• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 1-7 | QAisTopTier

IronLich

That was a pretty fun tournament. Amazing how they had enough to shoot through it in one day. Loved Clockwork winning, loved watching Snake Eyes play because I'm trying to get better with Gief, and Krayzie keeping the hive warm.

I wasn't watching the exhibitions because I was all over Top 8, but man, that gives me something to do tomorrow.

Went 3-2 at a local tournament with Kenshi, shoutouts to NRS patches because I won my matches by zoning and got bopped when they got close. Lost to 2 sub zeroes since the slip n slide goes under Kenshi's stand. I really wish he had an overhead in balanced lol.

shaowebb

Jack-O footage. Might get taken down soon.

Why were they goin' in? Looks like with the jumping multiple akuma angle fireball and minion spawning bags that this is meant to be a jump back character who lays out spawning creatures and utilizes her airdash to check folks runnning in. Reminds me of an odd new take on the Testament and Bridget shenanigans from Guilty Gear XX. I played sooooooo much Testament.

Also good luck seeing me play fighters for awhile. Splatoon owns my soul. I'll say high to Azure-J for ya lol (he's hooked too).

Dai101

Banned
god i hate arcsys games

q2S9UYs.gif

How can you hate this character, though?

Arcsys continues to innovate with fighting game character design. Out of all the fighting games I've played I feel theirs are the most diverse in terms of how each character is different from the rest.

That guy who offed Jack-O seemed serious :(

In the stream he said he didn't realize that he had won the first round. I guess standard etiquette is to let one person have a round to test things, next round the other person does the same, then third/final round you fight for real.

Jack-O looks like my kind of character. pet bullshit without all the extra button pressing. Wheeee.

These pets you don't control apparently. You can set the pumpkin things and power them up but the minions spawn and move on their own.

They also can't kill you so you can't just sit on the other side of the screen and let them do all the work (I guess this would only happen against newbies or under 20f netplay situations).

Can't wait to see someone play Jack-O competently, as in to show what she is capable when her whole move set is utilized.

shaowebb

Arcsys continues to innovate with fighting game character design. Out of all the fighting games I've played I feel theirs are the most diverse in terms of how each character is different from the rest.

Been saying this for awhile. They make stuff exciting and fresh and its worth the time to play their games. Gets old just carrying over the same old stuff between games. Feels great having new things to work with and figure out strats for. Sort of like when I learned Modok.

I haven't been playing fighting games for long, but I have yet to have as much fun with fighting games as I have during the launch week of ultimax. Its my favorite fighting game for a reason.

shaowebb

I haven't been playing fighting games for long, but I have yet to have as much fun with fighting games as I have during the launch week of ultimax. Its my favorite fighting game for a reason.

I just got that game. Its kind of nuts on mechanics and was a bit wild goin in. Are the combos generally related to linking Persona attacks into either square button mashable combos or LHL(persona atk)?

So far thats what I was finding worked. Trying to play the archer girl and Aigis.

Shouta

These pets you don't control apparently. You can set the pumpkin things and power them up but the minions spawn and move on their own.

They also can't kill you so you can't just sit on the other side of the screen and let them do all the work (I guess this would only happen against newbies or under 20f netplay situations).

Can't wait to see someone play Jack-O competently, as in to show what she is capable when her whole move set is utilized.

aye, i.e. my kind of bullshit. It's why I love Koromaru so much, one button pet-ness without anything extra necessary.

petghost

Banned
Jack o look like she got some tools for dedicated zoning which is somewhat new to gear. Hope she turns out to be a zoner.

To be fair tho I though ram was gonna be a zoner when I first saw her and I guess she turned into a pressure/setup monster or something?

I just got that game. Its kind of nuts on mechanics and was a bit wild goin in. Are the combos generally related to linking Persona attacks into either square button mashable combos or LHL(persona atk)?

So far thats what I was finding worked. Trying to play the archer girl and Aigis.

Depends on the character really, but usually you're linking from human (A or B) into your Persona attacks (C or D) since the Persona attacks are generally much slower than the humans. Though there are characters that are certainly the exception. A lot of combos for certain characters start from your auto combo (which is just mash 5A) until it derives into something else. I main Yukari (the archer) and a lot of her combos start from 5AAA into other moves. though she also has a ton that start up from CH. There's the advanced stuff like OMC, but it shares the same meter as the burst and would rather save it for that. And then there's the awakening mechanic which is probably one of my favorites ever because you can pull off some crazy combos into unlocked supers into even more combos with certain characters.

Ultimax is definitely the most friendly Arcsys game. It can be played casual and you can do cool stuff, but you can go really deep into its mechanics and just beast other players
unless you're playing against Minazuki and Margaret tho.

Tripon

I have no idea why UCI would do this. I went to UCI and I know they have built a T1 system to handle internet traffic on their own, so to put data caps on an event that relies on a constant stream is mind boggling to me.

Tripon

Isn't SCR over? What did they mean by prelude

Due to SCR not being able to use their venue in Anaheim, Valle rescheduled SCR to be in October at the Ontario Conference Center.

In the meantime, he scheduled two smaller events at UCI, with the first one happening this weekend. The 2nd one should happen sometime in August at UCI as well.

Thores

So, E3 is in a week, and I'm gonna put together a little what-to-expect section in OP for the event. What do we know for what to expect for fighting games at E3? This is all I've got:

- Pretty much an all-but-confirmed appearance of SFV at Sony's conference in some capacity
- Sega only showing one title, and it's not VF6
- Bandai Namco listed as exhibiting a multiplatform fighting game title, which is probably Tekken 7 playable on the show floor but there are murmurs of a Soul Calibur V announcement. Could be both or could be one.

What else?

-Killer Instinct Season 3 is incredibly likely. There's no explicit hint it'll be revealed at E3 instead of EVO or something, and it might be too early for IG to have anything since they're still wrapping up S2, but it's definitely coming.
-Lucas is being released for SSB4 on Nintendo Direct Day. The Direct will probably follow up with a new DLC character announcement. Rumors point toward Roy (Fire Emblem) and/or Ryu (Street Fighter).
-Rivals of Aether is releasing a new trailer revealing its 5th and 6th characters in the middle of June. As an Xbox One (and PC) exclusive indie game, it might get featured by Microsoft at E3 in some capacity.

petghost

Banned
How many people in this thread have never Mained a male character or are way more drawn to females in fgs? How about the opposite? I don't really care what sex the char is myself but I feel like a lot of people stick to one gender ie I think max said he prefers to play male characters.

Top Bottom