• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Dec 15-21 | I did the math; it came out to 500,000

ShinMaruku

ive never played a moba, so excuse my ignorance but whats the big deal about them? they are seemingly like 30 million times more popular and well regarded than fighting games. always hear about how amazingly deep they are so maybe i should check one out?
Mobas are a mixed bag when coming to popluarity 2 games hold 90% of the market and those games are HUGE. Why they are huge is they are free so a lot of people have tried it, it start off simple enough before they really ramp up and get really deep. But what they have that makes them hold on to their numbers is the huge player base allows for a much better settling of skill levels for players.

They have enough people that most skill levels can be catered to. Fighting games always have too small of a player pool for them to have many different skill buckets and as a result a newer player is thrown to the wolves and they quit or they don't even try.

I think part of the new player problem can be dealt with a more even spread and less skill gulfs for people to pass

That's great for offline play, but you tell me how to do it online and I'll rest my case. Especially when online is an important part of todays fighting games. Combos can be done on muscle memory. Wake up, not so good.

I think they designed that system for people offline and never really thought how to take care of it only. Its caught between being old school but trying to appeal to new players and it does not do the latter too well.

Kimosabae

Banned
ok, glad we agree

Which is more often the case than not in internet debates, I feel.

In any case, it's not about locking out newbies or casuals: it's about maintaining the integrity of your gameplay design. When you have a fan/core following in particular. You don't corrode the foundational elements of your design to "expand your market", that's bullshit, and it very rarely pans out. Even when it does work, the casuals come merely because you marketed towards them, not because your design did a damn thing to attract them (and you keep relatively few as long-term fans).

Xrd is a fighting game sequel done absolutely right. The foundational aspects of what the core base loves about the series are still there, while concessions were made to make competent play more accessible to newer people that doesn't degrade that foundation (slightly slower speed, FRCs gone, RC reworked completely et al.). All while adding new things to keep the game feeling new and exciting.

Brawl is a sequel done absolutely wrong. Street Fighter feels like a new game every iteration because it's always trying to cast the widest net, hence why many people won't even play certain games in the series despite being "Street Fighter fans".

Kimo, what I mean is that when you are recovering from knockdown, I think it is fair to have little input buffering. If you can't input the attack when you are able to, that is something you need to work out. Buffering just lends itself to easier wakeup reversals, which, IMO, should be strict. I think it is beneficial to have strict inputs in the neutral.

However, I don't see strict inputs having a strong benefit when combos are involved. This makes something unnecessarily hard, and you have to sit in training mode for hours to get the timing right. No one needs to sit in training mode for hours to get the timing on a reversal right.

I am not explaining myself well, but I basically think that it is fine to buffer inputs to give players a little help in completing their combos as a reward for winning the neutral, but I don't think folks need a single input in the neutral to be made easier.

I don't disagree with this.

Xrd does not have strict input for combos while having hard combos btw.

That's great for offline play, but you tell me how to do it online and I'll rest my case. Especially when online is an important part of todays fighting games. Combos can be done on muscle memory. Wake up, not so good.

That is actually a legitimate concern. But that's not where the average person's concern is based it's based on a shallow feeling of being excluded.

The answer to the problem, from my obviously biased perspective, is to continue to make better netcode an agenda. Online is a supplementation to your fighting game design, not the other way around.

The answer to the problem, from my obviously biased perspective, is to continue to make better netcode an agenda. Online is a supplementation to your fighting game design, not the other way around.
Then you will just have to accept shitty netplay and whatever limits that imposes. Netcode can solve a lot of problems but it won't ever overcome game design limitations. A 2 frame window is simply not friendly to online play.

I see it like the addition of auto-aim/bullet magnetism in Halo 2, to help with online play that Halo 1 never had. Now there are plenty of CE fans who swear only by the first game as Halo and the others as dumbed down casual trash and other hyperbolic statements, but the game fundamentals were still "Halo". The golden triangle of Shoot/Melee/Grenades, equal starts for all players with predictable weapon/power-up spawns on the map for arena style play, a focus on map control and callouts, etc. There were still good players and bad players, good teams and bad teams. Just because the aiming got a bit easier didn't make IGN journalists a threat to MLG professionals. And it was a very popular game, for a variety of skill levels.

I really don't think making some of the basic combos easier, especially in an increasingly online-play focused world, is gonna corrode and ruin Street Fighter. I think there are so many other aspects that make it a competitive game that expanding the frame buffer a little bit isn't gonna fuck the franchise, lol. It'll still be Street Fighter.

petran79

Banned
Mobas are a mixed bag when coming to popluarity 2 games hold 90% of the market and those games are HUGE. Why they are huge is they are free so a lot of people have tried it, it start off simple enough before they really ramp up and get really deep. But what they have that makes them hold on to their numbers is the huge player base allows for a much better settling of skill levels for players.

They have enough people that most skill levels can be catered to. Fighting games always have too small of a player pool for them to have many different skill buckets and as a result a newer player is thrown to the wolves and they quit or they don't even try.

I think part of the new player problem can be dealt with a more even spread and less skill gulfs for people to pass

I think they designed that system for people offline and never really thought how to take care of it only. Its caught between being old school but trying to appeal to new players and it does not do the latter too well.

fighting games are also more tiresome and demanding. 30 minutes playing a fighter, equals 3 hours playing a MOBA

hitsugi

Most people don't have the humility to take that approach.

"I think X character looks cool, I should be able to play him/her if I want. I bought the game. But character X is 'locked away' behind an execution-barrier."

Yes, and we've seen this discussion several times. There's just always going to be two sets of opinions with it :\

Take Chun Li for example.. I can't do lightning leg loops reliably, so I don't bother with her. Can Chun be played effectively without them? Of course. Is she interesting to me without them? No.

I don't play Viper because I can't spam seismo cancels at light speed. Can I do her BNBs that have seismo cancels in them? Yeah.. but again, same point as above.

I can, however, do Evil Ryu's 1f links reliably, so I play him.

I think if someone takes a real interest in a character, they should be willing to put in some time with said character. I don't see the problem with that.

Unfortunately, netcode itself is only going to go so far (in the US anyway) with so many people having horrible connections / wireless play. The input buffers almost seem like an essential thing if online play is to be taken seriously. Otherwise it's just "well I don't do ___ online because ____."

fader

Here's what I don't get Kimosabae, you seem to have the absolutely same ideals as me because I agree with everything you say and you even seem to appreciate how Xrd is non-hardcore user friendly while keeping its integrity. THAT'S MY WHOLE POINT. I love Xrd for it's leniency for newcomers, I love Xrd for keeping it's basic elemental gameplay for it's previous fanbase. That's been my whole point for allowing your game to be user friendly. But you seem to have this idea that I want every fighting game to conform and "sell-out" just to attract an audience, so let me set the record straight.

MVC3 does this poorly.
It's a shitty sequel to one of the greatest and heavily followed fighting game design. Could the tier list of MVC2 be balanced? Yes. Could the Gameplay engine of MVC2 be tweaked to allow more characters to break away from the sinister 4? Yes. but when you completely destroy a gameplay design that has been around for 15 years by using a different gameplay design to make a quick buck off the MVC2 sales, then I have a problem... To me MVC3 is not even MVC3, it's a TVC2 with while trying to look like something from the mvc series. MVC3 did a great job at gaining new marvel fans but did a shitty job at retaining it's previous fanbase which completely counter acts the fans it gained. It does some positives to making the game accessible like changing the control map to a simpler design, and thats it...

Xrd does this perfectly.
It removed a very complicated feature that instituted a unnecessary barrier (FRC) while editing a feature already installed in the series while making it accessible to newbies AND adding a complexity element to competitive play (slo-mo RC). It's fucking genius. (However YRC can be balance a tad bit...) It allows leniency in inputs, it slows the overall gameplay a bit, it upgrades it's graphics to draw eyes to it. All while keeping it's integrity to the little detail of keeping it's similar attack animations to the XX series, not removing focus of okizeme, not "heavily" nerfing characters who were top in the previous iteration cause of "fear". Now there is the reversal frame window... Now I thought about and I can see where they come from with the small frame window for reversals. If they expected and wanted a new fanbase, It's probably instilled so that a certain group of people are able to do reversals. while the other group, who are not afraid to do it all the time wont have access to it freely. If this is the reason, then i concede for it's argument.

TLDR; Games should adapt to allow new fans to come into the series but don't shut out your previous fans who supported you while the newcomers were not even playing. However there are ways to do it wrong (MVC3, Brawl) and there are ways to do it correctly (Xrd, BB, eeeh SF4 a little...). You should make your game accessible to newcomers, there's so many positives to it. It gives your game life and your fanbase more people to play with but it should be done with competitiveness in mind and casual play in mind and it should be done "SMART".

Kumubou

i hear it's insanely imbalanced. is that the case?
The game really isn't that unbalanced (I just would never advise playing Akatsuki or Chaos unless you hate yourself). But....

I was on the UNIEL train early on, but Gordeau is the dumbest braindead shit i've ever seen in FGs.
The issue here is that bad Gordeaus will wipe equally bad players of other characters. You actually have to learn a fair bit about the game and that match-up (in terms of what to shield, how to deal with his wakeup EXs, managing GRD, etc.) before you can minimize the advantage he gets from his easy-mode stuff.

Unfortunately, netcode itself is only going to go so far (in the US anyway) with so many people having horrible connections / wireless play. The input buffers almost seem like an essential thing if online play is to be taken seriously. Otherwise it's just "well I don't do ___ online because ____."
I'm just pulling this aside because this argument always drives me nuts. Yes, you can only do so much about awful Internet connections and high latency. However, the online play can be improved far beyond what we usually get. I think a lot of people don't realize how much it can improve because the only examples of better implementations are in obscure-ass games.

Wow I disagree so much about all the "Xrd is such a perfect balance between hardcore and noobs". That game tries to sit between two chairs and for me it doesn't do anything completly right. It's not a bad game and I enjoy playing but I feel like there's something really wrongly done there. I'll talk about it later maybe, I have to make dinner.

Azure J

Oh shit, so I didn't glitch a few people out using this a while back. I forgot to mention it in all the M O N A D O B O Y S salt I had earlier this week, but this is something that was fucking both me and my opponents up during a For Glory set I played earlier last week.

Why don't people just pick someone on the light side of things?

Speaking only from my own experience, this is a good way to go about things. If I want to play X I'm going to put in the time to learn X. I don't know if anyone remembers just how bad I was at Marvel in the beginning (it was legitimately the first traditional style fighting game I went in depth with; simple things like motions on different sides of the screen were killing me :lol) but just because I had to learn Dante & Strider I kept going. Hell, a big reason why I put out so many videos of little "tech" and things I attempted to do or reasons behind them was to push myself to learn a bit more and find situations where I could apply that "trivia" in my game.

What's more, I was originally going to be a day 1 Viper/Dante/Strider player but I was not ready to use Viper anywhere near competently so I dabbled in Felicia and Amaterasu for a long while. After I finally reached a decent level of execution I finally went back to Viper and just felt so awesome when I was able to learn both Viper-isms and neutral as a whole with the new team.

Doing so also increased the value in the game as over time it felt like I was playing a brand new game/wasn't stagnating when I was handling Viper and the squad felt "complete" to me. If/when I ever pick the game up again, I want to learn Doom so I can have two variants of my two favorite cores (Viper/Strider and Dante/Strider) on top of the main group in Viper/Dante/Strider.

It's scary because it's not some random infinite that you get stuck in and then the opponent either drops it or not. It's scary because it's pressure. Pressure that flows smoothly into setups that get abandoned just as fluidly if they're screwed up, and just an overall rock solid neutral game. He had some bad habits a while ago but I don't get the frail feeling I used to from his neutral anymore either. Whatever the gaps were, he's closed them.

I mean, just watch this stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjvHUYZn-wQ

Damn, this is crazier looking than that Ogawa vs the world a while back. :lol

Speaking only from my own experience, this is a good way to go about things. If I want to play X I'm going to put in the time to learn X. I don't know if anyone remembers just how bad I was at Marvel in the beginning (it was legitimately the first traditional style fighting game I went in depth with; simple things like motions on different sides of the screen were killing me :lol)

Took me over a month to get EX Iori's simple as fuck cr.B cl.B f+A rekka rekka rekka combo down ;_;

Damn, this is crazier looking than that Ogawa vs the world a while back. :lol

Told you he's improved :p

Kimosabae

Banned
I see it like the addition of auto-aim/bullet magnetism in Halo 2, to help with online play that Halo 1 never had. Now there are plenty of CE fans who swear only by the first game as Halo and the others as dumbed down casual trash and other hyperbolic statements, but the game fundamentals were still "Halo". The golden triangle of Shoot/Melee/Grenades, equal starts for all players with predictable weapon/power-up spawns on the map for arena style play, a focus on map control and callouts, etc. There were still good players and bad players, good teams and bad teams. Just because the aiming got a bit easier didn't make IGN journalists a threat to MLG professionals. And it was a very popular game, for a variety of skill levels.

Halo 2 was most definitely Sakurai's version of Halo, don't get it twisted. What happened is that Bungie ended up monumentally failing at maintaining that low-ceiling due to the various glitches and exploits that added layers to the gameplay later on. That, and the competitive/MLG/e-sports thing started to hit the ground running with Halo 2 as the poster child, so Bungie had no choice but to acquiesce to free marketing. But out of the gate, they expressly wanted the game to be less competitive. They changed the weapon spawn system from Halo 1 - 2 precisely because they wanted less map/weapon control, but players figured it out the more convoluted system, anyway (and changing it again once people exploited that, but for different reasons).

In any case, as a Halo CE diehard, despite the fact that I recognize Halo 2 as a quality competitive game, I consider it vastly inferior to the prequel for the simple reason that the game is far less complex.

I really don't think making some of the basic combos easier, especially in an increasingly online-play focused world, is gonna corrode and ruin Street Fighter. I think there are so many other aspects that make it a competitive game that expanding the frame buffer a little bit isn't gonna fuck the franchise, lol. It'll still be Street Fighter.

Never said making combos easier is going to hurt the franchise.

Here's what I don't get Kimosabae, you seem to have the absolutely same ideals as me because I agree with everything you say

As I said earlier, that's how internet discussions usually go. Someone picks a single point of contention and turns into a larger war of perspectives. I don't think any reasonable person would disagree with the crux of what I'm saying.

fader said:
Now there is the reversal frame window... Now I thought about and I can see where they come from with the small frame window for reversals. If they expected and wanted a new fanbase, It's probably instilled so that a certain group of people are able to do reversals. while the other group, who are not afraid to do it all the time wont have access to it freely. If this is the reason, then i concede for it's argument.

That has been the point of contention the entire time. All Guilty Gear Xrd is saying is "In this game, you have to respect your opponent's offense. If you don't want to block on Wakeup, you're going to have to practice Reversal timing."

That's it and I don't see how/why that's a bad thing for some people. Please tell me why a game emphasizing offense and honest blocking is a bad thing. It doesn't keep new players away, I'm sorry. The nature of it being a fighting game is what keeps players away, if anything.

Wow I disagree so much about all the "Xrd is such a perfect balance between hardcore and noobs". That game tries to sit between two chairs and for me it doesn't do anything completly right. It's not a bad game and I enjoy playing but I feel like there's something really wrongly done there. I'll talk about it later maybe, I have to make dinner.

No one said Xrd is perfect. There's definitely shit I don't like (lack of CH states, having to spend 50% Tension on good Oki setups if your opponent is in block/hitstun, the slower pace making abare less prominent et al.) but as a game looking to bring new people in while keeping the integrity of what the previous games have established - this game is fucking awesome.

That said, if I could, I'd go back to +R in a heartbeat. No question.

El Sloth

Banned
UNIEL is praised for its easy combo system. Wonder why that scene isn't more popular, despite all the complaining about links and execution in SF games?
There a reason for that game's lack of popularity, and it ain't the gameplay.
I had a local Marvel 2 player tell me just last Sunday that he thought UNIEL was a trash game. Because of, "all the fucking annoying noises they're fucking making all the time. They just won't shut the fuck up."

I really don't feel it's the combo system that's holding Under Night in Birth:Exe Late back in in the U.S. fighting game scene.

Never said making combos easier is going to hurt the franchise.

Then why even mention all that stuff about "corrode the foundational elements of your design" if you don't think making combos easier was corrosion? that was the only thing anyone was talking about...

Why mention anything at all if you don't disagree with anything I said lol

LordJim

A hidden gem?
Hidden on the disc.
Until Ultra rolled out, I considered it better than all SF4 versions (2013 SFxT that is).
Some of the tekken character movesets are still my favorites in 2D fighters and I am sad we will not see them again, most likely

I had a local Marvel 2 player tell me just last Sunday that he thought UNIEL was a trash game. Because of, "all the fucking annoying noises they're fucking making all the time. They just won't shut the fuck up."

I really don't feel it's the combo system that's holding Under Night in Birth:Exe Late back in in the U.S. fighting game scene.

They don't shut up and the character designs are just pure trash. Gordeau is OK. Rest is trash. Which is sad because the movement feels amazing, combos are doable easily(if too long for their own good, Gord's meterless BnB is, what, 4-6 chunks and takes half a year to do?) and the soundtrack is made of win.

There's always something. When it's not netcode, it's "execution barriers", or the artstyle, or the lack of tutorials. Until Xrd happens and suddenly the tutorial is now tl;dr because apparently there are too many mechanics.

Oh and also all games are dead for some reason.

Kimosabae

Banned

Trust me, I know. That question was largely in response to people that love to claim that easier execution helps attract new players to a game's scene.

Then why even mention all that stuff about "corrode the foundational elements of your design" if you don't think making combos easier was corrosion? that was the only thing anyone was talking about...

Why mention anything at all if you don't disagree with anything I said lol

People are here are just talking about combos but I'm talking about execution-barriers in general.

This discussion is a carry-over from the Xrd OT and Dustloop. You kinda jumped in the middle, there.

stn

If you ignore the stupid gem system and awful music, SFxT at its core is a solid fighting game. Its more Street Fighter than Street Fighter 4. Its literally become a game of fishing for pokes to convert into combos and/or boosts. I'm not a fan of the character balance but the core game is sound.

This discussion is a carry-over from the Xrd OT and Dustloop. You kinda jumped in the middle, there.

Ok, because it feels like you're replying to a conversation thats not actually here.

"I think a frame buffer for combos would be cool"
"People will still find things to complain about, bad kids will still be bad, so lets not mess the game up to appeal to new players"
"well I don't think making combos easier is gonna kill it..."
"me neither!"
"...ok"
"...but you really can't corrode the fundamental design philosophies of your franchise in order to try and appeal to them. Casuals are fickle, and hardcore fans WILL notice."
"well I don't think making combos easier is gonna corrode..."
"never said it would!"
"...o....ok..."

If you ignore the stupid gem system and awful music, SFxT at its core is a solid fighting game. Its more Street Fighter than Street Fighter 4. Its literally become a game of fishing for pokes to convert into combos and/or boosts. I'm not a fan of the character balance but the core game is sound.

I don't really like it if every damn thing converts to a full long-ass combo. One of the better things in SF4 is that it has 1-2 hit combos in neutral and you have to land harder-to-get hits to score the big damage. UNIEL feels much the same that everything ever converts into these combos that just last ages.

Xevren

Speaking honestly that is something that drives me nuts in anime fighters. While I like them I just hate all the damn sounds they make.

JeTmAn81

Speaking honestly that is something that drives me nuts in anime fighters. While I like them I just hate all the damn sounds they make.

I just play fighting games with the sound off.

Anybody experiencing serious lag on PSN USF4 in Edition Select Endless Battle? It's so bad I can't even throw a fireball. It's not like that in ranked.

Kalamari

I think UNIEL had a pretty decent turnout at Winter Brawl, didn't it? Considering it's only been released in Japan, I think that it could have a reasonably strong scene once it releases in the U.S.

CPS2

I still say make all the links easier and just reward players for hitting them in 1 frame with more damage.

Win win.

Everyone can do the combos, but better players get more out of it.

Also a cool flash when you hit the link not only would look badass, but it would help psychologically beat the other player down. Seeing your opponent flash a little with each link they hit would help the salt flow.

That was pretty cool in Soul Calibur (4 at least, can't remember if its the same in the others) with all the just frame moves. Some stuff was only possible with JF inputs but then you had easy version of moves or JF versions, and you'd get different properties on the JF versions.

And yeah I could be watching someone use a character I'm not familiar with, I don't know their frame data, but if they're flashing then I know the player is doing something difficult lol.

Kimosabae

Banned
People definitely complained about harder JFs being introduced in SC3 (1 frame Just Frames). I remember reading arguments against JFs in Tekken on Zaibatsu back in the day.

Do people still even post there?

Cyclical. All this shit.

Ok, because it feels like you're replying to a conversation thats not actually here.

"I think a frame buffer for combos would be cool"
"People will still find things to complain about, bad kids will still be bad, so lets not mess the game up to appeal to new players"
"well I don't think making combos easier is gonna kill it..."
"me neither!"
"...ok"
"...but you really can't corrode the fundamental design philosophies of your franchise in order to try and appeal to them. Casuals are fickle, and hardcore fans WILL notice."
"well I don't think making combos easier is gonna corrode..."
"never said it would!"
"...o....ok..."

ok, glad we agree

There were a lot of bad people online though, you would've been fine. lol

Nah, I got really bodied. The game is neat but I never really put time into it and mostly bought it because I wanted a new fighting game to play. I think I was like 1-12 or 2-12 (something around that) when I played, lol

CPS2

People definitely complained about harder JFs being introduced in SC3 (1 frame Just Frames). I remember reading arguments against JFs in Tekken on Zaibatsu back in the day.

Do people still even post there?

Cyclical. All this shit.
I got a bit annoyed by some of the JFs being harder in 5 compared to 4, and even in 4 there was some stuff I just never managed to do, ever. I can usually grind out difficult combos and learn them eventually but it does suck to just never be able to do this one move thats really useful. I like the idea of JFs though, just that some of the regular versions were fairly useless and the downside is that if you're not flashing you can feel like a noob. Missing a link in SF is called a frame trap though an its an advanced technique and leads to counterhit combos, and I totally do it on purpose yeah...

Prototype

That was pretty cool in Soul Calibur (4 at least, can't remember if its the same in the others) with all the just frame moves. Some stuff was only possible with JF inputs but then you had easy version of moves or JF versions, and you'd get different properties on the JF versions.

And yeah I could be watching someone use a character I'm not familiar with, I don't know their frame data, but if they're flashing then I know the player is doing something difficult lol.
Ya, the just frame thing is close to what I'm saying. It works well and allows all players to do things but those who practice get some extra options, and ya, seeing the flash tells you-hey this guy knows his shit.

It also makes your combos look more flashy, pun intended.

A system like this SF could work really well. University 2 frame links, but a bonus for hitting it in one frame with some kind of visual cue.

Edit. The only difference is that I'd make it just a damage increase and not a mechanical one.

lmao the Smash Bros subreddit is so fucking dumb, two Apex qualifiers (Forte 2 and PNR) aren't stickied and instead there's a sticky for a "stage testing" tournament for Smash 4 with the likes of (hold your laughter for just a second) Luigi's Mansion, Mario Circuit, Mushroom Kingdom U, and Port Town Aero Dive

edit: oh nvm the sticky for the Apex qualifiers is back up, lol

lmao the Smash Bros subreddit is so fucking dumb, two Apex qualifiers (Forte 2 and PNR) aren't stickied and instead there's a sticky for a "stage testing" tournament for Smash 4 with the likes of (hold your laughter for just a second) Luigi's Mansion, Mario Circuit, Mushroom Kingdom U, and Port Town Aero Dive
smh

Port Town could be good if you could grab the ledges tho :(

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
Lol Luigi's Mansion? Really?

Top Bottom