norm over singles and even if the games themselves haven't been team centric, every VF has been primarily run single elim teams. SBO, Athena/Beat Tribe cup, the Bay Area cups all run teams.

I am surprised and somewhat disappointed that the 3tb invitational is singles, but I assure you that ain't the norm.

I thought that sounded weird, good to know.
It's bound to be a good event anyway - I recognize some of the featured player's names, and they're real killers.

LordJim

I liked Kizuna encounter's Tag Zone (aka, tags only worked there)
And as long as resources are need for emergency tagging (be it meter or specific points you have per round) and normal tagging is unsafe, it's already interesting enough to me

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I thought that sounded weird, good to know.
It's bound to be a good event anyway - I recognize some of the featured player's names, and they're real killers.

For the record whenever I play 3tb I usually just pick the same character 3 times lol. I wonder if there's an option in the DC version to just do 1v1. I am fairly certain that the arcade version of 3tb allows 1v1 toggle in the config screen.

but, of course, that's because i don't comfortably switch between 3 characters. team tournaments are dope! we ran teams last night at NYG9 and it was WAY more exciting than singles. everyone was going nuts when Entity ran the gauntlet against this other team.

edit/ nvm, i think you were watching!

For the record whenever I play 3tb I usually just pick the same character 3 times lol. I wonder if there's an option in the DC version to just do 1v1. I am fairly certain that the arcade version of 3tb allows 1v1 toggle in the config screen.

but, of course, that's because i don't comfortably switch between 3 characters. team tournaments are dope! we ran teams last night at NYG9 and it was WAY more exciting than singles. everyone was going nuts when Entity ran the gauntlet against this other team.

edit/ nvm, i think you were watching!

Yeah, I tuned into Day 3 in the middle of that set, very exciting.

I think the DC port actually has 1v1 as the default, and Team Battle as a separate option.

Anne

Uhhh wow. I can only imagine how much crazier the game can get from here.

This actually about as nuts as it gets as far as "why the fuck did I just die" goes.

The Elizabeth player dropped his Hamaon in the last round, right? That would've been the perfect end lol.

It's apparently a combo that guarantees her instant-kill super.

He never had a chance to go for it in the last round so it just didn't happen. Hama combos have been a thing since vanilla, they just became more of a thing in P4U2 because Liz doesn't poop out 9k from every hit.

OceanBlue

This actually about as nuts as it gets as far as "why the fuck did I just die" goes.

He never had a chance to go for it in the last round so it just didn't happen. Hama combos have been a thing since vanilla, they just became more of a thing in P4U2 because Liz doesn't poop out 9k from every hit.

Oh okay. I assumed the fatal counter throw into the corner would've led to it too.

I wonder if I should reconsider learning Aigis lol. More seriously though, I kinda want to watch P4U2 at ArcRevo now to see how the game is really played. I haven't watched the game in a really long time despite intending to get it.

Anne

ah. Do all shadow characters do that much dmg in that no meter mode or just mitsuru

Considering it's custom combo mode, pretty much any good Shadow character will hit you and dump out like 6k minimum. Mitsuru is probably the most consistent and highest though. Honorable mention to Shadow Chie and Narukami though.

Oh okay. I assumed the fatal counter throw into the corner would've led to it too.

I wonder if I should reconsider learning Aigis lol. More seriously though, I kinda want to watch P4U2 at ArcRevo now to see how the game is really played. I haven't watched the game in a really long time despite intending to get it.

You should not because Aigis is better than both those characters. Trust me, I play her lol.

Speaking of I played Grant in some netplay casuals and we both did some neato stuff a couple games. I might upload them later, me and him are going to be going really hard in the next game.

Considering it's custom combo mode, pretty much any good Shadow character will hit you and dump out like 6k minimum. Mitsuru is probably the most consistent and highest though. Honorable mention to Shadow Chie and Narukami though.

I think I've seen something similar with a Kanji player.

I think the whole point of that shadow burst mode is to have access to high damage combos like that.

ah ok

Infinite

Persona 4 Ultimax is definitely gonna be that game that makes me salty when I'm playing but very exciting to watch. Much like another game that's currently out.

I've never understood the appeal of tag games with no assist or more significant synergistic mechanics. It's not really satisfying to me, you just end up withering down two separate life bars and tagging inbetween them when you're in danger.

You're still in danger. Optimization in tag games is a bit of a grey area since in involves an active decision to keep certain characters in match or not. Even if you have a character in back recovering, using that partner as a resource is a bigger liability.

I guess this concept is lost on Marvel players since that game is about watching "movies". Kill the first character then kill the next two with an incoming mixup. Next game. The only time I see someone actively managing red life in that game is ChrisG vs Fchamp.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You're still in danger. Optimization in tag games is a bit of a grey area since in involves an active decision to keep certain characters in match or not. Even if you have a character in back recovering, using that partner as a resource is a bigger liability.

I guess this concept is lost on Marvel players since that game is about watching "movies". Kill the first character then kill the next two with an incoming mixup. Next game. The only time I see someone actively managing red life in that game is ChrisG vs Fchamp.
My point was not that red/gray/whatever life in these games is less strategic, my point was that the synergistic elements are shallower because it's restricted to just having another character to offset matchups. Which does nothing for me because that just further places emphasis on playing the matchup game.

And also, you need to watch more Marvel than just Chris G vs. FChamp if that's the case. Insaynne managing red life with Nova is a beauty to watch. Not only that, but if you're not watching a Wolvie/Doom/Vergil mirror match, I think you're not paying attention if you don't think people are switching the order of characters to manage recoverable life as a resource. Pretty much everyone does that, to different degrees. And letting some characters die is also part of a resource exchange (for X-Factor), which is still a strategic maneuver.

My point was not that red/gray/whatever life in these games is less strategic, my point was that the synergistic elements are shallower because it's restricted to just having another character to offset matchups.

And I think that's a valid point. It's certainly one that a lot of people dislike, especially in games where you can't just pick doubles.
I think it's fine, though. It's a more limited form of team synergy, that's true - but some people don't want to go that deeply into team compositon, and team order lets then dip their toes into it while still playing a game that's mainly 1v1.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'll get into P4U2 when that's out (which is pretty soon for Japan). Just not as hard as I did for the first game.

I think I'm just going to avoid long distance netplay though. This game gets me the most salty online because of how people play. lol

I'll be using Narukami on Wednesday for the P4U2 thing. I only used Rise last time I played, but I should be fine.
I mean, his P4U2 BnBs are simple and everything works, haha.

My point was not that red/gray/whatever life in these games is less strategic, my point was that the synergistic elements are shallower because it's restricted to just having another character to offset matchups. Which does nothing for me because that just further places emphasis on playing the matchup game.

As opposed to 1v1, which you said you preferred

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
And I think that's a valid point. It's certainly one that a lot of people dislike, especially in games where you can't just pick doubles.
I think it's fine, though. It's a more limited form of team synergy, that's true - but some people don't want to go that deeply into team compositon, and team order lets then dip their toes into it while still playing a game that's mainly 1v1.
I suppose, it just feel like it's not going far enough.

I think some of the stuff in SFxTK where you could have two characters come out at once was interesting in concept, but had problems in practice. If that functioned more like the glitch in UMvC3, I wonder what could have came out of that. SFxTK already had way too many problems juggling mechanics though, so something else may need taking out if they wanted to take that idea further.

As opposed to 1v1, which you said you preferred
Absolutely. If you have a game that requires you to make teams, and it just ends up emphasizing 1v1 dynamics, I don't think it's doing it's job well as a team game and would rather just put time into a single character that I really want to play instead of taking a secondary to cover up gaps in my game. But like SousedLouse said above, I suppose some people just prefer the 2v2 format's level of complexity. MvC can be daunting at times, perhaps even convuluted when you factor in exploits and ways to abuse the engine. Nothing wrong with parsimony either.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'll get into P4U2 when that's out (which is pretty soon for Japan). Just not as hard as I did for the first game.

I think I'm just going to avoid long distance netplay though. This game gets me the most salty online because of how people play. lol

I'll be using Narukami on Wednesday for the P4U2 thing. I only used Rise last time I played, but I should be fine.
I mean, his P4U2 BnBs are simple and everything works, haha.

I think I might get into it. Becoming anime has become a difficult transformation.

Shito

I'll get into P4U2 as well, even though I leave on holidays a few days after its Japanese release, so by the time I come back there will be like 2 Europeans playing it, with a pretty big headstart on me. ^^
And I'll probably have to retire my Liz and switch main... :/

Absolutely. If you have a game that requires you to make teams, and it just ends up emphasizing 1v1 dynamics, I don't think it's doing it's job well as a team game and would rather just put time into a single character that I really want to play instead of taking a secondary to cover up gaps in my game.

I would argue that the game that requires you to keep both members of your team alive is a stronger team game than the game endorses this:

uhgTh2v.jpg

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I would argue that the game that requires you to keep both members of your team alive is a stronger team game than the game endorses this:

uhgTh2v.jpg
Marvel encourages keeping all of your characters alive, it hardly endorses putting yourself in a situation where you lose most of your toolset on purpose (I realize you're just trolling now so I'll let that be).

However, in a disadvantageous state, I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong with a game giving you the opportunity to trade part of your toolset for a temporary gain of another toolset. X-Factor is fine as a mechanic, Vergil is obviously not as a character. That shitty Neo shirt speaks more to balance than it does the durability of team mechanics.

Top Bottom