• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 27 - Feb 2 | The Power of Gamers

commentator playing ability tiers

S: Yipes
A+: pre-crisis UltraDavid
A-: peak James Chen
D: post-crisis UltraDavid, modern James Chen

man i often try to leave subtle trollages for james on here because i'm pretty sure he reads through, but they never seem to work :(

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
MLG lost money every year for 10 years straight or something, and IPL was bleeding extreme amounts of money, so I guess it's Esports logic.

You gotta lose money to make money, bro.

There's losing money

and then there's just giving it away for nothing

and then after that is what this is I think

jbug617

Banned
Art said he was stopped and frisk. 5 Cops rolled up on him and friends outside and said they were smoking weed. They took issue to his e-cig

Cops ran his name and said he had a warrant. The warrant was from not appearing to a summons for staying too late at the park 7 yrs ago. Went before a judge and the judge said the cops were wasting time with this and dropped everything. DA also apologize for this.

Art said he was stopped and frisk. 5 Cops rolled up on him and friends outside and said they were smoking weed. They took issue to his e-cig

Cops ran his name and said he had a warrant. The warrant was from not appearing to a summons for staying too late at the park. Went before a judge and the judge said the cops were wasting time with this and dropped everything.

the judge is a stream monster and probably a mod too.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
For anyone who tuned into my stream this weekend, was the quality selector actually available?

Anyway, I just got around to this post:

nycfurby said:
Did you buy the lag tester? Can you show me the photograph? looking to get one myself.
Also are you using the XCapture1 on your stream? Just wondering. I'm thinking of getting one for arcade capture based on your review.
I don't have the Leo Bodnar lag tester, although that thing does seem pretty solid. It's just too pricey for my blood considering that I already have other means of testing my own equipment, even if that device is slightly more precise and convenient. One problem, though, is that a lot of people don't seem to know how to do a proper control test with that thing or interpret the results correctly (making sure that they analyze the right parts of the screen, making sure that they note whether their numbers are raw or just the difference from a CRT for comparison, etc.) and it kind of throws off some of the data that's out there.

I've been using the XCAPTURE-1 for everything lately. For arcade game capture or retro consoles I think the best options are between that, the StarTech PEXHDCAP, or Micomsoft's PCI cards.

Dahbomb

That subtle jab against S-Kill/Capcom:

subtle_jab.jpg

For anyone who tuned into my stream this weekend, was the quality selector actually available?

Anyway, I just got around to this post:

I don't have the Leo Bodnar lag tester, although that thing does seem pretty solid. It's just too pricey for my blood considering that I already have other means of testing my own equipment, even if that device is slightly more precise and convenient. One problem, though, is that a lot of people don't seem to know how to do a proper control test with that thing or interpret the results correctly (making sure that they analyze the right parts of the screen, making sure that they note whether their numbers are raw or just the difference from a CRT for comparison, etc.) and it kind of throws off some of the data that's out there.

I've been using the XCAPTURE-1 for everything lately. For arcade game capture or retro consoles I think the best options are between that, the StarTech PEXHDCAP, or Micomsoft's PCI cards.

it was available saturday, but not friday.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot

Cops ran his name and said he had a warrant. The warrant was from not appearing to a summons for staying too late at the park 7 yrs ago. Went before a judge and the judge said the cops were wasting time with this and dropped everything. DA also apologize for this.

Yeah, I was about to come post about it too. It wasn't a joke after all.

Yo guys, as if Persona 4 the Ultimax wasn't broken enough, people are discovering secret supers! Some have weirder conditions than others, but here's two I've seen vids of so far:

Yu Narukami - requires 150 meter + a series of inputs to follow up the super (i.e. Deadly Rave)
Aigis - EXO mode, which gives her multiple Orgia dashes per jump and refills her bullets and broken Persona cards, but requires 150 meter, a broken Persona, 0 bullets, and overheated Orgia mode.

Between this stuff, Shadow Rage ridiculousness, and Brokenoe in BBCP, Arc's staff in charge of balance must all be working on Guilty Gear Xrd.
or they all got fired because BBCS:E was boring as hell

lol wtf

You skipped the part where he was giving out "FUCK YOUs™(by Gootecks)" to all the people hating on him. And thanking for all the people that supported him during his endeavor.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Bloomberg is also the one to blame for stop and frisk BS. At least things turned out fine otherwise shazam! Art would have to reveal his Bollywood fighting skills.

sorry fsp, tonight's the night ultrachentv goes over the ghandi match

I think its relevant for people who watch your show; people that take time/effort to learn the game only to be mentally guard broken by the decisions of your opponent. It doesn't help that Rufus has meh anti-airs.

smurfx

get some go again
i think the wet fish they're using on the top of the wheel of fate is hilarious, floppin around all back n forth up there

edit: i'm really interested in the business side of things. so up to $25k in prizes (even if no one ends up winning that, they have to have it on hand just in case) + flying out all the people there aka a good $15-20k + all the production value aka i have no idea how much money

and what's the expected payoff? who's footing the bill and why? i don't really get it
every time somebody has had to ask this about an fgc event it usually ends in a bad way.

Shouta

In response to our conversation on twitter, Alex (Valle). I think most FGC productions currently are very good, particularly because of the nature of the content that's being provided. A lot of the extra bells and whistles from the Fight Night show were really nice but I'd prioritize it after fitting more matches in.

That's the key thing about FGs over say MOBAs or RTS. We can fit a lot more content because the game is done within 5-15 minutes. Things like replays, player intervews, etc are great but they're secondary to seeing more of the game. That is the meat of what viewers are seeing. When you watch pro sports, many of the additional items that you're seeing are fit between the games themselves during timeouts, breaks, or half-time, etc. However, they will always take a backseat to when the actual game is going on. A good example was during the NFC Championship game two weeks ago between the Seahawks and 49ers. They cut to a commercial but because of the way the officiating worked out, they ran a play during it so they literally had to cut from the commercial back to the game for that play then back to the commercial again lest they get the fans really mad.

So I'd say that I think we're OK with how the FGC streams are running for live events. Perhaps work on the event presentation at the event itself instead of the stream but I don't think there needs to be a lot of extra bells and whistles unless it's stock footage.

If there's a trend where smaller events like exhibition matches show up like what's going on with Fight NIght, then I think upping the production and quality to attract more viewers would be important. But for live events, I'd rather watch pool play over interviews whenever possible. Increasing the presentation at the event itself would also be something. I think CEO did an amazing job of that and it was fun to watch as a result.

CaliPower

Neo Member
Some things I said about ESGN on Twitter:

"I like the efforts being put on by ESGN. Something different to watch supporting some of our best players/personalities. Always room 4 more!

I wouldn't nitpick on the production quality so much as to the potential of the show. Producing shows is that new new to bring in eyes.

What's cool about ESGN Fight Night, they put on a show that made you think of the community rather than just the match being played."

P.S. Not moving out of SoCal lol

Shouta

Some things I said about ESGN on Twitter:

"I like the efforts being put on by ESGN. Something different to watch supporting some of our best players/personalities. Always room 4 more!

I wouldn't nitpick on the production quality so much as to the potential of the show. Producing shows is that new new to bring in eyes.

What's cool about ESGN Fight Night, they put on a show that made you think of the community rather than just the match being played."

P.S. Not moving out of SoCal lol

I would agree on it being a cool format for sure and it has great potential. I just was expecting them to be a bit sharper on that production end because like the FPS was wonky and etc.

I'm fine with it for being in a show format as well, I just think the FGC has the right idea for how they're doing live events currently and it's working well, for the most part.

Top Bottom